Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does everyone have to move to the midfield to be a great player. Corey Enright is a fantastic footballer who spent his career on the back flank. I would rather a 10/10 half back then a 8/10 midfielder. Not everyone who is good in defence will be as good in the midfield. If they will be better players in the midfield then defence then fine but I don't get the obsession with moving to the midfield.
I'm just going by what Hine said in an interview about Langdon last year mate.

I think he's going to be a gem regardless of the position he ends up playing tbh.

As previously stated I am stoked with the overall moves made in the draft.

The chief reason being that it indicates a shift in philosophy, IMO, away from some pseudo pressure/ rebound based gameplan to a contested style. When that's coupled with Lappin departing, our former ball movement coach, it points towards changes that many have been screaming for over the past 18 months.

All 5 brought in were ball winners with size and skill which is exactly what the game requires moving forward especially when you consider that none of the draftees is slow on the spread.

FWIW on Scharanberg the knee injury is unfortunately likely to hamper him from being the superstar we all hoped for. History suggests losing a year of development robs players of too much time to reach the uber elite. The only guy amongst that group currently who suffered an injury which stole 12 months from him was Grey... The likes of Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Dangerfield, Fyfe and Buddy have had injuries along the way, but never anything to keep them out of the game for 12 months. I obviously hope to be proven wrong, but he would clearly be bucking the trend to reach that level. Oh and he's a defender for mine ace andy nailed the reasons why.

Interesting you talk up Caff despite two knees in his career so far but arent prepared to back Shaz. I suspect youre just trying to be circumspect, just keeping a lid on it. Which is understandable. But the bottom line is that our future depends on the progress of the next generation and teh likes of top 20 picks Grundy Broomnhead Kennedy Scharenburg Freeman and now De Goey are vital elements in that, just as Reid Brown Beams Sidebottom Thomas and Pendlebury were. Its just how it works. You cant expect anything special out of the four you named, they have reached their plateau.
I wouldnt say I wont back Shaz rather I would just say he will need time and we should not expect too much especially early. As to the older guys successful teams rely on a range of players not only stars . Those guys have been to the big dance as young players and performed. They are now better and more experienced and I just don't discount them as being part of our next successful team. They can improve and have better seasons than they did in 2014. Careers can go up and down.

I just see both the new guys and the expereienced as all in the mix for our next successful stint. Competition is great and whoever wins a place in the 22 will be the better for having faced a fight for their place. Equally I see Shaz, Freeman, De Goey and Moore as vital cogs because we have a bigger expectation on them. Top 10 picks these days are rarely misses and these guys need to work if we are to be successful.

I wouldnt say I wont back Shaz rather I would just say he will need time and we should not expect too much especially early. As to the older guys successful teams rely on a range of players not only stars . Those guys have been to the big dance as young players and performed. They are now better and more experienced and I just don't discount them as being part of our next successful team. They can improve and have better seasons than they did in 2014. Careers can go up and down.

I just see both the new guys and the expereienced as all in the mix for our next successful stint. Competition is great and whoever wins a place in the 22 will be the better for having faced a fight for their place. Equally I see Shaz, Freeman, De Goey and Moore as vital cogs because we have a bigger expectation on them. Top 10 picks these days are rarely misses and these guys need to work if we are to be successful.

Or you could have said, "yes Timmy, you are right again, I'm just being circumspect"

:)

Although i didn't pick any of Hines selections ( Moore excepted ) I am very happy with them all including the rookies (Armstrong excepted where we had contract responsibilities).I was surprised we did not take Reece Mckenzie but as we have Cox shaping hopefully as a key forward and developing big men in Grundy and Witts as well as other tall forward backup, he obviously, was viewed as a man boy with limited potential.We also probably had to keep a senior spot on the list for Frost as our two long term injuries seem likely to come back earlier than expected.Following the law of probabilities some of the new boys may fail to meet Afl standard but I cannot pick Who which tells me once again Hine and his crew have done a pretty good job! Roll on 2015 I look forward to seeing significant improvement.

Yes but how many developing mids do we have with his speed skill and decision making?

Following the ND, PSD, RD I'd say we've got half a dozen or so, most with a lot harder edge to their games. Now we just have to wait and see how they develop.

Without wanting to be difficult The Collingwood recruiting team and the club as a whole is the last place you could go to have that question answered objectively. Collingwood can't answer hypotheticals about Shaz because he is a reality at the club. We, the club , have to back him to the hilt and believe in him. Hine et al can't be seen to be anything other than supporting Shaz so any answer they give, for all sorts of bias's, can't be taken as being an objective assessment

I get that but he was very matter of fact about it.

Personally I'd be happy if we put Scharenberg on ice for the entire 2015 season and allow his knee and feet more time to heal and strengthen.

We have one shot at getting this right and I'd rather take an ultra conservative approach with a player we have a lot invested in.

Personally I'd be happy if we put Scharenberg on ice for the entire 2015 season and allow his knee and feet more time to heal and strengthen.

We have one shot at getting this right and I'd rather take an ultra conservative approach with a player we have a lot invested in.

How about we freeze him in carbonite?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it seems commonly accepted around the forums that Shaz will be a half back flank. I think people need to start getting excited by what he will offer us in the midfield.
Like it Q however after almost 2 & 1/2 years out of the game (by mid/ late 2015) I would start him HB until he regains full confidence, form and fitness.

I can't wait till Sharenberg is well and truely over his injuries.
After playing a few games with the seniors later in the year,
I'll be plonking $100 down on him to win the Rising Star Award in 2016.
He should be around the $20 odds by then.

As previously stated I am stoked with the overall moves made in the draft.

The chief reason being that it indicates a shift in philosophy, IMO, away from some pseudo pressure/ rebound based gameplan to a contested style. When that's coupled with Lappin departing, our former ball movement coach, it points towards changes that many have been screaming for over the past 18 months.

All 5 brought in were ball winners with size and skill which is exactly what the game requires moving forward especially when you consider that none of the draftees is slow on the spread.

FWIW on Scharanberg the knee injury is unfortunately likely to hamper him from being the superstar we all hoped for. History suggests losing a year of development robs players of too much time to reach the uber elite. The only guy amongst that group currently who suffered an injury which stole 12 months from him was Grey... The likes of Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Dangerfield, Fyfe and Buddy have had injuries along the way, but never anything to keep them out of the game for 12 months. I obviously hope to be proven wrong, but he would clearly be bucking the trend to reach that level. Oh and he's a defender for mine ace andy nailed the reasons why.

Absolutely gutted to read that - I respect all your posts SD but deep down I just can't accept this. More gutted for Scharanberg himself though if true.

Can't wait to see him up and about also though so he can prove you wrong

Wrapping him up in cotton wool won't help his rehab at all. If he is ready to take the field, and is given the all clear, he should do so, and he won't be given the all clear too early, you can bank on that.

At the end of draft night I felt kind of numb, don't know why. Perhaps the draft didn't have the "sexy" feel of the '12/'13 drafts.
However, I'm now the most excited I've been in a while about the group of kids we've brought in. Super confident on their chances of making it if they put their heads down and really pumped to watch these guys develop their trade in the 2s next year.

At the end of draft night I felt kind of numb, don't know why. Perhaps the draft didn't have the "sexy" feel of the '12/'13 drafts.
However, I'm now the most excited I've been in a while about the group of kids we've brought in. Super confident on their chances of making it if they put their heads down and really pumped to watch these guys develop their trade in the 2s next year.
Great call

I think that is garbage. The only thing stopping Sharenburg being a superstar is if he never recovers from the injury or he was never going to make it to that level. Do you seriously believe that missing one year (assuming no long term body damage) is so hurtful that a player can never become very good?

Pendelbury was a great player in his early twenties.Do you think that if he lost a year of footy when he first started that he would never have made the same impact? Sharenburg is a smart footballer. He is not an irish import that needs to learn the game from scratch. Im only worried for his body holding up not his lost development.

Agreed. There is noone who screams superstar, but they appear to be a great group of big strong hard at guys with good skills.

I think that is garbage. The only thing stopping Sharenburg being a superstar is if he never recovers from the injury or he was never going to make it to that level. Do you seriously believe that missing one year (assuming no long term body damage) is so hurtful that a player can never become very good?

Pendelbury was a great player in his early twenties.Do you think that if he lost a year of footy when he first started that he would never have made the same impact? Sharenburg is a smart footballer. He is not an irish import that needs to learn the game from scratch. Im only worried for his body holding up not his lost development.

Scharenberg is losing 2 years,

Wrapping him up in cotton wool won't help his rehab at all. If he is ready to take the field, and is given the all clear, he should do so, and he won't be given the all clear too early, you can bank on that.

You have more faith in the Collingwood medical and fitness staff than me given there recent track record.

To me once he's deemed fit give him another 3 months on the sidelines to be safe.

If he does that knee again you can kiss goodbye any hopes he ever becomes the player deemed worth of our pick 6.

Why chance it on such a big investment when he won't be playing any meaningful role on field with us in 2015 anyway?

Nah I'll stick with my point of view.

Your clearly entitled to your opinion, but you should notice that I didn't deal in absolutes for a very specific reason. From there I'd also ask what are you basing your opinion on?

Most evidence indicates that it's rare for a player to reach the top 1% of the competition after suffering a serious 12 month injury in the first 3-5 years of their career. It doesn't mean that Scharanberg can't go on to do great things, but it's the difference between him becoming Guy McKenna/ Corey Enright or Andrew Mackie/ Grant Birchall (and no I don't mean style I mean quality).

On Pendlebury yes. If for instance he sustained a compound fracture to his leg in say 07 history indicates that he wouldn't be the player he is today. He'd still be a good one, but not a 5 time consecutive AA player. Outside of Judd, Ablett and Buddy who are freaks of nature hitting that absolute superstar status is based on continual improvement. These guys realise that they need to work on an area come back 6 months later and add it to their game. Take Heppell as an example (he'll be the next to step into that uber elite group, IMO) he has added elements to his game each year after entering the system. In 2011 he starts as a HB and wins the Rising star, 2012 he moves to a wing, 2013 he starts to run through the middle in an outside role, 2014 he adds an inside element to his game winning AA honours along the way and I bet dollars to donuts that when he comes back in 2015 the aim will be to become Kennedy, Watson and Beams dominant on the inside plus adding scoreboard impact...

Through missing that early period Scharanberg loses that absolute top end scope, IMO, that I saw when he first entered the system. Out of interest run an exercise on the best player at each club and get back to me on how many of them lost 12 months to injury at 21-22 or under?

All told Scharanberg is one of my 3 favourite players, with Broomhead and JT, so prove me wrong and I'm all ears. Unfortunately all you've done above is tell me I'm wrong and then not back it up!!

Last edited:
I dare say Dayne Beams leaving completely changed our draft selections. I'm sure if he had of stayed we may have taken a chance on a Laverde or Cockatoo early but we just played it safe.

If he had have stayed, we wouldn't have had an early pick to take a chance with...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back