Review Dogs Comeback Win Against The Pies, You Beauty

Remove this Banner Ad

Next week will be interesting...

Harmes has been playing wing & VDM a small fwd.

But got to bring 2 mids in with Libba & Red.
McNeil will play that small forward role and Gallagher will move back to the wing like he's played at times this year.

Have no idea who will be the sub or who we'll bring in for Darcy if suspended. Ironically, could have been a game that Bianco could have come in for.

Special shout out tonight to Jack Macrae.

Bont, Treloar and Sam Darcy will take the majority of the plaudits and rightly so, but when we were under the pump in the first, Macrae nailed two goals that kept us in it.

Most of his other possessions were good too.

He’s so bloody good and underrated, can’t believe we had him out on the outer.
The thing that separates him is his composure. If only he was a few yards quicker.

Keath plays like a headless chicken that has spent too many hours on a rotisserie. He is fit only to be a dumpster divers dinner.
So yeah, Busslinger should be given a game.
A very bit harsh on Keath.

Yes I think Buss will be better but Keath is way better than the average back up

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have just witnessed one of Bont's best ever games.

There may have been better ones but I can't think which ones they'd be.

I remember a fair slab of the EJ era but I'm starting to think this bloke is every bit as good. Big call, I know.

We are so lucky to have such a man at our club. As Bevo said through the week ... naah I can't remember exactly what Bevo said ... but it was something like he's the most influential person at this footy club.

Thank you Saints for calling "Jack Billings" at pick #3. It changed the course of history.

Did Adz in the immediate post-siren interview say something like "watch this kid for the Brownlow in a couple of years"? I had the sound turned well down so didn't quite catch it all.

Big wrap if true, even if he never does win a Brownlow.
Didn’t watch the post match interviews as I had too shunt the kids off to bed. He is a talent Sanders cost mightn't be too much after all.

Did Adz in the immediate post-siren interview say something like "watch this kid for the Brownlow in a couple of years"? I had the sound turned well down so didn't quite catch it all.

Big wrap if true, even if he never does win a Brownlow.
Yeah, basically said he'll happily take credit for Sanders' future brownlow thanks to his mentorship

Careless, high impact, high contact = 2 weeks. Not sure how it can be assessed as a higher penalty than that, would never be graded intentional.
It's intentional because he braced which is he made a choice. Peter Wright because he turned they graded it as intentional he ended up with 4. Luckily Maynard wasn't concussed but with how it looked and being late I think Sam is in pretty deep. Hope I'm wrong but we have never been particularly blessed when it comes to the tribunal

It's intentional because he braced which is he made a choice. Peter Wright because he turned they graded it as intentional he ended up with 4. Luckily Maynard wasn't concussed but with how it looked and being late I think Sam is in pretty deep. Hope I'm wrong but we have never been particularly blessed when it comes to the tribunal

I’m flying down for the north game. I’ll be extra pissed if he misses 3.

2 enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, thats completely incorrect. Peter Wright was hit with careless conduct, as this will be, but severe impact hence being sent to the tribunal.

Well, I went early and thank God I was wrong.

Sad Save Me GIF by CBeebies HQ

Bont, words can't express. You're a champion.

Sam Darcy. I'm going love watching this kid play and having watched the incident over and over now, it'll be the making of him. He has presence.

Libba and Red back next week, good, Harmes and VDM out. Ahead there, Darcy out will be a challenge, but opportunity there for Lobb and JUH to just make it their own.

No, thats completely incorrect. Peter Wright was hit with careless conduct, as this will be, but severe impact hence being sent to the tribunal.
Guess we will find out tomorrow or Tuesday if it gets referred to the tribunal. Am hoping for the lighter end but am prepared if it is on the higher end

Guess we will find out tomorrow or Tuesday if it gets referred to the tribunal. Am hoping for the lighter end but am prepared if it is on the higher end
I'm extremely, extremely confident that this will be, at most, careless/high impact/high contact (2 weeks). Hopefully less but I doubt it.

And no straight to the tribunal calls - which is a win for us all here. I'd be shocked.

Some other thoughts from tonight:
  • Adam Treloar was sensational. Any other night would have been an automatic 3 votes. Probably in the best form of his whole career. He has said he'll never play at any other club and is no longer analysing everything to the nth degree. He now seems much more at peace within himself (he often used to sound a bit troubled). Being relaxed and enjoying his footy has brought out his best.

• I thought JOD had perhaps his best ever game for us. Some very well judged marks in defence. Not bad after being crook last week. The defence looked brittle at times, particularly in the first half and this was when JOD did his best work.

• I mentioned this last week and I'll say it again. I really dislike pissant supporters laying into first and second year players. Fair enough with blokes who've been around 5 or 6 years but kids playing their first year in the seniors have a massive learning curve ahead of them. Tonight it was Gallagher and Sanders. By the end of the night those pissants had gone a bit quiet but I'm not expecting to read their apologies any time soon.

• Gallagher - he had a massive assignment in just his 12th game against one of the very best in the AFL and it was no shame to have Naicos show him how to dominate CBAs. He'll learn a lot from it. To his credit he didn't drop his head and in fact he got more and more of the ball as the game went on. Every week I read calls of "Gags needs a rest". It's not happening folks. MC clearly rate him highly. He may well play every game this year.

• Sanders also answered his critics and got better as the game went on. It was a good game for restoring his confidence. I think he's back to stay this time. Seems very level-headed from his interviews.

• What did we do in the second half? Many were saying if we could just shut down Naicos and Jaicos we'll win this. It seems to me we did do something. Maybe it was just Bont firing up but it also looked to me like we found a way to quell the Naicos influence. Anyone notice any significant moves there after HT?

• Another thing that happened was the umpires seemed to adjust, or even try to square the ledger. Like players, umpires can have a bad game or a bad half. We were all tearing our hair out about the HTB inconsistency at HT. I wonder if the umpire's coach had a stern word at HT? The FK count was 12-6 the Pies way at that stage and there had been some howling inconsistencies. By game's end it was 21-22 and I don't recall being too outraged after about the 15 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

• I don't actually mind the changed interpretation of HTB because that rule has been so hard to follow for decades. But I'm vehemently against them doing it in the middle of the season. And with almost no warning.

• Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has been copping a bit of stick for "laziness" and "body language". Some of that might be justified but he's still only 22 and maybe a bit off the required fitness. He came back after his time off a little out of touch but is moving into his work (kicking goals) quite nicely now. 2 goals tonight, 3 last week. 18 goals from 10 games for the season. Looks headed for around 40-50 again.

• Sam Darcy - wow. A shame he's going to miss a bit of footy after the Maynard hit. He's another headed for a 40-50 goals season if he doesn't miss too many games. Uses his body so well and has a massive footy IQ. That spoil then follow-up for the sealer was elite. Hard to believe he's still only 20.

Daicos, the N variety, is an attacking weapon and a complete nightmare for the opposition. He has outrageous skill and vision. But if he ever needed a lesson about what it takes to be the best player, then he need look no further than this game. N Daicos 2 tackles, M Bontempelli 9 tackles. Few can match what Daicos can do with the ball, few can match what The Bont can do without it.

There were a lot of dummy spitters in the GDT weren't there?

I remember thinking at QT: I hope we find a way to turn this around and all those snowflakes who said 'I've had enough I'm turning the TV off' miss out on a famous victory. LOL I wonder if they did?

Now when I were a lad we used to stand on the terrace through 12 goal beltings at the Western Oval week after week in the freezing rain and wind. We'd be standing on empty steel beer cans, like, so we could see over the fat bastards in front of us. And we'd just have to be grateful for the small victories. Like some promising kid having his first game and getting a few touches before some Carlton thug laid him out cold.

True! (near enough)

But yer tell the young folk today and they won't believe yer.

Last edited:
There were a lot of dummy spitters in the GDT weren't there?

I remember thinking: I hope we find a way to turn this around and all those snowflakes who said 'I've had enough I'm turning the TV off' miss out on a famous victory. LOL I wonder if they did?

Now when I were a lad we used to stand on the terrace through 12 goal beltings at the Western Oval week after week in the freezing rain and wind. We'd be standing on empty steel beer cans, like, so we could see over the fat bastards in front of us. And we'd just have to be grateful for the small victories. Like some promising kid having his first game and getting a few touches before some Carlton thug laid him out cold.

True! (near enough)

But yer tell the young folk today and they won't believe yer.
A 12 goal beating! Luxury!

Daicos, the N variety, is an attacking weapon and a complete nightmare for the opposition. He has outrageous skill and vision. But if he ever needed a lesson about what it takes to be the best player, then he need look no further than this game. N Daicos 2 tackles, M Bontempelli 9 tackles. Few can match what Daicos can do with the ball, few can match what The Bont can do without it.
It'll never happen but the media should put together a few of the Daicos dives and appeals for charity. And play it several times a week. Like the media never did with Selwood but were very quick to do with Weightman and co.

It's a shame because Nick D is such a fantastically talented and elegant player when he's in full flight. His kicking and vision are sublime. I do enjoy watching him and I wish him well, even to the point of winning a Brownlow (after Bont has won his, of course). He really doesn't need to do that sh*t.

Pies - HoskinElliott, Pendles, DeGoey, Elliott, Mihocek, Coc

Dogs - Richards, Naughton, Libba, JJ, Weightman.

Not counting Baz or McStay.

Depleted pies they reckon?

Paaahlleeaase.
Mihocek, Pendles, WHE, DeGoey, Mitchell, McStay, Elliott, Cox, Reef Mcinnes who has kicked 5 goals in his previous 2 games before his concussion, Joe Richards (been outstanding since debut and best 23 certainty at the moment) and McStay will be back round 19 or 20.

You don't understand footy if you think your losses hurt more. You replaced a 196 cm forward with a 205 cm forward. No change to your structure whatsoever. We had to completely reshuffle our line up to even have one tall (who isn't a forward in Frampton) in our forward line.

Our three first choice tall forwards and best small forward were out. Take your three talls out tonight and replace them with 185 cm players and see how you go.

Nine first choice players missing from any side is ridiculous and it took a brilliant game from your skipper to win it

Great win by the 'lesser players' today who stood out under the brilliant BONTEMPELLI leadership. McNeil, Garcia, Freijah were brilliant, Oh I forgot an important thing. Are we sacking the coach Bevo. In the first quarter, I thought Bevo was a spud, but by the final quarter, I thought he was a genius. GO FIGURE :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs Comeback Win Against The Pies, You Beauty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back