List Mgmt. FA & trade wash up, what list spots & draft picks do we have?

Remove this Banner Ad

or Nominate a Rookie like Cox
Not sure Cox can still be elevated as if he could why didn't they wait on Smith or Keeffe so we had all F/S points available. Also I don't think we will see Cox elevated this year as I believe there are salary cap advantages of him staying on Cat B rookie list as long as possible.

Not sure Cox can still be elevated as if he could why didn't they wait on Smith or Keeffe so we had all F/S points available. Also I don't think we will see Cox elevated this year as I believe there are salary cap advantages of him staying on Cat B rookie list as long as possible.

On Cox it depends if we go with a senior list of 39. We can elevate one rookie at any time.
If we go with 40 we can only elevate a rookie if we have a long term injury. Not sure if Marsh falls in this category? If we keep him on our list and decides not to come back.

On Cox it depends if we go with a senior list of 39. We can elevate one rookie at any time.
If we go with 40 we can only elevate a rookie if we have a long term injury. Not sure if Marsh falls in this category? If we keep him on our list and decides not to come back.

I think the answer is no, Marsh is unlikely to be permitted to be LTI listed.

Sorry for confusion. I was talking about not sure if Cox can still be elevated permanently onto senior list during 2016 (like Smith & Keeffe). I am well aware we can promote him temporarily in 2017 for LTI or if list size is 38 or 39 as a nominated rookie.

I think the answer is no, Marsh is unlikely to be permitted to be LTI listed.
Why? If he has a genuine psychological issue that requires time away from football it seems discriminatory to not allow him to be put on the LTI list.

Why? If he has a genuine psychological issue that requires time away from football it seems discriminatory to not allow him to be put on the LTI list.

I dont have a why...its not an opinion its what I read somewhere. Could be wrong, hence my post not being unequivocal. Agree it would be good if we could utilise the LTI option but the club would need to have that ruling verified BEFORE they finalised their list if they wanted to go down the "list of 40" path.

Last edited:
Will be 3 or 4 (must make at least 3 ND selections - can include F/S).

Add an extra pick for each of Blair or Marsh if they leave. Also deduct a pick for each DFA we add prior to the draft (if any).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The rookie upgrades count toward the 3 picks unless I'm mistaken.

Cox can be elevated at any of the list lodgements or preseason but as you suggest there are salary cap benefits to leaving him on the IR list.

Sorry for confusion. I was talking about not sure if Cox can still be elevated permanently onto senior list during 2016 (like Smith & Keeffe). I am well aware we can promote him temporarily in 2017 for LTI or if list size is 38 or 39 as a nominated rookie.

If we have a list of 38 or 39 you can promote a rookie at any time you want. If that is what your asking. In most cases clubs look at preseason form or even 4 or 5 weeks in to the season v.f.l then decide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many of us are panicking with Marsh's retirement , and even with the possibility of Blair leaving.
Asking for D.F.A like oshea, litherland,
Richards. to be brought in.
Would rather see us bight the bullet not get any delisted free agents with the possible excemption of a ruckman even then i would look at ruckman under 25.
And look at key position players like Keitel 20 year old from the wafl.

If we have a list of 38 or 39 you can promote a rookie at any time you want. If that is what your asking. In most cases clubs look at preseason form or even 4 or 5 weeks in to the season v.f.l then decide.
Actually, I believe that 'nominated' rookies must be nominated prior to season commencing (normally 1 week prior to kick off, just after pre season games).
Once that window closes, the next opportunitiy is via mid season upgrade (1 rookie) or LTI upgrades.

Many of us are panicking with Marsh's retirement , and even with the possibility of Blair leaving.
Asking for D.F.A like oshea, litherland,
Richards. to be brought in.
Would rather see us bight the bullet not get any delisted free agents with the possible excemption of a ruckman even then i would look at ruckman under 25.
And look at key position players like Keitel 20 year old from the wafl.

We dont need a ruckman on the main list, he will be a rookie list player .

We do need an extra backman though having lost three and brining one back after a two year suspension (not to mention having to rely on Reid staying fit). Whether its via DFA or rookie list I'm not sure. DFA ensures we land the right one though. Sounds like it might be OShea.

Assuming Blair is staying (due to no news or rumblings) I think we can go to the draft with 5 picks (even if we don't intend to use them all).

Current list of 35 with a maximum list of 40. I think we will go with 39 + 5 but we don't have to decide that until draft night to see what's available.

With the new rules of only going to the draft with picks corresponding to free list spots (no more pick stock piling) having 5 picks gives us more flexibility to deal with F/S bids if we need to use multiple picks & not to go into deficit.

If we only have to use 1 pick each for Brown/Daicos (44/51) then we can decide on the night if we take a DFA like O'Shea with fourth pick (we can then pass on our 5th pick).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So the afl web site reported yesterday that following the delisting of Marsh, the pies will now take 5 picks to the national draft and that would appear to leave 3 spots for the rookie draft.

The 2016 draft picks will be:

28, 44, 51, 62, 65

Umm so why did we trade Williams @ 105?

So the afl web site reported yesterday that following the delisting of Marsh, the pies will now take 5 picks to the national draft and that would appear to leave 3 spots for the rookie draft.

28, 44, 51, 62, 65

The 5 spot most likely be a DFA or a Nominated Rookie

28, 44, 51, 62, 65

I think we probably would have delisted him otherwise, so the pick wasn't important.

28, 44, 51, 62, 65

It was more a delisting than a trade. Easier to get it over and done with for North.

28, 44, 51, 62, 65

Pick 105 suggests we were very happy to have him out of the club. Makes me think all isn't well with Marley.
On a positive note, Chris Grant was selected with pick 105.

28, 44, 51, 62, 65

To help him get to the club of his choice

To help him get to the club of his choice
Yes, the days of 'punishing' players by sending them to the draft are gone...
Clubs may use 'the draft' threat purely as a negotiating tool with another club (trade negotiations), however most players get to their club of choice these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. FA & trade wash up, what list spots & draft picks do we have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back