Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what Thy? That's exactly what I did but my high tech iPhone technology decided that the use of all capitals was incorrect and changed it back to lower case every time I went to edit it..

Are you aware of the iPhone, has it reached Tasmania yet? :p

Hilarious. For the doubters I recently took possession of this bad boy - it's a touch phone for those luddites still dialing. :rolleyes:

d_104_01.jpg

I think the problem with Darling is that he is more of a body contact forward, which is hard to do in the AFL when you are 190cm standing on defenders at 194cm plus. The days of one on one contests are also retreating.

Fev is a great FF (albeit relatively short) because he is great on a lead.

I hope I am wrong about Darling but my gut says stay away.
So you'd pick Watson if Darling and Watson were available?

Jack Darling thanks.

Carlton needs a gun marking forward every bit as much as we need a big body down back.

I'm just as concerned about the comments that Watson isn't a body defender, but a zone off defender who intercepts kicks by reading the play. Highlights can be deceiving, yet in Darling's highlights, he outbodied the player everyone has pegged for Carlton and put a set shot through from 50. Watson showed poor recovery as Darling nudged him under a ball and snapped a goal from 30.

What will a Riewoldt, Franklin, Waite or Sam Day do one out against Watson?

Henderson and Gumbleton might have too much size and endurance for Watson. Resting rucks and Tippett might be a bigger problem for Watson. Hampson did Hurley on a lead and Hooker with two pack marks this year. If we get Watson, we might have zone back to cover for him and put midfield pressure on the kickers like Collingwood. *cough* Gavin Brown

Darling becoming our Taylor Walker at FF.

The Adelaide forward isn't overly quick and tall, but is a good mark, kick and foil for their number one forward Tippett.

Justin Cordy will whip Darling or Watson into shape, yet Darling looks like he has a body shape that will improve after he enters the AFL system.

I thought of Ben Graham watching Watson's highlights...One of Watson's kicks reached the middle.

For those who wanted to pick up McCarthy over Watson.

Isnt McCarthy more in the Bower mould as a 3rd tall rather than a KPP? I just have my doubts about him growing into a big KPD.

For those who wanted to pick up McCarthy over Watson.

Isnt McCarthy more in the Bower mould as a 3rd tall rather than a KPP? I just have my doubts about him growing into a big KPD.

Plays no more like a 3rd tall than Watson does. Patty is taller than Watson and will fill out.

Watson may impress at U18 level due to his relative size. Lance was a big boy too but struggled to maintain an AFL physique.

Let's just say there are concerns over drafting someone on the basis that we're filling a need with someone more AFL-ready in their first year. McCarthy may be less developed physically today but who'll have the longer career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C4's Draft Wish List

I think that we have come to the stage where we need to add some experience and youth to our line up.

Therefore, I think our intake this year should reflect that.

#18 - Darling/Watson

#33 - Hallahan/Cook

#41 - Mitchell

#67 - Sewell

#70 - Callum Sinclair

I know at first that it looks pretty tall but I think that would be a decent return.

Each player adds to our line up in someway .. and I think it's better perhaps (given the nature of this draft) to go with a more mature and known quantity at the later stages as opposed to banking a pick on a speculative youth (ie. Rosa, Tiller etc).

Sewell can play the Barlow role and also where needed add to the in and under brigade.

Sinclair can exert his presence up forward in a Tippet like role - which if need be, would allow Waite to drop to CHB.

Good luck getting Cook in the 2nd round, C4. :D

Personally, I don't think that it would be a reach grabbing Cook with our first rounder.

Get Mitchell with our second rounder if he gets past Melbourne/West Coast.

Hartigan at 41.

Sewell at 67.

We took Laidler, so they might need a third tall/floating defender to fill the role of Harley or even Milburn. The Cats could have a solid backline with Taylor, Watson and Gillies. It's hard to guess what they have in mind after they traded up to secure pick 15. I half expect Geelong to pull a surprise and take a player with elite pace, skill and x factor in Isaac Smith.

They need that type of player.

Watson may impress at U18 level due to his relative size. Lance was a big boy too but struggled to maintain an AFL physique.

Let's just say there are concerns over drafting someone on the basis that we're filling a need with someone more AFL-ready in their first year. McCarthy may be less developed physically today but who'll have the longer career?

Lance was only 190cm tall and towards the end of his career was not prepared to do the things (off the track) that were necessary to enable him to play and to keep up with the game (which had well and truly passed him by).

These days you need to be an especially gifted athlete/footballer to make a success of a key forward post at 190cm tall - most of the better ones like Reiwoldt, Brown, Franklin etc are at least 194cm+ - and the smaller ones have another string to their bow like being fast on the lead.

The umpires also umpired Whitnall out of the game by not allowing him to use his body to shepherd his opponents out - going as far to put examples of what Whitnall was doing on the Umpire/Rules DVD - so Lance had no chance. :p

Watson on the other hand whilst being something of a manchild in TAC competition is at least 196cm tall and can be trained up (if he wants to be dedicated enough to do it) to handle himself at the AFL level.

Having said all that - I am starting to fancy Lucas Cook at Pick 18 if he is available. ;)

I like the sound of drafting Lucas Cook purely for his name. :eek: :p

Yet I may have talked myself into wanting a 198 cm player such as Mitchell in the square. We saw how Collingwood progressed this year with the bigger bodies of Choke and Dawdles (instead of Anthony) in the KPF spots. They stretched sides when their rucks floated forward and kicked goals.

A KPF should be a higher priority than a KPD at 18.

Waite and Walker playing as mobile marking options beside Henderson and Mitchell/Cook would be a hard match up for any side. Especially with Yarran, Garlett and Betts lurking at their feet. Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson have shown that they can rotate forward and be threats.

I hope we're not getting caught up on one need and chasing the best available KPD at the cost of finding another quality forward. Our list structure would get more from a power KPF at 18 and a KPD at 33. If Henderson falls over like Kreuzer and does his knee, we'll have to reach and play O'hAilpin or Casboult.

Hoping for another tall and KPD selection like Hampson and Austin in 2006.

C4's Draft Wish List

I think that we have come to the stage where we need to add some experience and youth to our line up.

Therefore, I think our intake this year should reflect that.

#18 - Darling/Watson

#33 - Hallahan/Cook

#41 - Mitchell

#67 - Sewell

#70 - Callum Sinclair

I know at first that it looks pretty tall but I think that would be a decent return.

Each player adds to our line up in someway .. and I think it's better perhaps (given the nature of this draft) to go with a more mature and known quantity at the later stages as opposed to banking a pick on a speculative youth (ie. Rosa, Tiller etc).

Sewell can play the Barlow role and also where needed add to the in and under brigade.

Sinclair can exert his presence up forward in a Tippet like role - which if need be, would allow Waite to drop to CHB.

That would constitue a perfect draft for us C4. I like the Sewell selection, I think he could give us something in the midfield and is a beautiful kick.

A KPF should be a higher priority than a KPD at 18.

We know that WH typically doesn't pick for need, so selection 18 will interesting to see which way he and club jumps.

The board will go into meltdown if we select another mid. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back