Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think people need to appreciate the fact that pick 18 is unlikely to fix our woes.

It guarantees nothing.

Last 5 #18's:

2009 - Luke Tapscott (injured but rated)
2008 - Luke Shuey (very promising)
2007 - Alex Rance (borderline spud)
2006 - Leroy Jetta (borderline spud)
2005 - Max Bailey (injured)

Well I certainly regret my curiosity :eek:. You have to go back to 2000 and Kerr to get a good number 18, the picks between then and 2005 look even worse :eek: than the five Sharks on a Plane has used. Our bloke will break the trend...

Just for fun sake then, and note up front, I was a fan of picking a 10-15 best availabe rated tall over a pick 12 mid...not a fan of Talia specifically, same this year. Macarthy, Darling (means Waite can swing back) or Watson would be great. Leave it to WHs between the 3 if they are all available.

For the argument, only Talia was in range of the 12 pick as franked by Adelaide. PS I know Talia might or might not have been in WHs top 20. We will never know despite some fanboys on here stating it as fact he wasnt rated. No other tall was in a small reach range of 3-5 picks.

I'm not sure why you void Talia playing KKP when we have Bower being drafted as a 3rd tall type but playing KPP CHB. You void Talia as a third tall at the ripe of age of 17/18, and say he cant make it. That is a little naive... same as it would be saying Bower could never play KPP. He can develop same as Bower can. If we were this harsh on players at 17, where would Russell be...delisted after his first 3 seasons. He was an athlete who learned to play HBF.

With the Talia thing, KPP is one thing, but spending quality picks on talls down back is important too. We have Bower, Collingwood have Brown/Reid. Given some of our weaknesses in defence, I just saw the opportunity to add QUALITY to our backs with Talia, not draft a defender with pick 90 and say our backs are set..similar to what WHs did with our rookie picks, talls!

Talia may or may not be able to play KPP CHB, but he hasca better chance than Bower given he is taller and heavier and drafted higher. Only time will tell.

Other will call Talia a spud but I checked and he was doing ok in the SANFL without lighting up the world but then got injured. Adelaide tend not to play talls in their first season if they can help it.

I like Lucas as well.

But the argument is, if their is a pick 18 mid in the mould of Lucas this year and a tall defender rated pick 21 lin the mould of Talia, I know who I want the team to get for structural and overall benefits.

A no brainer to me...needs drafting is on the rise no doubt, and it is impacting ever higher picks.

I take your point that you made earlier about having a KPP on our list with an extra year in the system under their belt, but I guess in the end it will come down to a similar if not about as high draft picks as the Leuenberger-Cotchin, Gibbs-Kreuzer debate.

Will Lucas and whoever we pick (if it is a tall) stack up against Talia and the midfielders available at 18 who we reasonably could have been expected to take. Again that is if we go tall. Did we think that this years draft, even though compromised was shaping up to have a bit more depth in talls?

Just looking at that list again...Gold Coast eight picks in the first 18 players selected...jeepers. It all gets a bit depressing after a while.

A compromised draft following a compromised draft....trading doesn't work anymore - so basically Carlton's chances of winning a flag any time soon are minute.

Such a shame - I would have loved to have seen Juddy win another flag...even if he was playing with Geelong, Hawthorn or anyone else. To be compared with the greats he needs one more flag....oh ok, half glass full time...look at the positives. Maybe we will make 8th position this year. Hooray!

Just looking at that list again...Gold Coast eight picks in the first 18 players selected...jeepers. It all gets a bit depressing after a while.

A compromised draft following a compromised draft....trading doesn't work anymore - so basically Carlton's chances of winning a flag any time soon are minute.

Such a shame - I would have loved to have seen Juddy win another flag...even if he was playing with Geelong, Hawthorn or anyone else. To be compared with the greats he needs one more flag....oh ok, half glass full time...look at the positives. Maybe we will make 8th position this year. Hooray!

You could look at it that way, or ...

You could look at how it is the same for the other fifteen clubs as it is for us and despite the young talent heading their way Gold Coast and GWS aren't going to dominant from the off. Also who knows how many may jump ship back home, not come on as hoped etc etc

If we don't already have the major core of our next flag side then we were in trouble anyway.

Where getting Watson whether we like it or not. He should do fine after he does a pre season with Cordy. Just hope a gun midfielder slides to 34 like Harper, Jacobs, Hallahan or Parker would be fantastic :D

What's the correlation between compromised drafts and us not being able to win a premiership? :confused:

Are you telling me that GCS and GWS are certainties to win a flag? Because I can tell you right now that they most certainly are not.

Where getting Watson whether we like it or not. He should do fine after he does a pre season with Cordy. Just hope a gun midfielder slides to 34 like Harper, Jacobs, Hallahan or Parker would be fantastic :D
I'd be keen to know WHO on BF has seen all these play (not just a quarter or 2) to be able to compare them - and if possible Horlin Smith (yes I know he's from SA)

What's the correlation between compromised drafts and us not being able to win a premiership? :confused:

Are you telling me that GCS and GWS are certainties to win a flag? Because I can tell you right now that they most certainly are not.

We are just getting scraps at the table.

Our task becomes more and more difficult each year - HTF up ...that is what I have to do - let's hope that they pick a gun player at pick 18.

Darling is the player they need to get if available.

A future of Henderson and Darling lining up in the forward line would be great to watch!

Add to that, it allows Waite to go back and make Kruezer a very dangerous forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are just getting scraps at the table.

Our task becomes more and more difficult each year - HTF up ...that is what I have to do - let's hope that they pick a gun player at pick 18.

I see where you are coming from, not sure I agree with it though.

Emma Quayle, who I consider the best journalist when it comes to this stuff, thinks that had the GC not been handed the concessions that they have been, this would have been the strongest draft ever.

That leaves me pretty confident we can get a really good player at 18, and even at 34 and possibly 42. Don't forget that WH is often said to do his best work in the rookie draft, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few of our later picks work quite well for us.

I'd be keen to know WHO on BF has seen all these play (not just a quarter or 2) to be able to compare them - and if possible Horlin Smith (yes I know he's from SA)

Harper is the best athlete of all of them, a power runner, very light on his feet, lovely skills when on song....he projected really well as a bottom ager last year, then had an interrupted pre-season with hip surgery (and maybe something else IIRC), HF/wing would be his go at AFL level....IMO he has the most upside of all of them, but he had a very inconsistent year and I saw some games where he didn't get near it. I'm not convinced he has the mental application week in, week out....but that is an observation from a great distance. Stick Ellard's brain in his noggin and he'd be top 10 material.

Parker and Hallahan are both inside mids...both very strong at the contest (Hallahan slightly more so), both about 183-4cm and very good above their heads for their height. Both are capable of drifting forward and kicking goals. Hallahan also had an injury plagued year and plays a very physical brand of footy this would be the concern over him. Parker is a smart footballer and a great decision maker.

George Horlin-Smith mainly played school footy in SA, 2 or 3 games for Sturt U18's. 186cm, one-paced bigger bodied mid, reminds me of a shorter Mundy in physique and a little in style. Very good kick off either foot, not really an inside player but will put his head over it when it's his turn....better off getting the handball received, then brings teammates into play with his vision, skills and decision making. Seems to have long arms and good reaction time and often gets his hands in the right place defensively...that's on very limited veiwing of his maccas cup game against Norwood.

Hope that helps

I think it would be a difficult decision between those two.
All the talk is Tape to GC before our pick. But i reckon Watson's kicking would give him the nod.

34 and 42 will be interesting if the usual suspects talked about on here are gone.

Cheers.

Even though our selections start much further down than what we are used to, I am still somewhat excited for tonight.

Somehow, I'm glad I can still feel that.

I can't wait. I thought I'd struggle to get excited considering the compromised draft but I've set everything aside to be able to get the full coverage. :eek:

Splendini, TG etc thanks for all your excellent insights in the last few weeks.

I am on the GC looking forward to watching the draft tonight. Was going to head down after work today but decided to be slack and "work from the GC". It is a miserable day weather wise though so not a good day to be at the beach.

The local gossip, which I would take with a grain of salt, is that Caddy may slide because the GC believe they need to use picks on KPP like Lynch, Gorringe, Tape and McCartney and some flashy mids. They seem to think they can get an inside player like Caddy in the next draft or two and they take less time to come on.

As I say take it with a grain of salt, but if Caddy did slip I would jump on him over Watson, Darling etc because I think he will be a star.

I don't subscribe to the theory that we have too many mids - in today's footy you need at least 10 if not 12 in your 22 to rotate through the middle and half back.

Quality wise we have four - Judd, Murphy, Gibbs and Simmo. Add to that who I think will be quality are McLean (if fit), Lucas, Walker and Yarran (I see Yarran and Simmo on the wings long term). That makes 8.

If you add in Ellard, Carrots and Robbo the depth is probably there. But it is by no means guaranteed and unless we turn Walker or Robbo into an inside mid, we lack the quality depth in the inside mid/hardness position. So another mid, if rated above the KPP, would not be a bad call.

Though I agree where we lack depth is in the KPP department. Added to that this draft seems to have good midfield depth.

I think we just have to hope whoever slides to 18 is a gun!

For completeness I rank the possible selections as follows:

1. Caddy
2. Cook (think he will be a star)
3. Tape
4. Watson
5. Darling (I don't think he will adapt well to AFL. If he does, will be the best player in this draft bar Swallow).
6. McCartney

Oh and for completness, how I rate the top 10 in terms of who I think will be the best from this draft:

1. Swallow
2. Caddy
3. Cook
4. Polec
5. Atley
6. Day
7. Tape
8. Gaff
9. Watson
10. Luke Mitchell (a big stretch but I think this guy has great upside)

I don't rate Bennell. People compare him to Daniel Wells, that is exactly the sort of career I think he will have.

Also don't think Tom Lynch will make it.

But I will probably look back on this in 5 years with great embarrassment!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back