Crows plan Walker talks! (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Crows plan Walker talks! (Part 2)

Up until three weeks ago he was on a performance based contract with bonuses for the number of times he kept his opponent boundary side.

As a result he gave the club an ultimatum that either Craig goes or he goes. The rest is history.

ps in his first seven games this year, Tax made a total of 2 tackles. In the three games since NC resigned, he has made 7.

^^
Your point??

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, not having a selection noose hanging around his neck has helped every aspect of his game?

As a result he gave the club an ultimatum that either Craig goes or he goes. The rest is history.

ps in his first seven games this year, Tax made a total of 2 tackles. In the three games since NC resigned, he has made 7.
Its interesting that the whole side is much better at tackling now than they were 3 weeks ago and its got to do with the defensive strategy.

Rather than guard the space and create implied pressure, we are actually getting at the man and tackling for a change.

Never have been a fan of the implied pressure strategy that Craig was so hell bent on implementing. The best way to stop someone is if you actually get a hold of them. Corralling them to the boundary is giving them enough space to get out of trouble.

Our tackling in the past 3 weeks has been so much improved compared to any year prior. It's amazing how much it has improved really. I think with Taylor it's more that Bicks has confidence in him and is giving him a more simple role to lead and control the forward line. Everything else is just coming naturally including tackling and pressure. Really good to see.

Its interesting that the whole side is much better at tackling now than they were 3 weeks ago and its got to do with the defensive strategy.

Rather than guard the space and create implied pressure, we are actually getting at the man and tackling for a change.

Never have been a fan of the implied pressure strategy that Craig was so hell bent on implementing. The best way to stop someone is if you actually get a hold of them. Corralling them to the boundary is giving them enough space to get out of trouble.

I've noticed that we've quickly adopted the "frontal pressure" strategy whereas Neil wasnt interested in that tatic. We're now also pushing our zone up further than we were previously which creates almost that a wall of players about 40-50 metres from the opposition ball carrier.

Good to see Walker contribute yesterday even in a game where he found it hard to get into the play. Minus one point for passing to Maric. I'd rather a Tex checkside from the boundary than almost any other player in the team from dead in front.

Leigh Matthews made a good point earlier this year, not about Walker but it applies to him, about where forwards lead. He said that sometimes forwards run to where there is space, rather than where the ball is likely to go. Or they run where there is space but the player with the ball can't kick it there.

Often Walker would present a short lead around the top of the fifty and be ignored. The trouble was he went too early and his angles took him out of the eyeline of the player in possession.

By the time the player with the ball got clear, looked up and was ready to deliver the ball Walker was not in his field of vision.

Of course you want your forwards to lead to space but often the reason there is congestion in certain areas of the F50 is because the defenders know that is where a pressured kick is going to end up.

Good to see Walker contribute yesterday even in a game where he found it hard to get into the play. Minus one point for passing to Maric. I'd rather a Tex checkside from the boundary than almost any other player in the team from dead in front.

Leigh Matthews made a good point earlier this year, not about Walker but it applies to him, about where forwards lead. He said that sometimes forwards run to where there is space, rather than where the ball is likely to go. Or they run where there is space but the player with the ball can't kick it there.

Often Walker would present a short lead around the top of the fifty and be ignored. The trouble was he went too early and his angles took him out of the eyeline of the player in possession.

By the time the player with the ball got clear, looked up and was ready to deliver the ball Walker was not in his field of vision.

Of course you want your forwards to lead to space but often the reason there is congestion in certain areas of the F50 is because the defenders know that is where a pressured kick is going to end up.

Also thought there were at least a couple of instances where Walker was in a great position to receive the hanpass just outside 50 where he could have wound up and wheeled around with one of his big shots for goal but got ignored. In any case it wasn't his best game but he still contributed with 3 goals, and not only that laid 2 tackles, had a couple of contested possessions and a couple of contested marks. Doing his bit even when he's not having a dominant game is good to see.

We had enough money to offer Davis above and beyond supposedly so i doubt our cap is too tight to pay him what he deserves. Although i spose we want room to have a decent crack during trade week.

Are you suggesting we should of matched GWS?

Then we could have Tippett and a negating defender in Davis on more money than Swan and Pendlebury....

Pay Walker $400k and he is on the same money as Travis Cloke.....

Collingwood are the new Manchester United....

We are becoming Everton

Phill Harper said on MMM Friday that it was decided at the start if the year that it would be discussed later in the year. And that no party has made a move to have it done earlier.

He seemed unfased about speculation on his future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also thought there were at least a couple of instances where Walker was in a great position to receive the hanpass just outside 50 where he could have wound up and wheeled around with one of his big shots for goal but got ignored. In any case it wasn't his best game but he still contributed with 3 goals, and not only that laid 2 tackles, had a couple of contested possessions and a couple of contested marks. Doing his bit even when he's not having a dominant game is good to see.

Yes, that's the stuff you can build a forward line around.

So there was less than 5 minutes left and we were trailing by 6 points, Wright marks just outside the 50, looks up and see two one-on-ones near the goal square. Jacobs with Harry Taylor and Walker with Lonergan. Taylor Walker
a) Make a piercing lead towards Matty
b)Takes a great contested mark in the goal square
c)Blocks Lonergan and the taller Jacobs who was in front of Taylor takes the mark
d) Stands like a limp lettuce leaf as Lonergan strolls past him, floats in front of Jacobs and takes a match saving mark.

I invite everyone of the Taylor Walker cheer squad to watch this vision and find any justification for that effort.

Until Taylor stops doing things like this he will always be a 6 foot 2 crumbing forward. Did St Kilda build their forward line around Stephen Milne?

Yes, that's the stuff you can build a forward line around.

So there was less than 5 minutes left and we were trailing by 6 points, Wright marks just outside the 50, looks up and see two one-on-ones near the goal square. Jacobs with Harry Taylor and Walker with Lonergan. Taylor Walker
a) Make a piercing lead towards Matty
b)Takes a great contested mark in the goal square
c)Blocks Lonergan and the taller Jacobs who was in front of Taylor takes the mark
d) Stands like a limp lettuce leaf as Lonergan strolls past him, floats in front of Jacobs and takes a match saving mark.

I invite everyone of the Taylor Walker cheer squad to watch this vision and find any justification for that effort.

Until Taylor stops doing things like this he will always be a 6 foot 2 crumbing forward. Did St Kilda build their forward line around Stephen Milne?

If the definition of a forward you can build your team around is someone you can bomb it long to and guarantee either a mark or a contest, then no, I don't think Tex fits this bill and don't think he ever will.

I think he is the perfect foil to play along side this type of forward, the smart, skillful opportunist type ala Darren Jarman. If you can isolate him 1 on 1 and give him some room, more often than not his smarts will win out.

If the definition of a forward you can build your team around is someone you can bomb it long to and guarantee either a mark or a contest, then no, I don't think Tex fits this bill and don't think he ever will.

I think he is the perfect foil to play along side this type of forward, the smart, skillful opportunist type ala Darren Jarman. If you can isolate him 1 on 1 and give him some room, more often than not his smarts will win out.

Agreed - Tex is sensational 1 on 1 provided he is first to the ball

Tippett's speciality is the 3 on 1 :mad:

I think he is the perfect foil to play along side this type of forward, the smart, skillful opportunist type ala Darren Jarman. If you can isolate him 1 on 1 and give him some room, more often than not his smarts will win out.[/quote]

The problem with Walker is that to isolate him and give him some room, you need to have one other player play next to him and to tell him when to lead while the other player blocks taylor's opponent.
There have been so many instances where he was one on one and instead of leading, in any direction, he chose to stay with his opponent and try to finess the ball.
I think he forgets that he is playing in the AFL and not the SANFL.

(I'm afraid that AFGM and I may be the only ones that see Taylor's game in the same light:D)

Agreed - Tex is sensational 1 on 1 provided he is first to the ball

Tippett's speciality is the 3 on 1 :mad:

And this is why Tex and Tippo should work so well in tandem. If the opposition is double teaming Tippo, then odds are Tex will be one on one.

Over the pre-season, we need to concentrate on two things:

1) get Tex and Tippo to learn how to operate together in the F50, i.e. when to lead/where to lead to/where to go to provide a decoy for the other

2) get the midfielders to practice kicking to advantage of whichever forward is one on one.

I know it sounds more simplistic than it is, but I think it's a glaringly obvious area for improvement.

And this is why Tex and Tippo should work so well in tandem. If the opposition is double teaming Tippo, then odds are Tex will be one on one.

Over the pre-season, we need to concentrate on two things:

1) get Tex and Tippo to learn how to operate together in the F50, i.e. when to lead/where to lead to/where to go to provide a decoy for the other

2) get the midfielders to practice kicking to advantage of whichever forward is one on one.

I know it sounds more simplistic than it is, but I think it's a glaringly obvious area for improvement.

I'll be really interested to see what happens with the forward line structure when Tippett comes back in. Without Tippett the midfielders have been forced to start to pick out guys like Walker and Gunstan on the lead. We have reverted back to the bang it long and hope eevry now and then but our forward entries have been most succesful in the last 3 weeks when we've been smarter with the way we bring the ball into the 50. One thing I don't want to see is us revert back to 80% of our forward entries being long kicks to Tippett 3 on 1 in the goal square.

I'll be really interested to see what happens with the forward line structure when Tippett comes back in. Without Tippett the midfielders have been forced to start to pick out guys like Walker and Gunstan on the lead. We have reverted back to the bang it long and hope eevry now and then but our forward entries have been most succesful in the last 3 weeks when we've been smarter with the way we bring the ball into the 50. One thing I don't want to see is us revert back to 80% of our forward entries being long kicks to Tippett 3 on 1 in the goal square.

SRV you can only live in hope.

It would be particularly painful if we did revert to bad habits this week as Bock will probably towel up Tippo.

In fact, considering Bocky is their only decent key defender, it's a no-brainer strategy to make sure Tex positions himself away from Tippo and instruct the midfielders to kick it to Tex...

One thing I don't want to see is us revert back to 80% of our forward entries being long kicks to Tippett 3 on 1 in the goal square.

We won't. There's been a clear instruction to lower the eyes, take a moment, and spot a target -even if it means being caught with the cod, or missing the target altogether.

It's going to take us a while to get used to playing like this, but it's a step in the right direction.

It's also starting to badly expose who has the foot skills and who doesnt.

We won't. There's been a clear instruction to lower the eyes, take a moment, and spot a target -even if it means being caught with the cod, or missing the target altogether.

It's going to take us a while to get used to playing like this, but it's a step in the right direction.

It's also starting to badly expose who has the foot skills and who doesnt.

So will we eventually stop kicking it to opposition backmen on a lead?

Agree Maximus. He is a half forward flanker in a Key Forwards body... He is not the greatest on a lead and doesnt take a great deal of strong grabs. But he has a lethal leg and needs to be shown respect. He will develop into a very good football player in the right forward structure.

give me a break

in the right forward structure the guy would be kicking 5+ a week.

it is great to see we have the common sense to be pigeon holing a 21 year KPF into a "very good" HFF despite the fact he has already shown the ability to be a game changer.

He is, by the length of a football field, the most talented forward this club has and I would say the 17 of the 18 clubs would sign him up with a fraction of second if they could.

give me a break

in the right forward structure the guy would be kicking 5+ a week.

it is great to see we have the common sense to be pigeon holing a 21 year KPF into a "very good" HFF despite the fact he has already shown the ability to be a game changer.

He is, by the length of a football field, the most talented forward this club has and I would say the 17 of the 18 clubs would sign him up with a fraction of second if they could.

Yet the only one that could sign him up and does need someone to build a forward line around, went for the guy with the dodgy shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows plan Walker talks! (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back