List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I think the angst is more because our contested ball in the middle was absolutely sh*t for the last couple of years, we had the chance to draft someone who could have potentially helped fix this and instead we performed the patented O'Brien HBF maneuver.
It's frustrating because virtually everyone in the world (except for our draft team) can identify that winning contested possessions in the midfield is an area we are seriously lacking in and year after year we draft every position except that one.
Thats fine, but we don't know if eagles rated these other guys who people are losing it over.

Go look at previous years and guarantee you will find sky falling posts almost every year over some bloke who was a supposedly an a grade mid, who is now working at a kebab shop somewhere.

We do have a weakness at contested possession, but taking a player based on position when you don't internally rate them isn't the way to go either. And I'm not saying players like Hobbs won't be a gun (frankly I have no idea, amazed at how many experts we have here).

Also I'd argue our defecencies through the middle isn't necessarily a cattle issue. The gameplan stinks for a few years now and I think a lot of it is between the ears. That being said there is forsure a need to get more young mids in. But let's see how it all plays out.

Chesser does address an area of desperate need IMO. He said in one of those interviews that he's most comfortable on the wing, and besides gaff we've basically had a revolving door of part-timers/ spuds through that position, none of whom had anything resembling speed.

I'm pumped. The guy seems like a great dude (culture is important to success, and maybe we lost a bit of this when Masto, Jetta, and Shcoey got the boot), and will hopefully help us address our woefully slow/stagnant ball movement.

Are posters on here really expecting Luke Edwards, Xavier O’Neill, Isiah Winder, Zane Trew and mid season draftee Connor West to be the panacea for our midfield woes?

Serious cliff approaching for our starting midfield group. End of next season I’d imagine the average age would be close to 29 between Shuey, Kelly, Yeo, Redden and Sheed.

Would be as thrilled as anyone if Chesser turns into a best 22 midfielder but gee it seems unnecessarily speculative given the state of our list.

Hopefully we can add some players that are bona fide (i.e. played all their junior football on ball) inside/contested midfielders tomorrow.

Why pick a player that didn't want to leave home? Not wise at all.
I am all aboard the Chesser pick. 👍

Don't get this line of reasoning at all - our player retention is elite, we're miles ahead of the likes of Freo, Adelaide and Gold Coast in that area. Only two gun WCE players who have requested a trade out that I can recall - Judd and Gehrig.

Absolute worst case scenario is we trade them out for a gun player or another high pick a few years down the line.

18 year-olds might say they'll be homesick but after a few years in the system, living in WA and playing for the mighty Eagles every week they tend to change their mind.

Thats fine, but we don't know if eagles rated these other guys who people are losing it over.

Go look at previous years and guarantee you will find sky falling posts almost every year over some bloke who was a supposedly an a grade mid, who is now working at a kebab shop somewhere.

We do have a weakness at contested possession, but taking a player based on position when you don't internally rate them isn't the way to go either. And I'm not saying players like Hobbs won't be a gun (frankly I have no idea, amazed at how many experts we have here).

Also I'd argue our defecencies through the middle isn't necessarily a cattle issue. The gameplan stinks for a few years now and I think a lot of it is between the ears. That being said there is forsure a need to get more young mids in. But let's see how it all plays out.
I hope Chesser turns out to be an absolute gun.
But I'd trust O'Brien's pie making skills over his ability to rank and draft midfield talent

My issue isnt Chesser. He looks a really good prospect (which you'd hope in the first round)

My issue is that we desperately need bona fide young midfielders. Overlooking two in Johnson and Hobbs, only to take a flanker who may become a midfielder just stings. We are quite simply not in a position to be overlooking such a critical need, especially when the exact players we need slide to us. We are in this mess with our young midfielders because of our recruiters being unable or unwilling to draft midfielders. Today is exhibit A on why our young midfield looks like it does.

Sadly, I've just lost faith in our recruiting team getting these decisions right. Their ability to draft midfielders is there for all to see with what we have coming through (ie, basically nothing at all).

I really hope Chesser comes out and proves us all wrong and is a bone fide mid in a couple of years. But we are all disappointed because we've seen this movie before.

Last edited:
So the draft is paused after 20.

We are currently next selecting at 31.

Between the two we have the following:

21. Fremantle
22. North Melbourne
23. Hawthorn
24. Geelong
25. Geelong
26. Hawthorn
27. Carlton
28. Richmond
29. Richmond
30. Richmond

Fremantle will almost certainly take Johnson.

Noble has never drafted a KPP with any pick inside 40, he won't do it with North Melbourne.
Hawthorn and Geelong are after midfielders.
Carlton have a need for KPP especially after L.Jones walked out on them
Richmond have already taken x2 defenders - they will be pushing hard to gain midfielders now.

If we sit on our hands likely 8 of the next 10 picks will be used on midfielders, leaving us with scraps and more frustration.

The gettable pick is North's at 22. They currently possess no second or third round selections in 2022.

Offer 36 with the 2022 second rounder received from Port Adelaide for that pick 22.

At least that way we get a swing at Knevitt, Goater, Sonsie etc before they disappear and can hope that some talent continues to slip through to 31.

Dunno about that one bruv.

From what i remember of Tyson he was a fairly explosive, smooth midfielder who could and did win plenty of his own ball, as well as hit the scoreboard.

Luke has got clean hands, tidy by hand and foot but is slow as treacle. I'm not sure what you can do at AFL level if you're slow, AND outside without elite skills.

I'm a fan of him, but i feel his ceiling after a few years of development isn't that huge, which is about what you'd expect for a pick 52.

Only played 7 games though to be fair, and i certainly haven't noticed him even being outside and a non tackler, so his stats are indeed surprising.
Nah tyson was an outside mid he only averaged 30% contested possessions and 2 clearances

He was just a workhorse on the outside always getting back into defence to help out. He would rack up heaps of touches without you even noticing

What is interesting is the Eagles moved away from taking best available.

They went searching for a type of player, ignored good players we are in short supply of at our pick and reached.

When have we ever done that?
Need to seriously turnover the stalemate recruitment team and complacent admin if 2022 is another wasted season due to bad decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the draft is paused after 20.

We are currently next selecting at 31.

Between the two we have the following:

21. Fremantle
22. North Melbourne
23. Hawthorn
24. Geelong
25. Geelong
26. Hawthorn
27. Carlton
28. Richmond
29. Richmond
30. Richmond

Fremantle will almost certainly take Johnson.

Noble has never drafted a KPP with any pick inside 40, he won't do it with North Melbourne.
Hawthorn and Geelong are after midfielders.
Carlton have a need for KPP especially after L.Jones walked out on them
Richmond have already taken x2 defenders - they will be pushing hard to gain midfielders now.

If we sit on our hands likely 8 of the next 10 picks will be used on midfielders, leaving us with scraps and more frustration.

The gettable pick is North's at 22. They currently possess no second or third round selections in 2022.

Offer 36 with the 2022 second rounder received from Port Adelaide for that pick 22.

At least that way we get a swing at Knevitt, Goater, Sonsie etc before they disappear and can hope that some talent continues to slip through to 31.

I’d love for us to trade up, I like Sonsie, Goater, Draper and Butler a lot.

North want a SF I reckon so I could see them being willing to move down if it nets them a future 2nd, Motlop or Judson Clarke will likely be there at 31, although I can see them just taking Draper.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The frustration in the Chesser selection is that it appears he was on no one else's radar around our pick. Would have been nice to trade back further for more than ports 2022 second rounder.

Agreed, had the feeling that one of Richmond's second rounders this year were definitely there for the taking if we offered up 14 for their 17.

Hobbs is Joel Selwood.

Roberts is Michael Braun.

I rate them both highly, but they will play completely different roles.
Roberts almost won the last game of the U19s for SA with a massive last quarter .

His work inside was very good , his overhead marking was excellent for his size , his workrate and will to win made me stand up and take notice .

He is not micheal Braun at all he is all luke Parker who can play inside and out .

He has apparently been playing through injuries this year that is why he has dropped off .

I would be stoked to get him

Thats the issue. We gamble too much on players like this and try to turn them into footballers. I don’t mind it with later picks (Petch is a good example). But why can’t we just pick guys with footballing brains that address needs
All the way back to Callum Chambers over Simon Black... FML. Sometimes it's not that complicated.

Agreed, had the feeling that one of Richmond's second rounders this year were definitely there for the taking if we offered up 14 for their 17.
I think the club tried every avenue possible but the best we could do was the trade with Port and we were hamstrung being forced to use our first this draft otherwise I reckon we'd have traded it for a couple of later picks and using one of them for Chesser. No ill feeling toward him right now just the club. He better be a jet otherwise there will be hell to pay using a good pick when there were better choices still on the board.

Half-back flankers on the list:

Hurn
Sheppard
Witherden
Rotham
Cole
Nelson
Duggan
Foley
Chesser

That’s a large proportion of the list.
From what I can tell, none of his highlights are of him in the backline. I honestly think we’ve recruited him as a wingman.

Roberts almost won the last game of the U19s for SA with a massive last quarter .

His work inside was very good , his overhead marking was excellent for his size , his workrate and will to win made me stand up and take notice .

He is not micheal Braun at all he is all luke Parker who can play inside and out .

He has apparently been playing through injuries this year that is why he has dropped off .

I would be stoked to get him
Don’t get you hopes up - the Pieman has an aversion to blue collar mids. He usually only picks them up as rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back