Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair chance that all the Watson and McCarthy fans will be disappointed come draft day.

Unless the Cats want an outside midfielder with jets for feet, I reckon they traded for pick 15 to get Watson or McCarthy if they're lucky.

If ep is right, reaching for a KPP at 18 might cost us a very good medium this year.

No one wants a tall for the sake of it. People want a tall in the best available range, e.g. +/- 3 picks. No one on here is asking to pick a tall rated 30+ at 18. We are jut hoping because it is the biggest piece missing in our list jigsaw puzzle.

I tend to get sick of people quoting extreme examples...there is only one real world example ...reach 1-3 spots for the player you need (if that players is within your best available range)...no one in their right mind would reach 10/20/30 spots...just plain dumb.

Having said all of that, I agree that both probably wont be there. The attempted exchange of Adelaide's 14 for our 18 as part of the Jacobs deal shows that. If Mitchell is rated 25-35 by Hughes, I dont want us to pick him as that is reaching too far.

The way draft unfolds shouldn't be viewed as our rankings.

Best available early.

Yarran and Lucas ahead of the next KPD picked in Davis and Talia on every day of the week.

No contest.

Even Hurley who is a great KP prospect has his flaws after he was drafted at pick five.

Unlike Fremantle supporters who know Hill is a jet and love him, some of our supporetrs would be beating themselves up if we had passed on Hurley for a midfielder.

I'm not the one who throws up extreme examples and doesn't change their view 12 months later.

Someone else can argue with pafloyul's lexicon of draft voodoo if we pass on a classy midfielder for a fridge of a KPP.

The way draft unfolds shouldn't be viewed as our rankings.

Best available early.

Yarran and Lucas ahead of the next KPD picked in Davis and Talia on every day of the week.

No contest.

I love the Yazz man but Davis looks to be a genuine star CHB of the future. To say it's a 'no contest' is a bit ignorant.

There will be more Phil Daviseseses.
There is only one, Chris Yarran :cool:

So true. Yaz is the type of player who generates excitement as soon as he gets the ball in his hand. It will only be a matter of a year or so before he plays a game that makes the whole football world take notice (it may be because of a special individual effort e.g. kicking 7-8 goals in a game, or a game where he has the ball on a string & sets up a Carlton win with a 25+ disposal game & half a dozen goal assists).

Why is it ignorant to rate Yarran than higher than Davis?

I was referring to reaching for talls, so my comment stands.

Anyone who would advocate reaching for Davis and overlooking Yarran, Ziebell, Hartlett, Rich and Hill is a fool.

Davis is a young gun, but Yarran is something special and one out of the box. We shouldn't shy away from mentioning how good Yarran will be. He has the potential, ability, pace and talents to hurt sides more than Murphy. As a comparison, Camporeale and McKay were still running around in the SANFL at 18 and 22 years of age.

Yarran's a jet, but the grass is greener if they're taller or ready made players.

Grow a pair FFS. :)

If you want ignorance, ask an Adelaide fan boy about where Dangerfield will rank as an AFL player.

No one said it was ignorant to rate Yarran higher, just that it's ignorant to call it clear cut.

Davis looks a gun. We have a hole at CHB. It's not unreasonable to speculate that we may later regret our decision. It's also not unreasonable to speculate that Yarran may turn out to be a genius and we'll never look back. Not everything is black and white.

You don't take disagreement well do you? Your posting style reminds me of Kyle Sandilands for some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So true. Yaz is the type of player who generates excitement as soon as he gets the ball in his hand. It will only be a matter of a year or so before he plays a game that makes the whole football world take notice (it may be because of a special individual effort e.g. kicking 7-8 goals in a game, or a game where he has the ball on a string & sets up a Carlton win with a 25+ disposal game & half a dozen goal assists).

Can really see Yaz following a similar path to that of Travis Varcoe. High draft pick, took a while to develop and feel part of the AFL system, and now he is an integral part of Geelongs best 22.

We saw a few snipets this year of what Yaz can do, and hopefully with another full pre-season under his belt, he can take his game to another level in 2011.

I like the Varcoe comparison, Yarran has better footskills, so it will be interesting to see the development of both players.

Certainly has better foot skills.
The goal from the boundary against Geelong early in the year shows how clean he is with his disposal.

I don't take disagreement?

Tell me why Davis is as talented as Yarran without having a shot.

After seeing the influence Yarran in a replay of the Saints game this week, I was surprised to see that Yazz had just 10 touches. Nearly every touch hurt them and went to the advantage of a teammate.

CFC TV: Rnd 7 Goal Highlights

Yarran's defensive pressure was incredible in that game.

Gilbert couldn't baulk him and get past him on the wing.

After seeing the influence Yarran in a replay of the Saints game this week, I was surprised to see that Yazz had just 10 touches. Nearly every touch hurt them and went to the advantage of a teammate.

If talent is the only qualifier then Yarran streets the field...then again so does Damien Cupido.

Otherwise most reasonable observers would see Davis making a solid and relatively consistent contribution as a KPD, some years ahead of where most would expect him to be in terms of development. It could also be said that to date Yarran's contribution has been sporadic with flashes of brilliance balanced out by long periods of walkabout within matches.

What's talented? No doubt that Yarran is a freak with his footskills and vision. But you could argue that Davis is a freak for what he's achieved as a 20 year old KP. He plays a position where the kids invariably take longer to come on and he's already achieved more than Yarran.

I am not for one second doubting Yarran's ability. He could be amazing and we'll never look back. But what I am saying is that Davis has already proved that you can reach a few spots in the draft for a needs based pick and come out on top....and that is one we might regret if we don't find an answer to the CHB question.

Say we take McCarthy or Watson now and he takes 3 years to develop. Judd will be in his 30s by then. Does that give us our best chance to win a flag? I dunno, particularly with the GC freak show up and going.

I'm not have a pot at the club and I'm not saying we should have taken Davis. All I'm saying is:

TG - How about you just leave it at the fact they're both potentially very good players.

and one of them fills a need for us more than the other.

All this Davis and Yarran talk is completely pointless. At the time we had pick 6 and Yarran was best available.

When Adelaide picked up davis with pick 12 or whateva it was a huge suprise to many as Davis wasnt rated as a top 15 draft pick. Therefore it was a good outcome and a win by Adelaide, but Carlton were never going to select him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back