Rumour End Of Season Gossip Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard some interesting stories from some of the younger players at the Jack Dyer Medal... They said that Graham is going to be traded (obviously Browne is gone which means we would have no back up ruck which would mean we would have to look at trading/drafting one in). Also said that White and Post both want out... Not sure how these guys would know about list management decisions especially as they are the younger players but is some food for thought none the less.

Heard some interesting stories from some of the younger players at the Jack Dyer Medal... They said that Graham is going to be traded (obviously Browne is gone which means we would have no back up ruck which would mean we would have to look at trading/drafting one in). Also said that White and Post both want out... Not sure how these guys would know about list management decisions especially as they are the younger players but is some food for thought none the less.
Hope all of this is true..except i wouldnt mind White staying for depth..

He is every bit worth Pick 9. Jetta was 21 when drafted, this kid is 18. He is a good kid, nice lad who loves his footy. Made some silly choices but nothing like what people are trying to suggest. Quiet, shy and just wants to play. In a system that believes in it's development he will flourish. Mark Williams is a great indiginous mentor for obvious reasons, his greatest works were the Burgoyne boys who in the early years had some real issues. Garletts don't come close to what the issues they had, trust me. Yet he nurtured them into fine, long term players who stuck to the straight and narrow. I have no issue at all in taking a player like Garlett early.

I do tend to agree with you about the brotherhood. We have Shane Edwards as our only aboriginal representative, which to me is very poor. Getting in one or two more along with Garlett would create a great environment for him to feel comfortable. But again, we should only take who we believe will be best for us at each given pick. We have a group of great leaders at the club and a playing group that is really close knit and nice guys who will welcome him in. He should have no issues.

Just read that someone said he was too outside? I think many have formed an opinion on him by not watching more than a minute of highlights on him. The kid can do it all, inside/outside, magical, simple. He has a lot of improvement in him, but the foundations are all there. As I said, watch the Vic Metro game against WA and he, Jack Martin and Simpson swung the game back, through hard work, skill and unbelievable pace. Garlett started in the square when WA were making their comeback. Not bad for a too outside player. No doubt he will spend a majority of time outside, but that is his unbelievable strength. His pace is right up to Jetta's, will be the quickest those two in the league. What an asset for us to have, for us a one paced side.

Left foot, penetrating kick, I was the biggest Kennedy fan around, I now believe Garlett would be the better choice. That is how high I rate the lad.

Lastly on Tambling. No. Not going to happen, nor should it. Time to move on.

Are you a car salesman mate? You've definitely convinced me! Happy to take him with our first rounder if possible. We definitely need a game breaker with elite speed (couple that with Lids and Martin's explosiveness out of a pack and we are looking the goods.)

I've been conscious that our list and history generally hasn't had great results with drafting indigenous players in recent years - would love to have a couple on the list to bring that flair and skill they often possess (was sad and a bit surprised to see Gibson get delisted).

Also another Toon fan - I tip my hat to you good sir! :thumbsu:

They are players at the club so they would have a fair idea about whos coming/going or wanting to leave anyways. Wouldnt be dissapointed with any of those rumors but we seriously need some ruck depth. Could get very scary next year if Ivan went down for and extended period.

They said that Graham is going to be traded (obviously Browne is gone which means we would have no back up ruck which would mean we would have to look at trading/drafting one in).
The club obviously has a plan in mind... perhaps they're going to cross their fingers Maric doesn't miss too many games, and stock up on a couple of younger, developing rucks, knowing that Vickery and X can cover injury to Ivan for the odd game here and there. Something like Nicholls, and an 18 year old in the draft. Browne back on the rookie list works for me, too.

Rucks becomes interesting with the sub rule... no club really plays more than one genuine ruck in their 22, which suddenly makes it more difficult to lure an established ruckman to move clubs when it is clear their is no guarantee of opportunity at senior level... I guess that's why my theory above makes sense in my mind.

The club obviously has a plan in mind... perhaps they're going to cross their fingers Maric doesn't miss too many games, and stock up on a couple of younger, developing rucks, knowing that Vickery and X can cover injury to Ivan for the odd game here and there. Something like Nicholls, and an 18 year old in the draft. Browne back on the rookie list works for me, too.

Rucks becomes interesting with the sub rule... no club really plays more than one genuine ruck in their 22, which suddenly makes it more difficult to lure an established ruckman to move clubs when it is clear their is no guarantee of opportunity at senior level... I guess that's why my theory above makes sense in my mind.

...and this :thumbsu:

If the Graham stuff is true:
1. What would we get for him?
2. Who would we replace him with?

Personally I can't see too much value in Graham unfortunately. Maybe a third rounder or some sort of pick upgrade?

Talk on the GC board is that Tom Nicholls has no currency and is likely to be delisted. If this were the case, that would make him an unrestricted free agent :D

Another point is that we haven't seen Derickx in the number one ruck role at any level. Maybe he would perform better there than as a key position player?

Plus Elton is meant to be a Forward/Ruck or Ruck/Foraward is he not? with Dx, Browne and Gus (and his age size) wouldn't have been beng used in the ruck yet as part of his development?

Derickx would go ok as a number one ruck I think. at least worth keeping on for 1 more year. ill be oh so happy if gus is traded. but its smart cover instead of not paying out his contract (even tho he's horrible). not too many rucks around unless we go into the state league. browne on the rookie list would be ok for me too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Graham stuff is true:
1. What would we get for him?
2. Who would we replace him with?

Personally I can't see too much value in Graham unfortunately. Maybe a third rounder or some sort of pick upgrade?

Talk on the GC board is that Tom Nicholls has no currency and is likely to be delisted. If this were the case, that would make him an unrestricted free agent :D

Another point is that we haven't seen Derickx in the number one ruck role at any level. Maybe he would perform better there than as a key position player?
65th rounder and we pay a fair chunk of his wage would be my guess

65th rounder and we pay a fair chunk of his wage would be my guess

SOLD!!! What has got me ****ed is who in their right minds would actually give a second thought on asking? I mean, the only logical conclusion I can come up with is a coach who has had enough doesnt want to resign and wants to force the club to sack him.. ;)

I can think of three clubs who may be silly enough to take Gus

1. GWS taking Brogan's role of protecting the kids and Giles' workload.
2. Saints as backup for McEvoy. They desperately need another ruckman
3. Bulldogs if they lose Minson to GWS or as a free agent.

I like the idea of gaining GWS' third rounder, but I think the Saints are the most likely

Graham and Post for their 2nd?
Think he was talking about another KPD... one we hope we can trade out nearly every year!

Considering the talk is we're unlikely to go beyond the 3rd round of the draft, I'd be happy to give any team willing to take Graham off our hands our 4th, 5th and 6th round picks... no need for anything in return :D

Think he was talking about another KPD... one we hope we can trade out nearly every year!

Considering the talk is we're unlikely to go beyond the 3rd round of the draft, I'd be happy to give any team willing to take Graham off our hands our 4th, 5th and 6th round picks... no need for anything in return :D

No I was talking Post.
I just don't want to become like an Essendon poster and put Post/ Graham into every trade.

Gus was ok in stages of 2010/11. I remember AW giving it to Walls because he'd said he was no good, then he started playing well.

No I was talking Post.
I just don't want to become like an Essendon poster and put Post/ Graham into every trade.

Gus was ok in stages of 2010/11. I remember AW giving it to Walls because he'd said he was no good, then he started playing well.

Post should be able to fetch the Lions' pick 30 if they gave Hawthorn 28 for Lisle. That would give us 29,30,31

Are you a car salesman mate? You've definitely convinced me! Happy to take him with our first rounder if possible. We definitely need a game breaker with elite speed (couple that with Lids and Martin's explosiveness out of a pack and we are looking the goods.)

I've been conscious that our list and history generally hasn't had great results with drafting indigenous players in recent years - would love to have a couple on the list to bring that flair and skill they often possess (was sad and a bit surprised to see Gibson get delisted).

Also another Toon fan - I tip my hat to you good sir! :thumbsu:

Massive Toon fan! Howay!

I am not a car salesman, just know what I want. Seen vision of most of the highly rated kids, and this guy appeals to me the most. Heard today though that the Bulldogs are keen so we may not get the chance.

His type is exactly what we need. I can just imagine what someone like him would bring to our side. We would be so much more dangerous.

Despite what I think, I don't think our guys are keen on him. Shame.

Poor mans version of Willie Wheeler .

Kid can play. Better than Wheeler.

Despite him being a rookie for so long, he was not that far away from being promoted. The Swans do rate him. He has worked hard and is a great guy. I can see the appeal.

His kicking is very good, his inside ball work is fantastic too. Still young so we can develop him further. Haven't heard we are keen but I can see the appeal as I said. Will be a cheap option that could pay huge dividends.

Disagree on Grimes. He is a genuine KPD and as for the comparison to Mackie he's 4kg heavier than him at age 21 (193cm/91kg). I'd expect another 2-3 kg in the preseason. He has versatility but has shown he can play on key forwards and do it very well. Rance, Chaplin and Grimes is more than enough talls to cover most teams and a vast range of key forwards. Batchelor can cover the players you're setting for Grimes.

Interesting you say that Grimes is a genuine KPD yet I believe that you may have said in the past that McGuane is too small to be a genuine KPD yet he is 1cm shorter and 1kg heavier than Grimes. When I think of genuine KPD I look at players like Griffiths 200cm & 100kg and Chaplin 195cm & 100kg as the types I want as the pillars of my backline. A player like Grimes who has height but more importantly speed can't be asked to bulk up to 95-96kg to be able to play week to week on big gorilla type forwards.

Not many players especially someone thats 175 cm spends more then a year on the rookie list let alone three. There is obviously something about McNeil that stands out for him to still be with the swans. Also its quite hard to break into the swans midfield if you are an inside mid so its understandable that he hasn't played a game yet. For a late pick I wouldn't be against trading for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back