List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
So are you OK with the club being sloppy? This is 2 players in the current draft pool that were not properly registered in our NGA programme. What worries me is that these 2 oversights smell like we are struggling. We either have too much for the team to do or not the right people in the right place.

I pledged my membership fees in 2020 because I wanted the club to remain strong. I could not give a rats ar$e about making more money in the current climate and would be happy to run at a small loss of a couple of years to remain intact.

This has nothing to do with whether Erasmus would be available post pick 20.

Exactly

What people also aren’t understanding either is if Erasmus was tied to our NGA program, clubs might be hesitant to take him before our pick 10, especially interstate clubs and Fremantle would probably even have second thoughts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The list management team could well and truly be supported by commercial departments in the club and hence they would not count to the soft cap. The list management team would value extra input from finance, HR and legal resources that can credibly sit in the commercial side of a club. Is it fair? I hardly think the AFL will audit the timesheets of the club's staff.

I am not happy we dropped the indigenous welfare office role. Again, a role that does not have to show up in the soft cap. There are many different ways to divvy up costs that would well and truly pass the audit from the AFL.

Exactly

What people also aren’t understanding either is if Erasmus was tied to our NGA program, clubs might be hesitant to take him before our pick 10, especially interstate clubs and Fremantle would probably even have second thoughts as well.

I think that's a bit of an over simplification. If they are talented enough clubs aren't going to hesitate to pick them up.

Fremantle is going to be in a similar boat with Jesse Motlop and Melbourne are going to miss out on Mac Andrew from their respective NGA's.

That sounds like it was a Mr & Mrs Erasmus oversight, not the clubs
Yeah mainly. But does the club not have any idea about which kids in the WAFL talent systems (pre-colts U14/15 squads) are NGA prospects?

If they had any hint of an inside word from Subiaco about how good Erasmus was then surely a follow up call to the family wouldn’t have been out of place? He played in a colts GF as an underager so I assumed he’d come through the full talent pathway.

Didn’t Erasmus get told he didn’t qualify as a NGA because of his parentage?

Except we couldn’t anyway if he goes in the top 20. Which he will.

Yeah bit that's not the point. I think it's more the fact we totally cooked it with pathetic administration/list management. Total shit show. As Asterix said, just sloppy.

If he was taken at pick 21 how dumb would we look?

If anything we should consider ourselves lucky he's a top 10 prospect.

All the NGA stuff is probably a moot point.

Freo will probably take Erasmus ahead of us.

Can’t help but get the feeling though we’ve been in his ear about pulling out of all the WA games with a corky. Very little in the way of highlights due to predominantly playing PSA footy.

NGA MISS LEAVES WINGMAN UP FOR GRABS

West Australian wingman Arthur Jones will be available in the main NAB AFL Draft pool after it emerged West Coast did not sign him as a Next Generation Academy prospect.

There has been recent interest in Jones from AFL clubs since an eye-catching performance for WA in the under-19s clash against South Australia on Grand Final day.

The 18-year-old Claremont youngster also enjoyed a strong end to his school and WAFL colts seasons, leading to a club invite for him to test at the Draft Combine next week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erasmus parents got an email they did not understand so ignored it. If the club was doing the right thing, it would have been visit or at least a phone call.

Makes you realise these NGA's are most likely a façade for zoning assuming you have a different racial background or born overseas. Sometimes there is a need for additional support to get the person to an AFL level.

Knowing the Claremont system with Jones, I would say Claremont development did more than West Coast in contacting him. It feels like we complain about Freo's NGA pool while in reality it sounds like we are sulking it up and or ignoring the pool.
Can confirm NGA is a dodge. One parent born OS is enough if kids are born here and have dual citizenship. Marketing, marketing, marketing

Yeah bit that's not the point. I think it's more the fact we totally cooked it with pathetic administration/list management. Total sh*t show. As Asterix said, just sloppy.

If he was taken at pick 21 how dumb would we look?

If anything we should consider ourselves lucky he's a top 10 prospect.
Everyone’s pretty quick to assume it was a **** up.

Someone on here said ages ago that he didn’t qualify because his parents are white South African, so he’s come from an English speaking background not a multicultural background.

Listening to that podcast, he said “Mum and Dad didn’t take too much interest in the emails, regrettably we couldn’t get on the list”. That could mean either a stuff up or a knock back.

NGA MISS LEAVES WINGMAN UP FOR GRABS

West Australian wingman Arthur Jones will be available in the main NAB AFL Draft pool after it emerged West Coast did not sign him as a Next Generation Academy prospect.

There has been recent interest in Jones from AFL clubs since an eye-catching performance for WA in the under-19s clash against South Australia on Grand Final day.

The 18-year-old Claremont youngster also enjoyed a strong end to his school and WAFL colts seasons, leading to a club invite for him to test at the Draft Combine next week.
Nooooo

People reporting that the Suns / North deal for the Suns pick 19 has fell through. The deal was Norths future 2nd for pick 19 and Macpherson

Think it’d be worth asking the Suns if our future 2nd and something minor next year gets it done.

Pick 19 would be handy.

Macpherson`s contact with Suns is part of the deal ..

Just to put some bloodlines into the Arthur Jones saga, he is from Mt Barker...and his Mum is a Krakouer.

Bit off topic here
But how did the old father son system work prior to the points system ? Did the club just sign said player if they were eligible and agreed to join the eligible club?

For example did we sign Ben pre draft or did we have to match bids/ use draft picks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back