Daniher worse than Cloke?

Daniher or Cloke - who's worse?

• Daniher

Votes: 111 51.6%
  • Cloke

Votes: 104 48.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt Jack was emotionally invested in the performance of the team.

If essendon members are happy with Daniher laughing and giggling as he sprays kick after kick, then that's all that matters. Personally, I'd be filthy if one of our players carried on like that.
After the last few years, we've learnt not to take everything so seriously. Watching someone actually enjoy the game sure beats watching somebody sook it up.

Joe knows it's something that needs addressing and is doing that but not everyone needs to be a personality robot like Nathan Buckley

If essendon members are happy with Daniher laughing and giggling as he sprays kick after kick, then that's all that matters. Personally, I'd be filthy if one of our players carried on like that.
AFL football is a game played by strangers for our entertainment. It isn't war. The players should be able to enjoy themselves.

He's coming off an ANZAC Day Medal-winning performance and could've kicked 8 goals on the weekend. His kicking was crap against Melbourne but anyone who doesn't think he's working hard to fix it has no idea. I personally wouldn't be so cheerful out on the field, but Joe is a character who obviously doesn't take the game as seriously as others.

Last edited:
If you are not enjoying yourself, then why play the game at all? If it's literally a chore then there is zero reason anyone should play the game unless its purely for financial reasons.

AFL football is a game played by strangers for our entertainment. It isn't war. The players should be able to enjoy themselves.

He's coming off an Anzac Day medal-winning performance and could've kicked 8 goals on the weekend. His kicking was crap against Melbourne but anyone who doesn't think he's working hard to fix it has no idea. I personally wouldn't be so cheerful out on the field, but Joe is a character who obviously doesn't take the game as seriously as others.

I think that is the part that should have supporters concerned, I am not sure if you can become the best you can possibly be unless you take your football and development seriously.

According to Lloyd, who has worked with him, he doesn't believe he will ever be a good kick but he still believes he could be a good enough kick for goal if he works hard on it. I think he would need to have the ultimate professional approach and focus to be able to minimise the flaws in his kicking action.

Big Joe is must watch tv. Not many players you can say that about these days.

He is wildly inconsistent in his positive actions and negative actions. You just never know what is coming next. He is brilliant...yet laughable.

Single handedly got me back watching EFC games because he is such an interesting watch.

I like the big lug...despite the jumper he wears.

Except he's not... he has the occasional laugh out on the ground. Maybe once or twice a game. It's hardly a big deal and it's how he is.

And, of course, he's playing great footy. He had an off day in front of goal.

I think that is the part that should have supporters concerned, I am not sure if you can become the best you can possibly be unless you take your football and development seriously.

According to Lloyd, who has worked with him, he doesn't believe he will ever be a good kick but he still believes he could be a good enough kick for goal if he works hard on it. I think he would need to have the ultimate professional approach and focus to be able to minimise the flaws in his kicking action.
I think it would be wrong to mistake his ebullient attitude on the field for a lack of dedication off it. I'm sure he's sick off all the attention that comes with lackluster goalkicking performances and is working hard to change it. Most players aren't Tom Scully-like trainers who dedicate most of their lives to training and improvement though.

As others have said, he's a fantastic field kick for someone of his size and even his goalkicking on the run is for the most part good. There's just something that happens when he takes a set shot where he loses all confidence in his routine. It'll never be a strength of his but it does need to improve, because it is the only thing holding him back from being a top 5 key forward.

People talk about the ball drop but surely if he can kick goals on the run from outside 50 it can't be technique related can it?

Unless of course the pressure of the set shot affects his technique - in other words it is a mental thing. I don't know if he will ever quite over come it but he will kick the odd bag and he does add value around the ground.

Practice can actually be bad.
ie; if he has been practicing all his life kicking with the wrong technique, it will take a long time to get rid of that repetitive action he has learnt

Perhaps Haven't watched enough of his field kicking, but is there anything wrong with that? If so, technique ain't the problem.
Riewoldt similarly kicks the ball perfectly ok from the wing to a target but in front of goal not so comfortable. Cloke is similar , so too Roughy and Buddy (better but still miss too many easy ones) and Richo was the same.

It always bewilders me watching players kick out from full back. Within 2/3m of the line and off 2 or 3 steps they can ping a target 55m away..yet give that player a set shot 40m directly in front of goal and they're all at sea with a longer deliberate or robotic run up and other variables.
A lot is above the shoulders.

People talk about the ball drop but surely if he can kick goals on the run from outside 50 it can't be technique related can it?

Unless of course the pressure of the set shot affects his technique - in other words it is a mental thing. I don't know if he will ever quite over come it but he will kick the odd bag and he does add value around the ground.

its partly ball drop but more what he does with his kicking leg. imo it's not a massive thing to fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Haven't watched enough of his field kicking, but is there anything wrong with that? If so, technique ain't the problem.
Riewoldt similarly kicks the ball perfectly ok from the wing to a target but in front of goal not so comfortable. Cloke is similar , so too Roughy and Buddy (better but still miss too many easy ones) and Richo was the same.

It always bewilders me watching players kick out from full back. Within 2/3m of the line and off 2 or 3 steps they can ping a target 55m away..yet give that player a set shot 40m directly in front of goal and they're all at sea with a longer deliberate or robotic run up and other variables.
A lot is above the shoulders.

agree on goal kicking run ups. too many think you need a 20 step run up. you don't.

You don't have to kick over a man on the mark with a field kick in most cases so it's a different technique, a much higher kick. Just needs to practice IMO.

You don't have to kick over a man on the mark with a field kick in most cases so it's a different technique, a much higher kick. Just needs to practice IMO.
That is something I hadn't thought of.

I should get you to vet my posts from here on in.

It's not great reading for Joe.

Having said that, he clearly had a shocker on Sunday. Prior to that he was 12.10 (55%). Hopefully there's not many more days like that.

Nick Reiwoldt 13.2 87%
Sam Reid (Syd) 11.2 85%
Jon Patton 11.2 77%
Taylor Walker 18.6 75%
Tom Hawkins 19.7 73%
Levi Casboult 11.4 73%
Eric Hipwood 11.4 73%
Cale Hooker 11.4 73%
Daniel Menzel 15.6 71%
Jack Watts 12.4 71%
Ben Brown 17.8 68%
Jack Riewoldt 16.8 67%
Jarryd Roughead 10.5 67%
Rory Lobb 8.4 67%
Jeremy Cameron 20.11 65%
Tom Lynch (GC) 17.9 65%
Mark Lecras 13.7 65%
Jack Darling 11.6 65%
Shane Kersten 7.4 64%
Charlie Dixon 14.9 61%
Jesse Hogan 6.4 60%
Tim Membrey 10.7 59%
Tom Lynch (Adel) 11.8 58%
Lance Franklin 14.12 54%
Josh Bruce 10.9 53%
Jack Gunston 6.6 50%
Darcy Moore 5.5 50%
Jesse White 5.5 50%
Jake Stringer 13.14 48%
Cameron McCarthy 9.10 47%
Joe Daniher 13.16 45%

Totally different - potting the **** out of your teammates and walking around like you're about to burst into tears is a bit different to the odd smile. It can affect your teammates confidence, especially when you're a leader like Riewoldt naturally is.

From the way the coverage has been the last couple of days you'd think Daniher was walking around lolling for the entire 2.5 hours.

He had a bit of a smile with Pig and smiles a bit after a goal or behind.

It's just the way he is. After the ****in shithole Essendon has been for the past few years, more than happy for him to have a bit of fun and hopefully he's enjoying himself and not taking it all too seriously when he has a bad day. Overall he's a very hard trainer and preparer so there's no issue with him not taking his career seriously.

Not to mention he's having an awesome year. Maybe it just works for him.

29 shots at goal not including 3 OOTF more than all but Jezza on that list, He's just about unstoppable now in terms of getting the ball, If he gets his kicking into the 60-65% range he'll take games apart.

Depends how you read it.
Jack's body language has always been pretty obvious given how raw it was.

You can take Joey's one of two ways
1) he doesn't give a f*** and thinks the entire thing is a joke
2) he is giving himself a little clip but keeping himself positive.

I was coached on this with Tennis, which to me is very like the FF in AFL. Very individual game and a lot of it is in your head.
The biggest issue i had was dropping my head and letting errors get to me. Could very easily let a 5-1 set get into a slog.
When you learned to shake your head and move on from it quickly, usually with a smirk/smile and quiet word to yourself, you were ready for the next point and not dwelling on the previous.

Put aside his goal kicking stats for the weekend and look at the remainder stats and you can see Daniher stays in the game and his output around the ground is high.

Depends how you read it.
Jack's body language has always been pretty obvious given how raw it was.

You can take Joey's one of two ways
1) he doesn't give a f*** and thinks the entire thing is a joke
2) he is giving himself a little clip but keeping himself positive.

I was coached on this with Tennis, which to me is very like the FF in AFL. Very individual game and a lot of it is in your head.
The biggest issue i had was dropping my head and letting errors get to me. Could very easily let a 5-1 set get into a slog.
When you learned to shake your head and move on from it quickly, usually with a smirk/smile and quiet word to yourself, you were ready for the next point and not dwelling on the previous.

Put aside his goal kicking stats for the weekend and look at the remainder stats and you can see Daniher stays in the game and his output around the ground is high.

The notion that he doesn't care is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

He comes into the club and for years on end shows his commitment in terms of everything he says and does on and off the field.

He smiles ones or twice and the ****wits question "does he care?"

Just typical Barrett style trash journalism. It insults the intelligence of viewers.

The notion that he doesn't care is absolutely ******* ridiculous.

He comes into the club and for years on end shows his commitment in terms of everything he says and does on and off the field.

He smiles ones or twice and the *******s question "does he care?"

Just typical Barrett style trash journalism. It insults the intelligence of viewers.
Most people are ****in stupid though

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniher worse than Cloke?

Back