Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2019 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The possessions stats are wrong on the app for the Swans. They don’t total up properly and there is no way some of them got as few possessions as claimed. Plus of course stats only tell part of the story, the effectiveness of the higher stat players was very average on occasion.

i dont judge them on stats, i judge them on how many times they do something good or how many times they impress me, the totals of the players i mention is over 5 times a game and can be as high as 18 times in a game, that is my system and i think it works better than looking at stats, but stats are there for when i have 2-3 players on like 6 points and they were all similar then i can rank them via their stats or to show their stats to people who are curious.... thats how i do things personally, it takes more time and focus but i feel its more accurate.

P.S. with AFL footy you can judge via stats and usually be right, but because u/18 footy has different level of talent, judging via stats is really bad, because lets say a kid who is on the skill level of a Amateur League gets 30 disposals and a guy on the level of an AFL player gets 25 disposals, their possessions and games will be dramatically different but just looking at stats you might be fooled into thinking the 30 disposal kid played better than the 25 disposal kid...

Last edited:
With the Academy / Interstate teams all playing the Vic metro sides next round, how do you think they’ll go? And do you think it’s ‘coincidental’ that they all play Vic metro sides this week with the Metro trials on (given the Vic metro sides will be weakened somewhat)?

i believe most of the star players in the Vic Metro have School footy and Metro Trials, if that is the case then yes they will probably be weakened, im not 100% sure though, i havnt looked into it, i just heard in the Bendigo game they said we wont be seeing Brodie Kemp from now until near finals time so i assume every club will have the same issue of School footy and Rep sides taking away the best handful of the teams talent, maybe in the case of some teams half of their team?

i believe most of the star players in the Vic Metro have School footy and Metro Trials, if that is the case then yes they will probably be weakened, im not 100% sure though, i havnt looked into it, i just heard in the Bendigo game they said we wont be seeing Brodie Kemp from now until near finals time so i assume every club will have the same issue of School footy and Rep sides taking away the best handful of the teams talent, maybe in the case of some teams half of their team?

I guess it may reduce some potential blowouts in the results which ordinarily wouldn’t be great for the academy / interstate sides or the comp in general. I know some Vic metro sides will have up to ten players unavailable (maybe more) due to trials.

NT V TAS

First Half (NT 21-37 TAS)- both teams arent as well drilled as the academy teams, Tassie seems the better team in this game so far, NT lack a quality mid or something, best for TAS in the first half were O'Neill, Collins, Davis, Menzie, Mansell and Viney, for NT their best was O'Connell, S. Cumming and #40 who isnt in the team sheet, so a mystery kid.

Second Half (NT 44-92 TAS)- Tassie had most of the play and seemed to have the better players overall, which led to them winning comfortably, Tassies best in the 2nd half were Mansell, O'Neill, Callow, Davis, Viney, McGinniss and Baker, for NT their best were S.Cumming, O'Connell and mystery #40

overall the best performers imo were
1. Mitch O'Neill - Tas - 35 disp, got a heap of disposals, mixed poss but was buzzing around and had a better game than last week
2. Oliver Davis - Tas - 22 disp, in and under, good clearance player
3. Rhyan Mansell - Tas - 23 disp 1 gl, run and carry and hit some long kicks, was involved in some good play - 19 yr old
4. O'Connell - NT - 16 disp 3 gls, impressive little guy kicked a couple of goals and was in and under getting clearances in the mid
5. Sam Collins - Tas - 12 disp, intercept marking and clean general play, good 2020 prospect
6. Steven Cumming - NT - 21 disp, loved how he grabbed poss out of the ruck, had a good first half especially
7. Liam Viney - Tas - 13 disp, tough half back, run and carry and uses it well also
8. Jackson Callow - Tas - 19 disp 5 gls, big game from the leading tall forw, good marking and 5 goals, good game
9. I.Seden-Kurnoth - NT - 17 disp, mystery kid who got a bit of poss and was clever with his use of the ball
10. Tyler McGinniss - Tas - 20 disp 2 gls, tall guy who kicked a couple goals and made some good plays

special mentions: Rusca 17, Lake 15, Burrows-Cheng 16, M.McGuiness 17, Steele 15, Harper 15

Last edited:
CALD V WEST

First Half (CALD 49-34 WEST)- this game has little pressure and skill levels are low, makes sense that both teams are winless, Calder with a couple of inclusions are looking the better team so far, Calders best Lakey, Minton-Connell, Mott, Cardillo and Gentile as for Western their best are Rocci, Cassar, Honey and Reynolds

Second Half (CALD 74-62 WEST)- best for Cald in the second half were Lakey, Mott, Minton-Connell, Sutton, Brown and Cardillo, for Western Ford and Borg were good

1. Flynn Lakey - Cald - 20 disp 1 gl, best player on the ground, first game underager, gives you an understanding of the level of these 2 squads
2. Daniel Mott - Cald - 24 disp 2gls, played a solid all round game, good user of the ball
3. Harrison Minton-Connell - Cald - 26 disp 1 gl, worked hard for the win, was busy all day
4. Jackson Cardillo - Cald - 11 disp 2 gls, good forw/mid who puts in a good effort
5. Jake Sutton - Cald - 16 disp, strong forw who played his role well
6. Ned Gentile - Cald - 15 disp 1 gl, played a solid game as forw/mid

poor game, Flynn Lakey(Cald) the only good thing to come out of it

special mentions: Bell-Bartels 15, Simpson 16, Browning 17 1gl, Cassar 17, Kellett 15, Kennedy 17
Agree with you on Lakey. Gentile is clean but size is his main issue.
Both Cannons and Jets need to improve skills base. Maybe they need to get more involved at an earlier age with clubs in their regions.

DAND V GEEL

First Half (DAND 46-42 GEEL)- windy conditions, wind favouring 1 end, good contest, Dand best in the first half was Young, Toner, Ellison, Goonan, Riordan, Cahill and Smith, for GEEL their best were Gribble, Rayner, Annandale and Lazzaro

Second Half (DAND 83-83 GEEL)- goal after the siren to salvage a draw for DAND, well done to weightman winning clearance, Cahill taking a strong mark 55m out and then passing to Heath 40m out with a 48m kick for goal, DAND best in the second half were Weightman, Orchard, Goonan, Cahill, Young, Heath and Riordan, as for GEEL their best were Lazzaro, Henry, Clark, Karpala, Harris and S.Ham

1. Hayden Young - Dand - 27 disp, provided run and carry from defence and also some inside 50's late in the game
2. Charlie Lazzaro - Geel - 20 disp, won a few clearances and got Geelong going forw from centre contests (underager)
3. Luca Goonan - Dand - 16 disp 2 gls, strong mid and flanker was involved in some strong pieces of play
4. Cody Weightman - Dand - 18 disp 1 gl, was a lively forw then won a bunch of clearances in the comeback
5. Reece Orchard - Dand - 12 disp 1 gl, played aggressively off of half back then went into the middle with good results, big last half
6. Ned Cahill - Dand - 25 disp, played well in mid and forw, strong mark good run, disposal was a bit patchy
7. Mitch Riordan - Dand - 18 disp, had some impact at times, but got a lot of sloppy disp as well
8. Noah Gribble - Geel - 22 disp 1 gl, strong early on, was a solid display from the (underager)
9. Keidan Rayner - Geel - 18 disp, ran hard and won a few contests another good display from the (underager)
10. Oliver Henry - Geel - 11 disp 5 goals, went forw and plaucked a lot of good marks, kicking 5 goals great effort from the (underager)
11. Charlie Harris - Geel - 18 disp, was involved in some good play, got a bit of disposal on a clear day
12. Chas Karpala - Geel - 18 disp, got involved and did some good plays, average game from him
13. Jack Toner - Dand - 14 disp, had a strong first half
14. Sheldon Ham - Geel - 14 disp 1 gl, stood out in the 2nd half, ran hard and kicked a nice running long goal
15. Jesse Clark - Geel - 27 disp, was on kicking in duty and it was a rough day for him
16. Corey Ellison - Dand - 12 disp 3 gls, provided a tall target and with 3 goals had a good game

best game of the year from Geelong so far, they really put a 4 quarter effort in and nearly came away with the win, although Dandenongs kicking kept them in it and got them a draw (Dand kicked 2 shots out on the full in last quarter and a bunch of gettable shots as behinds)

special mentions: De Konig 16 disp 2 gls

Last edited:
MURR V GWV

First Half (MURR 33-38 GWV)- a good game of footy the MURR best this first half Ash, Wild, Hollands, J.Chalcraft, Chandler, Barzen and Boyer for GWV their best in the first half were Martin, Mahony, Hill, Rantall and Nash

Second Half (MURR 69-62 GWV)- another great game to finish the triple header, best for MURR in the second half were J.Chalcraft, Boyer, Ash, Barzen, Hilary, Wilson, Kelly and Davies, for GWV their best in the second half were Rantall, Martin and Wright

1. Lachlan Ash - Murr - 28 disp, was great again playing off half back and pushing through the mid, skillful, agile, wins 1 v 1's
2. Jay Rantall - GWV - 29 disp 2 gls, tough important player for GWV had a great game all over the ground
3. Mitch Martin - GWV - 22 disp 2 gls, impactful poss, everytime he went near it used it to his teams advantage
4. Jye Chalcraft - Murr - 22 disp, great game from Jye, played tough in the contest and linked up play very well
5. James Boyer - Murr - 24 disp, good game off of half back, hit tough kicks and put his body on the line
6. Cameron Wilson - Murr - 18 disp, energetic forw, missed a few goals, but played well without reward
7. Zane Barzen - Murr - 12 disp 2 gls, adds a bit of class to the Murr forward line, just an x-factor forw
8. Toby Mahony - GWV - 16 disp, had a great first half, playing tough for the rangey kid, fell away in the second half
9. Elijah Hollands - Murr - 15 disp 2 gls, kicked 2 goals, his 2nd being the winner, when he isnt marking a lot of entries he can still have an effect
10. Jed Hill - GWV - 14 disp 2 gls, good first half, ran hard and got 2 gls as a reward, fell away in the second half
11. Jayden Wright - GWV - 15 disp, took a bunch of important marks off half back
12. Cameron Wild - Murr - 18 disp, got a few poss, had a great opening to the game and then fell away

special mentions: Chandler 9 3gls, Durham 19, Hillary 14 2gls, Tillig 16 , Cleaver 16, Dwyer 23, Herbert 20, Ajang 16, Nash 21 Hinkley 15

Last edited:
Best Players of round 3

1. Matt Rowell (Oak)
2. Finn Maginness (Sand)
3. Mitch O'Neill (Tas)

NAB League Team of the week

B: Trent Bianco(Oak), James Schischka(Bend), Will Phillips(Oak)
HB: Hayden Young(Dand), Lachlan Ash(Murr), James Boyer(Murr)

C: Charlie Lazzaro(Geel), Finn Maginness(Sand), Jay Rantall(GWV)
R: Ben Kelly(Murr), Matthew Rowell(Oak), Flynn Lakey(Cald)

HF: Jye Chalcraft(Murr), Sam Flanders(Gipps), Mitch Mellis(East)
F: Mitch Martin(GWV), Charlie Dean(Sand), Jack Mahony(Sand)

INT: Daniel Mott(Cald), Ryan Byrnes(Sand), Angus Hanrahan(Sand)
Noah Anderson(Oak), Conor Downie(East), Harrison Minton-Connell(Cald)

EMER: Caleb Serong(Gipps)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
best Northern Academies + Tassie: Tom Green(GWS), Mitch O'Neill(TAS), Oscar Davis(TAS), Rhan Mansell(TAS), Bruce Reville(BRIS), Harrison Parker(SYD), Crossley(GCS), O'Connell(NT)

Last edited:
Best Players of round 3

1. Matt Rowell (Oak)
2. Finn Maginness (Sand)
3. Mitch O'Neill (Tas)

C: Charlie Lazzaro(Geel), Finn Maginness(Sand), Harrison Minton-Connell(Cald)

HF: Jye Chalcraft(GWV), Sam Flanders(Gipps), Mitch Mellis(East)

Noah Anderson(Oak), Conor Downie(East), Josh Clarke(East)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
best Northern Academies + Tassie: Tom Green(GWS), Mitch O'Neill(TAS), Oscar Davis(TAS), Rhan Mansell(TAS), Bruce Reville(BRIS), Harrison Parker(SYD), Crossley(GCS), O'Connell(NT)
Jay Rantall very, very stiff to not get a gig after a supreme performance on Sunday.

Jay Rantall very, very stiff to not get a gig after a supreme performance on Sunday.

i thought i added him, i have a tick next to his name on my sheet, god dammit

ok well i edited him in

i had him as a priority then ticked him off, well the ones that just missed the side were Josh Clarke(East), Brady Rowels(Bend), Luca Goonan(Dand) and Giorgio Varagiannis(Oak)

after edit ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Players of round 3

1. Matt Rowell (Oak)
2. Finn Maginness (Sand)
3. Mitch O'Neill (Tas)

C: Charlie Lazzaro(Geel), Finn Maginness(Sand), Jay Rantall(GWV)

HF: Jye Chalcraft(Murr), Sam Flanders(Gipps), Mitch Mellis(East)

Noah Anderson(Oak), Conor Downie(East), Harrison Minton-Connell(Cald)

Last edited:
i probably wont cover the next couple of months of NAB League as closely as the games will be missing a fair chunk of players who will be playing School footy

i went over the best players from what i have seen in the NAB League and news from SA and WA and have come up with i think the best 18 players

Elite
the only 2 players who have played at an elite level consistantly this season so far are Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson from Oakleigh, every other highly rated player has shown a weakness or lapse in form, it seems to me these 2 are the only 2 worthy of the elite tag at this stage from my PoV, in pre-season i thought there could be as many as 6 elite propects, but after viewing all the games so far, a few of those prospects have not been as high quality as i would have liked to see, so at this stage i am limiting my elite group to 2 players, which is a big difference to my 11 elite i had last season.

Very Good
so far theres been 16 players who have broken away from the rest in terms of ability, performance and quality so far and they are, in no particular order
Tom Green
Mitch O'Neill
Dylan Williams
Lachlan Ash
Caleb Serong
Sam Flanders
Brodie Kemp
Thomson Dow
Will Gould
Dylan Stephens
Cameron Taheny
Jeremy Sharp
Charlie Dean
Hayden Young
Mitch Martin
Jack Mahony

at this stage they are the top of the draft pool for me, with Finn Maginness, Ryan Byrnes and Trent Bianco close to being in the very good grouping.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

32 touches and 2 goals for Mott aswell another good performer. For me Rowel was the best considering the quality of opposition. Trent Bianco not far behind either.
And all were in the team he named, Rantall was not. I wasn't questioning his top 3 just that I thought Rantall was a bit stiff not to make the team over several others that did.

And all were in the team he named, Rantall was not. I wasn't questioning his top 3 just that I thought Rantall was a bit stiff not to make the team over several others that did.
I’ve just watched that game through the stream, had a few touches and kicked 2 goals but his kicking in general play was pretty ordinary, obviously from the BBall background so plenty of scope still so getting those numbers is still a good start.

Martin is still my preferred player from the Rebels, don’t mind Jorgensen as a player with scope I really liked his athleticism and just little things that might have gone unnoticed.

I’ve just watched that game through the stream, had a few touches and kicked 2 goals but his kicking in general play was pretty ordinary, obviously from the BBall background so plenty of scope still so getting those numbers is still a good start.

Martin is still my preferred player from the Rebels, don’t mind Jorgensen as a player with scope I really liked his athleticism and just little things that might have gone unnoticed.
Martin's lack of any genuine pace is his achilles heel IMO. As you know I like Mitch too and had him as the most likely Rebel from last year to get drafted in 2019 but the lad has said himself he needs to work on his speed and tank. He has most other areas of his skill set covered pretty well IMO.

Martin's lack of any genuine pace is his achilles heel IMO. As you know I like Mitch too and had him as the most likely Rebel from last year to get drafted in 2019 but the lad has said himself he needs to work on his speed and tank. He has most other areas of his skill set covered pretty well IMO.
His speed although not quick is usually good enough for him to rove packs and do some damage, Jack Mahony is in the same mould although he has a better tank than Martin.

Look at a player like Zaharakis who isn’t blessed with the best speed but still manages to get his 20+ touches and hit the scoreboard on occasion that’s the type of player he should look to emulate.

Beau O'Connell is the best prospect from NT since i saw Brandon Parfitt play national champs a few years ago and not far behind him is another good prospect Isaac Seden-Kurnoth, i wish i knew their draft eligibility because in an interview i saw in Aug 2018 the reporter said he was 15, but on a recent AFL Draft Central report they said he was 17? also i have no info on Seden-Kurnoth other than he is probably 16-17?, 2 NT kids to watch out for imo(opinion based on limited viewing, but im confident they are good prospects).

Beau O'Connell is the best prospect from NT since i saw Brandon Parfitt play national champs a few years ago and not far behind him is another good prospect Isaac Seden-Kurnoth, i wish i knew their draft eligibility because in an interview i saw in Aug 2018 the reporter said he was 15, but on a recent AFL Draft Central report they said he was 17? also i have no info on Seden-Kurnoth other than he is probably 16-17?, 2 NT kids to watch out for imo(opinion based on limited viewing, but im confident they are good prospects).
Beau O'Connell- 25/10/2001(173cm)

Seden-Kurnoth-18/2/2002(180cm)

With Cooper Stephens on the sidelines for an extended period and very unlikely to play the U18 Champs where do you see him now sliding to?

he didnt have a great start to the year with his form and then got injured, i had him late first round earlier, but i think his draft range should still be 2nd round somewhere because he is a tall mid with talent.

his underage year which was good and decent form this season should see him drafted around the second round i would think, but depends on clubs needs and which clubs want a tall mid.

he didnt have a great start to the year with his form and then got injured, i had him late first round earlier, but i think his draft range should still be 2nd round somewhere because he is a tall mid with talent.

his underage year which was good and decent form this season should see him drafted around the second round i would think, but depends on clubs needs and which clubs want a tall mid.

Have they brought in someone else to replace him?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Players im surprised didnt get an invite to the Metro V Country Trials on the weekend

Lazzaro (Geel)!!! (how he isnt at the trials i will never know?) one of the best underagers imo
Karpala (Geel)
Fitzgerald (Bend)
Harris (Geel)
Rodi (Bend)
Gribble (Geel)
D.Smith (Dand)
Toner (Dand)

Metro:
Schreiber (Oak)
Minton-Connell (Cald)
Rocci (West)
Clarke (East)
Jenkins (Oak)
Cardillo (Cald)
Manton (West)
Lakey (Cald)

Last edited:

Davo-27 can you private message me (I don’t know how to do it) and I can give you some inside info that may help your draft watch.

Davo-27 can you private message me (I don’t know how to do it) and I can give you some inside info that may help your draft watch.

i tried to pm you but it seems i cant, dont worry about inside info, i just go off of what i see, if i get some wrong thats fine, its just a big trial and error until the season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back