Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate if you want to die in a ditch over the role played by Ben McGlynn that's up to you ...

I raised a point made by Paul Roos who I suspect has a better handle on the Swans than you or I ...
Don't need to get sand in your vagina over a bit of debate mate

Mate if you want to die in a ditch over the role played by Ben McGlynn that's up to you ...

I raised a point made by Paul Roos who I suspect has a better handle on the Swans than you or I ...
Don't need to get sand in your vagina over a bit of debate mate

So will a lot of other clubs..

And I think it was the best thing for Garlett to spend a year in the WAFL..

Spot on, would have given him a real wake up call that he can't things for granted.

Whilst we are speculating, something I wouldn't mind doing is...
Rosa + our first pick to GWS. Pick 10 (midround compo) and pick 20 to us.

Would give GWS another mature player... would love it we could get pick 20 just for rosa but I don't think we could.

Rosa doesn't really strike me as the leader type that GWS would want, not to mention that a first round downgrade plus Rosa is pretty steep for a high second rounder. Consider the Brock McLean and Andrew Lovett deals in '09, or even Wellingham last year.

So will a lot of other clubs..

And I think it was the best thing for Garlett to spend a year in the WAFL..

I would have rookie'd him and banished him to the WAFL.

He was a top 10 pick on talent, was worth the risk.

Spot on, would have given him a real wake up call that he can't things for granted.

That's great for Garlett, but if that talent ends up on a list other than ours it really doesn't matter. Still, the club really hasn't taken a big risk in a long while, it was a stretch to think they'd have done it at last year's draft.

I would have rookie'd him and banished him to the WAFL.

He was a top 10 pick on talent, was worth the risk.

Maybe so.

Personally I would rather him get his life in order and become a better person after his year in the WAFL even if we don't reap the rewards. He was clearly talented but was taking things for granted given all 16 clubs passed on him in both drafts. Footy clubs need to become more than just a meat market and sometimes a players welfare is the bigger picture.

That's great for Garlett, but if that talent ends up on a list other than ours it really doesn't matter. Still, the club really hasn't taken a big risk in a long while, it was a stretch to think they'd have done it at last year's draft.

Given hindsight, you could argue we took the same punt on Newman.

Rosa doesn't really strike me as the leader type that GWS would want, not to mention that a first round downgrade plus Rosa is pretty steep for a high second rounder. Consider the Brock McLean and Andrew Lovett deals in '09, or even Wellingham last year.
Different drafts, picks are worth different value. Don't make the mistake of comparing one draft to another.

Like I said I don't think the difference between pick 7 and 10 would be hugely different. And I don't think Rosa alone would get their pick 20. But like I said would be happy if did.

Anyway I was just putting it out there, think it would be a good draft to have 3 picks in the top 30.

Maybe so.

Personally I would rather him get his life in order and become a better person after his year in the WAFL even if we don't reap the rewards. He was clearly talented but was taking things for granted given all 16 clubs passed on him in both drafts. Footy clubs need to become more than just a meat market and sometimes a players welfare is the bigger picture.

I would be extremely surprised if the reason that the Eagles didn't draft Garlett was that they were worried about poor Dayle's welfare.

Plus it's not like he was a crack addict, he was brat that took things for granted.

Rookie him and banish him. If he doesn't get his act together, he doesn't play at AFL and gets cut. He gets his act together, we reap the rewards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given hindsight, you could argue we took the same punt on Newman.

There's a little difference in taking Newman at 23 when we were chasing a small forward type, and Garlett being available at the rookie draft. The Newman issue was probably the largest reason we didn't look at Garlett. There's also a lot of other things us keyboard fanatics aren't privy to.

Different drafts, picks are worth different value. Don't make the mistake of comparing one draft to another.
Never the same, there's just a precedent for these sorts of deals to be made. That said, it's rare for West Coast to be on the draft pick receiving side.

Ignoring the Judd trade, when was the last time we traded in a first round pick? I think it was the Downsborough trade. When did we last trade in a second round pick that wasn't part of a second round pick swap?

They still give out compo picks right? Surely we would have gotten a first rounder for him if we lost him to FA?

We also thought we would get much higher for Lynch at the end of last year, they AFL underpaid in their compo across the board.

We also thought we would get much higher for Lynch at the end of last year, they AFL underpaid in their compo across the board.
I wasn't expecting much from Lynch at all.. Surely Lecca would have had more value than the 3rd rounder we got for Lynch leaving.

Never the same, there's just a precedent for these sorts of deals to be made. That said, it's rare for West Coast to be on the draft pick receiving side.

Ignoring the Judd trade, when was the last time we traded in a first round pick? I think it was the Downsborough trade. When did we last trade in a second round pick that wasn't part of a second round pick swap?

We got a first-rounder for Jason Ball that we used on Glass. In the same year we got one for Fewster( :D ) that we used on David Haynes ( :( )

According to this article, we haven't even spoken to Dayle Garlett yet...

It wouldn't surprise me if WC are gun shy after the dramas with Newman, as well as other past happenings. WC have become a shadow of their former selves. Conservative are WC to their own detriment. WC need to be focusing primarily on footballing ability rather than character. Does this rich club not have the resources and the strong program/s in place to meet the needs of troubled yet talented youths? If they don't by this point in time, those responsible should start cleaning out their desk.

It wouldn't surprise me if WC are gun shy after the dramas with Newman, as well as other past happenings. WC have become a shadow of their former selves. Conservative are WC to their own detriment. WC need to be focusing primarily on footballing ability rather than character. Does this rich club not have the resources and the strong program/s in place to meet the needs of troubled yet talented youths? If they don't by this point in time, those responsible should start cleaning out their desk.

Totally agree with you. I'm of the belief that its about winning games and premierships, and if you win enough games there will always be sponsors willing to sponsor you. Unfortunately, it appears the AFL itself has placed the emphasis on appealing to the soccer mums and the pc brigade, and after the "disrepute" fiasco our club went through, we seem very conservative when it comes to "characters" of the game. I know not everyone will agree with me, but i feel the game has lost a lot of characters by it being blanded to appeal to those who may never even have an interest in the game, while losing those who have loved it all thier lives.

People have short memories.. Lecca was a star before doing his knee and he's struggled this year but has been carrying his arm injury.

I'd put him in the Scooter bucket, wouldn't trade unless we got a high first rounder.

No, people just rate 27 year old permanent half forwards perhaps as a bit of a luxury in a side with a limited midfield when said player may assist in improving that midfield. Even moreso when we have another similar type player playing a similar role ....

We have to trade some talent to improve our midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back