Crows in SANFL Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
All clubs are having trial games this weekend.

There are two games on tonight, Norwood v South, Coopers Stadium 7.40pm and North v North, Ballhannah Oval 6.30pm.

According to the Norwood website Walker, Jericho, Massie and Kite are playing tonight. For South, I'd assume Otten will be playing.

For North, Gill and Armstrong appear to be lining up.

Anyone going to any of the games over the weekend?

All clubs are having trial games this weekend.

There are two games on tonight, Norwood v South, Coopers Stadium 7.40pm and North v North, Ballhannah Oval 6.30pm.

According to the Norwood website Walker, Jericho, Massie and Kite are playing tonight. For South, I'd assume Otten will be playing.

For North, Gill and Armstrong appear to be lining up.

Anyone going to any of the games over the weekend?
You think Norwood are playing and I wouldn't be there? :eek: ;)

And yes, Otten is indeed playing.

So both of you are going to see Norwood tonight.

Great!!

Drummond, can you please give us a report on how our Crow boys went?

Crow*Girl, can you tell us how they really went?

Thanks. :)

Harsh macca. ;)

Neil Craig was sitting nearby and I wonder what his take on the game was. Here’s mine…

Aaron Kite: I went into the game thinking he wasn’t a great draft selection and I don’t think I’m far off the money after seeing him in action. He played at full back on Ben Warren and he didn’t fare too well. I wasn’t counting Warren’s goal tally but I’d suggest at half time it would have stood at at least 4, possibly 5. He we rested for virtually the entire second half, except for the last 5 odd minutes of the final term when he played up around the half forward flank.

To me he displayed all the signs of an athlete trying to play football. He’s got a great leap and he is also extremely quick. One bit of play that impressed me and the other Redleg fans was where he was up against two Panther opponents and he grabbed the ball and took off. He burnt off both opponents and booted the ball forward. Once he gets going he is exceptionally quick! At quarter time Warren had already booted two goals and he got a few instructions from the defensive coach, focusing mainly on positioning. At the huddle Kite also paid quite a bit of attention to his obviously precious blonde locks.

What disappointed me was his often half hearted attack on the contest. On one occasion he was up against Warren at about the 50 metre mark. The ball was bouncing on the deck and Kite took front position, however he was very easily pushed off the ball and his opponent took it and booted it into his attacking zone. Another disappointment was how easily he was out bodied in 1-on-1 contests. He gave away one or two free kicks as a result of struggling to contain Warren.

He’s very young, still thin and he did play against one of the competitions most dangerous key forwards, but you always get a feel for what a guy is going to be like after seeing them in action. There’s no doubt the AFC drafted him due to his outstanding athletic capabilities which are clearly evident, but does he have enough fundamental football skills to be a success at AFL level? I always fear for players who don’t attack a contest with everything they’ve got and he has a lot of work to do in this area. IF, and it’s a mighty big if, he starts to use his body and attack contests in the necessary manner, he could potentially be a good utility for the Crows. It seems speed is the one essential ingredient these days and it’s one thing he certainly does posses.

Taylor Walker: He didn’t set foot on the park in the first half but started at FF for the second. About a minute into the quarter and Walker had his first kick, and his first goal. The ball hit the deck and Walker pounced, snapped the ball on his left boot and it bounced through for a goal. After being kept quiet after his opening goal, with about 2 or 3 minutes remaining in the term he kicked his second goal, another snap goal as a result of great crumbing. That’s the thing that impressed me about his game; he has absolutely outstanding hands when the ball hits the deck. There was one occasion when the ball came in low and fast and Walker couldn’t quite get to the ball on the full. As soon as it hit the deck he was on it in a flash, he really does have superb hands.

So in approximately 45 minutes of game time he had 2 goals, both beautiful snap goals as a result of great crumbing. He’s a pretty big boy and I’d suggest he’d be about 192cm, and he’s of a decent build too. I’m looking forward to watching him develop during his time with Norwood. It’s tough to say whether he’ll start Round 1 in the league team as he only played 50% of the game. I personally thought he looked dangerous tonight and could be a great target alongside Vlatko. He looks every inch a footballer and that’s always comforting to see.

Kris Massie: People probably aren’t interested in reading too much about Mass so I’ll keep it brief. He’s a class act that’s for sure and he stood out whenever he was on. He played the majority of the game and would’ve had close to 20 possessions. He took one great mark running back into defence and his use of the ball was top notch. I’m not sure what Caigy and co were looking for but he was his usual self tonight, collecting plenty of the ball and being a solid contributor. I’ll tell you what though; if we can have Massie for the majority of the year then we’re looking good for the finals!

Luke Jericho: As is the norm with Luke, it was a case of some very good and some very bad. The good was probably enough to get him high amongst the best players for Norwood but the bad is going to prevent him from ever making it at the top level. He had a lot of the ball in the first term, probably close to 10 possessions and he would’ve finished the night with roughly 20 touches. He was playing mainly off the half forward flank with the occasional run of the ball. He had quite a few forward 50 entries and he kicked 2 or 3 goals. He kicked one just before the half time siren as a result of a tremendous bit of play by Simon Phillips. I hope Jericho acknowledged him as he basically gift wrapped him the goal!

What’s the bad I speak of? Well, it’s probably not hard to guess. He went up one handed into a few contests, something that should’ve been addressed during the off-season but obviously hasn’t. He also completely overran a loose ball and let his opponent gather it, seemingly because he wasn’t prepared to get the hard ball. And then there was one passage of play when he dropped a sitter, regained the ball, took forever to release the ball and was caught holding the ball. Let me just say that for a guy who’s 190cm and built well, I am staggered at how often he is easily out bodied.

If Crow*Girl can tell me what # Andy Otten is then there’s a fair chance I can give you some recap on his game too.

Harsh macca. ;)

Neil Craig was sitting nearby and I wonder what his take on the game was. Here’s mine…

If Crow*Girl can tell me what # Andy Otten is then there’s a fair chance I can give you some recap on his game too.

Nice assessment there Drummond, I'm still working on mine! Agree mostly :thumbsu: Oh and I saw Peter Jonas and Jason Torney walked past wich was nice to see.

Otten is 37 ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norwood 4.1 8.4 13.4 16.5 101
South 6.3 10.5 13.9 15.15 105

There were five players in action down at the Parade tonight. Kite, Jericho, Massie and Walker for Norwood and Otten for South.

Q1

Tonight marked Andy Otten's first game in the SANFL, well trials. He started on the ground for the first term and remained there the whole game. He was positioned in the centre and got a couple of clearances early off the ground, to South's credit their rucks were doing well. He played a pretty good first quarter gathering a handful of possessions across the ground. He received a shot at goal from a free kick, but missed to the right from deep in the pocket.
Quarter stats: 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 behind.

Following last week's impressive performance at full back, Aaron Kite again started the first quarter in the goal square on South's Ben Warren. Warren just got away from Kite and took a strong mark in front, although he missed for a behind. This happened twice more in the quarter, however this time resulting in goals. Kite was able to contest the mark a couple of times; it was just the one time he got left behind. He performed all of the kick outs, two being long bombs which resulted in turnovers, but by his third he passed to a nearby team mate. During one piece of play on the far wing, he had possession of the ball and ran his distance before getting a kick away, he looked so fast!
Quarter stats: 4 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle.

Everyone's favourite player, Luke Jericho, was again lining up for Norwood this weekend. He started in the middle of the ground, and as usual, spent most of the night around the wing. He started off strongly, impressing everyone with putting his head over the ball and getting tackled upon, although for his efforts he got the free. Later on he nearly got a mark, fumbled, played on and ran into trouble, and got caught for holding the ball. However, he made up for his error by scoring a goal from a set shot, 20-30m not long after. He followed up later with a kick along the ground towards goal, but only found the behind post. So, so far he was presenting pretty well in Norwood's attacking half.
Quarter stats: 4 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 1 goal.

Kris Massie's performance improved on last week's as he started strongly in the first quarter. He started in the centre of the ground, but also floated down back for a period of time.
Quarter stats: 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 mark.

Taylor Walker sat out the first term.

Q2

Otten again started in the centre. He had a reasonable quarter. He spoiled a mark at one point and was able the gather it at ground level, run away with it and get the kick, so that was nice to see.
Quarter stats: 2 kicks, 1 handball, 1 tackle.

Despite a so-so first term at full back, Kite resumed his duties on South's Warren. He started off well with a spoil but unfortunately the umpire awarded a free against him for holding on, it was pretty soft but probably there. He was given the task of the kick ins again, just the one long bomb this quarter, the other was a short pass. Warren kicked two goals for the quarter; Kite was right behind him in the contest but got caught behind another Norwood player so Warren ran away with the ball for a goal. The second goal came after Kite gave away a free in the goal square for holding on.
Quarter stats: 4 kicks.

Jericho had a bit of a funny quarter. He was fairly quiet in the first 10 minute and was brought off the ground. He came back on after the drinks break around 5 minutes later. He gave away a free for in the back, I think, later in the term, but also managed a goal.
Quarter stats: 1 kick, 2 handballs, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 goal.

Massie appeared to start around the centre half back line for the quarter, but continued to move about the place. He was dominating early and like last week, occasionally going up as the third man in rucking contests around the ground.
Quarter stats: 5 kicks, 3 handballs.

Walker again, sat out the quarter.

Q3

The quarter started off for Otten in the backline, but he was moved back into the centre fairly quickly. He got at least one clearance out of the centre and almost took a strong pack mark. He gave away one free for too high towards the end of the quarter.
Quarter stats: 2 kicks, 1 handball, 1 tackle.

Kite sat out this quarter.

Jericho began at around half forward, but moved around the ground a bit over the course of the quarter. It’s about this quarter his disposal and decision making decreased. At one point he called out for the mark, was offered the kick but he made no effort to run into position for it, subsequently the ball landed on the ground in-between him and a couple of South players. He made a few clangers, kicking out of bounds on the full and handballing to an opposition player out of a pack.
Quarter stats: 2 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 mark.

Massie had a fairly quiet quarter, although he got into the thick of things when he gave away a 25 metre penalty for getting a bit rough with a South player after a free.
Quarter stats: 3 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle.

Finally, Taylor Walker was on! (And at full forward). He scored early, nabbing a goal after contesting for it on the ground one on one. He casually kicked goal ward and the ball bounced once for a goal. Later in the term, he stayed down from a pack and cleanly gathered the ball off the ground. He spun around and kicked a goal.
Quarter stats: 2 kicks, 1 handball, 2 goals.

Q4

Otten finished up the game nicely in the last quarter, starting back in the centre again. He had shot for goal after taking a mark going back with the flight of the ball; unfortunately he missed to the right from right along the fence in the pocket.
Quarter stats: 3 kicks, 1 handball, 1 tackle, 1 behind.

Kite sat out the majority of the final term, only coming on late to play around the half back line. He was presenting alright, finding space etc.
Quarter stats:

Jericho was alright, faded a bit again. He got a kick out on the wing and kicked about 20 metres to no one in particular. He did have a shot at goal though, picking up the ball off the ground on the 50 metre line, but he hit the post.
Quarter stats: 3 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 behind.

Massie finished off with a quieter term.
Quarter stats: 1 kick, 1 handball, 1 mark.

Walker was again at full forward but didn't see a great deal of the ball.
Quarter stats: I don't have any written down........

------------------------

Overall,

Otten: Was pleased with his game. Finds the ball, has excellent awareness. Would like to see him attack the ball more though, not saying he doesn't at all, but tends to wait around the packs.
Game stats: 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 behind.

Kite: Was ok tonight. Did one or two nice things, I still think there's something there.
Game stats: 8 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle.

Jericho: I noticed tonight he’s fairly quiet around the field, as in he doesn't give direction much, so that’s something he could work on. His decision making, particularly in the second half was poor.
Game stats: 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 1 behind.

Massie: Again, showed leadership around the ground. Played better than last week, he'd be asking for a call up come round 1.
Game stats: 15 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle.

Walker: He showed glimpses tonight. Think he could work on leading more.
Game stats: 2 kicks, 1 handball, 2 goals.

--------------------

Oh and my stats, my score, so I hope it's all fairly accurate :thumbsu:

11-1.jpg

P10809021.jpg

Just the two of Andy tonight :)

Despite a so-so first term at full back, Kite resumed his duties on South's Warren. He started of well with a spoil but unfortunately the umpire awarded a free against him for holding on, was pretty soft but probably there. He was given the task of the kick ins again, just the one long bomb this quarter, the other was a short pass. Warren kicked two goals for the quarter; Kite was right behind him in the contest but got caught behind another Norwood player so Warren ran away with the ball for a goal. The second goal came after Kite gave away a free in the goal square for holding on.
Quarter stats: 4 kicks.
Yeah, it was reasonably soft but I thought it was there. Kite wasn’t happy and Craig had a little chuckle but it was another case of him being outbodied. Warren kicked a few on him mainly due to this and set up at least 1 or 2 more due to slipping tackles.

Otten: Was pleased with his game. Finds the ball, has excellent awareness. Would like to see him attack the ball more though, not saying he doesn't at all, but tends to wait around the packs.
Game stats: 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 behind.
I actually forgot he was playing and didn’t realise until the latter stages of the second term. As I was looking through the Panther players I came to #37 and I immediately thought it had to be him. He’s tall and reasonably well built and he played in quite a few positions as you noted. He has tidy skills and he has a good pair of hands. He won a fair bit of the ball in the second half, probably did in the first half but I wasn't even aware he was playing. :p That shot he missed in the last term convinced me it was Otten because only Crows players kick so poorly on goal. He has a good kicking technique and looks like a smooth mover, I just wish I was paying more attention to him from the outset.

Jericho: I noticed tonight he’s fairly quiet around the field, as in he doesn't give direction much, so that’s something he could work on. His decision making, particularly in the second half was poor.
Jericho’s game was tough to summarize, I said he’d probably get in Norwood’s best but on second thoughts maybe not. He did some nice things and he found a fait bit of the ball, but some of the things he did left me shaking my head. At one stage I thought to myself, ‘how is this guy even on an SANFL list’? More one handed marking attempts, more pathetic attempted “chases”, more careless attack on the contest. Sure he does a few nice things every now and then and he’ll kick the odd goal, but there is simply not enough in his game to make it at AFL level. I cannot believe he hasn’t been delisted yet.

Walker: He showed glimpses tonight. Think he could work on leading more.
Yeah, he looked a bit inactive down there at times. He looks quick off the mark, quicker than I expected, and he had a fair bit of space to work with tonight.

As for taking pictues, I took my camera, but tonight there was only about a 15 minute window where you could get good snaps and during that time I didn't take any. Next week...

Great work guys, much appreciated. I said on draft day that Otten was going to make the biggest impact of all our picks this year and I maintain that so its good to see him having a run around.

I would head out to Elizabeth today to watch the Blues and Doggies but cricket GF come first and well.... I dont want to go out there unless I REALLY have to.

Thanks for the insight CG and Drummond, great work.

I hope people give Kite a bit of slack. Lets remember he is a very young lad, and was playing on a pretty acomplished SANFL player. He's a 2-3 year project IMO and playing against men straight away he's at least showing something early on.

Its looking pretty conclusive that Jericho isnt getting any better and probably wasnt worth keeping. Ive always tried to be patient with him, but its getting to the point now that surely no one could seriously think he's going to make it at AFL level.

Otten is looking like beinga good pick up. I'm looking forward to seeing him live. Looks a pretty good size for a kid.

No suprises with Massie. I like him. Not a champ, but an honest performer, giving us very good service.

Walker is another i want to see first hand.

Harsh macca. ;)

It was, it was. :D

Well done Drummond - great report and good attention to detail.

Very much appreciated. :thumbsu:

Still there was no Meesen or Campbell playing to cloud your judgement. ;)

Crow*Girl - also well done. right up to your normal very high standard. :thumbsu:

We shouldn't be too harsh on Kite at this stage IMO, as I remember one of Reid or Triggy saying at the time of his drafting that he would be a 3 year project player.

Good news on Otten. It looks like he'll go down the VB and Knights path by the look of it and become a good player for us over the next 3 seasons.

We wouldn't expect anything less of Massie than has reported - a very good honest depth player who always gives his best.

Similarly for Jericho. Capable of good things at times but then lets himself down regularly.

Good work by Walker to snag a couple of goals, but his year will be next year IMO

Well done by the two of you and greatly appreciated. :) :thumbsu:

!

Luke Jericho
He kicked one just before the half time siren as a result of a tremendous bit of play by Simon Phillips. I hope Jericho acknowledged him as he basically gift wrapped him the goal!

Nothing to do with crows but just
Interested and appreciated if any stats on him and were did he play and how did he go plz

!

Luke Jericho:
He kicked one just before the half time siren as a result of a tremendous bit of play by Simon Phillips. I hope Jericho acknowledged him as he basically gift wrapped him the goal!

Interested and appreciated if any stats on him and were did he play and how did he go plz

Apparently has been very impressive so far, Drum may be able to go on further but a few Norwood mates of mine said he could be in for a very good year.

Luke Jericho:

He was good, played mostly in the centre, kicked a goal too. Off the top of my head, I'd say he would've gotten around 15 or so posessions. As he didn't play last week he was used through the bench a bit. He's a god pick up for Norwood :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in SANFL Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

Back