Injury Dawes Out for 6 Weeks With Finger Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with mdc, don't disrupt the backline.

Keeffe/Goldy/MacAffer can fill the void for a while, depending on fitness/matchups. Goldy should be in the side anyway, really. I'd love to see him running down opponents kamikaze style in the forward line!

Keeffe is very deserving, provided playing forward wouldn't hinder his development.

MacAffer is the most natural forward and the strongest overhead mark, but also the least fit.

Could be interesting with Jolly spending more time in the forward line.. ^ That would mean Brown would be rucking a lot more, and Brown isn't really suited for rucking for long periods of time.

Could be interesting with Jolly spending more time in the forward line.. ^ That would mean Brown would be rucking a lot more, and Brown isn't really suited for rucking for long periods of time.

Or it could mean Wood into the ruck and Jolly doing the relief work. Brown as a permanent forward. It's not what i'd do but it's an option I guess.

Just heard Geoff Walsh's comments on SEN about Jolly spending more time up forward now that Dawsey is injured, make of it what you will.

I think Cam Wood to play ruck and Jolls up fwd...when Cam needs a rest eith Leroy or Jolls can take up the role.

Goldy is same height as Chris Dawes but 17 kgs lighter, and Caff is 5 cms shorter than Chris so dont think that is a option.

Darren Jolly is an excellent long kick for goal and a great mark.....

First things firt and that is to get Johnno in for Buckley. Has had a good crack, but his decision making is poor. After seeing Essendons disasterous experiment with 3 ruckmen, not keen in bringing in Wood. Taz, as per the Adeliade game looks dangerous up forward, so there is your replacement for Dawes. Keefe must come in. He was great as a tall back in the NAB Cup and even watching him on Saturday, his foot skills are sublime for a big guy. He could also cover much of the ruck work down back as well. In regards to people worrying about "unproven strautures for finals", well that's why you don't play safe now. I still cringe at the inclusion of Walker as CHF for the 2003 GF. Nothing aginst him, but if ever there was evidence that we didn't have a plan B, Dawes may only be 4 weeks but even if 6, there is no problem reverting back before finals. A good trip to Arizona will get Dawsey cherry ripe for finals. Just remember, Brown and Dawes were not regulars for Collingwood until the second half of last season. Fortune favors the brave. He whoe hesitates is lost.

I think we should bring Keeffe in for Dawes.

Cloke and L.Brown key forwards.

Keeffe starts as 3rd tall forward. Either Keeffe or Brown pinch hit in the ruck and if the Keeffe experiment doesn't work then switch Tarrant and Keeffe like we did when Maxwell started forward against Adelaide.

Keefe should definitely come into the side.

How they use him is of no concern to me I've decided. The club will know best, and if he goes forward to leave our defence settled, thats fine. Mobile 204cm forwards remain a difficult matchup that demand attention.

How they use him is of no concern to me I've decided. The club will know best, and if he goes forward to leave our defence settled, thats fine. Mobile 204cm forwards remain a difficult matchup that demand attention.

This is the same faulty logic that resulted in the Fraser-up-forward disaster that marred the first half of 2010 for us.

It makes no difference if he's 7"5 - if he can't mark overhead, the height becomes a liability.

1. Keefe from what we saw in the NAB Cup has no problems marking overhead. Not like this is Dawes greatest skill either.
2. Fraser was hopeless in the ruck, the very little time he got forward wasn't a disaster last year. His refusal to adapt and accept his role was the biggest disaster, especially given it was the first time he had a role that probably suited him,

1. Keefe from what we saw in the NAB Cup has no problems marking overhead. Not like this is Dawes greatest skill either.
2. Fraser was hopeless in the ruck, the very little time he got forward wasn't a disaster last year. His refusal to adapt and accept his role was the biggest disaster, especially given it was the first time he had a role that probably suited him,

You need to re-watch the first half-dozen+ rounds. Then again, this isn't the first time we've disagreed on something Fraser-related :)

As for the Dawes/Keefe thing, this is true, but Dawes is a freak at ground level, which makes up for his lack of overhead prowess. Keefe doesn't have this luxury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of options for the forward spot. It doesn't have to be a KPP but I see that as being most likely. Personally I see Young and Goldsack comming in for Dawes and Fasolo (Rounds needs another run). They will both get a shot at the forward role. They need to chase hard and keep the pressure on, which is why I dont see Jolly filling the role as KKF for any more time then usual. Here are some of the options.

1. Goldsack (good defensively)
2. Young ?? (plays forward)
3. McCaffer (needs a few more weeks in the 2's for match fitness)
4. Keefe (back/ruck) Brown or less likely Tarrant up forward.
5. Buckley (190cm 90Kg) good size good at kicking long goals
6. Wood (second ruck or sub) Brown forward
7. Maxwell (been tried a bit up forward)
8. Reid forward (Keefe or Goldsack down back)
9. Tarrant forward (see no.8)
10. Big man forward (Wood, Jolly or Keefe)
11. Didak (still injuried)
12. Shaw
13. Davis

That my most likely to least likely list.

Firstly, might be a good thing, MM has indicated Dawes has had some injury issues and this will get him through it with a month to lead in to the finals should be good.

Secondly, our ball use going forward is getting lazy as Cloke is making up for it. Teams are playing groups of defenders in front of Cloke to take his marking away and with Krakour out of touch we are getting rebounded on too much. Playing a more mobile option for Dawes might get us into better habits of hitting up targets going forward. We'll need to against Geelong as they are too organised down back to cover off the long kick.

I find it interesting that people want to experiment with Tarrant up forward but not Reid? Reid is also a forward turned back and has significantly more confidence than his last stint there.

He got forward against Hawthorn and kicked a nice goal, he's a terrific contested mark as proven, I don't see why that couldn't be equally trialed. Plus Keefe probably has the ability to more naturally replace Reid's role as the CHB that can also create off the backline.

My thoughts exactly, surprised is hasn't been throw up more.

Keeffe hurt his ankle on the weekend though, he was hobbling round after the game, it wouldn't surprise me if he missed one or two. That'd throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

We can a) Bring macaffer back an he can share FF area with the anvil or b) wood as ruck and throw jolly up front ;) caff was great last year would like to see him in action finally Again!!!

My thoughts exactly, surprised is hasn't been throw up more.

Keeffe hurt his ankle on the weekend though, he was hobbling round after the game, it wouldn't surprise me if he missed one or two. That'd throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

Yeah agree. I think we could replace Reids role at CHB much more easily than Tarrants. Our defense is very flexible and interchangeable but Tarrant at full back is the one rigid fixture of that defense. Keeffe is similar to Reid in his style of play and role. This would be my second option behind bringing in Macaffer.

What about Kirk Ugle? He could come in, rotate through the forward line/center. He played a great game in the VFL on the weekend, second best in the team with 3 goals. Jolly can do most of the rucking, with him breaking in the forward line and swapping with Brown, so there are always two talls in the forward line. If one needs to go off, then we can just put Reid, Tarrant or even Maxwell (depending on how well we are going) in to forward line. Just another idea.

Hmm call me crazy but we do have the perfect replacement fo dawesome...
He just happens to be last years MVP.

Swanny has all the attibutes to cause sides some major headaches as a deep fwd. I mean yeah we loose him in the middle but we can then bring in another runner(jono) and then simply swap leroy and swanny periodically throughout the match.

It would surely stuff teams around. Most teams will have a negagating mid run with swanny anyway. I he plays deep hes going to kill them. You really cant play a tall on him either because he'll just circle round and bomb it in from 50 odd.

Swanny although not ideal would one hell of spanner in the works for most teams if he played deep. He can take contested marks, reads the play better then most, unbelivable on the deck and hes core strength would allow him to beat just about anyone, one out.

Thats my 2 cents anyway...

Str8 swap for wood, keep the anvil fwd, We'll need a decent ruck combo against the roo's anyway.

Jono would have a question mark over him since he just came back from him hammy injury in the VFL last weekend. Got 26 disposals though which is a good sign, but I'd give him another week in the VFL until giving him a call up. I like your thinking with Swanny though, he could be dangerous. The runner could be McCarthy, he also played quite well in the VFL last week after being dropped with 26 disposals.

Str8 swap for wood, keep the anvil fwd, We'll need a decent ruck combo against the roo's anyway.

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving Woody in the forward line.. He doesn't seem to be confident in kicking the ball and regularly handballs it off to a running player. It doesn't look like he would be prepared to go on a hard lead for the ball or do his bit in the forward defence, he doesn't have the pace, to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back