Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, exactly, a crap shoot means it’s a gamble, Rioli has proven to be worth that pick

As for us chasing him I’ve repeatedly stated I think it’s a mistake, not because he isn’t a good player but because Richmond want to much and our trades team are gullible
Was #6 too much for Dion Prestia ?
He played 130 games with 30 getting injured

I wouldnt go back and change that today to have Will Brodie in my side thats played 50 games at 2 clubs or
Will setterfield 71 games at 3 clubs or SPS / Jack Bowes

Was #6 too much for Dion Prestia ?
He played 130 games with 30 getting injured

I wouldnt go back and change that today to have Will Brodie in my side thats played 50 games at 2 clubs or
Will setterfield 71 games at 3 clubs or SPS / Jack Bowes
All good points. Have nothing to do with overpaying for a player on the wrong side of his career

All good points. Have nothing to do with overpaying for a player on the wrong side of his career
LOL wrong side of career would depend on what you classify as a career
if you get 130+ games out of a proven Rioli compared to 50 games from a Brodie what difference does it make which side of the career

There will be 15 kids taken in the top 40 that wont reach 100 games

LOL wrong side of career would depend on what you classify as a career
if you get 130+ games out of a proven Rioli compared to 50 games from a Brodie what difference does it make which side of the career

There will be 15 kids taken in the top 40 that wont reach 100 games
I don't know why you keep cherry picking stats. It goes both way. Rioli might only have 50 games left and that kid you pick instead could play 300 games and be a future brownlow medalist.

Honestly if you think Rioli is so good just keep him instead of harping on about draft picks.

I don't know why you keep cherry picking stats. It goes both way. Rioli might only have 50 games left and that kid you pick instead could play 300 games and be a future brownlow medalist.

Honestly if you think Rioli is so good just keep him instead of harping on about draft picks.
Cherry picking what stats

rioli is a known player and draft picks are unknown and history tells you most dont make it and very few become 150 game players

tell Suns coach to leave our player alone so we can keep him

He is not running everything

He is working to form the team he believes will play his game plan and the players he needs to implement that game plan
he had his 1st year to look over the list and see what he needs and has made the call on a few players he doesnt think gets him to where he wants and the players he needs and that is his job. surely you cant expect list managers to find players without the coaches influence to what he needs.

I think you misunderstood my post a bit. Of course a new coach should look over a list and work out what player types suit his new game plan best and tell his list manager. And if that includes rioli for the right reasons no issues. But when the clubs then try to negotiate the actual transaction hardwick should have no role in it at all and if it falls over because Richmond want too much or the gc list manager can't agree on a price he's happy with, that's fine.

I know for a fact that at Geelong (and I'd wager Sydney is similar) that there have been at least half a dozen quality players CS has wanted and recommended to the team but Wells said flat out no either due to the trade price being too much or other issues. And no pressure was put on wells by Scott or anyone else to change that because the coach understands the value of staying in his lane and not taking over the footy department.

If gc are smart they will make sure Damien does the same thing.

I think you misunderstood my post a bit. Of course a new coach should look over a list and work out what player types suit his new game plan best and tell his list manager. And if that includes rioli for the right reasons no issues. But when the clubs then try to negotiate the actual transaction hardwick should have no role in it at all and if it falls over because Richmond want too much or the gc list manager can't agree on a price he's happy with, that's fine.

I know for a fact that at Geelong (and I'd wager Sydney is similar) that there have been at least half a dozen quality players CS has wanted and recommended to the team but Wells said flat out no either due to the trade price being too much or other issues. And no pressure was put on wells by Scott or anyone else to change that because the coach understands the value of staying in his lane and not taking over the footy department.

If gc are smart they will make sure Damien does the same thing.
And there is no indication this has not happened
Dimma would know in his mind what he wants and lets say Rioli is exactly what he wants
He would have discussed it with list management and his coaches and made that decision

But due to their past he would be the person to convince Rioli and sell him the dream/Club and it will be upto the manager to discuss this with Richmond and get the ball rolling.

2 clubs list managers would have had the chat with ground rules set and the indication would have been from Richmond on what would be acceptable and what would rule this totally out. Something like a top 10 pick plus a 2nd rounder
as it must be overs or wont get done. Dimma would have no input in negotiations but list management would know it must be done and unfortunately for the suns it will be over pay but that wont bother them as they are full with talented 18 year olds and will have another this year and 3 more next year so picks mean nothing to them at this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back