Do we have the AFL's worst ruck division?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea about how you guys in this forum bag renouf. He is still a kids and mixes it with the big boys bloody well. He moves around the ground well, contests the middle of the ground (Needs to continue to develop his body work) and is starting to float forward. What the heck do you want from the big bloke. His attack at the footy is first rate. I know in round 1 he did not have the best game but he would be the first to admit it.

The only thing would be to get a routine o-ther than the one he currently uses kicking for goal.

Rubbish - he is an exciting prospect that is all -- as is Lowden, as is Grimley.

Dominant at VFL level last year as a kid. Susie not in this guys hemisphere as a ruckman.

Susie is developing as a ruckman, but his decision making and skills are rubbish. Drops to many marks as well for mine.

Not one to throw on the scrap heap, he has time, but is handy as a second ruck, that he is our number 1 is worrying.

Rubbish - he is an exciting prospect that is all -- as is Lowden, as is Grimley.

Grimley is going to be some sort of player. The kid is coming along in leaps and bounds and, while probably not ending up as a dedicated ruckman, will take time there. Watch this space on Grimley.

Grimley is going to be some sort of player. The kid is coming along in leaps and bounds and, while probably not ending up as a dedicated ruckman, will take time there. Watch this space on Grimley.

Is athletic. Thats about all from what I saw in the NAB Cup.

When do you expect him to break into the VFL seniors?

Is athletic. Thats about all from what I saw in the NAB Cup.

When do you expect him to break into the VFL seniors?

He's not even close. But his development of late has been rapid, especially considering the guy hardly played any junior footy - sorry Pies, sometimes you can't hide players well enough - and he has the athletic gifts. Ask some of the Box Hill lads, maybe.

I will also say, if he makes it, I can't recall us having a player of his ilk in the team.

What frustrates me about Renouf, is that after playing football at the highest level, day in, day out, for the past 6 years, he has absolutely the worst ball drop and set shot technique I have ever seen.

I just can't comprehend how a professional athlete playing at the highest level for half a decade still does not undertake the most important skill in the game, kicking a football.

It really must say something about our skills coaching.

After tonight, losing Renouf at Half time I think that having Roughhead and Hale switching in the ruck is actually not a bad option - it is similar to the Darren Jolly/Leigh Brown combo.

The Renouf / Hale combo just cannot work - two moderately tall and immoble big men on a ground with limited rotations. It just doesn't work.

Admittedly a Hale / Roughhead combo might struggle against someone like Sandilands but who wouldn't?

This would make matchups alot more difficult in the forward line with Rough and Hale constantly switching, and both can be damaging around the ground.

It would importantly also fill up an extra spot in the team for another running player.

Not so bad if we play the one ruck in Hale who's dominated an All Australian ruckman tonight. I like this extra run without the big and we don't carry a player who is not particuarly good at anything (Renouf)!

Nice idea but if he get's injured during a game where does that leave us?

It would't be great but we wouldn't be Robinson Crusoe on that one as quite a few teams are now playing one ruck and a pinch hitter (Roughy) to introduce more run. We certainly looked much better and I think it may be something we try more often depending on match ups of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would't be great but we wouldn't be Robinson Crusoe on that one as quite a few teams are now playing one ruck and a pinch hitter (Roughy) to introduce more run. We certainly looked much better and I think it may be something we try more often depending on match ups of course.
I guess if the other team is only fielding one 'true' ruckman it could potentially work. The problem would be playing sides like West Coast going up against Cox & Natanui.

The other issue is that I'm not sure Hale is really good enough to ruck the majority of the game alone.

Roughead playing as second ruck moves us ahead of a few teams.

I do hope Ram-man is starting to acknowledge how much more than just an 'exciting prospect' Smith is ;)

Roughead playing as second ruck moves us ahead of a few teams.

I do hope Ram-man is starting to acknowledge how much more than just an 'exciting prospect' Smith is ;)

Roughead must be 2nd ruck, in the last quarter he was outstanding, he may not be as big as the others but once the ball hits the deck he is another midfielder. I think he almost single handedly won us that last quarter. He dominated the stoppages. I just hope the coaching staff realise this. We have no need for Hale in the team, get Lisle in to play from the square. Get buddy right up the ground and use his run, no one can go with him. have rough floating in the forward line and change in the ruck

...Jebus they did too :eek: I thought it was close when I was watching :confused:

Hitouts will forever be better than non-hitouts though so I don't get your point.

You summed it up perfectly.

There have been a few around here pointing to Freos lack of success despite having a superstar ruckman, and somehow extrapolating that observation to 'ruckmen don't make any difference'.

Any doubts about the difference a dominant ruck makes would be dispelled by watching Sat nights GC win over Brisbane. It was courtesy of a dominant 3 1/2 quarters from Zac Smith (he destroyed Leuenburger), combined with a nippy on ball department. As soon as Smith ran out of puff in the 4thQ Brisbane started getting first use of the ball and the goals started flowing, haemoraging in fact, it totally changed the complexion of the game. GC looked like they were shot, did well to bounce back and kick the last couple of goals.

The comp would be quaking in their boots if we had a Smith-Renouf/Hale combo as our ruck division. I hope Lowden or Bailey can push for selection soon.

BTW - Good game from Renouf on Friday, if you can't break even in the ruck then hurting them on the scoreboard is even better.

...Jebus they did too :eek: I thought it was close when I was watching :confused:

Hitouts will forever be better than non-hitouts though so I don't get your point.

My point was exactly as I posted.

Imagine how much Richmond would have won by if the ruck contests were reversed . . .

I have no doubt Fremantle are an ordinary side without his ruck dominance and maybe even with it.

One can only imagine.

My point was exactly as I posted.

One can only imagine.

Sure there are other ways to win a game of footy but it is a lot easier if you get the ball first from stoppages and that is easiest to do if you have a ruckman hitting it to the advantage of your mids. No reason we wouldn't want to improve in that area especially when we have been killed out of the centre in both losses and our narrow win over WC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have the AFL's worst ruck division?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back