List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

You know what, it doesn't even have to be Culley. I just want the club to actually recognise that our biggest problem is competing in the middle of the ground and ******* start to do something about rectifying it. Culley or Carmichael both look like being able to help us now and into the future with this so either is a no-brainer pick imo.
If we pick a raw atheltic ruckman (sounds suspiciously like Bailey Williams) with pick one I probably will be pretty pissed off about it.
I'll be equally pissed off if we select a ruck, but can almost hear the internal machinations going on to justify it.

We are getting beaten in the middle, that starts with the ruck
Talls take longer to develop so we need to start now
Will have lots of opportunities at elite mids in the ND as we will have high picks.

All points are true, but ignore the fact that any ruck we pick in the MSD is more likely a 2nd or 3rd tier at AFL level at absolute best, and there are mids with potential to go to 2nd tier or even into the top tier.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll be equally pissed off if we select a ruck, but can almost hear the internal machinations going on to justify it.

We are getting beaten in the middle, that starts with the ruck
Talls take longer to develop so we need to start now
Will have lots of opportunities at elite mids in the ND as we will have high picks.

All points are true, but ignore the fact that any ruck we pick in the MSD is more likely a 2nd or 3rd tier at AFL level at absolute best, and there are mids with potential to go to 2nd tier or even into the top tier.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our second pick they can **** around with and pick whatever Gorter/Collins type they want but if we piss away pick one when there are ball winning midfield options available I'm not going to be happy

Our second pick they can duck around with and pick whatever Gorter/Collins type they want but if we piss away pick one when there are ball winning midfield options available I'm not going to be happy

Indeed. I'm likely to have to log off for a while and stop watching games for a bit.

My understanding is that he played as a forward and was rather unimpressive.

Moved into the midfield this year and worked on his speed and a couple of other things and has dominated as a goal kicking midfielder with a booming kick.

Most impressive for me is that he identified a weakness and took it upon himself to get the right coaching and it has become a strength. Bodes well for his future, and at only 19, he has massive upside.

Sounds like cousins hiring a running coach. If he possesses half as much drive, that’s a great thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

East coast clubs have been taking the best wa talent from under our noses the past few years - time for us to do the same and take the best young prospects in the country

Don’t go conservative and pick wa kids cause you’re worried about them going home - it doesn’t seem to bother other clubs like wb/ melb / essendon etc

If anything you get something back if they ask for a trade/ or you threaten that you’d resign them via the PSD.

So, Culley is 19... Was he available to be drafted last year? If so what was the knock on him?

He came into the NAB league late in regards to others and although he was a midfielder due to his size, marking and kick was played as a forward. From memory averaged about 12 disposals and a goal a game.

This year has played as a strong bodied mid. He's agile and quick but noth explosive on either. Has very good hands without being exceptional and he knows how to use his body to not only get to the ball but to release others. His short kicking isn't any better than average, Great tackler, very good aerially and has had some very good games playing midfield. Also happens to be an absolutely booming kick and his long kicking is good too. A genuine 55-60 metre kick on him.

The real knocks are lack of exposure as a mid, the numbers aren't huge and the quality of who he has played against hasn't been very high. But coming to the NAB league later he wasn't displacing their mids last year and wasn't given a go to either. So you're really picking a boom/bust player. He plays the whole year at that level producing what he is producing and he's a top 10-20 pick even as an overager. The only thing really lacking is amount of exposure and games.

He is worth the number 1 pick. But expect another 2 years of development against men before he is pulling on the jumper and putting some of these level performances with the occasional game level against Men/AFL level. In 4 years he could be the midfield bull for us. His size and height would perfectly complement Wardlaw however whilst we are ****ing terrible now I expect come late in the season we will win a couple of games with players and much better conditioning back. So I think we'll finish 17th, not 18th. The real problem we have currently is it's now looking very much like Ashcroft and Wardlaw in the main draft and then a drop off. So finishing 17th is no guarantee of a top tier midfielder. I would like to see Hewett dropped back to colts and to play a few games in the centre for them before stepping it back up in league. Even if it is just to hopefully show dominance against guys his age and build confidence.

I strongly personally believe if we could get Bruhn and Robertson with second rounders combined with Culley and Wardlaw 4 of our 6 main midfield pieces for our rebuild would be sorted. If we can snap up Broadbent in the ruck We would have all hard pieces to find Drafted apart from 1 more high level tll fallword talent and a developing mid.

I would be very happy to not play Yeo as a mid next year and send him to the backline with small bursts in the middle. Play a smaller defence as Yeo can easily play 3rd tall. Next year

FB Cole Barrass Duggan
HB Yeo Mcgovern Foley

Hough as seventh defender.

The truth is we are highly unlikely to be shoving gaff out the door for a salary dump. I still think Cox is the best Partner for Nic as second ruck but isn't necessarily a long term solution but he very well could be. He's a strong body, very good in play and around the ground. If he shows some more forward prowess in the WAFL and we drafted Broadbent i'd be delisting/trading bailey williams, Jamieson and Strnadica.

It also means that Shuey really needs to retire or show for the rest of the year he can stay on the park (after this week or two injury layoff due to his ribs)
Naish either needs to played as a wing or not at all. He is AFL level as a wing but not in any other position. Secondly sheed is a better wing with a better kick and can get his hands on the ball exceptionally well at stoppage clearances and also inside. People here really underrate him.

Play Clark inside and West is either depth or delisted. He has had some great games with great intensity however his disposal is truly terrible. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Naish and West delisted as much as that would upset people here.

Trew, Joyce are dead set gone. Kennedy and Hurn are dead set to retire. Winder has until the end of the year to show more or he could be unlucky and on the chopping block. Luke Edwards with the groin issues now is reminding me more and more of Sam Butler by the day.

Witherden to me although I don't think the club will do it is an easy delist. Shit defender, too slow and his kicking isn't good enough to be that halfback general.

Funnily enough the trial of Nelson as a mid is definitely not working and I do expect him to be delisted however as the deepest small defender he could play a role even if that's back up. Nelson's Best use for us currently until there is someone better is in taking Kick Ins. He is actually a great long kick but gets lost further up the ground.

Jones has to tidy up his disposal and how many free kicks away but otherwise I see him as that backup defender. Jones can't be the guy taking kick ins, it's the only reason for me to see keeping either Witherden or Nelson on the list. As much as Witherden's stats show he is playing decent games to me he is a true liability in defence.

My top 5 for the mid season draft, I'm all about best 19/20 year old talent over mature agers:

• Culley, rewatched his first game this season. Had a passage where he kicked 50m pass from middle of the ground and it was a centimetre perfect pass, fwd dropped it though. Ball up from that, gets in with a handball out and gets it back before slotting on his left from 40m out. Think I'm still erect, or maybe it's my pleats.
  • Hall-Kahan, half fwd but has heaps of speed and I actually really liked him off a wing. Averaging 2 goals, 15 disposals, 5 marks a game for Sandy. Has heaps of talent, missed a lot of footy in previous years so I just see huge upside for him.
  • Derksen, seen limited footage of him but has some real talent and his agility for his size is really impressive. Can take a contested mark.
  • Ramsden, the three I mentioned above I have way ahead of him. But in reality, they will all likely be gone by this pick, so Ramsden at our second would be a good pick. His agility and running for someone his size is incredible, his disposal is quite good too and has been working on his fwd craft and looks to have really improved. Just needs to spend some time on his ruck craft at club land.
  • Faulkhead, good solid midfielder who kicks goals. Lacks the attributes of the others, but is just a good footballer.

HM: Lachie Benton, first half of last year averaged 16 disposals and second half 26. Covid impacted, but this form normally gets you drafted. Was close to BoG against star studded Oakleigh side earlier this year with 3 goals and 17 disposals. Went quiet, but bobbed up with 34 disposals Friday night. He's got speed, beautiful kick and footy smarts.

Indeed. I'm likely to have to log off for a while and stop watching games for a bit.

Already stopped watching. That isnt an Eagles team out there. Its a bunch of individuals doing impersonations of chickens running around with their heads chopped off.

Hope Nisbitt reads this and the other $$$$ focused senior people and Directors at the Eagles.

Make changes or move aside and get someone who will. Nisbitt's son working in recruitment? I hate nepotism. Very rarely does an organisation benefit.

He came into the NAB league late in regards to others and although he was a midfielder due to his size, marking and kick was played as a forward. From memory averaged about 12 disposals and a goal a game.

This year has played as a strong bodied mid. He's agile and quick but noth explosive on either. Has very good hands without being exceptional and he knows how to use his body to not only get to the ball but to release others. His short kicking isn't any better than average, Great tackler, very good aerially and has had some very good games playing midfield. Also happens to be an absolutely booming kick and his long kicking is good too. A genuine 55-60 metre kick on him.

The real knocks are lack of exposure as a mid, the numbers aren't huge and the quality of who he has played against hasn't been very high. But coming to the NAB league later he wasn't displacing their mids last year and wasn't given a go to either. So you're really picking a boom/bust player. He plays the whole year at that level producing what he is producing and he's a top 10-20 pick even as an overager. The only thing really lacking is amount of exposure and games.

He is worth the number 1 pick. But expect another 2 years of development against men before he is pulling on the jumper and putting some of these level performances with the occasional game level against Men/AFL level. In 4 years he could be the midfield bull for us. His size and height would perfectly complement Wardlaw however whilst we are ******* terrible now I expect come late in the season we will win a couple of games with players and much better conditioning back. So I think we'll finish 17th, not 18th. The real problem we have currently is it's now looking very much like Ashcroft and Wardlaw in the main draft and then a drop off. So finishing 17th is no guarantee of a top tier midfielder. I would like to see Hewett dropped back to colts and to play a few games in the centre for them before stepping it back up in league. Even if it is just to hopefully show dominance against guys his age and build confidence.

I strongly personally believe if we could get Bruhn and Robertson with second rounders combined with Culley and Wardlaw 4 of our 6 main midfield pieces for our rebuild would be sorted. If we can snap up Broadbent in the ruck We would have all hard pieces to find Drafted apart from 1 more high level tll fallword talent and a developing mid.

I would be very happy to not play Yeo as a mid next year and send him to the backline with small bursts in the middle. Play a smaller defence as Yeo can easily play 3rd tall. Next year

FB Cole Barrass Duggan
HB Yeo Mcgovern Foley

Hough as seventh defender.

The truth is we are highly unlikely to be shoving gaff out the door for a salary dump. I still think Cox is the best Partner for Nic as second ruck but isn't necessarily a long term solution but he very well could be. He's a strong body, very good in play and around the ground. If he shows some more forward prowess in the WAFL and we drafted Broadbent i'd be delisting/trading bailey williams, Jamieson and Strnadica.

It also means that Shuey really needs to retire or show for the rest of the year he can stay on the park (after this week or two injury layoff due to his ribs)
Naish either needs to played as a wing or not at all. He is AFL level as a wing but not in any other position. Secondly sheed is a better wing with a better kick and can get his hands on the ball exceptionally well at stoppage clearances and also inside. People here really underrate him.

Play Clark inside and West is either depth or delisted. He has had some great games with great intensity however his disposal is truly terrible. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Naish and West delisted as much as that would upset people here.

Trew, Joyce are dead set gone. Kennedy and Hurn are dead set to retire. Winder has until the end of the year to show more or he could be unlucky and on the chopping block. Luke Edwards with the groin issues now is reminding me more and more of Sam Butler by the day.

Witherden to me although I don't think the club will do it is an easy delist. Shit defender, too slow and his kicking isn't good enough to be that halfback general.

Funnily enough the trial of Nelson as a mid is definitely not working and I do expect him to be delisted however as the deepest small defender he could play a role even if that's back up. Nelson's Best use for us currently until there is someone better is in taking Kick Ins. He is actually a great long kick but gets lost further up the ground.

Jones has to tidy up his disposal and how many free kicks away but otherwise I see him as that backup defender. Jones can't be the guy taking kick ins, it's the only reason for me to see keeping either Witherden or Nelson on the list. As much as Witherden's stats show he is playing decent games to me he is a true liability in defence.
Great post mate but I would add Nelson to the dead set gone list.
OoC, takes up a list spot (which is crazy to think we need), has had a lot of years in the system already for not much upside and just isn't part of the next push for the flag.

Jones was woeful last night and is the type where-by at the Brownlow ends up with 4 votes somehow but isn't anywhere near the Top 10 in the B&F. One very good game followed by four, where is he games.

Bailey Williams I've completely written off as he just hasn't shown the improvement I expect. If anything I'm surprised this guy isn't in the Brander, Swift, Priddis, Chad Fletcher whipping boys club on here.

I suspect two of West, Stranadica and Dixon to be gone as we need the list spots. Unless we can move them to the rookie list but I'm not that privy as to the machinations of how it works.

SPS & Langdon to be jettison'ed end of 2023.

I still think Cox is the best Partner for Nic as second ruck but isn't necessarily a long term solution but he very well could be. He's a strong body, very good in play and around the ground. If he shows some more forward prowess in the WAFL and we drafted Broadbent i'd be delisting/trading bailey williams, Jamieson and Strnadica.
Bring Dean Cox out of retirement to partner Nic?

Out of the box thinking for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I would expect based off who is contracted.

Retire - Hurn, Kennedy, atleast one of Redden or Shuey

Delist - Trew, Joyce, Nelson, one of Williams or Strnadica

Waterman trade for whatever we can get
Gaff trade for whatever we can get
Oneil moved to the rookie list for the last year of his contract.

Witherdon, West and Dixon on thin ice.

Already stopped watching. That isnt an Eagles team out there. Its a bunch of individuals doing impersonations of chickens running around with their heads chopped off.

Hope Nisbitt reads this and the other $$$$ focused senior people and Directors at the Eagles.

Make changes or move aside and get someone who will. Nisbitt's son working in recruitment? I hate nepotism. Very rarely does an organisation benefit.

Same. Likely to not bother with membership next year (I'm in Victoria which makes it easier).

Great post mate but I would add Nelson to the dead set gone list.
OoC, takes up a list spot (which is crazy to think we need), has had a lot of years in the system already for not much upside and just isn't part of the next push for the flag.

Jones was woeful last night and is the type where-by at the Brownlow ends up with 4 votes somehow but isn't anywhere near the Top 10 in the B&F. One very good game followed by four, where is he games.

Bailey Williams I've completely written off as he just hasn't shown the improvement I expect. If anything I'm surprised this guy isn't in the Brander, Swift, Priddis, Chad Fletcher whipping boys club on here.

I suspect two of West, Stranadica and Dixon to be gone as we need the list spots. Unless we can move them to the rookie list but I'm not that privy as to the machinations of how it works.

SPS & Langdon to be jettison'ed end of 2023.

I think Nelson is gone as well but I think he could actually still be an asset down back as a hard nut small defender who takes kick ins. He gets lost further up the ground but even if he has a good second half of the year his papers may be stamped because of the Hip-E club incident. There will have to be a scapegoat or two from there.

Our small and medium sized forwards are also a real worry so I see Cripps getting another year. It was also Blatantly obvious last night that having Kennedy back in the side allowed Darling much more room to move and he played well all game. His marking was great, he competed exceptionally hard and kicked goals. 4 goals in a side as a key forward from 33 entries is an exceptional return.

Even as one of his biggest supporters I'm losing faith in Waterman as his best position is easily key forward but he's a tweener and isn't very athletic.

In all probability we trade in one player max simply because not many players ask to come to us.

Robertson has a tough call if we tempt him. Why come to us now when the Lions are in flag mode? He'd have to think he's a chance to make a GF there. He could miss out too by being the 24th player.

I would stay for 2 more years then assess how the Eagles are going.
This is what we’re hoping he does.

In two years time Zorko and Lyons have to be out of our midfield, opening permanent spots for Ashcroft and Robertson.

This is what we’re hoping he does.

In two years time Zorko and Lyons have to be out of our midfield, opening permanent spots for Ashcroft and Robertson.
Agree, but how do you keep a young guy satisfied playing VFL and the occasional game of AFL for another year or two, when his best is good enough.

I think by 2024 he is selected consistently in front of Lyons and Zorko (Zorko possibly playing back flank), so can we entice him to stay at the Lions with reasonably good $ for the next couple of years?

I think I’m hoping for Culley and D’Ambrossio next week. We need a good quality, small defender with great skills and rebound, even if we don’t like to admit it around here.

It’s a good ND for talls - get our talls there.
This would be a very good outcome but doesn't D’Ambrossio now have a serious injury?
Also, are there any guys coming up in the ND who could potentially play that role even better?

This would be a very good outcome but doesn't D’Ambrossio now have a serious injury?
Also, are there any guys coming up in the ND who could potentially play that role even better?

I read that after posting haha. But I guess if we are drafting for the future, I dont think we should overlook a talent based on the fact he can’t play immediately. With this season being shot regardless I think it’s important we take the right guy.

As for the second point, there may well be. Given he just turned 19 a few weeks ago I’m sure we will have our relative positional rankings and make the call as to whether we can do better in the ND. But if he’s a player they think can make the grade then I think we pull the trigger (depending on the other guys available of course).

I think Nelson is gone as well but I think he could actually still be an asset down back as a hard nut small defender who takes kick ins. He gets lost further up the ground but even if he has a good second half of the year his papers may be stamped because of the Hip-E club incident. There will have to be a scapegoat or two from there.

Our small and medium sized forwards are also a real worry so I see Cripps getting another year. It was also Blatantly obvious last night that having Kennedy back in the side allowed Darling much more room to move and he played well all game. His marking was great, he competed exceptionally hard and kicked goals. 4 goals in a side as a key forward from 33 entries is an exceptional return.

Even as one of his biggest supporters I'm losing faith in Waterman as his best position is easily key forward but he's a tweener and iook like they have already been tapped on the shoulder, no excitement and passion. n't very athletic.
Nelson and Waterman play as if they have already been tapped on the shoulder. They lack real passion and drive. Perhaps they have worked it out themselves. They are the type than must make way for something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back