Craig Foster, again....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you also fail to mention the FA cup where you have teams from the English 7th division playing in front of a packed Old Trafford - you just don' get that in footy and you never will.

This is true of AFL, rugby, basketball, gridion,tennis, athletics etc etc

Soccer, because of the relative difficulty in scoring, especially if a lesser teams takes a defensive mindset, is a sport where a vastly inferior side can at least remain competetive in a game.

For instance take an A grade ammo side or a top EFL side and pit them against the weakest AFL side and the result would be so one sided as to render the contest meaningless

AFL and the other sports mentioned could never have a FA style comp across the grades because the scoring system accurately reflects the difference between the teams.

The FA cup works because soccer scoring doesnt reflect this difference. So a match between Man U and a minnow still draws some interest and competition

This is where the AFL shot themselves in the foot with ground rationalisation. It really is a great advantage having your own field. Unfortunately, I guess, the older grounds in Melbourne would have cost too much to bring up to standard, but we do miss out in general not having those home stadia, left with two pretty big grounds that don't often get filled.

One good reason to be a Geelong supporter.

That applies to every code in Aus. I read that Perth Glory pays $120k for ground rental per game, which includes $20k just to operate the screens for live replays. This is money that could be mostly profit if they owned their own ground. Will be a big plus for the AFL in 2025 (incidentally, when asked how long they'll be playing games at Etihad, Victory admins said "Possibly until 2024" :D).

This is true of AFL, rugby, basketball, gridion,tennis, athletics etc etc

Soccer, because of the relative difficulty in scoring, especially if a lesser teams takes a defensive mindset, is a sport where a vastly inferior side can at least remain competetive in a game.

For instance take an A grade ammo side or a top EFL side and pit them against the weakest AFL side and the result would be so one sided as to render the contest meaningless

AFL and the other sports mentioned could never have a FA style comp across the grades because the scoring system accurately reflects the difference between the teams.

The FA cup works because soccer scoring doesnt reflect this difference. So a match between Man U and a minnow still draws some interest and competition

To be fair, it's also because the gap in quality between divisions is far smaller in soccer than in AFL. The VPL is closer to the A-League and the Champions is closer to the EPL than the SANFL is to the AFL.

In fact, one of the criticisms of English football is that that gap is increasing to AFL levels.

Is DH actually a German or just the child. of immigrants? DH, Was Wasserzeichen ist auf Ihrem Schlussel? Just the one over the main photo.

My key? What key?

Sorry if my German isn't too good, we don't speak German where I come from, we speak Alemannisch. I can understand a bit of German, but a lot of words elude me.

On sunday, a regular season NBL Game on the gold coast between a struggling blaze team and NZ got 3300 people (close to capacity). 10 minutes down the road there was a big elim final in the a-league between gold coast and melbourne. attracted 3100 people LOL. capacity is 27000.

Thoughts?

On sunday, a regular season NBL Game on the gold coast between a struggling blaze team and NZ got 3300 people (close to capacity). 10 minutes down the road there was a big elim final in the a-league between gold coast and melbourne. attracted 3100 people LOL. capacity is 27000.

Thoughts?

Has little to do with the sport and more to do with the abject failure that is Gold Coast United.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, it's also because the gap in quality between divisions is far smaller in soccer than in AFL. The VPL is closer to the A-League and the Champions is closer to the EPL than the SANFL is to the AFL.

In fact, one of the criticisms of English football is that that gap is increasing to AFL levels.

Thats something that is impossible to measure.

The reason the FA cup works is because of soccers scoring system full stop

Hahaha. Yeah, or "Halt! Let me see your papers!"

wehrmacht-german-army-rare-pictures-ww2-second-world-war-010.jpg

Hmmm.

[YOUTUBE]iLYe-UvlgSc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wQ-2NodBIZw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NN3MiN4NwAY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]dE-tyqD2oXo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sRQZL8_8bjk[/YOUTUBE]

It is interesting how ARF fans like to dismiss that which happens in their own patch I suppose and just point the fingers at others.

So born in Australia.That my friend, would make you Australian . What a bastard for you.

I don't get this.

Australians born of anglo origin.
Australians born of German,Italian etc. origin.

We are all Australians but Germans born here think they are from some elite group or something.

We are ALL Australians once we are born here.

I've never got that.

Can anyone educate me?

We say we are Australians but they say I'm Italian Australian or German Australian.

Why do they do that when most of us came from overseas anyway?

Do they think they are better by saying that or something?

Sounds racist to me to say I'm not Australian,I'm Italian Australian,like Australia isn't good enough for them or something.

It is amazing what people in this forum attribute to a scoring system.

Maybe football should include a points system that gives people a point for having a good attempt on goal.

Or perhaps Aussie rules should pay a goal, when the ball hits a head and goes through. For a game that you insist on everyone calling football, I do wonder why goals are scored by the head.

The best goal I have ever seen in aussie rules was in the UK where they have a week called the Brit Cup where each side is only allowed to play european born players (no aussies). One of the guys playing his first game ever had the ball kicked to him in the goal square and instead of marking the ball as we are custom to he headed it through the goal and started celebrating only to discover that was not a goal.

You are as Australian as we are mate.

The only real Australians are the indigenous.

Just because someone is born here doesn't mean they can't feel a part of another culture (I know I feel similar to DH) and just the same as if someone is born overseas moves here can feel Australian.

It is all about identity and who are you to dictate how someone should feel about their own identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back