List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I strongly believe our decision to put young players in the green vest has really stunted the development of a number of young players.
You serious? ......for 100 years the game had reserves who could only be substituted .......it has never affected player development

Here's some other wonderful theories:
1. The substitute would prolong careers of older players & keep them in the game

2. Substitute would give young players a taste of AFL ......great development opportunity for those who couldn't run a whole 120min AFL game

3. For 100+ years players stayed the entire time on the ground .....rotations introduced and players agast :eek:......"we want to play footy and be on the ground"!!!

4. With reduction of rotations .....Players threaten strike as reducing turnovers puts players at risk of increase injury

FFS do they want to stay on the ground or not .......the hypocrisy of players arguments is bewildering

Good players always come through .......blaming anything the game throws up as game changes is simply putting up excuses .......excuses for failure .....excuses for not working hard enough

Last edited:

I think we now know why Grigg went where he did in the draft. Would love to see him have a dominant preseason and put together a few very good SANFL games to get his confidence up, hasn't really done that since his second year with Norwood. There's still an opening for an inside mid with good footskills if he can prove he can get the ball 25+ times a game.
But where did Griggs sidestep disappear to ......the sidestep and bulk that bought him time :(

For those joining the party late, I have inputted 187 mock drafts and 23 player ratings into a complex computer program and the consensus is as follows;

Fingers Crossed
Aaron Francis (SA) - Rebounding Defender
Wayne Milera (SA) - Small Forward, Outside Mid
Sam Weideman (Vic Metro) - Key Forward
Harry McKay (Vic Country) - Key Forward, Ruck
Clayton Oliver (VC) - Inside/Outside Mid
The good news is that at least one of these lads has to slip through to our first pick. The bad news is that it will probably be McKay or Oliver.

My Predictions?
Harry McKay and Riley Bonner

Tell em their Dreamin
Aaron Francis and Wayne Milera.
Why no love for Mckay and Oliver ........you know there's a damn good reason these two players are rocketing up the draft boards

Very few talls are ready made from draft day ........but iam struggling to understand the dismay at McKay in particular

If either or both are recruited by us on draft night, i'll be ecstatic :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Which players can we expect to play games next year? Hopper, Mills, Kennedy, Parish, Collins, Cole, Francis? Who else?
All i'd expect to get "some" games .......highly doubt Collins and Cole though .....tough role for undersized KPD's ....unless your Lever

Francis you'd say could play 8 games ......have to remember AFL is a HUGE jump for the boys and an AFL season is brutal on the unconditioned bodies of young players

There have always been fringe players and there will always be fringe players, who come in and out of the side depending on injuries to other players. If they were good enough then they would have forced their way into the best 21 and put themselves out of contention for the sub-vest, just like Knight and Matt Crouch did.
Fringe players are given the chance to earn a spot if they can impress, it's so very hard to do that when you get maybe 20 minutes of game time in the forward line. Your team is either getting pumped and you hardly see it or all the air is out of the game and you get some cheap stats that don't really mean much.

Lyons has managed 23 games in the past two seasons, 13 of which he's worn the green. Grigg has played 15 games in the past two season and has been the starting sub 7 times. It's so very hard for anyone to make a case to the coaches that they should be more than a fringe player if they're not given the game time to do so.

At least the next guys in those positions will get a proper shot at doing so, if they don't show much then we can at least move onto the next (although it feels like we've always had guys fall through the cracks, hard to compare it to other teams though without following them as closely).

Sanderson turned out to be a bad senior coach, end of.
Not that Black & White

Sanderson was an apprentice coach ......all new coaches make mistakes, otherwise they'd be experienced
Unfortunately once you lose the players it's over ........but IMO he did not get the necessary support from the club ......who from club management was taking him aside and saying "nah not a good idea" ....Noble?

Definitely Milera over Balic but the club's given no indication of interest in Oliver. In fact, no-one was talking about him at all until he won the Morrish medal. Now he's potentially top 5? We know the club have interviewed Balic on at least a couple of occasions and have shown strong interest.
Mmm .....someone was .....been my signature for 6 weeks

Got in before both Curnow and Oliver became popular ......none of this Johnny come lately stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron McCarthy MK2

Yep ..can certainly see why you said that

Re players holding the ball in one hand .....some to me looks like arrogance/showoff .....yet others like Himmelberg it looks more like self confidence .....each to view differently on that matter

Would certainly welcome any bid there

Why no love for Mckay and Oliver ........you know there's a damn good reason these two players are rocketing up the draft boards

Very few talls are ready made from draft day ........but iam struggling to understand the dismay at McKay in particular

If either or both are recruited by us on draft night, i'll be ecstatic :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Hi Wayne,

My post was a summary of all the other "guesses" in the press and on Bigfooty

My prediction was that we would take McKay with our first pick.

Based on a choice between Weideman and McKay, I think Weideman is a more natural footballer (like Tex) and my choice would be Weideman but I would not be surprised if we picked Mckay. The general expectation is that our preference is to draft Francis and Milera but this is pure speculation. I personally believe that our key needs are players with good skills and pace (e.g. Milera, Francis) and a Key Forward. I believe that our experiment in building a premiership side with 14 inside midfielders is now finish. We are more likely to go the other way and try and develop a team with 14 outside midfielders :rolleyes:.
Oliver could play as an outside midfielder but if we pick him we need to get him into the guts asap.

I also have more faith than many others in Matty Crouch and CEY. I believe in future years teams are likely to have a maximum of 2 pure inside mids but I will not be manning the pitchforks and torches if we draft Oliver.

P.S. If we end up drafting Himmelberg I believe it will blow up in our face.

Francis and Balic didn't do testing .... Francis was burnt out end of season and his last 2 months of form was pretty ordinary and Balic had wrist surgery which was an injury he carried all year

Anyone else ? Milera ran a 3.01 20m sprint not elite but not bad but he came into his own in the repeat sprint where he made the top 10. He was also good in agility testing but not elite. As bicks said the skill testing means nothing as Milera struggled in the skill tests but is one the most skilled players in this draft

Harry McKay struggled in speed / agility tests but when you watch him play one of the first things you notice is his sharp movement and agility so the tests are only an adjunct to what you really see

I will say that I think that repeat sprinting is the key athletic test as this is one of the main game day factors that make you a quick side .... Milera would quicken the side up with his repeat sprinting and fast football brain

Cheers mate.:thumbsu:

Too bad about Francis not testing but it's good to hear that Milera did well in the repeat sprinting as he's currently the player I would like the most for our club.

Fringe players are given the chance to earn a spot if they can impress, it's so very hard to do that when you get maybe 20 minutes of game time in the forward line. Your team is either getting pumped and you hardly see it or all the air is out of the game and you get some cheap stats that don't really mean much.

Lyons has managed 23 games in the past two seasons, 13 of which he's worn the green. Grigg has played 15 games in the past two season and has been the starting sub 7 times. It's so very hard for anyone to make a case to the coaches that they should be more than a fringe player if they're not given the game time to do so.

At least the next guys in those positions will get a proper shot at doing so, if they don't show much then we can at least move onto the next (although it feels like we've always had guys fall through the cracks, hard to compare it to other teams though without following them as closely).
It didn't stop other players finding their way into the best 21, because they were good enough to demand a spot. Lyons & Grigg weren't (Kerridge wasn't even good enough to make the 22). Contrast them with Matt Crouch & Riley Knight - these kids were good enough to be selected in the best 21. Good kids find a way, mediocre kids get stuck in no-man's land.

Substitute players were not something new that the AFL introduced recently. They've actually existed for over 50 years.
  • The first sub rule was introduced in 1930, with the introduction of a 19th man. Once replaced, players were unable to return to the field.
  • In 1946 they introduced a second substitute, the 20th man. Once again, replaced players were unable to return to the field.
  • In 1978 the interchange system was introduced - the first time that players were able to leave the field and return.
  • The sub-rule as we know it now was introduced in 2011.

So, since the game's rules were first codified in 1858...
  • 72 years without any interchange or substitution (1858-1929)
  • 48 years with substitution but no interchange (1930-1977)
  • 33 years with interchange but no substitution (1978-2010)
  • 5 years with interchange and substitution (2011-2015)

The sub rule, much reviled as it is, is more traditional than the interchange.

In any case, it hasn't held players back. Those who were good enough found their way into the side. Those who weren't either got stuck on the fringes or ended up back in the state leagues. Either way, they weren't a great loss to the game because they simply lacked the talent.

Hi Wayne,

My post was a summary of all the other "guesses" in the press and on Bigfooty

My prediction was that we would take McKay with our first pick.

Based on a choice between Weideman and McKay, I think Weideman is a more natural footballer (like Tex) and my choice would be Weideman but I would not be surprised if we picked Mckay. The general expectation is that our preference is to draft Francis and Milera but this is pure speculation. I personally believe that our key needs are players with good skills and pace (e.g. Milera, Francis) and a Key Forward. I believe that our experiment in building a premiership side with 14 inside midfielders is now finish. We are more likely to go the other way and try and develop a team with 14 outside midfielders :rolleyes:.
Oliver could play as an outside midfielder but if we pick him we need to get him into the guts asap.

I also have more faith than many others in Matty Crouch and CEY. I believe in future years teams are likely to have a maximum of 2 pure inside mids but I will not be manning the pitchforks and torches if we draft Oliver.

P.S. If we end up drafting Himmelberg I believe it will blow up in our face.
Great Post ....
I am a lover of Mark Weideman from his Westies days .....great trier ...great hands and gutsy as they come .....but slow off the mark with poor endurance ...one trick pony
Getting the feeling Sam is a chip off the old block ......he could be fantastic, but also could bust
Read about Weideman ....didn't play much of 2015 and kicked only 19 goals from 15 games in 2014 ....not a fantastic form background & seems he'll be picked on potential rather than performances & that is dangerous speculation

Iam with you .....this constant discussion of need for speed IS NOT our need now ....that's been addressed & we have to be careful of not having too many outside "handbaggers"

We're about to lose our two best inside mids & whilst i agree Crouch's will stand up ......IMO we have to get another quality inside mid .....injuries do happen in season

There seems to be increasing murmurings about us and tall KPF's ???

It seems Melbourne and Essendon with multiple low picks look like taking a mid and tall .....no reason to suggest we won't follow suit

Will be happy with any of Milera :hearts:, Francis :hearts:, Oliver :hearts:, Curnow :hearts:

Seems to be increasing talk about Burton rising again up the draft board which may indicate a positive review of his broken leg .....guess we'll find out Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back