VFL VFL Round 11 v Casey - Sunday June 9th. 2:05pm @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a mistake to delist him in hindsight. Exactly the type we need. Should have been kept in hindsight.
Hasn't put on one ounce of weight since being delisted, would be rag dolled at AFL level and that's why there is no interest in him at the top level. Not the type we need, correct decision to move him on, not AFL standard.

Hasn't put on one ounce of weight since being delisted, would be rag dolled at AFL level and that's why there is no interest in him at the top level. Not the type we need, correct decision to move him on, not AFL standard.
Will Kelly been worse

Feels to me like they need to make a decision whether to bulk him up to be a deep forward or get his endurance up to play higher up the ground
See him as a 3rd tall type while developing and a future mid. The problems for him is that we have to many good forwards ahead of him and he is not yet a KPF and probably years off being one. So I would choose the endurance route for next year anyway. We may still need him up forward for this year.,
He did look good. He's a frustrating player. Looks good. Looks really ordinary. Looks good. repeat.
I thought he looked pretty good as a mid clearance in the last. I don’t think he has been given an extended run as a mid, even if the VFL. Or should say the vfl. We looked much better today when he was in the middle.

Parker, Harry and Ryan all did well too. Parker clearly benefited from the afl exposure. Allan did fair pretty well too.

Eyre got through the limited game time. Provided some good contests early though was hard for forwards with the way the ball was coming in.

Ash did some good things. Better than previous games. Bit more intent.

Glover and lane were fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s the leading goal kicker in the VFL. Better than any forward we have in the reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a shame.
At this (early) stage, I’d say we look about 1 from 4 from our last 4 picks.

…and the 1 was the lowest selection we had.
Things can turn. But odds are against them.
They are all contracted next year. So I guess they have time.

improvement isn’t linear….but trajectory of improvement would want to change significantly.

It's an interesting experiment. We've taken blokes who can seriously run and have signed them up to heaps of development time.

He’s the leading goal kicker in the VFL. Better than any forward we have in the reserves.
McMahon needs 10kg to be relevant at senior level. Perhaps he gets there. I would have given him an extra year, but given how long we’ve persisted with other young talls I’ll back the club.

It’s a shame.
At this (early) stage, I’d say we look about 1 from 4 from our last 4 picks.

…and the 1 was the lowest selection we had.
Things can turn. But odds are against them.
They are all contracted next year. So I guess they have time.

improvement isn’t linear….but trajectory of improvement would want to change significantly.
Which is why people overate the draft, outside of the top few picks.

They've got think quickeer. They've got to be sharp and aware. It's more improtant than physical attributes. It's why mediocre athletes (excpet for endurance) can still thrive in the midfield but are being phased out of other roles.
I was comparing it to playing forward. Key forward or small forward are still the hardest positions to play - not only do you need skill and ability, but you need to read the play, anticipate teammates, make quick decisions about positioning, be good with hand and foot both sides of the body, lay tackles, ...
In the midfield you can just be instinctive and react - go where the ball is, or your opponent is, or where you are told to go. There's been a lot of great midfielders who were not exactly rocket scientists - Dane Swan comes to mind. Sure, a footy brain helps, and you need more resilience and endurance than you need as a forward, but it really is much simpler. I don't think Dustin Martin is a genius; neither was Ben Cousins.

I was comparing it to playing forward. Key forward or small forward are still the hardest positions to play - not only do you need skill and ability, but you need to read the play, anticipate teammates, make quick decisions about positioning, be good with hand and foot both sides of the body, lay tackles, ...
In the midfield you can just be instinctive and react - go where the ball is, or your opponent is, or where you are told to go. There's been a lot of great midfielders who were not exactly rocket scientists - Dane Swan comes to mind. Sure, a footy brain helps, and you need more resilience and endurance than you need as a forward, but it really is much simpler. I don't think Dustin Martin is a genius; neither was Ben Cousins.
Footy IQ & intelligence are not quite the same thing 😆

The VFL is not the AFL, he's not playing on top line keydefenders, it's either kids or guys who aren't up to it like him. McMahon hasn't got the body or game for AFL, you need to deal with that fact, McMahon isn't happening.

When I say smart, I really mean that. I don't think it's the easiest place to play - you're up against the best in the heaviest traffic and if you don't make a big contribution you don't make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL Round 11 v Casey - Sunday June 9th. 2:05pm @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Back