Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Big difference between Truck and Davis is the size though. I remember seeing Rutten in the SANFL when he was pretty young and he was a monster even then, but the North team was pretty bloody ordinary in those days.

Davis is quality though, has a good reach and chooses the smart option of marking or punching. His diposal and calmness is also impressive.

Can you please elaborate and give examples of how the accuracy of these stats are measured?

For a start all ruck statistics are fundamentally flawed, in a regular matchup (read one not involving Sandilands) most ruck contests are bloody hard to tell whose won with certainty, it can be done if that's the only thing you're focusing on, but it's not for SANFL stats. That every ruck contest results in one player being awarded a tap is flawed as it is in a minority of ruck contests where there is an outright winner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the Mail for printing these stats, but I would be astounded if anyone would claim thier 100% accurate. If you compare the stats the Crows and SANFL teams take every week compared to the Mail's you'll notice severe discrepancies.

How many 18 year olds, holding down a key position playing against men, look as composed as this kid does. Three things that I reckon you look for to determine whether a young player is going to be good are - courage, disposal and compsure. You rarely see all these traits in young talls, especially of the 18 year old variety. davis has them all.

Have always taken a special interest in our young talls. Davis would be up there with Walker/Rehn/Maric in the category of most promising young talls I have seen at the crows.

I think its amazing that in the space of about 3 weeks youve gone from blasting the Crows for using a 1st rounder on Davis, claiming him as the next Angwin/Watts/Meeson/Sellar and that youd easily swap him for Ebert, and that you cant see why they thought of him so highly.....to now claiming him as one of the most promising talls youve ever seen. :confused:

I think its amazing that in the space of about 3 weeks youve gone from blasting the Crows for using a 1st rounder on Davis, claiming him as the next Angwin/Watts/Meeson/Sellar and that youd easily swap him for Ebert, and that you cant see why they thought of him so highly.....to now claiming him as one of the most promising talls youve ever seen. :confused:

Smart money has that for two of those three weeks Davis was on ABC's match of the day and now SC has actually seen him play;)

I wasn't going to bring this up, but since you have, I agree. :D

For a start all ruck statistics are fundamentally flawed, in a regular matchup (read one not involving Sandilands) most ruck contests are bloody hard to tell whose won with certainty, it can be done if that's the only thing you're focusing on, but it's not for SANFL stats. That every ruck contest results in one player being awarded a tap is flawed as it is in a minority of ruck contests where there is an outright winner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the Mail for printing these stats, but I would be astounded if anyone would claim thier 100% accurate. If you compare the stats the Crows and SANFL teams take every week compared to the Mail's you'll notice severe discrepancies.

That's been explained a few times in the past. The Crows send their own stat keepers to the games. These people have only a handful of people to observe and thus their stats are generally more accurate.

The SANFL's stat keepers have to keep track of every player on the ground. They're busier than a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest and it's no surprise that they miss quite a few possessions.

Your point about the difficulty in judging ruck tap wins is definitely valid though.

I wasn't going to bring this up, but since you have, I agree. :D

Say what you will about your calls, but at least you stand by them well and truly after you're proved wrong:p

Seriously though, I note that the video is up on the website, but as i'm over the monthly bandwidth I can't see it till tomorrow.

What an absolute joke. :rolleyes:

Last week, when he put in the worst display in the ruck I think I’ve ever seen

Mate, ill give you one thing...you certainly know how to go overboard. I love your reviews because they are all or nothing. If you arent claiming guys like Aaron Kite to be the saviour of the earth after 2 kick 1 handball games last year, youre calling someone the worst footballer to grace the earth since Moses was kicking around a coconut with Jesus after a 12 disposal 14 hitout game in his 1st full SANFL game against a 10 year AFL player whos played 80 AFL games and 50-60 SANFL games.

Im 50/50 with Lobbe...but I honestly cant remember you ever claiming a non-Norwood Power kid has played a decent game.

That's been explained a few times in the past. The Crows send their own stat keepers to the games. These people have only a handful of people to observe and thus their stats are generally more accurate.

The SANFL's stat keepers have to keep track of every player on the ground. They're busier than a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest and it's no surprise that they miss quite a few possessions.

Your point about the difficulty in judging ruck tap wins is definitely valid though.

Yeah, I knew all this, I just took exception to Neddy's implication that the Sunday Mail stats were accurate.

Their a bloody useful guide to how gooder day someone's had, but the numbers apart from perhaps the goals and behinds shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Mate, ill give you one thing...you certainly know how to go overboard. I love your reviews because they are all or nothing. If you arent claiming guys like Aaron Kite to be the saviour of the earth after 2 kick 1 handball games last year, youre calling someone the worst footballer to grace the earth since Moses was kicking around a coconut with Jesus after a 12 disposal 14 hitout game in his 1st full SANFL game against a 10 year AFL player whos played 80 AFL games and 50-60 SANFL games.

Im 50/50 with Lobbe...but I honestly cant remember you ever claiming a non-Norwood Power kid has played a decent game.
That's not true. I've praised your guys many times, I like Paul Stewart and have praised him often after good games. I've even posted on your board in reponse to how Meyer performed and I said he was terrific. I've given a heap of your SANFL players praise, not just Norwood blokes. You know I have.

lol yeh, how funny is it.

Davis - Did someone say 1st rounder :eek: - At least we are consistent.

I would swap Davis for Ebert.

Trying to manufacture a diamond in a sea of mediocrity.

And of course the admission that Springy has never actually seen him (until the other week at which point he admitted Davis was a gem).

I'm abit concerned with Davis, his stats for a 1st rounder look really poor. Please tell me we haven't done another Sellar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very.

And this time last year SpringChoke said David Mackay should never be selected for the AFC ever again.

He is a debaser of this forum unfortunately.
This time last year I was saying cut Tippett :eek:. Luckily I didnt know of bigFooty then. If I did, I would be considered a bigger fool then I am thought of now.

This time last year I was saying cut Tippett :eek:. Luckily I didnt know of bigFooty then. If I did, I would be considered a bigger fool then I am thought of now.

It wasn't related to ability, just some dodgy rumour that Mackay might leave that had no substance to it.

As for Tippett, what were you thinking? At no stage has Tippett ever looked like he wouldn't make it.

Do you actually take pleasure in player assassination? Richard Douglas, Jarrhan Jacky, Brad Moran to name just a few. What makes me laugh is that you write these guys off, yet in the past have shamelessly pumped up the tires of Bryce Campbell, Darren Pfeiffer and John Meesen. Poll 100 football people and ask them to select which trio they would take and 95%+ would take the current Adelaide trio.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I agree ruck stats are hard to be 100% accurate with but there are ways of determining who wins the tap. Take into account the position of the ruckmen, watch the direction of the ruckman's arms, focus on the point where the ruckman's hands meet the ball. A lot of the time the ball follows the direction of the winning ruckman's arm.

How can you be sure the SANFL teams are 100% accurate?

Do the Crows send their own stat keepers? Are you 100% sure Vader? They send observers who take footage feeds to their MacBook Pro's. Sometimes the Crows spotters leave their MBP and go to another game and get their stats from the coded data. Who is to say they don't miss a stat on the far side of the ground looking through their recorded capture window.

Did you realise that the same company that is the official statistician of the AFL having been doing SANFL stats since Round 6 this season? It's no longer pen and paper stuff.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Isn't it just. :cool: I just love looking back at the Dangerfield thread and being one of the few people to be delighted at his selection. :thumbsu:

I agree ruck stats are hard to be 100% accurate with but there are ways of determining who wins the tap. Take into account the position of the ruckmen, watch the direction of the ruckman's arms, focus on the point where the ruckman's hands meet the ball. A lot of the time the ball follows the direction of the winning ruckman's arm

Mate, I've played as a ruckman and I can assure you i've had disagreements with the other ruckmen, along with my own midfielders about whose won a tap. It's largely arbritrary as opposed to say who gets a kick.

How can you be sure the SANFL teams are 100% accurate?

I'd be surprised if they are. However that the teams who know their own players can't be totally accurate how can we expect the Sunday Mail to approach this same standard?

Do the Crows send their own stat keepers? Are you 100% sure Vader? They send observers who take footage feeds to their MacBook Pro's. Sometimes the Crows spotters leave their MBP and go to another game and get their stats from the coded data. Who is to say they don't miss a stat on the far side of the ground looking through their recorded capture window.

The Crows claim to and I don't see why they'd lie. Your explanation also doesn't give a reason as to why the Crows stats as recorded by the Crows can also vary to be greater than the Mail's recorded stats.

Out of curisosity are you someone doing these stats? If so you're overuse of the term 100% is typical of a statistician:p

Wow how bad do I feel I'm the first person on this board to write off a player before giving him chance - oh silly me. In my defense though, it was more out of frustration after seeing years of first round draft pick medicority and having to suffer a year of James Sellar rubbish.

Anyway, i'm assuming by your pot shot that you've seen the kid too, he's going to be a beauty isn't he. Don't worry though mate after seeing Matt Westhoff and Lobbe play, you look like you have some beauties there too.:D:eek:

If this keeps up you might have to dust off the old Modra dufflecoat.

I would have thought he spent less than 50% of time in the ruck, but I couldn't say for sure.

Sellar probably was in ruck for roughly 1/3 of each quarter. Otherwise was played mostly forward when on the ground. Clearly beat his opponents more often than not in the ruck contests i was in a reasonable position to see (grandstand wing).

Only have managed to get to the last couple of Bay games this year, but it has been very notable that Sellar has been getting much more game time in these games than any I saw last year, and when playing forward has not been relegated to the 3rd or 4th option. Also noticed that he seems to be playing with a lot more confidence this year and his attack on the ball and contest is much improved (still needs a fair bit more though IMO).

Wow how bad do I feel I'm the first person on this board to write off a player before giving him chance

So because other people were doing it it became alright for you to do it? If our courts ever accepted this as a defence we might be in trouble:eek:

- oh silly me. In my defense though, it was more out of frustration after seeing years of first round draft pick medicority and having to suffer a year of James Sellar rubbish

Melodramatic much?:rolleyes:

I'm most fond of the, "done another Sellar" line.

So if we draft someone who PIHL doesn't know of, we can then claim we've, "done another Sellar". :D :thumbsu:

Drum, Drum, Drum what do they say about glass houses. I've lost count how many times your Norwood/Crows superstar of the future is proven to be rubbish.

I liked you better before you became a s*ck to this boards multitude of sheeplike yes men.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in the SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back