Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :( Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Our boy is on the plane home, left the UK yesterday, arrive Perth today and then to Canberra tomorrow and the to the South Coast for his final journey. His plan was to stay in the UK but he wants to be here now.
Matter of weeks, the deterioration is rapid now. We had to do some ‘creative writing’ to get him on the plane and going through his end of life care and plan to enable him to stay with us for as long as possible rather than hospital. He needs to see whales, see and smell the ocean from our balcony for as long as he can.
His mums inconsolable and it doesn’t seem possible our beautiful intelligent boy won’t be with us much longer. So much left behind.

One shining light is Carlton are still shit and that helps me through the dark nights.
Thinking of you with a heavy heart, Jimmy.
It just seems so wrong that children go before their parents.
No words can describe it.
Just know that all of us here wish you only the best.

Well I'm sorry to be a pain but here goes. I read a piece on a blog and just had to write because it crystallised a lot of things I have been feeling and experiencing myself..

Although the context of the blog post is AFLW, it speaks more to some universal truths now. How feckless the AFL is in its pretensions of supporting diversity and inclusion, while providing precisely zero actual support. Of the growing malevolence and impunity of right wing trolling on social media, in which I include Big Footy. The way people look the other way when it happens. And the dismal sense of tiredness and failure that comes from being yourself, only to be vilified, and find when it happens the supposed good guys are suspiciously absent.

I find it increasingly difficult to find any sense of belonging in footy. It is made clear in ways big and small that people like me ae not welcome, this is not our place, what do you expect etc etc. Trouble is, increasingly nowhere seems to be accepted as a place we are welcome.

As it says in the blog, "It’s un PR like to phrase something this way, but on social media in 2024, it’s easier to build a brand as a shitweasel than a kind enthusiastic person"

The shitweasels are winning. Misogyny, homophobia, racism, cruelty and hatred are the new normal, the new acceptable, just another part of the discourse, or an edgy amusement for those who only have hatred left to fuel their lives. It is getting worse, and nobody seems to actually give a single shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :( Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back