Preview Dogs on Mars: Round 8 Saturday May - 11 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still shouldn't have been sent to a JLT venue at best for an actual AFL game where only a few get a seat. You'd rarely see, if at all, a major sporting league allowing clubs to move games from world club stadiums to some backwater that fans can't be adequately catered for, except in the AFL.
In fairness, it's hardly a "JLT facility at best". The facilities at Mars Stadium for players and media broadcasting are as good as any AFL venue in the country. The ground had all of its critical faciltites upgraded in 2017 to meet AFL requirements. It is the best AFL facility in Victoria outside Melbourne and Geelong and is considered to have the best playing surface in the AFL. It is used weekly by the AFL for its TAC Cup competition and is also used by two local leagues. The ground has a brilliant Social Club facility and the 5000 covered seats built so far offer fantastic views and are modern and comfortable. The ground has a new video scoreboard and the Council do a bang up job getting spectators to and from the ground from the railway station and parking faciltities on the day.

The ground is only in its first stage of development and will get $6 million later this year to address some minor fixes with the first stage that includes new permanent toilets for the standing areas, a new covered entrance at the southern end of the ground, and some improvement to the lighting.

The ground still has a further two stages of development planned over longer term with the proposed second stage likley to boost covered seating to at least 10,000 and a full upgrade of lighting is being considered as well. Funding for the second stage has not yet been committed although the Government did provide the Council with $500,000 last year to complete a full feasibility study for the ground's future development. That study provided a number of recommendations which have been provided back to the State Government.

And in Darwin, Launceston, Alice Springs, Cairns, Canberra at similar sized venues. Mars Stadium is only in its first stage of what wll be a three stage developmnent which will see it transform by 2028 into a 20,000 capacity state of the art boutique Aussie Rules/Cricket and Rugby Union arena serving a city of 130,000 which the ABS are forecasting will double in size by 2040. It's been built to a budget and really is fantastic value for money given that what is there ATM only cost $20 million to build. Particularly when we consider that the Federal Government threw $250 million to build a 25,000 capacity rugby only stadium in Townsville at the last election.

The Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne long advocated for the AFL to construct a boutique Victorian venue to allow the smaller clubs to break even when competing against low crowd drawing teams.

The solution for North Melbourne was Hobart, for Hawthorn it was Launceston, for Melbourne it is the NT and for the Bulldogs it is Ballarat (exactly 60 minutes drive on a freeway from Footscray (so indeed hardly a backwater).

I'd say a large amount of the angst comes the fact that once again the AFL have stuffed Victorian lions members around again by failing to schedule us to play 6 games in Melbourne as per the merger agreement. We play 5 in Melbourne and 1 in Ballarat and on other against the Hawks in Tassie.

Given the doggies host both the suns and Freo at marvel instead of us and the Hawks host the suns at marvel as well you can see where the angst comes from.

So while some have genuine issues with Ballarat most of it is magnified by the AFL essentially giving us the finger once again when really there was no need to. Really the dogs get dudded here as well, had this been at marvel and the suns game at Ballarat they would have been in a much better position financially because with our good form, the number of Victorian fans out at Melbourne games will only increase, therefore the crowd would have been much better had this been played in Melbourne as compared to playing the suns or freo at marvel

Far out people talking up Ballarat as the backside of the Earth, remote, dangerous with sub zero temperatures and icy winds. I'm getting images of people trecking into the ground with snow shoes, balaclavas, fur skins, gloves and possum hats. Fresh Salmon at half time, cooked in seal fat, followed up with a Moose heart and tongue medley.

Gees guys it can't be that bad.
Indeed, one hour from Melbourne, great pubs, a wide aray of restaurants, plenty to see and do, and the venue (while still smallish) is still very modern and is more akin to going to the footy in Melbourne in the 80's. Yes those same old style home grounds that the old puritans pine for. They want footy to return to small grounds where 90% of the spectators stood shoulder to shoulder and there were only a few thousand seats available at best for the club members.

The problem is that nowadays, people have been spoiled at Marvel Stadium. They moan about it and whinge about its expensive prices etc. And when the AFL game is taken back outside and yes "into the Winter elements" they still complain. Having been to three AFL games in Ballarat, the first time was magical. It was a real carnival atmosphere. The second game was a bit more toned down but enjoyable for its old world vibe. You can actually get full strength beer (in cans and not plastic cups) and there is a huge selection of eats and local foods (Seal fat and Moose heart if that's your preference) on offer.

My advice is to wear warm clothes, some gloves and you'll have a great day in city that will be very glad to see you.

I know we play in rain but not in lightning ... do we keep playing in snow or cancel?
Err Snow ... I call 'Play on' ... Sadly it doesn't snow in Ballarat in May. August however is a different proposition:

Mars Stadium in August 2014 before redevelopment:

thPB22EUTZ.jpg

And meanwhile at Bunninyong Oval (several km south east of Ballarat):

r0_0_3992_2242_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Of course this Saturday you are more likely to see this: ;)

r318_0_3182_1611_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Given the doggies host both the suns and Freo at marvel instead of us and the Hawks host the suns at marvel as well you can see where the angst comes from.
Would of been a lot better getting both games locally to Melb. Although with this game their will be a lot of old Fitzroy supporters up that way.
I heard a few times we play Tassie as Fitzroy was mention in the original deal as Tassie wanted not just interstate teams. Seeing we are still the same team merged we always play Tassie.
Not sure the truth to it although we always play Tassie and you think they get a bigger crowd at MarvelHawks vs Lions the Hawks vs Suns.

we Queenslanders think 15 is cold so are very impressed/horrified with the Victorian weather. Happy to hear the Ballarat stories even if they are a little exaggerated in the way some people like horror movies.

It's all relative. Brisbane gets cold in winter it's just the daytime temps that are much lower. Someone from north America where it gets down to -50 would scoff at Ballarat's cold weather.

with these weather comments really glad it’s a 1.45 game. Imagine a night game in the wet would be nightmare stuff.

You'd have to watch out for icebergs.

As some will know I have a glass over flowing perspective on the Lions. However, I am nervous about this week. We don't match up well against the dogs in my opinion. They are a handballing team which can go coast to coast. We struggle against this type of play. They are also good at contested ball. Good challenge to see if we have learnt from the Essendon game.

As some will know I have a glass over flowing perspective on the Lions. However, I am nervous about this week. We don't match up well against the dogs in my opinion. They are a handballing team which can go coast to coast. We struggle against this type of play. They are also good at contested ball. Good challenge to see if we have learnt from the Essendon game.

Sort of like a worse version of Essendon IMO. Will be interesting to see if we've adapted the gameplan at all. Good game to test it out on at least.

If they were good at those 2 things they would have won more games this year. There aren't any teams that matchup well against strong contested teams that can move the ball quickly.

I know it is a hard thing to get right but we can’t over commit to the ball in close.
The Essendon game we just weren’t committed at all.
The Collingwood game we over committed too much by sending all of our blokes in to win the ball and left their men unattended on the outside.
That is the balance that we need to get right in this game, to not over commit.
We did it well for the majority of the game against Sydney especially in the first quarter the swans were always under pressure from our boys because we didn’t over commit and just manned up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd have to watch out for icebergs.

Mental image of the fat old guys from Sydney who wear speedos and swim in winter running around on the field with the players. Bad bad mental image. I need a brain reset - shouldn't have that image stored anywhere.

I think we might make more than just Andrews in this week. The dogs are fast, we may look to bring someone like Bailey in for his speed in the backline. We missed him a fair bit in our 2 losses this year. Maybe if Hodge is going to get rested, Lester out as well. If Hodge plays then I am not sure what other change. Taylor could find it hard to hold his spot with both Keays and Wooler doing well in the 2s.

If they were good at those 2 things they would have won more games this year. There aren't any teams that matchup well against strong contested teams that can move the ball quickly.
For the season Western Bulldogs differentials are plus 17 for contested possessions and plus 92 for handballs.

Best to go hide under a rock for the next 2 and half weeks then. Can't get away from everyone talking about it.
I've been able to manage it so far, I don't do a lot of socializing though and the extent of my social media interaction is Big Footy and a Facebook page that I've posted on 3 times since my kids talked me into getting on it a few years ago.

The garbage about the weather is massively over the top. Half our mob are from country Victoria and the Dogs play under a roof half the time. I actually think that we would have a slight advantage in that we had a game with wet weather and the Dogs played in sanitary conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back