Preview Dogs on Mars: Round 8 Saturday May - 11 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The garbage about the weather is massively over the top. Half our mob are from country Victoria and the Dogs play under a roof half the time. I actually think that we would have a slight advantage in that we had a game with wet weather and the Dogs played in sanitary conditions.

1557202480225.png

No GoT spoilers please, I'm waiting till it has finished and then binge watching it in 1 day:cool::D.
You'll be disappointed, it's been pretty bad...there I said it.

giphy.gif

In: Andrews, Wooller, Keays
Out: Hodge, Rayner, Taylor

Not necessarily a fan of making too many changes to a winning team.

Andrews is a automatic in if fit. This might be he opportune time to rest Hodge and have him in the coaches box.

I’d like to see Wooller and Keays get rewarded. Rayner’s playing poor. He’s largely getting through on talent but I just can’t help to think that a week or two in the reserves would benefit him greatly.

Taylor’s not looking too good. Does some nice link work but he can go back to the reserves for mine.

Gardiner Andrews Lester
Witherden Walker Rich

Cutler Lyons McCluggage

McCarthy Hipwood Wooller
Cameron McStay Keays

Foll: Martin, Neale, Zorko

Int: Berry, Answerth, Robinson, OMac.

Dogs are a quick side. We’re going to have to get on top in the middle and really pressure their defenders. Lots of run in their smaller defenders.

We need someone who can shut down small forwards as we have conceded quite a few this season.

That's supposedly Answerth I thought.

Ballarat Weather. Everyone is getting abit carried away with Ballarat Weather. I have been to Ballarat hundreds of times and it is not as bad as everyone is saying. Yes, it's coming into winter and it does get a cold chill. It's weather is about the same as Geelong. Bendigo's weather is not that much warmer. You do get really nice days in Ballarat. Always make sure you have a coat with you in winter but overall it's not that bad.

Ballarat is exceptionally cold, absolutley bone chilling, Geelong has a noticeably less hostile climate. Having said that, I have found the complaining about Ballarat way OTT, im goimg and can't wait to watch a game in that old school stadium setting, just wear an extra layer.

I don't think anyone's suggesting the conditions at Ballarat suit the Dogs more than us , my suggestion is that we simply prepare for the likely conditions.

Any of the regional games seem to throw up unusual conditions for whatever reason as can be seen from the results in those games.If you were a tipster it's never much better than an even money bet.

To our advantage a lot of our guys would be used to rural conditions in front of small crowds . But maybe not as cold and probably windy.

I'd seriously be thinking of bringing in Keays this week . Unlikely to happen because our philosophy seems to be a reluctance to move players in and out.

Maybe so but if you look at the numbers that some players have kicked against us there is no doubt it is a trend. Rozee, Tippa, De Goey, Papley and more.
If any Bulldogs player does that against us we'll deserve to lose. Bont's their only genuinely dangerous forward and his kicking for goal is almost always awful.
Gowers, Daniel and Wallis l think i playing parts forward.
The closest they have to small forwards are Dickson and Lloyd- both marking players. The rest are just mids getting stuck in the forward line.

If any Bulldogs player does that against us we'll deserve to lose. Bont's their only genuinely dangerous forward and his kicking for goal is almost always awful.

The closest they have to small forwards are Dickson and Lloyd- both marking players. The rest are just mids getting stuck in the forward line.

Agree. Daniel is playing half back flank, Gowers is 187cm. They don't have the kind of quality small that has given us trouble. Which isn't to say that they won't cause problems but I don't see the personnel that Essendon and Collingwood had up forward.

I also wouldn't say they are super quick as a team either - just short.

Hardly a hot take there.

Either way it's definitely a weakness of our team that we need to address looking into the future.
That's supposedly Answerth I thought.
He has played 2 games hasn't he? Surely he cant be our #1 option for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, it's hardly a "JLT facility at best". The facilities at Mars Stadium for players and media broadcasting are as good as any AFL venue in the country. The ground had all of its critical faciltites upgraded in 2017 to meet AFL requirements. It is the best AFL facility in Victoria outside Melbourne and Geelong and is considered to have the best playing surface in the AFL. It is used weekly by the AFL for its TAC Cup competition and is also used by two local leagues. The ground has a brilliant Social Club facility and the 5000 covered seats built so far offer fantastic views and are modern and comfortable. The ground has a new video scoreboard and the Council do a bang up job getting spectators to and from the ground from the railway station and parking faciltities on the day.

The ground is only in its first stage of development and will get $6 million later this year to address some minor fixes with the first stage that includes new permanent toilets for the standing areas, a new covered entrance at the southern end of the ground, and some improvement to the lighting.

The ground still has a further two stages of development planned over longer term with the proposed second stage likley to boost covered seating to at least 10,000 and a full upgrade of lighting is being considered as well. Funding for the second stage has not yet been committed although the Government did provide the Council with $500,000 last year to complete a full feasibility study for the ground's future development. That study provided a number of recommendations which have been provided back to the State Government.
Can i just check if you know can you take your own chairs in with you if you want to just pay the GA price in the standing area?
Cheers.

Our game at Marvel against the Doggies last year was a very disappointing game. We palyed so poorly. Macrae killed us in the first half and Hipwood kicked terribly for goal with several 'out on the full'. It brought home to me that we were a bottom side and had a long way to go.

Bought four tickets for the game and I am taking a dentist (Inda) from East Timor that I work with when I am over there. I will yell out 'ball' in Tetum and 'he hasn't got it' in Portuguese. Hoping for a close exciting win and some decent weather. Inda already is feeling the cold.

Our options are... limited.
  • Gardiner - very good defensively, not a like for like matchup though. Better on marking threats.
  • Rich - ok defensively, having improved, but not quick or agile.
  • Witherden - see Rich, but without the defensive improvement.
  • Bailey - was injured, not good defensively, quick.
  • Answerth - inexperienced but at least has form down there.

Hardly a hot take there.

Either way it's definitely a weakness of our team that we need to address looking into the future.

The way l see it there are relly only 2 defenders in our back six for "smalls"
Gardiner is very good defensively but probably more on marking players.
Answorth is supposedly very good defensively on the quicker, more evasive forwards but 'runs' it out of defense; something that noone in our back six does. Although l havent seen him run it out yet but we know he can from the reserves.

Edit: See Dlanod

Looking forward to see how the best forward in the competition Naughton fares this week.

Gee the media have really stepped it up for him and the Bulldogs.

It'll be equally interesting to see how they cope with the pressure.

Can i just check if you know can you take your own chairs in with you if you want to just pay the GA price in the standing area?
Cheers.

No you can't...best option take a rug...

Cheers.
They let you take chairs in for the JLT game and the AFLW, so I can't see why not.. :thumbsu: Even at capacity (11,000) there's still plenty of room.

They let you take chairs in for the JLT game and the AFLW, so I can't see why not.. :thumbsu: Even at capacity (11,000) there's still plenty of room.

You cannot take your own seating into the ground for this Match e.g camping chairs etc. This has been confirmed with Mars Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back