Prediction Round 16, 2024: Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, hope I’m welcome to post and come here peacefully as always

The side for Hawthorn is super easy to pick, I think one change happens with Gunston out for Mitch Lewis who finally returns, making it the best side Hawthorn have put out.

Hardwick - Frost - Scrimshaw
Sicily - Weddle - Amon
Jiath - Day - D’Ambrosio
Moore - Lewis - MacDonald
Ginnivan - Chol - Watson
Meek - Newcombe - Worpel
Dear - Mackenzie - Nash - Impey - Breust (sub)

Its probably too early with West Coast besides Reid to tip who comes in or out.

Some key match ups I’d presume:
Newcombe and Reid, two bulls and similar types.

Nash and Yeo, Nash has played as a defensive mid, crash and bash and a 2nd ruck around the ground, he will spend time on Yeo and is one of the most important parts of West Coasts game.

Frost on Allen, I presume this is the case, but as you know zone football is key so there’ll be a few rotating with Waterman and maybe Williams/Maric.

Having more of a go defensively.

Weddle on Waterman, he has apparently asked a fair amount to go onto the best players and get a challenge and Waterman is one of the form key forwards.

Scrimshaw on Williams/Maric

Hardwick
on Ryan

Sicily
will roam and likely finds an opponent when needed, might cop a tag.

Will Day might get tagged but otherwise will end up head to head with Kelly if he plays.

Barrass goes straight to Lewis if he plays.

McGovern on Chol I presume if Lewis doesn’t play Gunston will go to one of them but as I predict (Gunston out) it’ll be this.

Dear then gets a third tall like Rotham which will be massive for him.

Ginnivan, Moore, Watson will be a handful but my guess is Duggan to Moore, Hough to Watson and Witherden to Ginnivan.

Outside of this, it’ll chop and change. But in general it likely will nonetheless.
Any chance of Finn Maginness coming in as a tagger?

What the f*ck is R?

Retres gained?
Cartoon Smile GIF by Scooby-Doo

Too many aged players and plodders last week.

Kelly and Reid in (Both A graders so any OUT is going to be a win).

OUT No 1..

Either

Flynn (3 games to date have been meh) needs to go back to WAFL and dominate after being a rushed inclusion. Tap numbers ok but has zero clearance follow up presence.

Or B Williams (a liability as the 2nd ruck, no fwd leading patterns, no pack marking presence, provides no F50 defensive pressure),

We simply cannot carry both in the team.

OUT No 2..

Darling (9 of 14 games have been below average or worse). Provides no F50 pressure. Reid/Kelly back means we need to find rotation spots. We should not be dropping Ryan or Brockman from the mid mix so they stay in. The back line is reasonably settled albeit rather experienced. Darling is with Gaff as first two old blokes gone at seasons end. Nothing to gain from playing him every week from here on out.

Experiments: Who second rucks? Hmm, something about Maric makes me think he'd be handy in centre square jumps. Around the ground, go with the old fashioned biggest body available. Barrass in backline, Allen in forward line.

Outs - Hutch, Darling, BWill, Rotham
Ins - Reid, JWill, Kelly, Culley
Sub - Jones

Jwill for BWill - if MC is trying things, why not this for a bit, surely couldnt be worse than last week?
Culley for Darling for more flexibility, and Culley could play a 3rd Tall pretty well i think and pinch in the middle.
Reid in for Rotham, and i think Ginbey to HB could be good for him and his development. Could easily play 3rd tall well and much better than Roth or HEd.
Kelly if fit for Hutch otherwise Hutch gets full game.
Jones to Sub.

If Kelly and Sheed are available along with Reid, that will be 42 players to choose from!!! Kelly and Reid come straight back in for Hutchinson and then its anyone guess. Unless there is a mystery injury or they rest a senior player, it could be anyone of 6 players come out.

Look out Swannies!

Them black ducks (swans) are going to be smoked.

The side for Hawthorn is super easy to pick, I think one change happens with Gunston out for Mitch Lewis who finally returns, making it the best side Hawthorn have put out.

Sicily - Weddle - Amon
Jiath - Day - D’Ambrosio
Ginnivan - Chol - Watson
Meek - Newcombe - Worpel

Nash and Yeo, Nash has played as a defensive mid, crash and bash and a 2nd ruck around the ground, he will spend time on Yeo and is one of the most important parts of West Coasts game.

Frost on Allen, I presume this is the case, but as you know zone football is key so there’ll be a few rotating with Waterman and maybe Williams/Maric.

Weddle on Waterman, he has apparently asked a fair amount to go onto the best players and get a challenge and Waterman is one of the form key forwards.

Hardwick
on Ryan

Sicily

Will Day might get tagged but otherwise will end up head to head with Kelly if he plays.

McGovern on Chol I presume if Lewis doesn’t play Gunston will go to one of them but as I predict (Gunston out) it’ll be this.

Ginnivan, Moore, Watson will be a handful but my guess is Duggan to Moore, Hough to Watson and Witherden to Ginnivan.

Outside of this, it’ll chop and change. But in general it likely will nonetheless.

Nice summary apart from:

"Some key match ups I’d presume:
Newcombe and Reid, two bulls and similar types."

I call bull twang in this contest with...

Reid:

1719209758393.png

Newcombe:

1719210136496.png

Take two

Out: Billiams, Hutchinson
In: Kelly, Reid

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Rotham, Hough, Duggan, Witherden, Cole
Mids: Kelly, Reid, Yeo, Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt
Rucks: Flynn, Darling
Forwards: Allen, Waterman, Maric, Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, Petruccelle
Sub: Jones
Emergencies: Gaff (held over), Billiams, Culley

Don’t think we can continue with two rucks plus Allen, Darling and Waterman. Something has to give. Let’s see how Flynn goes solo with the occasional chop-out from Darling. Better to trial that against Meek (or Reeves) rather than the following week against Gawn.

Midfield looks closer to normal. We can still give Reid (and Kelly, and Yeo) the occasional stint up forward and give Ryan/Brockman a run through the middle to change things up.

Considered Edwards or Jamieson for Rotham but I don’t think Hawthorn’s forward line is tall enough to warrant it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling the obvious extra one to go. Now that Allen’s back I think it opens the door to him having a few weeks off, but I think people seriously underrate the work he’s put in this season and how his efforts help keep Waterman clean.
Finally, that so needed to be pointed out!

But some will still go on about him being a Simmo's credits player and has to reach 300 club etc. Guarantee Simmo doesn't care about 300 club, or Jake's Coleman chances! He's already said as much.
But meanwhile we have a log jam up front that needs to be addressed...

Last edited:

Sicily - Weddle - Amon
Jiath - Day - D’Ambrosio
Ginnivan - Chol - Watson
Meek - Newcombe - Worpel

Hardwick
on Ryan

Sicily

These match ups = Hawks by 100+

Everyone is gonna have to play out of their skins

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

In addition to this, Simpson said on the Schodown with Schofield that whilst players have today off, they’re instructed to come in if they’re feeling sore from the weekend.

No one came in

Will leave Long, Hewett and Bazzo as the only unavailable players

Agree, we can't be bringing him back in to this team. Darling needs to go but he's one of Simmos favourite players and an absolute lock to get to 300 by round 23. He's played senior footy with a broken leg and a broken arm before and it would take more than both of those to keep him out of the side this close to a milestone.
Wait jacks a chance for 300 this year? Always thought he had to wait till next season

I reckon the focus needs to be on the inside mid setup. Harley will help, could experiment with Hall. Gaff and Sheed have already shown they can’t play lockdown on ball winners very well.

Will Day is going to eat us alive IMO
Liked the look of Ryan in there. He’d benefit well with Yeo/TK and Harley in there. Won’t leave us as exposed on the spread and he’d be able to play his natural attacking style. Can actually see Harley get the ball and draw 3 players to him and him disposing it off to a moving Ryan by himself

Looking forward to this week’s selection.

With an almost injury free list selections will be telling.

In no particular order.

1. Sheed’s future.
2. Forward line structure going forward? Particularly interested in the solution to the ‘tallness’
3. Ruck structure?
4. Ryan and Brockman chopping out in midfield still?
5. Hunt, Cole, Witherden pecking order and placement?
6. Selection integrity and consistency of message it gives to squad?
7. Maric’s role in team going forward?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back