Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting thoughts here.

Taking a slightly different, but related, tack over the last two years we have performed reasonably well, albeit we didn't go that deeply into the finals.

All comments are IMO.

Our 2012 All Australians
Glass - while not as good as last year he has been more than serviceable year with a distinct lack of a defensive support crew this year.
Cox - sub par performance.
Naitanui - sub par performance due to injury
Waters - sub par performance due to injury

Our 2012 Rebounders Defenders
Water - see above
Hurn - injured for large chunk of the season and without his partner in crime (Waters) for much of the year.
Schofield - sub par year.

Our Feed It Into the Forward Line Players (In addition to the rebounding defenders)
Rosa - injured for much of 2013
Embley - injuries and below form
Schuey - injuries

Problems as I see it - which need addressing. Note these are not in order of importance.
Our three key defenders from this year (MacKenzie, Glass & Brown) don't give enough drive from defence. Think Jakovich, Hunter, et al. Combine this issue with the loss of our rebounding defenders made any attack from defence a little ho hum in 2013.

Our midfield problems are self evident and have been compounded by a sub par year from Kerr, Embley, Rosa, Schuey, and for the first part of the year Gaff. Priddis has delivered to capacity - which was exposed in spades in 2013. Need quicker, large body inside mids + outside mids who can spread and run and carry and deliver.

We lack a small lock down defender who can also run out of defense. At the moment this role seems to be given to Butler. While Butler has done a reasonable job he has been exposed in too many games in 2013, particularly those when upfield pressure has been lacking.

We lack a nippy small forward to crumb off the spoils coming from Darling and Kennedy. Opposition find it too easy to run the ball out of defence and spot up their passes.

Too many of our players lack good foot skills. How often do we see the ball bombed into the forward line, the ball spoiled and rammed back down our throats.

See i think we miss Nicoski more than we think as he played that role awesome and if JK,Lynch,Darling or Lecra didn't you could always expect him to snag some good crumming goals and his pressure was immense. Josh Hill is good with his defensive pressure but has has nothing on how Nicoski played in 2011.

Some interesting thoughts here.

Taking a slightly different, but related, tack over the last two years we have performed reasonably well, albeit we didn't go that deeply into the finals.

All comments are IMO.

Our 2012 All Australians
Glass - while not as good as last year he has been more than serviceable year with a distinct lack of a defensive support crew this year.
Cox - sub par performance.
Naitanui - sub par performance due to injury
Waters - sub par performance due to injury

Our 2012 Rebounders Defenders
Water - see above
Hurn - injured for large chunk of the season and without his partner in crime (Waters) for much of the year.
Schofield - sub par year.

Our Feed It Into the Forward Line Players (In addition to the rebounding defenders)
Rosa - injured for much of 2013
Embley - injuries and below form
Schuey - injuries

Problems as I see it - which need addressing. Note these are not in order of importance.
Our three key defenders from this year (MacKenzie, Glass & Brown) don't give enough drive from defence. Think Jakovich, Hunter, et al. Combine this issue with the loss of our rebounding defenders made any attack from defence a little ho hum in 2013.

Our midfield problems are self evident and have been compounded by a sub par year from Kerr, Embley, Rosa, Schuey, and for the first part of the year Gaff. Priddis has delivered to capacity - which was exposed in spades in 2013. Need quicker, large body inside mids + outside mids who can spread and run and carry and deliver.

We lack a small lock down defender who can also run out of defense. At the moment this role seems to be given to Butler. While Butler has done a reasonable job he has been exposed in too many games in 2013, particularly those when upfield pressure has been lacking.

We lack a nippy small forward to crumb off the spoils coming from Darling and Kennedy. Opposition find it too easy to run the ball out of defence and spot up their passes.

Too many of our players lack good foot skills. How often do we see the ball bombed into the forward line, the ball spoiled and rammed back down our throats.

Hurn is our best rebounder with 49 this year and hes ranked 29th in the league, next best is Waters with 41, hes ranked 61. Both have been injured for big parts of the year.

I believe Masten is next in rebound 50's. This is appalling. There is no drive from defence or creativity. Schofield needs to do more thats part of his role.

Yarran could be a creative type we need.

Nah, Conca is a better prospect IMO
How about this: We swap our first pick ( 6 ) to Carlton for Yarren they then send their first pick to Richmond and Richmond on send Conca to us. We use only one pick to get both players and Carlton get a good upgrade and Richmond get a decent pick WIN WIN WIN

Roos made an interesting observation during Sydney's game on the weekend when he noted that Sydney don't play any small forwards who don't also rotate through the midfield. He went on to suggest that half forwards looking to get drafted might be smart to be worried because its a rend he expects to continue. Meanwhile West Coast continues to play 2 or 3 medium/small forwards each week who rarely do real midfield time (I.e. arent part of the core rotation). Perhaps Woosh could consider this instead of requiring our mids to play so many midfield minutes and causing him to question Kerrs inability to run enough ...

Jude Bolton is still a mid at Sydney but does most of his work starting from the forward line. This enables Sydney to prolong the career of a good footballer with some chronic injury issues ....

Meanwhile we run around with Lecca, Hill, Hams & even Cripps as semi-permanent forwards with no really mid time or mid responsibilities .....

I really think we should look to move on Lecca (cos we'd get value), instead we lock him to a longish deal....

I wouldn't trade Scooter unless a top 5 pick was offered and even then I would need my arm twisted.

Hasn't had a good season but we have seen how damaging he can be. A good preseason is all he needs.

Totally agree. Sometimes we forget just how good a year he had last year and also how adaptable he is. He could easily and probably should go back to that run with/shut down role and be very very good at it as we have seen.

Roos made an interesting observation during Sydney's game on the weekend when he noted that Sydney don't play any small forwards who don't also rotate through the midfield. He went on to suggest that half forwards looking to get drafted might be smart to be worried because its a rend he expects to continue. Meanwhile West Coast continues to play 2 or 3 medium/small forwards each week who rarely do real midfield time (I.e. arent part of the core rotation). Perhaps Woosh could consider this instead of requiring our mids to play so many midfield minutes and causing him to question Kerrs inability to run enough ...

Jude Bolton is still a mid at Sydney but does most of his work starting from the forward line. This enables Sydney to prolong the career of a good footballer with some chronic injury issues ....

Meanwhile we run around with Lecca, Hill, Hams & even Cripps as semi-permanent forwards with no really mid time or mid responsibilities .....

I really think we should look to move on Lecca (cos we'd get value), instead we lock him to a longish deal....

So what your saying is we need Roos as our coach?;)

Agree with your post.

Totally agree. Sometimes we forget just how good a year he had last year and also how adaptable he is. He could easily and probably should go back to that run with/shut down role and be very very good at it as we have seen.

Looking forward to him tagging Ablett this weekend.

How about this: We swap our first pick ( 6 ) to Carlton for Yarren they then send their first pick to Richmond and Richmond on send Conca to us. We use only one pick to get both players and Carlton get a good upgrade and Richmond get a decent pick WIN WIN WIN

Let me get this straight...

West Coast trade pick 7-ish and get Yarran and Conca
Richmond trade Conca and get pick 9-ish
Carlton trade pick 9-ish and Yarran for pick 7-ish.

A two pick upgrade for Carlton. They'd really want to be sure their man won't be available by 9. I presume we're slipping Carlton something else, like some LSD, in this trade.

Looking forward to him tagging Ablett this weekend.

And the thing we also forget is he is only 23. He still has a lot to learn and that run with role with players like Ablett, Pendlebury, Hodge and co will give him even more experience and by the time he is 25 (start of 2015) we should see him playing some really really good football.

I expect Schuey to come on, Wellingham has shown he will be good, Gaff has improved and hopefully we draft and trade well and Scooter realistically won't need to be the play maker which will suit him plus give us the depth we crave.

That is something that i would do. One first round pick for 2 good players that both have the ability to become very, very good players.

I'm pretty sure the swans use mcGlynn who is not rotated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A two pick upgrade for Carlton. They'd really want to be sure their man won't be available by 9. I presume we're slipping Carlton something else, like some LSD, in this trade.

I have carlton with the possibility of finishing 8th. Say they do thats pick 9 and we have pick 6. Swap our second rounders as well and it might gain traction. I doubt it, it would only happen if carlton had their eyes on a set player that they think will be there at 6 but not at 9.

Maby add Smith and or a second round swap. But they don't seem to rate yarran and he will want to come home next year when out of contract.

Take that up with Roos but if my eyes done deceive me McGlynn is part of their mid rotation
Just because the swans flood back so they can play there sling shot footy and there forwards end up in the centre square doesn't mean they are in the midfield rotation . If that is the case does
That mean that tippet and Jessie white are part of the midfield rotation !

Just because the swans flood back so they can play there sling shot footy and there forwards end up in the centre square doesn't mean they are in the midfield rotation . If that is the case does
That mean that tippet and Jessie white are part of the midfield rotation !

Mate if you want to die in a ditch over the role played by Ben McGlynn that's up to you ...

I raised a point made by Paul Roos who I suspect has a better handle on the Swans than you or I ...

Whilst we are speculating, something I wouldn't mind doing is...
Rosa + our first pick to GWS. Pick 10 (midround compo) and pick 20 to us.

Would love to have 3 picks in the first 25, there is a heap of quality there and would be excellent for the club going forward. I don't think 5 to 10 is clear cut, and the quality wont be a huge difference in our first pick either way (i.e. not impossible that we'd pick the same player at pick 7 as we would at 10). Would give GWS another mature player... would love it we could get pick 20 just for rosa but I don't think we could.

would never happen, but just putting it out there.

Yet Hawthorn run around with Rioli, Puopolo and Breust who are all largely forwards who spend minimal time in the middle.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Having said that, would I prefer to see Cripps and Hams replaced with decent mids? Yes, I would.

I think it's more a reflection on where our available list is at rather than a major structural issue. I'd suggest in our best 22, LeCras and Hill would be the only medium forwards and LeCras does move through the middle at times.

Yet Hawthorn run around with Rioli, Puopolo and Breust who are all largely forwards who spend minimal time in the middle.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Having said that, would I prefer to see Cripps and Hams replaced with decent mids? Yes, I would.

I think it's more a reflection on where our available list is at rather than a majopr structural issue. I'd suggest in our best 22, LeCras and Hill would be the only medium forwards and LeCras does move through the middle at times.

Fair point re Hawthorn. They also have Gunston....

I reckon Hill and Lecca play the same spot TBH and our forward line only needs one...

Cripps is a midfielder. That's gotta be his position and I'd argue he should get more time through there the rest of this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back