Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya think? Don't overestimate the organizational intelligence at a football club. You're more likely to find people interested in the minutiae sitting at home on their laptop, obsessing over every detail, than you are in middle management at a football club.

Anyway - it would be more likely you misunderstood him than he got it wrong. Other than not being sure whether a compensation pick can be traded (and I believe it can) - everything else stabby said was true.

Can the compensation pick as an entity can be traded? Like, let's say we get a "band 2 compensation draft pick", can we trade that? Or is it more that, say, in 2012, we choose to cash it in to get an extra first round draft pick, and then we can choose to trade that draft pick if we want?

If it's the former, then we may trade it away this season, but I was under the impression that we weren't able to. If it's the latter, then it's hard to see us cashing it in this year unless there is an incredible offer on the table that requires pick 26 to get over the line.

Adelaide - Ryan Griffen

Freo - Jono Griffin

WB - Chris Knights + draft pick from Freo

I can handle losing Griffin and Knights for Griffen (would be very, very sad to see Knights go though).

However, surely the issue is the level of pick Freo would actually give up for GriffIn and whether this pick would be of any value in the GriffEn deal.

I would've thought 2nd round pick at absolute best, so something mid 30's?

I can handle losing Griffin and Knights for Griffen (would be very, very sad to see Knights go though).

However, surely the issue is the level of pick Freo would actually give up for GriffIn and whether this pick would be of any value in the GriffEn deal.

I would've thought 2nd round pick at absolute best, so something mid 30's?

I guess if Griffen has demanded he be traded to us only then WB are not in any position to call the shots. I would also think the Dogs would be happy to recieve Knighta then lose Griff in the PSD for nothing.

Ya think? Don't overestimate the organizational intelligence at a football club. You're more likely to find people interested in the minutiae sitting at home on their laptop, obsessing over every detail, than you are in middle management at a football club.

Anyway - it would be more likely you misunderstood him than he got it wrong. Other than not being sure whether a compensation pick can be traded (and I believe it can) - everything else stabby said was true.

OK, so I got it wrong, but you believe what I said is correct. WTF?

If my source was wrong then I think he will probably get the sack given that it would be his job to know. But hey if you blokes know better, good for you.:rolleyes:

I'm sure it won't happen and I'll just waste my time getting my hopes up but could you if we were able to get Griffen and Palmer :eek:.

Our midfield would go from very suspect to quite strong.

Griffen, Thompson, Vince, Palmer, Dangerfield, Mackay, Reilly, Douglas, Sloane.

All big bodied.

Some pace with Griffen, Danger and Mackay.

Improved skill level with Griffen, Vince and Mackay.

Would allow Danger to still spend a reasonable amount of time up forward.

Palmer and Griffen (this year) would bring more ball winning ability.

The opposition tag at times would be a raffle between Griffen, Thompson, Vince, Palmer and maybe Danger depending on who is playing best at the time.

Would probably give us the luxury of Otten playing across half back rather than midfield or back pocket (last year).

As much as I'd like to use our first round pick in the draft and would be sad to lose knights, if we gained Griffen and Palmer I'd quickly get over it.

Our midfield would still be young and definitely a strong capable unit.

Add that to a very young, talented, up and coming forward line and a pretty good defense, we could actually be back in contention out of no where.

As I said though, both trades probably wont happen :(

Palmer would be good, his kicking wasn't as bad as made out by bigfooty, i would give a first rounder for him if we can't get Griffen, were not going to have the picks to trade for both unless we do Knights + player for Griffen and first round + Griffin for Palmer, either that or Griffin gets delisted i don't really care.

Otten at half-back is a good idea, if we can't pick up some quality midfielders than we might not have that luxury. Otten playing back is better than playing a Schmidt or Symes or <insert average midfielder>.

We really need at least two established midfielders if we want to challenge soon, if not we will be 3-4 years off.

Palmer would be good, his kicking wasn't as bad as made out by bigfooty, i would give a first rounder for him if we can't get Griffen, were not going to have the picks to trade for both unless we do Knights + player for Griffen and first round + Griffin for Palmer, either that or Griffin gets delisted i don't really care.

What about,

Knights + pick 12 = Ryan Griffen

Jon Griffin + pick 31 = Palmer

Maybe Freo wouldnt do it depending on what they think of Griffin and whether Palmer wants to leave.

If (a big IF) Ryan Griffen wants to come to Adelaide than we're laughing. Knights could be a straight swap for Griffen or Knights and pick 31, freeing up our pick 12.

Not sure where the Ryan Griffen rumor coming back to the crows story generated from but him mum and sister are 'alledgilly' moving to Melbourne. His sister has applied to go to monash uni.

last year against the Crows, Palmer had a shot on goal directly in front about 10m out. he stabbed at the kick and shanked it. barely made it in for a behind.
wonder what Palmer is worth these days though... adding Griffin to the trade doesn't really add much value, so i'd assume Palmer would still be worth a first or second rounder. i wonder why he would want to come to AFC though... when was the last time a non-South Australian requested a trade to the AFC? Wayne Carey?

Not sure where the Ryan Griffen rumor coming back to the crows story generated from but him mum and sister are 'alledgilly' moving to Melbourne. His sister has applied to go to monash uni.

The Ryan Griffen romour comes up about this time every year. Never actually heard anything substantial behind it, more just wishful thinking I think.

What about,

Knights + pick 12 = Ryan Griffen

Jon Griffin + pick 31 = Palmer

Maybe Freo wouldnt do it depending on what they think of Griffin and whether Palmer wants to leave.

If (a big IF) Ryan Griffen wants to come to Adelaide than we're laughing. Knights could be a straight swap for Griffen or Knights and pick 31, freeing up our pick 12.
The current Freo football department is not the one that traded for Chris Groome.....unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Palmer?! As in Rhys Palmer?!

**** me are we ever going to get someone who knows how to kick the bloody thing?!

We have way too many players with kicking deficiencies. Its time we actually started recuriting players with some skills.

Palmer?! As in Rhys Palmer?!

**** me are we ever going to get someone who knows how to kick the bloody thing?!

We have way too many players with kicking deficiencies. Its time we actually started recuriting players with some skills.

Mate I don't where you were when he debuted. he was effing brilliant. But then he had two major knee ops, so of course he will have some problems getting back into the swing of things, but he is nothing but quality. Be happy to have him at the crows.

Mate I don't where you were when he debuted. he was effing brilliant. But then he had two major knee ops, so of course he will have some problems getting back into the swing of things, but he is nothing but quality. Be happy to have him at the crows.
Oh I am well aware of Palmer's ability to ge the footy. What I am questioning is his ability to kick the ball efficiently and especially under pressure. Even when he notched up the rising star (IIRC he won it, or was definetly a top 3) he still was a shit kick. He still is a shit kick.

What I am getting at is that we seem to not place too much emphasis on kicking skills in our recruiting. We always write it off as something that is correctable and something that can be learnt but those sort of players have not improved in this aspect of their game. Symes, Tippett, Cook, Sloane, Dangerfield are some of the players that have come to the club with flawed kicks and none of them have improved significantly in this area.

I think we don'r place enough value on players being able to kick when it comes to recuriting them. All that I can say is that if you keep picking up players that can't kick you will NOT have a side with good kicking efficiency and if you don't have that, you won't go far. Simple as that.

old saying rings true, can't kick, can't play!

So why would they trade him for J Griffin?

Oh I am well aware of Palmer's ability to ge the footy. What I am questioning is his ability to kick the ball efficiently and especially under pressure. Even when he notched up the rising star (IIRC he won it, or was definetly a top 3) he still was a shit kick. He still is a shit kick.

What I am getting at is that we seem to not place too much emphasis on kicking skills in our recruiting. We always write it off as something that is correctable and something that can be learnt but those sort of players have not improved in this aspect of their game. Symes, Tippett, Cook, Sloane, Dangerfield are some of the players that have come to the club with flawed kicks and none of them have improved significantly in this area.

I think we don'r place enough value on players being able to kick when it comes to recuriting them. All that I can say is that if you keep picking up players that can't kick you will NOT have a side with good kicking efficiency and if you don't have that, you won't go far. Simple as that.

old saying rings true, can't kick, can't play!

Yeah, tend to agree. Not that you wouldn't take him if he was available at the right price - he'd be an upgrade on a few in our side - but if we're going to land one player this trade period, please let it be Ryan Griffen.

On Stiffy's points - I think this harks back to the philosophies at the club where natural talent is not valued as highly as hard-work, discipline and effort.

Be interesting to see if this ever chagnes or if we can be successful with the current philosophy.

i thought this was the CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS. Who says that the trade is set in stone.

Wasn't the entire rumor (regarding Griffin, Knights and Palmer) connected to the same person, or radio interview?

Why would one part be true and another be false?

Rhys Palmer for Jonathon Griffin + Pick 31 would be the trade of the century.

You would think Palmer must be really unhappy at Freo for that to ever happen. I wouldn't mind Palmer although his kicking is a concern. He's only just come back from a knee reco this year and often guys take about a year to really get back up to speed. Should be back to his ball winning best next year.

Lindsay Thomas is on our shortlist.

Source? Rendell.

Who/what would they want?

I guess McKernan is the first name that will be thought of...

Love to get Thomas but giving away raw but talented talls at such a young age is a massive risk...unless he couldn't be bothered playing here, in which case it could be a mutually beneficial trade (with whatever sweeteners required...prob is we'd pay top dollar and Smack remains cheap).

We do have good 'potential' tall depth but as yet we don't really know which ones will come on strong and which ones will fall by the wayside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back