Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Phil Harper came on 5AA and said Ralph was wrong
Ok. But did he say what the real situation was?

No. Of course not. No club ever would. So Ralph could theoretically be 99.5% right and just missed some minor detail so is therefore wrong.

I don't know how you would say whether Walker is worth 400k. He's worth less than Kurt.

But 100x whatever Moran is on. What does that equal? $500?

I'd struggle to come up with 10 players who deserve more coin than Walker, even though he is an unproven up and comer who's not even an automatic selection.

S Thompson
Johncock
Rutten
Jacobs
Vince
Dangerfield
Knights on 2009 coat tails

No doubt the club rates Douglas, VB and Reilly higher. I don't, but the club signs the cheques.

No idea where Mackay and Porplyzia fit given that they're injured every 5 seconds.

So that's 13th at worst, 8th at best.

Re: Crows plan Walker talks! (Part 2)

Are contract terms based on purely output or does potential come into it? Hes clearly the most talented/natural footballer on our list.

Give him what it takes to keep him here im sure your schmidts and sellars of this world will understand and take paycuts

Are contract terms based on purely output or does potential come into it?

I would assume that a player's contract would be based on a range of factors including those you've already mentioned and others such as popularity amongst fans, which in this case Walker has plenty.

Re: Is Walker worth 400k a year?

No. Of course not. No club ever would. So Ralph could theoretically be 99.5% right and just missed some minor detail so is therefore wrong.

or theoretically he could be 99.5% wrong and still be wrong

or theoretically he could be 99.5% wrong and still be wrong

Either way we're none the wiser and the club has done nothing to suggest whether it is closer to 99.5 or 0 percent correct.

I don't know how you would say whether Walker is worth 400k. He's worth less than Kurt.

But 100x whatever Moran is on. What does that equal? $500?

I'd struggle to come up with 10 players who deserve more coin than Walker, even though he is an unproven up and comer who's not even an automatic selection.

S Thompson
Johncock
Rutten
Jacobs
Vince
Dangerfield
Knights on 2009 coat tails

No doubt the club rates Douglas, VB and Reilly higher. I don't, but the club signs the cheques.

No idea where Mackay and Porplyzia fit given that they're injured every 5 seconds.

So that's 13th at worst, 8th at best.

I was thinking about this as well, but after thinking about it it's not as ludicrous as I first imagined. From 5-15 it all comes down to interpretation.

From the clubs perspective I would imagine their top 5 as being

Scott Thompson
Nathan Van Berlo
Ben Rutten
Graham Johncock
Kurt Tippett

After that you have Rory Sloane, Bernie Vince, Patrick Dangerfield, David Mackay, Andy Otten, Jacobs, Chris Knights, Richard Douglas, Jason Porplyzia along with Walker. As I said above, it all comes down to personal preference I'd have Walker between 6-10, but given the other players in that group I can also see how others might have him as low as 15.

Trigg if you're reading this please pay Tex whatever he wants because if we lose Taylor and I have to sit and watch him tear the comp apart in opposition colours I'll end up necking myself.

Right at this very minute, Tex is probably a $250,000-$300,000 AFL player.

However, when you consider his future importance to the team and potential (he has kicked more goals in his first 41 games than Buddy), then he is definitely worth a $400,000 contract.

I was thinking about this as well, but after thinking about it it's not as ludicrous as I first imagined. From 5-15 it all comes down to interpretation.

From the clubs perspective I would imagine their top 5 as being

Scott Thompson
Nathan Van Berlo
Ben Rutten
Graham Johncock
Kurt Tippett

After that you have Rory Sloane, Bernie Vince, Patrick Dangerfield, David Mackay, Andy Otten, Jacobs, Chris Knights, Richard Douglas, Jason Porplyzia along with Walker. As I said above, it all comes down to personal preference I'd have Walker between 6-10, but given the other players in that group I can also see how others might have him as low as 15.

Trigg if you're reading this please pay Tex whatever he wants because if we lose Taylor and I have to sit and watch him tear the comp apart in opposition colours I'll end up necking myself.

Agreed.

The thing with Ralph is most of the time he comes up with pretty straight forward things... Like Brogan to retire this week, Ablett going to Gold coast, Ebert to richmond and so on. This was far more detailed, which is why I took attention. He may be wrong half the time, but the other half of the time hes correct, and gets the goss on stories before the media, before the supporters, and even before the people at the club know.

Adelaide should offer Walker a contract that will vary on how many goals he kicks. Id tell him if he can kick 50-60 goals next season, his pay is $400k for the following season, 60-70 goals = $450k, 70-80 = $500k. But it goes the other way, and if he only end up on 30-40 goals for a year, his pay is adjusted accordingly.

It kinda seems like we will lose Tippett at some stage, really really need to keep Walker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so why do you always assume the worst and base your posts on that?

Keep in mind that if we went by the club's statements everything would be great, we're confident we'll re-sign Davis, Neil will be coaching us for as far as the eye can see etc. We're fed extremely positive, optimistic stuff from the club and the reality rarely matches.

Ralph is a regular caller called Mal from highbury. Better known for his Cornes for Columbia sign.

However he is heavily involved in the Norwood Football Club so he MAY know something because of that.

Walkers next deal would have to depend on what happens with Vince,Danger and Tipp.

Right at this very minute, Tex is probably a $250,000-$300,000 AFL player.

However, when you consider his future importance to the team and potential (he has kicked more goals in his first 41 games than Buddy), then he is definitely worth a $400,000 contract.
What's the average AFL player's salary these days? Around $250k isn't it? Tex even at this early stage in his career averages two goals a game, which is well above the average player. I would have thought $350-400k is about right given his output, potential and marketability.

What's the average AFL player's salary these days? Around $250k isn't it? Tex even at this early stage in his career averages two goals a game, which is well above the average player. I would have thought $350-400k is about right given his output, potential and marketability.

It's a shame from Walkers view that 3 others who are ahead of him are also comming out if contract.

We had enough money to offer Davis above and beyond supposedly so i doubt our cap is too tight to pay him what he deserves. Although i spose we want room to have a decent crack during trade week.

Up until three weeks ago he was on a performance based contract with bonuses for the number of times he kept his opponent boundary side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows plan Walker talks! (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back