News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Even in the absence of evidence?
Honestly.
Rugby League were caught red-handed and got 2 weeks...seriously what are you expecting?

If you read across the forums, you can get a general sense of the football community's bemusement at the non-guilty verdict.

There's been a lot of dubious behaviour over the past three years. The disputes have been bitter and very public, and somehow the records of the injections have disappeared into thin air. James Hird on AFL 360 was again saying they had handed them over to ASADA. WADA are saying they don't have it. Who are we to believe in this case? A self-indulgent narcissist or a reputable global authority?

If the evidence has gone missing, that only begs for further investigation, not a simple "oh well, the records have mysteriously disappeared, bad luck, not guilty for everyone" slap the AFL Tribunal gave.

WADA want hearing in switzerland..............

in the week ending sept 4 would be good.

Is there a reason for that?

To get the case out of the pocket universe of Aussie rules-loving Victoria (and the wider sports-loving environment of Australia).

It's about the potential for bias, perception or otherwise.

According to the age it might be so the dank etc can be compelled to give evidence.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ase-heard-in-switzerland-20150519-gh5ath.html

" Other matters such as whether the Court of Arbitration for Sport has court standing to compel witnesses could be another reason for pushing for the matter to be heard in Switzerland. The Victorian Supreme Court has already ruled that the doping hearing did not have the power to compel witness - Shane Charter, Stephen Dank and pharmacist Nima Alavi - to gve sworn evidence. The question arises from the WADA application as to whether there is more power in the Swiss jurisdiction for witnesses to be compelled to testify. "

According to the age it might be so the dank etc can be compelled to give evidence.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ase-heard-in-switzerland-20150519-gh5ath.html

" Other matters such as whether the Court of Arbitration for Sport has court standing to compel witnesses could be another reason for pushing for the matter to be heard in Switzerland. The Victorian Supreme Court has already ruled that the doping hearing did not have the power to compel witness - Shane Charter, Stephen Dank and pharmacist Nima Alavi - to gve sworn evidence. The question arises from the WADA application as to whether there is more power in the Swiss jurisdiction for witnesses to be compelled to testify. "

That's curious ...

... so are they suggesting that Switzerland has greater power to compel Australian citizens to testify than the Australian government does????

Could it be that if they were to have the trial in Australia it would be harder to overturn the original supreme court decision however if in a different jurisdiction they wouldn't recognise our supreme court? Help legal peeps!

richard young to prosecute for WADA.

he only wins.

google him.
I googled Richard young and this guy came up:
Ricky_Ortiz_ECW.jpg

WADA can't lose!

That's curious ...

... so are they suggesting that Switzerland has greater power to compel Australian citizens to testify than the Australian government does????

More that the Swiss courts are more likely to look favourably on CAS being something you can subpoena people to attend, than the Victorian court looked at the AFL tribunal.

Of course, enforcing that decision would then require cooperation from Australia, and Dank et al likely challenge that in court here. But even if they escape it here, could result in difficulties for them in travelling to other countries that have legal arrangements with the Swiss.

That's curious ...

Doesn't seem right does it. What next? Order their extraditions to Switzerland to give evidence? Hmmm. I doubt it. I hope they get them in the box at some point/somehow, but I doubt it will be at the order of a Swiss court.

If you read across the forums, you can get a general sense of the football community's bemusement at the non-guilty verdict.

There's been a lot of dubious behaviour over the past three years. The disputes have been bitter and very public, and somehow the records of the injections have disappeared into thin air. James Hird on AFL 360 was again saying they had handed them over to ASADA. WADA are saying they don't have it. Who are we to believe in this case? A self-indulgent narcissist or a reputable global authority?

If the evidence has gone missing, that only begs for further investigation, not a simple "oh well, the records have mysteriously disappeared, bad luck, not guilty for everyone" slap the AFL Tribunal gave.
I have the distinct impression that the penalties handed out by ASADA to the NRL players is a direct reflection of the potential danger the substances being allegedly used represent.....
For a clear cut "guilty" with admissions they got 2 weeks, no matter how ASADA the media or the public want to beat it up.
We are not talking about heroin and all the substances are legal and commonly used out side of competition.
It's the been an orgy of hyperbole from day one and ASADA have been leading the charge, hand out for increased funding and powers like Oliver Twist.
I have no time for any body spawned from the IOC. Corrupt to the bone.

More that the Swiss courts are more likely to look favourably on CAS being something you can subpoena people to attend, than the Victorian court looked at the AFL tribunal.

Of course, enforcing that decision would then require cooperation from Australia, and Dank et al likely challenge that in court here. But even if they escape it here, could result in difficulties for them in travelling to other countries that have legal arrangements with the Swiss.
Why bother when their only other office is in of all places Sydney?
Smacks of self indulgent bullshit from WADA.

+ New York
True my error, but still valid.
I think they'll (WADA) make the all the noises they want to go to Switzerland, settle for Sydney in preparation to cry "kangaroo Court" when they get their arses handed to them due to the still massive elephant in their "arbitration room"..............no evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be that if they were to have the trial in Australia it would be harder to overturn the original supreme court decision however if in a different jurisdiction they wouldn't recognise our supreme court? Help legal peeps!
Good luck to them forcefully subpoenaing witnesses to give evidence in another country!!!

There are so many hurdles to that happening it's not worth mentioning. It will never happen.

I think they'll (WADA) make the all the noises they want to go to Switzerland, settle for Sydney in preparation to cry "kangaroo Court" when they get their arses handed to them due to the still massive elephant in their "arbitration room"..............no evidence.

Thank you Sam Newman.

:rolleyes:

I have the distinct impression that the penalties handed out by ASADA to the NRL players is a direct reflection of the potential danger the substances being allegedly used represent.....
For a clear cut "guilty" with admissions they got 2 weeks, no matter how ASADA the media or the public want to beat it up.
We are not talking about heroin and all the substances are legal and commonly used out side of competition.
It's the been an orgy of hyperbole from day one and ASADA have been leading the charge, hand out for increased funding and powers like Oliver Twist.
Is it ASADA v WADA thing that confuses you?

Right, in that case we should leave it in the hands of the AFL, they are transparent and straight as an arrow.

For instance, Melb didn't tank but were fined and had draft picks taken from them for not doing something they were accused of. The reality being they couldn't let Melb off, nor admit to tanking as the betting agencies / punters would have sued. God forbid the betting agencies may have also withdrawn from the agreement with the AFL, meaning the AFL execs would miss out on a whole lot of their bonuses that come with the addition of gambling to the bottom line.

I am curious what you suggest the alternative is to the current process, because sports self regulating have been a resounding success - NOT.

Do people really think WADA will achieve a different outcome with same evidence or, more to the point, lack of evidence against any specific player?
ASADA lost an unwinnable case against the players. WADA can have it hear wherever they like it won't change the result in an evidenced base hearing.

Do people really think WADA will achieve a different outcome with same evidence or, more to the point, lack of evidence against any specific player?
ASADA lost an unwinnable case against the players. WADA can have it hear wherever they like it won't change the result in an evidenced base hearing.

What if it is not about the evidence but the weight given to the the evidence by the tribunal. You know…'looks like a duck, walks like a duck, is from Peking, is served at Chinese restaurants, but unfortunately it hasn't got duck written on it so we are not comfortably satisfied its a duck.'

Will be interesting to see what CAS do regards the weight they put on the evidence, when reports suggest Lance Armstrong would have been found not guilty via the stance the AFL tribunal took regards the evidence.

My eyes usually gloss over when this issue comes up but it strikes me as odd that WADA wishes for the CAS hearing to be held in Switzerland when all the parties are in Australia and there is a WADA office in Sydney.

What point is there in hearing the matter half way around the world? Are they aware that there would be extra costs in doing so? For what purpose? WADA should explain the reason for the application fully.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back