Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS/PROPOSALS - ALL trade rumours & proposals go here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here! (Part 2)

and that's why we will continue to lose players to the overtures of other clubs and will struggle to attract players to our club especially with free agency coming in.

If our mentality towards contracts doesnt make a drastic change between now and when free agency is upon us we will lose far more players than we will be able to attract.
Rubbish. The club balances the lack of job security by paying them more for the 1-year contracts. 2x 1-year contracts >>> 1x 2-year contract (financially).

We MAY have a problem with underpaying our stars and over-paying our middle-of-the-road players, but the duration of our contracts is very rarely an issue. Actually, I think that this IS a problem - one which we're going to seriously address by the time Free Agency comes in.

The only players to leave because of contract lengths are Hudson and Welsh. We've been burned by Hudson's departure, but the contract length wasn't the REAL reason he left anyway. Welsh got screwed by the club, but we didn't miss him once he was gone.

Doesn't half of Pav's contract fall outside the cap after next year? Maybe that's why they went for a 4 yr deal.

Drummond is 28 next year and is injured too much of the time.. The reason he is on most peoples dream team "do not touch" list..

Freo would have thrown 4 years at Pav to secure the deal.. Would have told him how no other club will show him the loyalty they will and if he slows down/injuries etc, he will be possibly cut at another club..

At least the extra cash of GC doesn't make them all jump.. Well done Pav..

With Griffen and Pav now off the table I wonder where our sights are set now? Craig has mentioned expat South Australians so I'd reckon Hurn would be close to number one on our list. Shane Edwards has had his best season and is yet to turn 22 and Jack Redden is only 20 but not sure what is contract status is? Could be worth a look with the cap pressure Brisbane are under. With J Griffin heading home you'd think we'd be in the market for a ready to go ruckman also. Would not be surprised if Jacobs, Cam Wood or Big Willbur Minson are on the radar at the price.

Now that both Griffen (bugger) and Pav (gun but meh IMHO) are off the table we MUST keep Knighta.

There is no one left out there that would be worth losing Knights.

Sure keep going after Hurn and Walker etc, but we must get Chris' signature.

Does anyone else find it frustrating that in the year we come out and say we're keen to trade, it's probably our best opportunity to load up on draft picks. We've got #14, #32, the Bock pick plus whatever we get for Griffin.

Now that both Griffen (bugger) and Pav (gun but meh IMHO) are off the table we MUST keep Knighta.

There is no one left out there that would be worth losing Knights.

Sure keep going after Hurn and Walker etc, but we must get Chris' signature.

Does anyone else find it frustrating that in the year we come out and say we're keen to trade, it's probably our best opportunity to load up on draft picks. We've got #14, #32, the Bock pick plus whatever we get for Griffin.

Good post... I'm starting to lean this way as well.

Phil Harper says there were 20 trade targets on their list. With alot of the star power gone, i took a stab at who some on the list might be:

Walker (Carlton)
Jacobs (Carlton)
Hill (Bulldogs)
Houli (Essendon)
Drummond (Brisbane)
Nahas (Richmond)
Tambling (Richmond)
Hurn (Wes Coast)
Goldsack (Collingwood)
Shammer (Fre)
Palmer (Freo)
Thomas (North Mebl)
Campbell (North Melb)
Wood (Collingwood)
Djuerrkura (Geelong)
Gamble (Geelong)
Wonnaeamirri (Melbourne)
Maric (Melbourne)
Barlow (Sydney)
Veszpremi (Sydney)
Fergus Watts (just kidding)

I think alot of them could be useful. Any of these players of interest to us?

Good calls on Maric, Gamble and Veszpremi. I'm also not quite as against Tambling as most people but I'd like the first two 'b-grade' targets to be Walker and Sherman.

Can't tell you how happy I was when I heard Pav signed.

Just to get back on A-Grade targets for a sec, is Col Sylvia an option to throw money at? I'm not sure about his contract situation but I freakin love that bloke.

Now this won't mean much to most of you but I'll post it anyway. A mate of mine is a bouncer at an Adelaide nightclub and had the honour of letting Chris Knights and a few other Crows boys in on the weekend. He asked him if he's staying, as you do, and Knighta replied "Yeah mate, definitely. I'm not going anywhere."

I know I know, "what do you expect him to say to a fan?". His emphatic response brought a smile to my face anyway.

a fit drummond is better than that.

a fit drummond is also pretty rare

You could say he's on par with Bock...when fit he's AA standard off the HB line.

Maybe the Bock compensation was right given his injury status and lack of consistent high level performance over his career:confused:

Phil Harper says there were 20 trade targets on their list. With alot of the star power gone, i took a stab at who some on the list might be:

Walker (Carlton)
Jacobs (Carlton)
Hill (Bulldogs)
Houli (Essendon)
Drummond (Brisbane)
Nahas (Richmond)
Tambling (Richmond)
Hurn (Wes Coast)

Goldsack (Collingwood)
Shammer (Fre)
Palmer (Freo)
Thomas (North Mebl)
Campbell (North Melb)
Wood (Collingwood)
Djuerrkura (Geelong)
Gamble (Geelong)
Wonnaeamirri (Melbourne)
Maric (Melbourne)
Barlow (Sydney)
Veszpremi (Sydney)
Fergus Watts (just kidding)

I think alot of them could be useful. Any of these players of interest to us?

These are the ones for me off that list. I'd be very interested in Gamble, and even Hill, but we don't need that size/position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can't believe Pav got a FOUR year contract.

Considering he has played 235 games already and no player playing for WC or Freo has played more than 276 (i think its around that number) you would think the body would start breaking down more often than not, especially in that 4th year

But Freo will only have half of his pay under the salary cap, so it might work out for them

Heard the deal was about 3 mil over 4 years

Now for my trade targets:

Would be hapy if we ended up with Hurn and Jacobs during trade week. Would fill 2 needs. Keep Knights is a number 1 priority now and drafting a quick mid with good skills is high up there too

If we just get Jacobs and Hurn, it would have been a very good trade week for us. Add a crumber and its excellent

Maric would be very cheap not getting a game at Melb at present so no thanks, Drummond injury prone and a bit old, Shammer yep a straight swap for Griff (cheese and onion for salt and vinegar) great for his SANFL team, Nahas to small reason he is not getting a game for Richmond, Gamble isnt he tall or a forward have we got enough tweeners ?? the rest ok

Ok im using sherman as an example here. Couldn't we, (provided he wanted to come here and only here), start negotiations with the lions with the sole intention to not get a deal done. Sherman (as planned) strolls out on the lions and informs all clubs that he will only play for Adelaide. Then, using some form of gentlemens agreement, get all other clubs to lay off him in the draft. We scoop him up at pick 50-odd in a somewhat shallow draft year and get a bargain.

Is this possible? Is this what happened with ball (pretty much)?

Hurn would be a good pick up by us, but I don't think that it will be possible with how highly he is regarded at wce, and he is considered a future leader at the club, and that's something the eagles lack especially in their back line with Glass the only senior player in their full strength team. We'll have to pay over the odds and I don't know if it will be worth it in the end. I would trade the Bock compensation pick and nothing more.

My ideal trade would be for Higgins, I know that is a pipe dream, but he has the class that would go beautifully with Vince in the middle, and he wouldn't cost as much as Griffen, and could be as good. But no point in thinking of that really.

I agree that trading is all about getting a player who hasn't yet reached his potential, but has shown glimpses here and there. I remember in the 2006 draft we were keen on Grigg. I think he is the type of player that could really flourish at the crows. He isn't a regular at the blue, but has a fair bit of talent, disposal can be a bit of a hit and miss, but that's something we can work on considering he's still 22. Our 2nd pick and an upgrade of the 3rd round may be on the cards, but no idea of how the trade would pan out to be honest.

With Griffen and Pav now off the table I wonder where our sights are set now? Craig has mentioned expat South Australians so I'd reckon Hurn would be close to number one on our list. Shane Edwards has had his best season and is yet to turn 22 and Jack Redden is only 20 but not sure what is contract status is? Could be worth a look with the cap pressure Brisbane are under. With J Griffin heading home you'd think we'd be in the market for a ready to go ruckman also. Would not be surprised if Jacobs, Cam Wood or Big Willbur Minson are on the radar at the price.

Would love to get Edwards. local boy who's family is still here might be a chance. Had a breakout year this year so might be out of our reach but we might be able to put a deal together involving Knights if he decides he wants to go back to a Melbourne side. Might be able to get Edwards and a pick for Knights, if we got a high enough pick we could then use that to try to get Jacobs. Would be fantastic to get both of them, a quick outside mid and a young tall ruckman, both with loads of potential.

I would be happy to give up a second rounder for Jacobs, he looks like he is a player, especially after the Sydney game last week. Ruckmen normally take 3 or so years to develop so we could snag one that is already developed and that can hold his own against most of the other guys going around. A Maric/Jacobs ruck duo looks pretty good to me.

Rubbish. The club balances the lack of job security by paying them more for the 1-year contracts. 2x 1-year contracts >>> 1x 2-year contract (financially).

We MAY have a problem with underpaying our stars and over-paying our middle-of-the-road players, but the duration of our contracts is very rarely an issue. Actually, I think that this IS a problem - one which we're going to seriously address by the time Free Agency comes in.

The only players to leave because of contract lengths are Hudson and Welsh. We've been burned by Hudson's departure, but the contract length wasn't the REAL reason he left anyway. Welsh got screwed by the club, but we didn't miss him once he was gone.

The point I raised about contract length was more of a superficial example of our club being overly conservative with the contracts offered to players.

Freo appear to have offered Pav 4 years to get the deal over the line, rightly or wrongly Freo have possibly paid over the odds to secure him, but ultimately and most importantly got the deal over the line. If you look around at other clubs ie Riewoldt is on close to a million a year at the Saints again you could argue his worth, but that deal was possibly the difference between him being in a Saints jumper or a Suns jumper I just think that in general we dont appear to be anywhere near aggressive enough in comparison with other clubs regarding what we prepared to offer a player to get them to sign, it seems that most other clubs will go that 10 percent further than we will to secure the signaure of a player.

My point is that if we continue that idealogy regarding contracts into free agency we are going to be r*ped and pillaged by the other clubs in the comp.

Brent Stanton Anyone? he's out of contract with Essendon and a Quality mid.... isn't that what we're looking for?

The point I raised about contract length was more of a superficial example of our club being overly conservative with the contracts offered to players.

Freo appear to have offered Pav 4 years to get the deal over the line, rightly or wrongly Freo have possibly paid over the odds to secure him, but ultimately got the deal over the line. The point I was raising is that in general we dont appear to be anywhere near aggressive enough in comparison with other clubs regarding what we prepared to offer a player to get him to sign, it seems that most other clubs will go that 10 percent further than we will to secure the signaure of a player.

But who have we had outside of Roo and Macca have we had that is as good as Pav and had to pay over the odds to keep them?

Macca and Roo were loyal, but outside of those 2, who have we had of Pav's calibre and have to pay over the odds to keep them?

Don't say D.Jarman, as he was always finishing here :thumbsu:

Hurn would be a good pick up by us, but I don't think that it will be possible with how highly he is regarded at wce, and he is considered a future leader at the club, and that's something the eagles lack especially in their back line with Glass the only senior player in their full strength team. We'll have to pay over the odds and I don't know if it will be worth it in the end. I would trade the Bock compensation pick and nothing more.

Agree with all of that. Walker is a cheaper and better option IMO, albeit a few years older.

Wattsyman, yeah Gamble's a 184cm leading forward so we have very little need for him, as much potential as he has. Has shown an ability to play as a crumber or in defence though. I was loving his work in 08 (might've been 07).

Love the way that Hurn plays. He'd be a terriific addition if we could get him, but I can't see that happening. Hope I'm wrong.

Jacobs is a must IMO. SA boy who's a fair way back in the line for Carlton given that he'll be behind Kreuzer, Warnock and maybe even Hampson. He showed against Sydney that he has ability and would strengthen us in ruck, and god knows we need it.

Unlike some, I'm with the club on Andrew Walker. He would add further depth to our mid-field and has reasonably good pace.

I've always liked Shane Edwards from Richmond. He's got blistering pace and would be a star mid-fielder if his kicking matched his pace. he'd be handy though.

I'm sure that there are others that the club is talking too or will talk to.

I support the theory that we don't need draft picks - we need players.

We've lost Bock and almost certainly Griffin, so that's 2 of our best 22 gone. If Knights goes as well, we'll be 3 players down.

Has to be players.

Now this won't mean much to most of you but I'll post it anyway. A mate of mine is a bouncer at an Adelaide nightclub and had the honour of letting Chris Knights and a few other Crows boys in on the weekend. He asked him if he's staying, as you do, and Knighta replied "Yeah mate, definitely. I'm not going anywhere."

I know I know, "what do you expect him to say to a fan?". His emphatic response brought a smile to my face anyway.
He is also really really close mates with Bernie, VB etc etc, that group of players around his age who aren't bad looking guys. I can't see him leaving, he loves it to death here in Adelaide, and has his best mates here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back