Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats how i took it. I would say Pendles is exactly that too.....where as someone like a taylor adams is more a "get ball, kick ball forward" type

That would explain reports of him being extremely highly rated by not only us but others including Wells at Geelong. Pendlebury would also have supreme periphal vision as he is able to negotiate and work both himself and the ball through spaces that others just don't see or judge to be unviable.
If Hine sees this same quality in DeGoey then it would appear we've landed a player who's game sense wasnt a "trait" a highlights reel could have easily captured.

As Baird pointed out in another thread, 3 of our 4 draftees (Moore, De Goey and Goodyear) played in the TAC Cup GF, of which a full replay is available on the Fox website:
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-3020-0-0-0&sID=128230

I was actually watching it today to see what our 3 new players looked like (you can tell I miss footy), here are a few observations from the game:

- Darcy looked GREAT. He barely lost a contest all day, whether in the air or on the ground. Good leading patterns, good read of the ball, good hands. He works really well when the ball hits the ground, tackles well and his speed for a tall is freakish. Once he gets a lead, no defender seems to be able to get close to him. At some point he also chased and took down one of Calder's fastest looking mids coming from way behind. He missed one set shot from 55m and one of his snaps went OOF (both towards the end of the game and the snap was an unrealistic attempt in traffic) but otherwise slotted two clean set shots.

- De Goey played almost exclusively as a forward with very little time on the ball (if that's what happened all year it explains why his average disposals is low). As a forward his leads and marking were good, he slotted three good goals and showed good aggression and physicality when the ball came his way. He has a good upper body strength and is hard to tackle, he seems to be able to get a clean handball out even when tackled, while in reverse making his own tackles stick. His kicking was good, except one kick where he was under no pressure and turned it over attempting to send it inside 50, but it looked like trying too hard rather than an issue with his technique.
I hope we give him the opportunity to play predominantly in the midfield at VFL level so we can judge if he has what it takes to play a full time or rotational midfield role at AFL level.

- I would have liked to see more from Goodyear but to be fair, his team got dominated almost from start to finish. He showed a few good things at times using his pace but there was a lot of waiting around going on when the Calder midfield was under the pump, whereas someone like Ahern in the same team kept pushing all day and got involved to try and reverse the flow of the game. Goodyear's prelim would probably be a better game to watch to see what he is capable of.

- Speaking of Ahern, he looked really really good. Very classy and great ability to find the ball. But even though he is at year zero of his development and of course basing this off one game as well as other people's opinions, I can't see him being in front of the current crop of young ultra talented GWS midfielders. With the level of GWS' midfield depth in a few years, there might be players such as Ahern willing to look elsewhere for a regular role as starting 22 more fitting of their talent.

- Toby McLean (Bulldogs' pick 26) looked good, great skills, great numbers, great goals. Very light bodied though, the Dogs would have to hope it develops well. Daniel McKenzie (Saints' pick 22) and Touk Miller (Suns' pick 29) both looked classy and a level above as well.

Last edited:

Collingwood: Jordan De Goey was a very solid choice at pick five. He is a Josh Caddy type who has great football intelligence. Darcy Moore at pick nine as a father-son selection will be the watermark of their draft. Brayden Maynard will take over Heretier Lumumba’s spot off a half back flank, with his skill and toughness a real tick for Derek Hine. Matthew Goodyear was a bit of a surprise considering how closely linked they were to Calder team mate Damien Cavka, but nonetheless, they got a really solid and balanced midfielder.

Grade: A -

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-afl-draft-gradings/

As Baird pointed out in another thread, 3 of our 4 draftees (Moore, De Goey and Goodyear) played in the TAC Cup GF, of which a full replay is available on the Fox website:
- I would have liked to see more from Goodyear but to be fair, his team got dominated almost from start to finish. He showed a few good things at times using his pace but there was a lot of waiting around going on when the Calder midfield was under the pump, whereas someone like Ahern in the same team kept pushing all day and got involved to try and reverse the flow of the game. Goodyear's prelim would probably be a better game to watch to see what he is capable of.

- Speaking of Ahern, he looked really really good. Very classy and great ability to find the ball. But even though he is at year zero of his development and of course basing this off one game as well as other people's opinions, I can't see him being in front of the current crop of young ultra talented GWS midfielders. With the level of GWS' midfield depth in a few years, there might be players such as Ahern willing to look elsewhere for a regular role as starting 22 more fitting of their talent.
Well, didn't Ahern get picked up by GWS at pick 7, while Goodyear got picked up by us at pick 48, so wouldn't you expect Ahern to show more in the TAC cup GF than Goodyear?

Well, didn't Ahern get picked up by GWS at pick 7, while Goodyear got picked up by us at pick 48, so wouldn't you expect Ahern to show more in the TAC cup GF than Goodyear?

No need to be defensive, he was just making assessments on players he thought were of interest.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-3020-0-0-0&sID=128230

I was actually watching it today to see what our 3 new players looked like (you can tell I miss footy), here are a few observations from the game:

- Darcy looked GREAT. He barely lost a contest all day, whether in the air or on the ground. Good leading patterns, good read of the ball, good hands. He works really well when the ball hits the ground, tackles well and his speed for a tall is freakish. Once he gets a lead, no defender seems to be able to get close to him. At some point he also chased and took down one of Calder's fastest looking mids coming from way behind. He missed one set shot from 55m and one of his snaps went OOF (both towards the end of the game and the snap was an unrealistic attempt in traffic) but otherwise slotted two clean set shots.

- De Goey played almost exclusively as a forward with very little time on the ball (if that's what happened all year it explains why his average disposals is low). As a forward his leads and marking were good, he slotted three good goals and showed good aggression and physicality when the ball came his way. He has a good upper body strength and is hard to tackle, he seems to be able to get a clean handball out even when tackled, while in reverse making his own tackles stick. His kicking was good, except one kick where he was under no pressure and turned it over attempting to send it inside 50, but it looked like trying too hard rather than an issue with his technique.
I hope we give him the opportunity to play predominently in the midfield at VFL level so we can judge if he has what it takes to play a full time or rotational midfield role at AFL level.

- Toby McLean (Bulldogs' pick 26) looked good, great skills, great numbers, great goals. Very light bodied though, the Dogs would have to hope it develops well. Daniel McKenzie (Saints' pick 22) and Touk Miller (Suns' pick 29) both looked classy and a level above as well.

Thanks for the link Vankri. I watched the first half. Really good, pressured contest. Pies fans will love the passage about mid way thru the second when game very much in the balance and Moore gathers on the wing/flank and spears it long inside fifty where De Goey runs on to it while being pressured and keeps his balance beautifully to soccer the goal. Seems a really good synchronicity between the two players when playing forward, they both almost look senior relevant already which is great.

De Goey seems to play more off the contest when in the middle. Seems to back himself to read the tap or get second possession. Maybe he's been instructed to play that way because he has a penetrating kick so you don't necessarily want him bottom of the pack.

A few nice things from Goodyear as well in the first.

Will try to watch the second tomorrow and also keen to hear other people's thoughts if they get around to watching.

No need to be defensive, he was just making assessments on players he thought were of interest.
Actually I watched the TAC cup final last night and was more impressed by Goodyear than Ahern. OK I'm bias because we picked up Goodyear, but I didn't like the obvious fan bias the commentators have for Ahern every time he touches the ball. Ahern you notice because he hangs onto the ball and looks classy but that's run of the mill in AFL footy. Goodyear is just scary fast with the ball and doesn't stop running. He tackles well and kicks the ball long, all the facets you want in AFL footy. Very working class and has good body size. May well play several games next year. DeGoey on the other hand is going to be one hell of a footballer. No wonder we preferred him to Laverde. DeGoey reminds me so much of James Hird in the way he plays - he has presence all over the field. Appears a natural leader to me in everything he does, whether it be kicking goals at vital times, tackling, directing play etc.

Very happy we selected De Goey, kid has a real hunger, hates losing and possesses plenty of smarts, hardness and skill.

Maynard a good hard body, mongrel defender, issues with his tank need to be sorted

Goodyear, pace and a willingness to get in and under and rip the ball out, and not much else that I am aware of, issues with kicking accuracy and decision making.

One of if not the best hand baller in tac from what i have read averaged 80% efficiency , also has excellent ability to break from congestion its the kick at the end of his judd-esque break that is screwing all his good work.

Thanks for the link Vankri. I watched the first half. Really good, pressured contest. Pies fans will love the passage about mid way thru the second when game very much in the balance and Moore gathers on the wing/flank and spears it long inside fifty where De Goey runs on to it while being pressured and keeps his balance beautifully to soccer the goal. Seems a really good synchronicity between the two players when playing forward, they both almost look senior relevant already which is great.

Video:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare say Dayne Beams leaving completely changed our draft selections. I'm sure if he had of stayed we may have taken a chance on a Laverde or Cockatoo early but we just played it safe.

I'm a little meh about the whole thing but trust what the club is doing. This is what happens with weeks of hype on BF prior to the draft, It's difficult to come out feeling like you've smashed it.

I think also the somewhat novelty of Moore has died of and we don't associate him with this draft. When you look at De Goey, Moore and Maynard that's a good result, albeit somewhat safe.

Add Greenwood, Crisp, Freeman, Karnezis, Scharenburg and Varcoe who are all yet to pull on a B&W jumper, it's looking pretty good for the next couple of years.

If Dayne Beams had stayed then Moore would have been our only 1st round pick, we wouldn't then have Greenwood and Crisp either.

If Dayne Beams had stayed then Moore would have been our only 1st round pick, we wouldn't then have Greenwood and Crisp either.

Bucks has said we would of Traded for Greenwood even IF we kept Beams

Lets go u26;

B Williams (21), Frost (22), Langdon (20)
HB Scharenberg (19), Keefe (24), Maynard (18)
C Sidebottom (23), De Goey (18), Freeman (19),
HF Elliott (22), Moore (18), Broomhead (20)
F Witts (22), Reid (25), Kennedy (20)
Foll: Grundy, Pendlebury (26), Adams (21)
Int: Fasolo (22), Seedsman (22), Karnezis (22), Thomas (23)

goes ok doesn't it!

….and yes I know I left out Blair.

Interesting exercise and you could argue the merits of who is in or out but a good squad and got some pretty handy back-up as well in Greenwood (25), Varcoe (26), Macaffer (26), Brown (25), White (26), Blair (24), Armstrong (25), Sinclair (23), Ramsay (20), Marsh (19), Gault (22), Crisp (21), and Goodyear (18).

Bucks has said we would of Traded for Greenwood even IF we kept Beams

Yeah I know Dave but that means you don't have a couple of picks (30 & 45) in the ND.

Some people on this board wanted Lever who hadn't played a game at all.

Yep, would have been very happy with Lever, think he'll be a gun, but can't be disappointed we got DeGoey.

I think we will invest more time into Gault next year with Grundy also spending more time up forward.

Well lets at least see what Gault can deliver when he's had his first actual preseason not wrapped in cotton wool post surgery. I'm hopeful he'll have a ripper 2015 which may mean more senior games.

Yeah I'm very hopeful of that myself but I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe we could pay for him to have a gap year in Europe in 2015...

Yeah I know Dave but that means you don't have a couple of picks (30 & 45) in the ND.

We could of Traded a Player for him but Most likely Pick 30 would of been part of the Trade

This is a little disturbing... De Goey was only 16 at the start of last year. I didn't pick Hine to swing that way and it makes me wonder what other skeletons he has in his closet.
Are you suggesting he has one of these in his closet?????

Surely going off that list KPFs and small xfactor crumbing forwards are going to be high on the draft agenda in 15 and 16 drafts respectively.
Why though?

I've been of the opinion for a few years now that although they get goals & look fantastic for a highlights reel during the season they get stifled during finals & a Jamie Elliott is more the type you want. He has all the tools, some better than others (better mark than crumber so far) & can provide top notch pressure even if he's being limited by the opposing backman.

What do I know though, I'm in the camp that Reid is fragile/prone to injuries but that stats say otherwise, classic case of stats not telling the whole pic.

Reading Dekka's description of DeGoey, he pointed out that he was a "360 degree" player. Would I be right in assuming that's Hine's way of saying he's got ridiculously good peripheral vision or is it something I'm missing?

I thought he meant that DeGoey was an "all round" player?

I thought he meant that DeGoey was an "all round" player?
No. Its his vision because his quote also states that he can also play all over the ground:

Derek Hine says: "He plays 360 degrees, makes really good decisions and plays forward, back and midfield. He can play forward in his own right. His exposure to the elite pathway system has also been light so (there’s) plenty of scope."

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back