Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We wanted Troy Selwood 2 years back. Now he has been delisted would we pick him up? Big No from me but he could tag and release Reilly to play a more attacking position. Plus we are light on for experience now.

Please dont get Shannon Hurn. He has one bow to his string long kicking - wow!! For that one time in a quarter we kick long to a pack Hurn might come in handy...

Please dont get Shannon Hurn. He has one bow to his string long kicking - wow!! For that one time in a quarter we kick long to a pack Hurn might come in handy...

A long accurate kick is the best way to break the zone and create a break away through the middle/wings. If you don't have any players with those type of kicks it makes it much harder to break the lines.

Who in our backline now could do that regulary? Johncock is about the only one with serious drive from the backlines now Bock is gone.

Lindsay Thomas for Mckernan

I'd take this trade without blinking.

I understand that it is all a subjective comparison, however, Cmndstab, may i ask why you would do that trade "without blinking" (that implies that you hardly rate McKernan or overate Thomas).

IMO McKernan is a very talented player with a huge upside.
He is still 19yo, a very mobile big man, and IMO what is holding him back from blossoming into a star seems to be predominantly a lack of self-belief in his ability. I have seen him single-handledy win or get South Adelaide back into a game on quite a few occassions. Unfortunately, he is not doing it consistently, either on a game to game basis, nor within a quarter to quarter basis.
I have no doubt that due to his character that he may be suffering home-sickness and exacurbated by his disappointing year but nevertheless Mackay for example was the same earlier and look at him now, and i restate that McKernan is a huge talent waiting to be released.

Wona is signed on till end of next year, so won't happen unless he wants to leave or the club don't want him.

if Collingwood were interested in Cook, we wouldn't get much if anything for him.

why do some players only get 50% TOG? seems like such a waste, considering the increase in amount of rotations across the league, and us having a secondary ruckman who spends half the game on the pine, because either he's useless or cannot contribute enough to the team to be able to allow a running player to rest.

I think in this case it was more the exception rather than the rule. We probably had our tallest side for the year last week due to the role Young played and we probably had 1 or 2 runners less than Collingwood as it was.

We had Maric and Sellar in ruck.

In defense we had Davis 196cm, Rutten 191cm (but a massive guy), Stevens 194cm.

In the forward line we had Tippett 201cm, Walker 192/3cm, Young 192cm, Henderson 190cm.

Simply, when Sellar wasnt rucking he had to sit on bench because of he played forward we would have had 5 above 190cm and if he played in defense we would have had 4 above 191cm (3 above 194cm).

At most he could have relieved one of the talls at times, but I think for instance when one of our talls in forward line came off for a rest we just played with one less tall up there and still had 3.

A long accurate kick is the best way to break the zone and create a break away through the middle/wings. If you don't have any players with those type of kicks it makes it much harder to break the lines.

Who in our backline now could do that regulary? Johncock is about the only one with serious drive from the backlines now Bock is gone.

yeah its all great to have a long kick. But when your not on the park it really doesn't matter.

I agree. Now I know I'm in the minority BIG TIME, but I just dont rate him anywhere near as much as most. Would require a 1st round pick and if it came down to that, I reckon we could find a better long term player in the draft. I'm happy to give up the 1st pick fir the right player, but not Hurn imo.

I agree. Now I know I'm in the minority BIG TIME, but I just dont rate him anywhere near as much as most. Would require a 1st round pick and if it came down to that, I reckon we could find a better long term player in the draft. I'm happy to give up the 1st pick fir the right player, but not Hurn imo.

Is Hurn going to add something to help us win a premiership? If yes, then I'm all for a trade, if not then find a player who will.

I understand that it is all a subjective comparison, however, Cmndstab, may i ask why you would do that trade "without blinking" (that implies that you hardly rate McKernan or overate Thomas).

IMO McKernan is a very talented player with a huge upside.
He is still 19yo, a very mobile big man, and IMO what is holding him back from blossoming into a star seems to be predominantly a lack of self-belief in his ability. I have seen him single-handledy win or get South Adelaide back into a game on quite a few occassions. Unfortunately, he is not doing it consistently, either on a game to game basis, nor within a quarter to quarter basis.
I have no doubt that due to his character that he may be suffering home-sickness and exacurbated by his disappointing year but nevertheless Mackay for example was the same earlier and look at him now, and i restate that McKernan is a huge talent waiting to be released.

I would do that trade "without blinking" because while I like McKernan, he's yet to show he has what it takes to even make it to AFL level, let alone play solid footy there. He's at a dangerous height, where he can be caught between positions (too short for ruck, will he be a good enough KPP at AFL level?), and is recognised as not being super strong mentally (gets down on himself, which seemingly sunk almost this entire season for him).

Thomas on the other hand may not have set the world on fire (his finish to the season in particular has been disappointing), but has played some decent footy for the last couple of seasons. He's just starting to come to the age where his sort of player should start to hit their straps, and there is a vacant position in our squad for his exact type of player.

In the end it boils down to this - we need what Thomas can bring to the table. He may not be able to bring it in spades, but we need it nonetheless. McKernan may turn out to be a great player, but we have a handfull of 6'6"-ish half KPP half ruckmen type players already. Thomas is entering the prime age for his career, whereas McKernan has yet to prove he'll even have an AFL career. We're losing so much senior experience that having a "ready to go" player in a vacant position would be a big boost for us. After our retirements, Thomas' 72 games would see him become the 12th most experienced player on our list. Perhaps "without blinking" might be unnecessarily emotive, but I think our need for his type means that the potential gain outweighs the risk of losing yet another key tall that may or may not develop.

What did everyone think of Roos article on Sunday about going after Cooney or Griffen?

Griffen is obviously more likely as he is out of contract.

What did everyone think of Roos article on Sunday about going after Cooney or Griffen?

Griffen is obviously more likely as he is out of contract.
If Griffen is out of contract we can trade for Cooney and pick up Griffen the same way Ball went to Collingwood

Nah last year i saw games where he tore it apart when set free from defense. Was hitting long targets at a crazy accuracy rate. He's often been used as a shut down defender and I dont really think he's been used in the right positions to maximise his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn would be a very valuable player for us if we managed to lure him back home. He doesn't get a lot of the ball but when he does his kicks are always pin-point passes. Players that can kick long over the zone and hit their teammate on the chest from 50 metres away don't grow on trees. Apart from Johncock, we don't really have that much drive from defence so Hurn would be someone who would fit perfectly into our structure IMO. With West Coast being such a terrible side, I don't think Hurn has reached his full potential yet.

Hurn would be a very valuable player for us if we managed to lure him back home. He doesn't get a lot of the ball but when he does his kicks are always pin-point passes. Players that can kick long over the zone and hit their teammate on the chest from 50 metres away don't grow on trees. Apart from Johncock, we don't really have that much drive from defence so Hurn would be someone who would fit perfectly into our structure IMO. With West Coast being such a terrible side, I don't think Hurn has reached his full potential yet.

hurn only has to have 14 or 15 touches to hurt you. reasonable defender with a very reliable, penetrating kick... im sold on him...

My thoughts on McKernan for Thomas:

I've said a few times on this forum that our excessive, arguably, drafting of talls was to put us in a good position to trade come the next few trade weeks.

I'd do it and I'd reckon the club would also consider it strongly.

Bock leaving has an impact of course but I still think we are carrying an extra 'tweener' that can be used for trade bait.

The Crows will never land Cooney. He has said himself moving away from Adelaide was the best thing that ever happened to him. He now puts down South Australia any chance he can get. Griffen on the other hand is becoming a very strong rumor around Adelaide. Rod Jameson is not one to broadcast BS. His sources are usually pretty good.

If Griffen is out of contract we can trade for Cooney and pick up Griffen the same way Ball went to Collingwood

Yeah, no-one would draft Griffen before us.

In the end it boils down to this - we need what Thomas can bring to the table. He may not be able to bring it in spades, but we need it nonetheless. McKernan may turn out to be a great player, but we have a handfull of 6'6"-ish half KPP half ruckmen type players already. Thomas is entering the prime age for his career, whereas McKernan has yet to prove he'll even have an AFL career. We're losing so much senior experience that having a "ready to go" player in a vacant position would be a big boost for us. After our retirements, Thomas' 72 games would see him become the 12th most experienced player on our list. Perhaps "without blinking" might be unnecessarily emotive, but I think our need for his type means that the potential gain outweighs the risk of losing yet another key tall that may or may not develop.

What if he ends up being the best of the lot?

McKernen scares me because he may end up having all the potential in the world but never playing more than a handful of games, and thus losing the opportunity to trade him with any value,

OR

He lives up to his potential and becomes one of those players that has the size and physical attributes to dominate all over the ground in a number of different positions ala Goodes. He hasn't even turned 20 yrs old yet.

Geez... we'd want pretty good compo for Smack I think. We got him as a mid-20's pick and have put 2 years into him. That game earlier in the year where he single handedly got them over the line against the eagles resonates with me as to how good he might become.

He's still a kid, he's got a good leap, excellent agility, good skills... but is inconsistent. The only reason for trading him is on consistency... which for his age is to be completely expected.

I have absolutely zero doubt what so ever he is going to make a good AFL KPP who can pinch hit in the ruck. If we trade him for a 2nd rounder I'll be absolutely spewing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back