Rumour End Of Season Gossip Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only consistent games playing up forward will change that. He hasn't got that yet.
Has played 9 games as a forward(1, 4 & 4) and 9 games as a defender(6 & 3). IMO has much more impact as a defender than he ever had playing up forward. So now that we seemingly have him settled in defence why stuff him around and move him back again. We did that sort of crap with Schulz and it ended up stuffing him up.

Has played 9 games as a forward(1, 4 & 4) and 9 games as a defender(6 & 3). IMO has much more impact as a defender than he ever had playing up forward. So now that we seemingly have him settled in defence why stuff him around and move him back again. We did that sort of crap with Schulz and it ended up stuffing him up.

If he can build his tank and improve his offensive game like Grimes did this year. We'll have a serious weapon in our back line. 70m bullets streaming out of the HB line straight into Jack's chest.

That's because as a young kid learning his way it's easier playing as a backman. Ball comes to you and you don't have to make the play. Doesn't mean he should be destined to play that position just because of that.

If Chaplin comes I'd be moving him forward. Wouldn't be a fan of a Chaplin, Rance, Griffiths, Grimes backline. Too tall IMO. You only need 3 talls at most and against some sides can get away with 2. 4 is overkill regardless of how versatile some of them are.

That's because as a young kid learning his way it's easier playing as a backman. Ball comes to you and you don't have to make the play. Doesn't mean he should be destined to play that position just because of that.

If Chaplin comes I'd be moving him forward. Wouldn't be a fan of a Chaplin, Rance, Griffiths, Grimes backline. Too tall IMO. You only need 3 talls at most and against some sides can get away with 2. 4 is overkill regardless of how versatile some of them are.
Thats the thing though, what happens if you throw a kid down back to learn the game and he takes to it like a duck to water, do you move him back to the forward line, where he looked out of place? Or do you leave him where he is starting to really show something? IMO you leave them where they are starting to show something.

As for the backline being too tall, I don't see it that way. Rance Chaplin and Griffiths are genuine KPD size. Grimes is more a Mackie type, has the height but isn't strong enough to compete as a genuine body on body defender. Instead he is best suited coming off his man and being the 3rd man up with the spoil. Lets not forget the kid has great closing speed and on fleet footed mid sized forwards that would be a real bonus.

Thats the thing though, what happens if you throw a kid down back to learn the game and he takes to it like a duck to water, do you move him back to the forward line, where he looked out of place? Or do you leave him where he is starting to really show something? IMO you leave them where they are starting to show something.

I don't think he's taken to it like a duck to water. More been serviceable than anything. He should go forward in the position he was drafted in and fight for that 3rd tall position with Elton. Elton will not be ready to play 22 games (probably 10 at most) and Astbury is a big question mark. Derickx is shit. McGuane is McGuane who is one of the best in the league at missing goals from 5m out. We need some more quality up there. Backline is covered especially if Chaplin comes.

As for the backline being too tall, I don't see it that way. Rance Chaplin and Griffiths are genuine KPD size. Grimes is more a Mackie type, has the height but isn't strong enough to compete as a genuine body on body defender. Instead he is best suited coming off his man and being the 3rd man up with the spoil. Lets not forget the kid has great closing speed and on fleet footed mid sized forwards that would be a real bonus.

Disagree on Grimes. He is a genuine KPD and as for the comparison to Mackie he's 4kg heavier than him at age 21 (193cm/91kg). I'd expect another 2-3 kg in the preseason. He has versatility but has shown he can play on key forwards and do it very well. Rance, Chaplin and Grimes is more than enough talls to cover most teams and a vast range of key forwards. Batchelor can cover the players you're setting for Grimes.

Morris is a nutcase, not many in the AFL have his attack on the footy.

And yes, I am absolutely saying coming back from a bad injury will make you think twice about putting your head over the ball. It isn't only that you worry about your knee, you lose confidence in your entire body. Playing high level footy and coming back from a full knee reco, is a bit different to playing local footy and coming back from a muscle injury.

I suggest you go back and see how he did his knee. Looked pretty hard at it that day.

point of order. he had a medial reco and a patella injury not an acl injury.

rance is also fast enough to play on the smalls too.

Can't be bothered starting a new thread but after reading about Malthouse and Alan Richardson I was wondering if we might look at Richardson in a development role. He has a great reputation for development and Dimma said after the appointment of Mark Williams we were still looking to fill some coaching development roles.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/comments-stun-richardson-20120909-25m28.html

We have already said we are looking at getting a second development coach, I'd love to get Richardson. Was a big fan of him during the hiring for dimmas gig, and would be a big gt for us. Only q would be would he be happy working under Choco rather than heading up his own dept

Ling has already ruled himself out of coaching for 2013

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) We've got a heap of young talls with some talent. That's nice, but with that comes inconsistent performance and difficulty in playing out full seasons. So we have Astbury/Post as extras at the moment. that is great. Both have talent, can play both ends and need games. Another pre season and they shoudl be at full AFL physical capacity, and they have enough experience to know what is required. Next year we should know what they are capable of - not neccesarily that they are superstars, but we see what they can do as mature players. Griff playing back makes sense, he fills a need and is weapon off the back half. If he grows beyond CHB and takes CHF as his own, great. If he ends up a good CHB, great! These guys are too young to know their end point yet, but we can see their talent. McG is a different thing, we know what we are going to get. And right now he is great depth. Fills the 3rd tall forward and back role well, but will only ever be depth. If we can get rid of him that means we not only have better 1st 18 players but we also have depth to cover them without Luke. Right now he fills a need.

2) The coaching set up is still a work in progress - fitness, development etc. This is looking good though. They are targetting very good people and getting most of them. I would personally prefer a very good coach than someone that was a great player (Ling). Great players sometimes make great coaches (Matthews) but often just don't connect to the average guy. I'd rather get someone I had never heard of but was the bees knees, than entice GAJ to retire and be a coach for us. (Although getting GAJ to play for us would be another thing)

inside mid that can't get a crack in a strong inside brigade after 3 years on rookie list
would be cheap
could be good spotting, must have shown something to be retained for that long

Richmond keen on Dylan McNeil (from the Murray Bushrangers)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/more-kids-coming.657024/page-2#post-16387529

It would seem that we have had an interest for a long time

Dylan McNeil (Murray, NSW)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB:

This is a heart and soul guy who you know is going to go out there and give his all every game. If there is any justice in the world someone will pick him and as far as skill set goes someone should. The problem that he has is that modern midfielders are all at least 180cm tall and usually significantly quicker than he is. 175cm guys with less than average pace are overlooked year in year out and that could easily happen to McNeil for the second year in a row. What he does offer is a very good in and under midfielder who attacks contests with avengence. He has good quick hands and has good vision enabling him to shoot handballs out from in tight situations. He is strong over the ball, holds his feet well in the contest and recovers quickly when he does go to ground. He reads the ball well off hands and gets himself to good positions. When he gets outside he finds space well and offers his team mates an easy out option. His kicking lacks some penetration but he is reasonably accurate over short and medium distances and he chooses between options well. He is a very tenacious tackler and makes more than his fair share. He will shepherd, block and smother and all the other things needed for team success. He is very much a leader and leads by example. He attended at Camp and as expected did not set the world on fire. His pace was below average but was not terrible, his endurance was good but not exceptionally so, his jumping and agility were ordinary. He is not an athlete but he is a footballer. Overall he is a ball magnet who gets in and has a real go and leads by example

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...arning-longer-than-ever.653140/#post-16293918

McNeill is slow and has no penetration in his kicking at all those 2 things for me is a no for recruiting this guy aswell as being on the short and light side. Big no from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back