Rumour End Of Season Gossip Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that is fair enough. He did show good signs in his firsts season. I got a bit carried away with that comment but I stand by more point. I hope he makes it but where do the club see him next year? Forward, back? With Chaplin coming over it will be hard for Post and Astbury to get a game down back. There is also Vickery to come into side again. Hopefully Dave or Posty can be the 3rd tall forward
Based on what I've heard we're going with Chaplin Griffiths as the KPD Rance and Grimes as the roaming 3rd talls down back. Up forward the long term plan is for Elton to be CHF, obviously needs to develop physically, alongside Riewoldt & Vickery. Based on the last 2 weeks it would appear that Astbury or McGuane will be given the spot initally until Elton is ready.

My post has clearly gone over your head, dude. My beef isn't with Astbury's talent or even the fact he has been bent over and driven home many times. You'd think most people would understand that if they have read what I have written.
Yeh man, your superior point arguing ability has clearly rendered me helpless to your infinitely better analysis of Astbury.

Yeh man, your superior point arguing ability has clearly rendered me helpless to your infinitely better analysis of Astbury.

At least I had a good discussion with RT. You and that bloke swinging from your nuts just don't seem capable of at least debating the points (mainly because it seems you don't understand what I was saying).

At least I had a good discussion with RT. You and that bloke swinging from your nuts just don't seem capable of at least debating the points (mainly because it seems you don't understand what I was saying).
I liked your post because of the phrase swinging from your nuts. :thumbsu:

Your point was that he lacked heart and had shown nothing. Kicked 3 goals on debut would be showing something. Had a good year in 2010. Showed something.

You also said you don't reckon many of us have played the game. You reckon the kid is soft and lacks heart?? Try coming back from a major knee injury like what had happened to him, and see if you are able to commit 100% to every contest in your first few weeks back. I reckon if something like that had happened to you, you wouldn't be saying he lacks heart. He'll get his confidence right with a full pre-season, and i suggest that if it hadn't been for our injuries that hit our team this year, he wouldn't have gotten a game in the AFL and instead spent the year regaining some confidence and strength in his knee.

Tell you what mate, I've been through it, and it can take upwards of a year to get full confidence back mate. Give him a break and let him develop.

Just because somebody has a different opinion on him, doesn't make us "clueless" or unable to understand the points you make.

Your point was that he lacked heart and had shown nothing. Kicked 3 goals on debut would be showing something. Had a good year in 2010. Showed something.

You also said you don't reckon many of us have played the game. You reckon the kid is soft and lacks heart?? Try coming back from a major knee injury like what had happened to him, and see if you are able to commit 100% to every contest in your first few weeks back. I reckon if something like that had happened to you, you wouldn't be saying he lacks heart. He'll get his confidence right with a full pre-season, and i suggest that if it hadn't been for our injuries that hit our team this year, he wouldn't have gotten a game in the AFL and instead spent the year regaining some confidence and strength in his knee.

Tell you what mate, I've been through it, and it can take upwards of a year to get full confidence back mate. Give him a break and let him develop.

Just because somebody has a different opinion on him, doesn't make us "clueless" or unable to understand the points you make.

So you are capable of debating. I admitted I got carried away with the "shown nothing" comment. However, he has definitely shown little. Had a good year in 2010, give me a ****ing spell. There were good signs from him but (as expected) he had his pants pulled down several times. And seriously, go back and watch some of his work in 2010 and then tell me that's a guy who plays with intensity and is willing to go back with the flight. I didn't care back then because he was young but he is 21 now. He's put on a shit load weight and he still plays with the intensity of Cleve Hughes.

I have had some pretty bad injuries. My knee and hamstrings are both pretty much cooked these days. You're telling me coming back from a knee injury makes you a bit worried about putting your head over it or going back with the flight into a pack? Last time I checked, doing those things has very little to do with your knee! Tom Lonergan continues to be courageous despite missing a bloody kidney. That is exactly what I was talking about earlier, there is one thing that some players bring to the table each time they play no matter how much footy they have missed. Heart. Look at Morris playing with a rooted shoulder this season. Not saying Dave won't be a fine player for this club and a hard at it player either. I just haven't been convinced by him at all so far. He's 21 and hopefully he will have a good year next year.

clea
So you are capable of debating. I admitted I got carried away with the "shown nothing" comment. However, he has definitely shown little. Had a good year in 2010, give me a ******* spell. There were good signs from him but (as expected) he had his pants pulled down several times. And seriously, go back and watch some of his work in 2010 and then tell me that's a guy who plays with intensity and is willing to go back with the flight. I didn't care back then because he was young but he is 21 now. He's put on a shit load weight and he still plays with the intensity of Cleve Hughes.

I have had some pretty bad injuries. My knee and hamstrings are both pretty much cooked these days. You're telling me coming back from a knee injury makes you a bit worried about putting your head over it or going back with the flight into a pack? Last time I checked, doing those things has very little to do with your knee! Tom Lonergan continues to be courageous despite missing a bloody kidney. That is exactly what I was talking about earlier, there is one thing that some players bring to the table each time they play no matter how much footy they have missed. Heart. Look at Morris playing with a rooted shoulder this season. Not saying Dave won't be a fine player for this club and a hard at it player either. I just haven't been convinced by him at all so far. He's 21 and hopefully he will have a good year next year.

clearly your the only person that has ever played football, let alone been injured considering your wealth of experience and knowledge on both counts, and everyone elses lack of

clea

clearly your the only person that has ever played football, let alone been injured considering your wealth of experience and knowledge on both counts, and everyone elses lack of

Hey guy, check out richmond_14s theory. He is the one who talked about coming back from an injury and how long it takes to get your confidence back. I was happy to reply by saying I had my fair share of injuries.

So you are capable of debating. I admitted I got carried away with the "shown nothing" comment. However, he has definitely shown little. Had a good year in 2010, give me a ******* spell. There were good signs from him but (as expected) he had his pants pulled down several times. And seriously, go back and watch some of his work in 2010 and then tell me that's a guy who plays with intensity and is willing to go back with the flight. I didn't care back then because he was young but he is 21 now. He's put on a shit load weight and he still plays with the intensity of Cleve Hughes.

Morris is a nutcase, not many in the AFL have his attack on the footy.

And yes, I am absolutely saying coming back from a bad injury will make you think twice about putting your head over the ball. It isn't only that you worry about your knee, you lose confidence in your entire body. Playing high level footy and coming back from a full knee reco, is a bit different to playing local footy and coming back from a muscle injury.

I suggest you go back and see how he did his knee. Looked pretty hard at it that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see young astbury given some more time... At 21 he still has so much to learn. Having said that, I agree with coxy, we don't need another cleve Hughes- impressive physically but not able to use that to his advantage

We need to be careful not to give up on these big guys too early, but maybe post has had enough opportunities and needs a fresh start elsewhere... Th question is what could we get for him in a trade? With free agency coming in this year players values may drop or rise depending on their upcoming free agent status.

I did just notice that when asked about our key forward setup recently, Dimma said he was looking forward to TV coming back and "we think Todd Elton can play". Might be looking too much into it, but Astbury as a forward is by no means a given.

At present, I think I'd be surprised if Astbury played round 1.

But, hey, that's a long time away

Based on what I've heard we're going with Chaplin Griffiths as the KPD Rance and Grimes as the roaming 3rd talls down back. Up forward the long term plan is for Elton to be CHF, obviously needs to develop physically, alongside Riewoldt & Vickery. Based on the last 2 weeks it would appear that Astbury or McGuane will be given the spot initally until Elton is ready.

So what happens with Astbury when Elton is ready for CHF? Do we still have a spot for him in the 22 or will he become depth/trade bait?

Or does he go to defence as a future replacement for Chaplin?

Wasn't Griffiths drafted as a forward? Sure he is servicable down back but I for one would love to see him playing up forward abit more. Has a great set of mits and clean foot skills. With Grimes back and the addition of Troy Chaplin, maybe Griff will be our swing man on the wing. Much like Richo at the end of his playing days.

I'm possibly one of the very few people who can make a fairly unbiased call on a potential Karnezis trade. IMO Karnezis holds more value than Post in a trade, based on my perception of his extra class. Haven't seen much if him lately, which is no surprise if he's been playing in the ressies. Showed some really promising signs in his first few games, and probably fills a greater need for us than Post (and arguably vice versa).

So, IMO:
- Post in his own right is NOT worth the lions 2nd round pick
- Post for Karnezis outright would be a significant win for the Tigers
- Post + 2nd for Karnezis + 4th probably in the lions favour

IMO more realistic trades are
- Post + 3Rd for Karnezis
- Post + 2nd for Karnezis + 3Rd
- Post for 3Rd
- Post for Acorn, straight swap.

The fact that Karnezis may our may not be homesick is offset by the fact that he's both contacted, and highly rated by the Lions.

So what happens with Astbury when Elton is ready for CHF? Do we still have a spot for him in the 22 or will he become depth/trade bait?

Or does he go to defence as a future replacement for Chaplin?
Astbury is an interesting one, spent all his time at Coburg in his comeback playing KPD, yet when he came into the side the last 2 weeks played as a KPF. Whether that was because it was the only spot for him in the side or not who knows. Maybe they will try and develop him as a long term replacement for Chaplin, given he will be 22 at the start of next season. That gives him a good 2 years to develop his game at FB while Chaplin plays, then when Chaplin moves on Astbury would be a ready to go replacement.

Wasn't Griffiths drafted as a forward? Sure he is servicable down back but I for one would love to see him playing up forward abit more. Has a great set of mits and clean foot skills. With Grimes back and the addition of Troy Chaplin, maybe Griff will be our swing man on the wing. Much like Richo at the end of his playing days.
The one thing many of us were concerned about when Griffiths played up forward was how often he went missing. Whether that was because he ran to the wrong spots or just struggled to get involved who knows.

Yet down back he always seems involved in the play, either because his opponent takes him to the ball or the others look for him because of his kicking ability. The bonus for us is that with his kicking ability he can bypass zones/presses easily and he has shown that floating down from CHB he can be a long bomb option from outside 50 when the opposition do flood back.

At this stage I'm more than happy to see Griffiths lining up long term at CHB, at 200cm & 100kg he certainly has the build to be able to compete with gorilla type CHFs that have always troubled us in the past.

The one thing many of us were concerned about when Griffiths played up forward was how often he went missing. Whether that was because he ran to the wrong spots or just struggled to get involved who knows.

Only consistent games playing up forward will change that. He hasn't got that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back