Strategy Eagles Strategic Changes in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Crumbers at the drop of the ball please. And this is not restricted to the inside 50. Coming out of defence our dropped marks on the wing and hff always seem to be gathered by the opposition and run back into our defence. Turn those contests into even a ball up and it puts us in a better position, but having some speed coming past the marking contest looking for a handball.. Sploosh

Great analysis, I've managed to find a picture of our project rusk:
stock-photo-one-crispy-rusk-on-white-545637439.jpg

Hope he comes on as expected.
Is it bredon?

Good read..

I think we should refer back to 2015 the Eagles Web. We had the right Idea back then in my opinion. I know that other teams have worked out the web and can make changes to help battle the web but I feel we have a brilliant backline (strongest in the league) so why not use that? I am no coach but if we limit goals scored against us would give us the advantage or the upper hand, therefore should work on our defensive/rebound game.

Good read..

I think we should refer back to 2015 the Eagles Web. We had the right Idea back then in my opinion. I know that other teams have worked out the web and can make changes to help battle the web but I feel we have a brilliant backline (strongest in the league) so why not use that? I am no coach but if we limit goals scored against us would give us the advantage or the upper hand, therefore should work on our defensive/rebound game.
Good points but how about we reduce the number of times we need to start our attack from the HB line. NicNat and Lycett winning more hit outs and a Mitchell inspired midfield clearance plan may just be what we need.

For me it all comes down to intent, with structures being somewhat secondary. We need to forget corralling and tackle with intensity, be willing to block for others and apply manic pressure. I think that has been the most successful recipe in football ever since I have been watching and playing the game. Of course skill plays a major part, as do structures, but football isn't as complicated as it is sometimes made out. Applying manic pressure can take pretty ordinary teams skill wise or experience wise, quite far.

Having recruited four forwards this draft period I see Simmo has a masterplan that involves our defence defending for 60-70% of the game and our forward line converting 90+% of all forward entries. What can go wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good points but how about we reduce the number of times we need to start our attack from the HB line. NicNat and Lycett winning more hit outs and a Mitchell inspired midfield clearance plan may just be what we need.

I think part of our strategy in 2017 involved targeting an attack from the half back line - and I can understand why that would be the case.

Remember 4-5 years ago, we used to cringe at how often we'd win the time of possession, but just continually bomb it high into the forward 50. I think we went too far the other way and almost allowed the opposition to maintain position while we corralled the ball until it reached the opposition 50 so that we could generate a slingshot style attack into an open forward 50. One of our strengths was clearly our defensive intercept marking. The weakness of the web was when the opposition gained quick entry to their forward 50. So I suspect our gameplan was based around slowing the opposition movement through the midfield and allowing nothing over the back. Then picking off the final long kick into a congested defensive 50. Our defence held up great at doing this. It genuinely played to their strength.

The problem is that you can't go too far the other way - and I think we did just that. I think our focus on corralling and avoiding overcommitting to the ballcarrier made us too passive in our approach and we got killed in the contested possessions. You can't just flick a switch between an aggressive "see ball - get ball" approach and a controlled "don't give up a big play" mentality. The approaches are essentially mutually exclusive and there is a trade-off to each. I think we gave up too much easy possession through the midfield so that we would avoid anything clean over the back.

I'd be really interested in being able to actually was game tape showing the whole oval and see how many numbers we had behind the ball rather than getting numbers attacking the contest and compare that to league averages. With a slower midfield and elite tall defenders, that game plan does make sense.

With a bit more speed in the midfield, perhaps we can take a few more risks and tighten up the zone around the ball and just outside our attacking 50. With a bit more X-factor amongst the small forwards, we may be more inclined to tighten the zone just outside our attacking 50 and force turnovers for repeat 50 entries even if they're entries into a congested forward line. With Naitanui returning, I hope we add just a little natural contested ability to our game to just rip the ball away from the opposition.

So I don't have any particular insights into how we may adjust our game plan. But I'm hopeful that the gameplan last year was not too far off the market and with a few tweaks (to personnel and to the gameplan) we're right in the mix.

Last edited:
Please provide debate on my comments, no satire.
Hi - got you a new Avatar - not the right spelling but that will be over the heads of half the posters. Anyway, glad to see you chose Mark as your sponsor yet you had a chance of going for Josh Rotham who would at least be an unknown talent that we still had hope in.
upload_2017-12-4_16-33-12.png
Go for it "Corral King"

Hutchings starting centre means that we have a massive injury problem in the middle. In that case, I rather see some kids get a go.

Hi - got you a new Avatar - not the right spelling but that will be over the heads of half the posters. Anyway, glad to see you chose Mark as your sponsor yet you had a chance of going for Josh Rotham who would at least be an unknown talent that we still had hope in.
View attachment 442371
Go for it "Corral King"
Hutchings will be a big part of our success next season. Will be our best mid with Shuey.

Hutch > Yeo as a mid

For me it all comes down to intent, with structures being somewhat secondary. We need to forget corralling and tackle with intensity, be willing to block for others and apply manic pressure. I think that has been the most successful recipe in football ever since I have been watching and playing the game. Of course skill plays a major part, as do structures, but football isn't as complicated as it is sometimes made out. Applying manic pressure can take pretty ordinary teams skill wise or experience wise, quite far.
Good read..

The web is based on coralling rather than tackling

We all seem sick of it.

The web is based on coralling rather than tackling

We all seem sick of it.

To a degree, I think you're right (about the web being based on corralling rather than tackling).

Another way to look at it is in NFL terms- blitzing versus prevent defence. I used to play Madden on easy mode and just blitz everyone all the time to get record sack numbers because that was much more entertaining... but it doesn't work like that in real life. If you blitz too hard, too predictably, your secondary gets burned deep or with little screen passes after the defence has overcommitted.

But if you just play prevent defence all game long, you get killed in the run game and little underneath passes. The defence never gets off the field and is fatigued by the 4th quarter. Anyone seeing a coincidence with our style of play here?

But clearly there's a whole spectrum in between those two extremes and mixing it up is key.

Now, the analogy falls down to a degree as Aussie Rules is so much more fluid than NFL and you don't line up in a deliberate play and a deliberate formation for each passage of play - so much more read and react involved around general structures in real footy. It's harder to vary each play as specifically as in NFL, but you probably get the point.

I think we've improved our 'pass rush' with our list changes this summer, so hopefully we're more equipped to play a bit more aggressive and get our defence off the field a bit more in 2018. But our strength is still our secondary, so I don't expect a major change in game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back