Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think we are going to lose Knights but not to Collingwood and if we did even if they would no way would I have Didak at our club .
He would be as dangerous as ( i have do what I like) cousins to have around club .
I really agree with Stiffy 18 and others on 2 points I would move heavan and earth to get Griffen back to SA . Money talks doesnt it Nathan .
Secondly yes at end of trading we will have had little action of any real sinificant again especially when we need to and can afford to take a gamble on 1 or 2.
Lets face it we rolled the dice end of last year with Burton and Hentschell ,Jacky etc
If we are going to please not give them away as we did Hudson and Mattner and though not our fault the ridiclous pick we get for Bocky

I can't believe people would think of trading our first pick and Knights for Griffen.
Sure let us get Griffen but that is to high a price to pay IMO.

I have the utmost respect for Chris Knights as a player and he will be a significant loss to the club if he does go.

However I think his trade value from an opposition's clubs point of view may be a little inflated. I say this because whilst there is no question about his talent, the reality is that other than a purple patch for a dozen games or so in 2009 when he went forward, the remainder of his time at AFC has been spent on the injured list or struggling to cement a spot in the midfield.

I suspect that his golden run was assisted by not being a recognised forward and perhaps getting under the guard of a number of coaches. Because of continued injury we have been denied the chance of seeing how he goes when greater attention is paid to his talents.

PLease dont get me wrong Im a huge fan, but in terms of a reasonable level of longevity playing at a high standard, he does fall a bit short of star status in terms of an objective assessment.

I would rather keep him but if wants to go I would be more than happy with a trade thats gets Ryan Griffen to AFC, even with a draft pick included.

I have the utmost respect for Chris Knights as a player and he will be a significant loss to the club if he does go.

However I think his trade value from an opposition's clubs point of view may be a little inflated. I say this because whilst there is no question about his talent, the reality is that other than a purple patch for a dozen games or so in 2009 when he went forward, the remainder of his time at AFC has been spent on the injured list or struggling to cement a spot in the midfield.

I suspect that his golden run was assisted by not being a recognised forward and perhaps getting under the guard of a number of coaches. Because of continued injury we have been denied the chance of seeing how he goes when greater attention is paid to his talents.

PLease dont get me wrong Im a huge fan, but in terms of a reasonable level of longevity playing at a high standard, he does fall a bit short of star status in terms of an objective assessment.

I would rather keep him but if wants to go I would be more than happy with a trade thats gets Ryan Griffen to AFC, even with a draft pick included.

Great post - I agree entirely.

Rate the guy, but this really is based on a handful of games strung together where he really put it together.

Prior to the masterstroke of throwing him into the forward line, I don't recall him carving it up in the midfield by any means.

Great player, but the reality is any trade for him is going to based largely on his achievements in the last 3 years, which I think this board is probably overstating a tad.

Out of left field...

what about Travis Cloke to the Western Bulldogs

Ryan Griffin to the Adelaide Crows

Chris Knights to Collingwood.

Plus

we give our first round pick (12) to the dogs and they give a second round pick to Collingwood (mid 30's)

Just a Couple of things on this one first we dont have that much cash freeing up if we lose Aker Eagleton Johno and Harbrow the only one would be Griffen here, for us to pay Cloke.

on top of this we have Grant Jones Roughead and even Cordy all dow there that are coming into their own as big key Forwards/Rucks

second we will be using our 2nd rounder on Libba and our 1st on Wallis that being about picks 18-late 30s

so this trade looking at it look that it will get done.

just on the whole Griffen to crows thing just for the sake of the thread.

i could see the dogs going 2 ways, thats 1 put everything into stepping up in 2011 which we can do imo or

2 clean out just abit, knowing we are getting Wallis and Libba both rated first rounders, also picking up 2 first round DP's for Harbrow so maybe seek a trade for the Likes of Hargrave and Gilbee along with Griffen abit like what we did in 99 with Cameron and Monty.

So maybe a trade with WCE the Crows and us something along the lines of

WCE Hill + ???
Crows Griffen + ???
WBD Knights picks 4 and 12

Now this trade is just as a base and other things will need to be added to get it done.

im not saying that any of this will get done but if the dogs look at their list at the end of the season they might decide to cut things back abit.

Is it worth pointing out that the Advertiser today quoted Phil Harper as saying that Ryan Griffen's Management had said no to any deal with Adelaide as he wants to stay in Melbourne?

Was on the Geelong board and they were musing over the repercusions if Gablett stayed or not. They were intimating that if he stayed, the who would they be looking to offload to ease the salary cap pressure. Names that were bandying about were Blake and Byrnes.

Now there's lots of anti Byrnes sentiment both on their board and on here, however from a purely stats point of view, he has kicked 30+ goals in each of the past two seasons. Isn't that what we're after? Agree he has questionable disposal, however he is fairly accurate in front of goal.

Blake I'm not sure of. Apparently has a large contract, but is he that much better than what we have now? I'd say yes but at what cost?

Quite frankly I don't think it'd surprise if Riley was upgraded too, he has progressed really well by the looks, run out of a bit of steam recently, but other than that, I think he's shown he's very much got a future at the highest level.
How is his knee injury after the last SANFL game? Wasn't he taken to hospital?

And that's why I don't think a deal will be done. There's a lot of stuff posted about Collingwood's trading philosophy and that they'll never come to the party and offer a decent trade. My take on it is if they are in need of a certain player/type of player they are generally happy to come to the party - ie Trading for Wood and Jolly - knew they needed rucks and payed over the odds for Wood and fairly for Jolly.

When they have power in the trade (Ball can be taken cheaply in the draft) or the player they are looking at is not a "need" but more an icing on the cake type player who wants to come to Collingwood (Stevens and maybe in this case Knights) they play hard ball a bit more and become harder to deal with. It's probably smart trading in a way. I'm sure they'd love Knights but they don't need Knights - so I'd really be surprised if we were able to broker an acceptable trade with Collingwood.

you've hit the nail on the head. i'd love knights at coll don't get me wrong, he is a quality player. but we have plenty of his ilk (ie midsized goalkicking half forwards who can have a run in the midfield) already and he would be icing on the cake as suggested

to suggest that the pies would consider parting with cloke in any deal for knights is pure lunacy. contested marking key forwards are hard to come by. when you've got one you don't give him up to get something that you essentially already have plenty of. for all his kicking woes cloke has had a pretty good year and i doubt very much that he'll be going anywhere

Is it worth pointing out that the Advertiser today quoted Phil Harper as saying that Ryan Griffen's Management had said no to any deal with Adelaide as he wants to stay in Melbourne?

Don't believe anything until they've signed on the dotted line, especially a player who is still active for his club in an upcoming finals campaign.

Was on the Geelong board and they were musing over the repercusions if Gablett stayed or not. They were intimating that if he stayed, the who would they be looking to offload to ease the salary cap pressure. Names that were bandying about were Blake and Byrnes.

Now there's lots of anti Byrnes sentiment both on their board and on here, however from a purely stats point of view, he has kicked 30+ goals in each of the past two seasons. Isn't that what we're after? Agree he has questionable disposal, however he is fairly accurate in front of goal.

Blake I'm not sure of. Apparently has a large contract, but is he that much better than what we have now? I'd say yes but at what cost?

Blake is not a upgrade on what we have. He is not mobile and cant kick the footy.
Byrnes I also say no to. He will be 27 next year. Rather take a punt on a kid in the draft

Just a Couple of things on this one first we dont have that much cash freeing up if we lose Aker Eagleton Johno and Harbrow the only one would be Griffen here, for us to pay Cloke.

on top of this we have Grant Jones Roughead and even Cordy all dow there that are coming into their own as big key Forwards/Rucks

second we will be using our 2nd rounder on Libba and our 1st on Wallis that being about picks 18-late 30s

so this trade looking at it look that it will get done.

i could see the dogs going 2 ways, thats 1 put everything into stepping up in 2011 which we can do imo or

2 clean out just abit, knowing we are getting Wallis and Libba both rated first rounders, also picking up 2 first round DP's for Harbrow so maybe seek a trade for the Likes of Hargrave and Gilbee along with Griffen abit like what we did in 99 with Cameron and Monty.

So maybe a trade with WCE the Crows and us something along the lines of

WCE Hill + ???
Crows Griffen + ???
WBD Knights picks 4 and 12

Now this trade is just as a base and other things will need to be added to get it done.

im not saying that any of this will get done but if the dogs look at their list at the end of the season they might decide to cut things back abit.

So your saying Crows give up pick 12 and Chris Knights for Griffen. Probably overpaying a little. But Eagles give up pick 4 for Hill :eek:. Do the Eagles get lube with that shafting?

Don't believe anything until they've signed on the dotted line, especially a player who is still active for his club in an upcoming finals campaign.

Exactly. What player in their right is going to come out less than 2 weeks before a finals campaign and say "By the way, I want to leave at the end of the year"

Having said that, I'm still of the opinion that when it comes to trade week, we're going to be very inactive again.

I think when it comes down to it, Craigy just won't be able to come to terms with the whole process and we'll remain very stagnant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're only getting one draft pick (which may be at the end of the first round) for an AA Club Champion CHB in Bock then there is no way that you'll get 2 first round picks for Harbrow. That sort of compensation would be reserved for the absolute elite of the AFL (eg Ablett).

Hargrave = do not want
Gilbee is more enticing however he's 29 so not that interested either.

Knights hasn't 'torn it up in the mid-field'.

Check out his 2007 season here:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-adelaide-crows--chris-knights

Whilst we can dicker over the definitino of 'torn it up' his averages are very very good.

Considering the fact Griffen and Knighta are not that far apart in age check out this from the 2007 season:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...86&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2009&fid2=P&fopt2=2007

Who was 'tearing it up'?
(you can look at 08 season as well and knights still in front, 09 obviously Griffen in front in dispoasl but Knights marks and goals significnatly in front)

Now the big difference is the quality of Griffen's usage is typically better and Knights is more injury prone.

I think the x-factor Knights can bring as a HFF who can kick long long goals offsets that to a large degree IF you can keep him fit. That's the risk quantity in such a trade IMO.

Griffin is gone, wants a trade to a Perth club. Just announced on 10 news.

A Perth club in the WAFL? :D

I hope that he has done his homework and has a definite committment from either WC or Freo.

In exchange, anything other than a top 50 draft pick would not be much use to us i suspect as IMO we would only go into the draft for the 1st 3 rounds.

Perhaps something in the Rhys Palmer rumour? We'll see. No doubt the club will offer him packaged with a draft pick to try to entice something.

How about a pick and Griffin for Brad Ebert?

Griffin would provide more reliable back up to cox/naita than Sullivan who is a chance to be delisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back