List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Foley gonna silence the doubters.
Should never even have been dropped.
mankind-sock.gif

No Arthur Jones it appears as an NGA prospect.... seems like a bit of a shambles on our part?

This club is a mess.

We have the most money in the league and yet seemingly struggling the most with dealing with the soft cap. Amateur mistakes like this, poor old Vozzo on personal leave, not to mention Glass quitting a plumb job he had been aspiring for only to quit and go work for some water filter place in Osborne Park or whatever. Where is our soft cap money going? This isnt working. if we are struggling so much and can't figure out where the club is leaking money, lets go rogue and pay over the soft cap and get taxed. Spend that money and become powerful again. Its doing us absolutely no good sitting in our bank account.

Already preparing to go full postal after all the Erasmus talk the past few pages; whether we pick him, he's available at our pick and we don't pick him, or he's taken earlier and we didn't trade up the draft order to pick him.

Regardless, it'll be all about Folding the Woosha on draft night.

You don't fold the Woosh mate the Woosh folds you. ;)

This club is a mess.

We have the most money in the league and yet seemingly struggling the most with dealing with the soft cap. Amateur mistakes like this, poor old Vozzo on personal leave, not to mention Glass quitting a plumb job he had been aspiring for only to quit and go work for some water filter place in Osborne Park or whatever. Where is our soft cap money going? This isnt working. if we are struggling so much and can't figure out where the club is leaking money, lets go rogue and pay over the soft cap and get taxed. Spend that money and become powerful again. Its doing us absolutely no good sitting in our bank account.

No but us paying over soft cap goes straight into Victorian club pockets with all the penalties.

The reason we struggle with soft cap is precisely because we have money. We are used to splashing the cash as opposed to making it efficient. We don’t know how to do that.

A small business is always more efficient than a big corporation.

Luke Foley needs to be in our best 22 next year, he shown immense promise in the 5 or so games he played in 2021, actually takes the game on, has a decent burst of acceleration and offers more than some of our other HBF options

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes he does.

I will put my hand up and say that when we drafted him, I was pissed as I wanted Luke Valente, ( before both Foley and XON ), who went to the Violet Crumbles the very next pick after Foley.

After drafting him I was tracked Foley's progress in the WAFL ........ I thought he underwhelmed big time.

Then two seasons ago watching Foley in his debut game against North he looked like a deer in the headlight, showed zero poise and appeared very timid, I went away from that game thinking he had confirmed in my mind that he was a bust.

The only two from the 2018 National Draft I was happy with having selected were : Williams and Cameron.
I was also thrilled that we got the smokie Hedwards as I had seen a couple of his games that he played for Swans but he was always getting injured, I knew the Crumbles were also keen on him, God bless them they redrafted Ethan Hughes and let Harry slide to us. 😀

Now Foley has made a liar of me and has shown some very encouraging form in 2021.

So I put my hand up and say I got that one badly wrong. 🙋‍♂️

Oh and Valente has done diddly squat at the Crumbles, so I pooped that one up too. 🤦‍♂️

I still hold high hopes for Williams, but it would be nice if he got a wriggle on, as the Almighty NN is coming to end in the not to distant future and it would be nice if the Big Fella was then up to speed to take over from our once in a generation athletic freak.

This club is a mess.

If our WAFL side cost $1M that was in the cap, on top of the $3M COVID cuts, I can see why the club was caught so short this year. Still bad management to let it happen in 2021, but its clear they are now addressing it by ditching the WAFL team and hiring new coaches.

Yes he does.

I will put my hand up and say that when we drafted him, I was pissed as I wanted Luke Valente, ( before both Foley and XON ), who went to the Violet Crumbles the very next pick after Foley.

After drafting him I was tracked Foley's progress in the WAFL ........ I thought he underwhelmed big time.

Then two seasons ago watching Foley in his debut game against North he looked like a deer in the headlight, showed zero poise and appeared very timid, I went away from that game thinking he had confirmed in my mind that he was a bust.

The only two from the 2018 National Draft I was happy with having selected were : Williams and Cameron.
I was also thrilled that we got the smokie Hedwards as I had seen a couple of his games that he played for Swans but he was always getting injured, I knew the Crumbles were also keen on him, God bless them they redrafted Ethan Hughes and let Harry slide to us. 😀

Now Foley has made a liar of me and has shown some very encouraging form in 2021.

Oh and Valente has done diddly squat at the Crumbles, so I pooped that one up too. 🤦‍♂️

I still hold high hopes for Williams, but it would be nice if he got a wriggle on, as the Almighty NN is coming to end in the not to distant future and it would be nice if the Big Fella was then up to speed to take over from our once in a generation athletic freak.

Best post in this whole thread. Honest and great insight.

Yes he does.

Completely agree with your post in every aspect.

I think Foley could potentially be our new disposer off the back flank with some run and pace…. Although there could be several candidates for that with a game style that actually encourages that style of play 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting SPS for pick 50 is amazing business. I think SPP will cost a bit more but if If we end up with our earlier picks and Brander still on the table it's a great start to the trade period and potentially the draft.

Agreed, S.Petrevski-Seton for pick 52 is an enviable low potential risk, high potential reward situation that it seemingly before us.

On the other hand, I do not see a pathway to how S.Powell-Pepper becomes an Eagle during this trade period without something ridiculous occurring.

He's under contract and has flagged no intention [publicly at least] of requesting a trade. Even if West Coast were to table an offer that is agreeable to Port Adelaide, there remains the issue of finding space within the cap for his contract.

So pick 68 with Port Adelaide taking on a significant portion of his salary then? ;)

Is it though?

If he gets drafted mid-year and doesn't play (or gets limited game-time and shows little, or worse gets injured) then he could be off a list in less than 6 months. No other team will pick him up and he's back to trying to make it from the WAFL but end of next year he will be another year older (which doesn't help in getting drafted).

Stick it out @ WAFL level, where he was having a decent year already (at the time of the mid-year-draft) and he gives himself a better crack @ 2 years guaranteed.

Add to that he may have been taken by a Vic or NSW club, so that would mean no more tier 2 games for the remainder of 2021 - plus having to move on short notice (I've got no idea what he does for work etc - but there may have been implications there).
Yep fair play. Guess it's a sign that he backed himself in

I think we actually botched the paperwork that would have seen Neil Erasmus aligned to us as an NGA player given he was born in South Africa.

Pretty sure on a podcast with Nat Edwards and Cal Twomey he mentioned something about his parents getting the emails about the Academy but neither party (WCE or the Erasmuses) followed up in great detail even though he is a West Coast fan.

Club tried again late to get access under NGA rules but by the time it was clear he was so highly rated it was overruled by the VFL.
Wouldn't have mattered anyhow as he will go well inside top 20. But nevertheless is a sign that we're starting to **** things up

Yes he does.

Great post.

I too have been pleasantly surprised with what we are getting from Foley, his transition from skinny Masten replacement to hard-edged defender is beyond what I thought he was capable of.

You're not alone in your previous judgment of Valente either - I was keen on us picking him up that draft as well.

The list management team could well and truly be supported by commercial departments in the club and hence they would not count to the soft cap. The list management team would value extra input from finance, HR and legal resources that can credibly sit in the commercial side of a club. Is it fair? I hardly think the AFL will audit the timesheets of the club's staff.

I am not happy we dropped the indigenous welfare office role. Again, a role that does not have to show up in the soft cap. There are many different ways to divvy up costs that would well and truly pass the audit from the AFL.

Jetta to Pies as a player / mentor. Is that a rumor or happening?

One way to beat the soft cap.

Especially when ladhams has a heavly back ended last year to run on his contract and have asked him to look elsewhere .

Its a salary dump plain and simple but they want an awesome pick for the privilege of getting him off their list.

Recon we should steer clear of dealing with Port. They have a reputation for being massive campaigners at the trade table. Just leave SPP until he is out of contract.

Just offer what we are prepared to pay and no more, simple.

You never know, Port may have eyes on a Shiel and need to free up cap and list space. They may have decided to cut SPP due to off field issues.

If we land him cheap fine. Pick 35 would be the absolute max.

If we miss him then either Clark or Rogers at 35 would do the job.

Port owe us anyway. Shafted us with Ebert and then poached Lycett as a fa.

For WAFL watchers, who is the next Clarke, Rogers, Kelly, Ryan etc., so someone that is age 22'ish, with potential to see some serious improvement over the next two years and hit 24'ish, when all these players seem to be picked up.

Former top 6 pick who has stagnated to the point he can't get a game for a bottom 6 team .

I'm not talking about Richard tambling either

And has not been offered a contract.

Check out the Blues board, some pretty unrealistic / arrogant demands over there.

They seem to forget getting Martin and now that Swans mid for nothing. Then get snooty when a failed pick 6 wont get them a 2nd rounder.

Completely agree with your post in every aspect.

I think Foley could potentially be our new disposer off the back flank with some run and pace…. Although there could be several candidates for that with a game style that actually encourages that style of play 🤷‍♂️

Foley reminds me of Heath Shaw, decent pace and rebound ability.

Could hold down a pocket for the next 10 years. If we win footy lotto could be a decent winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back