Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS/PROPOSALS - ALL trade rumours & proposals go here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here! (Part 2)

Hopefully we now put more effort in trying to lure Hurn back home, he should be our next big target.

Hopefully we now put more effort in trying to lure Hurn back home, he should be our next big target.

I agree completely BACCS.I want us to be targeting players in this range that will fill needs within our squad. Hurn would be a massive pick up if we get him.

Pavlich just signed a 4 year deal with Fremantle. Just released on their website :(

Gold, Pav was once again just using us for his retirement fund.

personally thank god that happened, I wasn't looking forward to that trade at all.

now for something different.

usual noise from Pav, use Adel to pump up his market value

4 years as a 29 yr old, big last contract

Shrewd if not predictable negotiations from Pav.

So are there any top level players left to target?

Or are we down to second and third tier players now (Hurn, Jacobs et al)

Out of those who do we really think will benefit the club for an adequate price?

Not sold on Hurn but all comes down to cost i guess.

What do people think is adequate?

Any other players worthwhile?

Josh Drummond from Brisbane? Better version of Hurn imo.

Addition: As I've said before, we need to target players from clubs potentially on the slide for a while, or target those on the outer at clubs. The 'go home' factor is minimal (though if the above conditions were met it could help a guy move if he was from here), and generally it's very difficult to entice a player to Adelaide (again that's why we need to target the disgruntled and disenfranchised)

So Brisbane (Drummond), Essendon (??), West Coast (Hurn) are targets...as well as anyone who fits a niche but isn't in a clubs best 22 (? Jacobs).

Perfect. He would be a welcome addition to the Croweaters. He could play as a straight up replacement for anyone across the halfback line(Also as a replacement for Michael 'Dogga' Doughty when he goes). He could also be used as a player on in the foward line if needed. I reckon yu just popp him 65 metres out and it's bound to result from something.

Basically.....GO FOR HURN!

I smell a disappointing trade week coming up when we're shopping around Chris Knights.

Neil Craig at trade week: Don't you have something that isn't out of our price range? I don't want to go away empty-handed, Paul.

Paul Hamilton: Take it easy, willyu, huh? You'll ruin this feeling I'm getting from ya. How about...

news_imagesize.asp

Neil Craig: Ummm...

Paul Hamilton: Look Neil, you'll never get a better player than this, and I don't mean that in a good way. I mean, literally, buddy. This is it for you. It's this or Michael Quinn.

Not sold on Hurn but all comes down to cost i guess.

What do people think is adequate?

Any other players worthwhile?

Josh Drummond from Brisbane? Better version of Hurn imo.

Addition: As I've said before, we need to target players from clubs potentially on the slide for a while, or target those on the outer at clubs. The 'go home' factor is minimal (though if the above conditions were met it could help a guy move if he was from here), and generally it's very difficult to entice a player to Adelaide (again that's why we need to target the disgruntled and disenfranchised)

So Brisbane (Drummond), Essendon (??), West Coast (Hurn) are targets...as well as anyone who fits a niche but isn't in a clubs best 22 (? Jacobs).
You are against getting Hurn, but want to target the heavily injury prone Drummond? That doesn't make sense at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil Harper says there were 20 trade targets on their list. With alot of the star power gone, i took a stab at who some on the list might be:

Walker (Carlton)
Jacobs (Carlton)
Hill (Bulldogs)
Houli (Essendon)
Drummond (Brisbane)
Nahas (Richmond)
Tambling (Richmond)
Hurn (Wes Coast)
Goldsack (Collingwood)
Shammer (Fre)
Palmer (Freo)
Thomas (North Mebl)
Campbell (North Melb)
Wood (Collingwood)
Djuerrkura (Geelong)
Gamble (Geelong)
Wonnaeamirri (Melbourne)
Maric (Melbourne)
Barlow (Sydney)
Veszpremi (Sydney)
Fergus Watts (just kidding)

I think alot of them could be useful. Any of these players of interest to us?

can't believe Pav got a FOUR year contract.
Neither can I, given that he turns 29 on NYE this year. 4 years for a player at that age is just ridiculous. You'd think they might have learned from the way Bradshaw's 3-year contract is already burning the Swans..

The 1-year contract past 30 is one AFC contracting rule with which I vehemently agree. The risk of a player hitting the wall beyond that point is just too high to justify a longer contract.

Time will tell but 4 years??!! Geez!! No other club would have offered him that. Would love to see the conditions that go with that contract.

Would be a way to make up the shortfall from the GC offer, I will give Freo credit for going that extra step needed to secure Pav which is something I often wonder whether we would do in the same situation.

Pretty good business by Freo I would have thought.

4 years for someone who is incredibly durable, an AFL and club champion, still playing some of the best footy of his career and captain, it's a pretty easy decision to make really. He can last 4 years at the top level considering he will only be 33 when his contract is expiring. Just look at Barry Hall.

Also Vader, I'm interested to know, hypothetically what if one of your stars was 27-28 and wanted a 5yr contract which means you cannot do this 1yr contract after the age of 30 stuff. Would you want your club to offer one of your stars that 5yr deal which would take him through to the age of 32-33 at its conclusion or would you risk him leaving?

4 years for someone who is incredibly durable, an AFL and club champion, still playing some of the best footy of his career and captain, it's a pretty easy decision to make really. He can last 4 years at the top level considering he will only be 33 when his contract is expiring. Just look at Barry Hall.

Also Vader, I'm interested to know, hypothetically what if one of your stars was 27-28 and wanted a 5yr contract which means you cannot do this 1yr contract after the age of 30 stuff. Would you want your club to offer one of your stars that 5yr deal which would take him through to the age of 32-33 at its conclusion or would you risk him leaving?

Don't know about Vader, but I wouldn't want my club to offer any 27-28 year old a five year contract regardless of who it was.

Neither can I, given that he turns 29 on NYE this year. 4 years for a player at that age is just ridiculous. You'd think they might have learned from the way Bradshaw's 3-year contract is already burning the Swans..

The 1-year contract past 30 is one AFC contracting rule with which I vehemently agree. The risk of a player hitting the wall beyond that point is just too high to justify a longer contract.

Freo might have just resorted to making a deal that was going to secure Pav rather than go the Crows route of offering him an unattractive offer only to then see the player walk out for a more secure deal at another club.

Don't know about Vader, but I wouldn't want my club to offer any 27-28 year old a five year contract regardless of who it was.

and that's why we will continue to lose players to the overtures of other clubs and will struggle to attract players to our club especially with free agency coming in.

If our mentality towards contracts doesnt make a drastic change between now and when free agency is upon us we will lose far more players than we will be able to attract.

Adelaide's standard operating procedure would be to offer him a 3-year deal, taking him to the age of 30 (but stopping before his 31st birthday). From that point on it's 1-year deals, but these 1-year contracts are more generous financially than the standard 2-year deal would be to balance out the loss of job security.

No, I absolutely would NOT want the club giving a 27-28yo a 5-year contract, no matter who the player is/was.

Time will tell whether the Hall contract turns out to be a work of genius, or an anchor around Footscray's neck. So far so good - he's gone through the first year of his 2-year contract without having a career ending brain explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back