Autopsy First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

In times like now where a loss like that is still raw, we need to remind ourselves that last season there was no one that expected us to make finals. No one.

Got to within a kick of making a GF, and followed up this season with another solid year.

So the last two seasons we have probably overachieved.

Having said that. The leaders and coaching staff will have to somehow deal with the magnitude of that loss to reform the playing group to have another hot go next time around.

I think we can say with complete certainty that the umpiring department will never, ever allow us to win a flag.

I hope VFL HQ is truly happy with themselves.

It’s a franchise destroying result.

My family will not renew our memberships for 2025.

We have a great team, coach, club and stadium.

However, we will never be allowed to win.

It’s that tragic, and that simple.

My best of future wishes to my fellow Giants Board posters.

It’s been a pleasure, but this is where I leave you.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bizarre melt...you didn't even play a Victorian team.

The leaders and coaching staff will have to somehow deal with the magnitude of that loss to reform the playing group to have another hot go next time around.
The problem I have for that is that we clearly don't have the right coaching staff.

Whoever is our set shot coach? OUT.

Our leaders? TFG has had a shocking year. Apart from a few brilliant moments, his leadership has been lacking on-field. Whitfield? Kelly? Coniglio (stop being so bluddy selfish and declare yourself not fit to play)? I'll add Daniels to that list whose finals series has been atrocious for his standards.

I'm struggling to see this team getting to a GF when our supposed leaders are so inconsistent.

Players like Ash who are nett negative. Himmelberg who should be playing a lot better a lot more often.

The team is mentally weak when the going gets tough.

The problem I have for that is that we clearly don't have the right coaching staff.

Our leaders? TFG has had a shocking year. Apart from a few brilliant moments, his leadership has been lacking on-field. Whitfield? Kelly? Coniglio (stop being so bluddy selfish and declare yourself not fit to play)? I'll add Daniels to that list whose finals series has been atrocious for his standards.

I'm struggling to see this team getting to a GF when our supposed leaders are so inconsistent.

Players like Ash who are nett negative. Himmelberg who should be playing a lot better a lot more often.

Bit reactionary? Our accuracy has been great for most of the season. Plus, every player has their ups and downs and had we won I doubt a lot of those players even get mentions. Lachie Neale and Cam Rayner had some shocking games but they won't be mentioned because they won.

Dude. The Lions had 5 more scoring shots and Giants the most accurate team in 2024.
Who are you going to replace the coaches with?
Let the dust settle and look forward to 2025. It will be all the sweeter having been through a bit of pain.

Saints haven’t won a GF since 1966.

Bit reactionary? Our accuracy has been great for most of the season. Plus, every player has their ups and downs and had we won I doubt a lot of those players even get mentions.
You might be happy with mediocrity when it actually counts, but I'm not.

WE DIDN'T WIN - so there should be increased focus on those who performed poorly when it mattered as it is clear, many players simply did not step up in the finals.

Just saying players have their ups and downs won't see this team reach and win a GF.

We need to identify weaknesses and do something about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got in the car.

heck I'm devastated. Empty yet angry.

It was a great match of momentum changes, didn't enjoy it at all.

Buckley was amazing. Ditto for Jesse. His 5th goal gave us some breathing space although it wasn't enough.

It's hard to see what caused free kicks etc when you are at the game. I know Daniels gave away a 50 but it seems like he shat the bed tonight. Explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Chipping in the 4th qtr, I knew we were doomed. Ofc, the lions kept the pressure hence we folded. Some free kicks looked sus.

What If Season....

I don't see us dropping off that much next year, feel like with another preseason + some new players coming through we'll continue to be a big threat next year. Callaghan has been steadily improving; Cadman doing some big things; Muff, Thomas, Rowston, Fonti, Leake, Gothard, Angwin, Fahey etc all have a lot to give and have all showed promise.

Hopefully with some successful surgeries in the off-season Briggs and Cogs can have uninterrupted years.

As long as players like Hogan, Green, Buckley, Taylor etc don't drop off and keep form we'll be fine next year

44 points up and overrun.

For the second week in a row we go into the last quarter leading by more than 20 and lose.

For the second week in a row be begin to try and ice the game from about the 10 minute mark. You can’t ice a game for 20 minutes.

Yes some dodgy AF frees and non calls but seriously, we shouldn’t have lost either of those games.

Two weeks in a row we haven’t lived up to our theme song.

But - footy - there’s always next year.

It’s hard to feel the slightest bit positive about this season right now.

Two pathetic collapses in two weeks and we’re bundled out in straight sets. The umpiring wasn’t great but can’t blame them for us sh*tting the bed two weeks in a row.

The team has talent and a good game plan but the lack of leadership in these pressure moments becomes very obvious.

At least we won’t lose to the Swans for a fourth time this year.

Just got in the car.

heck I'm devastated. Empty yet angry.

It was a great match of momentum changes, didn't enjoy it at all.

Buckley was amazing. Ditto for Jesse. His 5th goal gave us some breathing space although it wasn't enough.

It's hard to see what caused free kicks etc when you are at the game. I know Daniels gave away a 50 but it seems like he shat the bed tonight. Explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Chipping in the 4th qtr, I knew we were doomed. Ofc, the lions kept the pressure hence we folded. Some free kicks looked sus.

What If Season....
Daniels on two occassions was penalised a 50 for not throwing the ball back to an opposition player. The first time it happened there was a Lions player that said throw it to me so Daniels did, but it was supposed to go to another player so Daniels got the 50 paid against him. Harsh.

The second one was a similar circumstance where Daniels had possession of the ball but was unsure who to throw it to after the free was awarded, so got the 50 paid against him. The ump explained to Daniels after the 50 was paid that he (the ump) said to give it to Payne. However, thinking about this, the ump assumed that Faniels could easily identify who Payne is. However, opposition players don't necessarily spend alot of time with each other, so it may not have been obvious to Daniels who Payne was, so Daniels may have been confused. Again, I think the 50 against was harsh on Daniels.

The situation where Daniels kicked the ball off the ground to register a behind after a free had been paid in front of goal to his teamate - the call of "play on" was only after Daniels had kicked the ball.

You might be happy with mediocrity when it actually counts, but I'm not.

WE DIDN'T WIN - so there should be increased focus on those who performed poorly when it mattered as it is clear, many players simply did not step up in the finals.

Just saying players have their ups and downs won't see this team reach and win a GF.

We need to identify weaknesses and do something about it.
We are all feeling raw right now so I don't want to argue with a fellow supporter but wtf are you talking about?!

Kingsley and coaching staff made major adjustments throughout the season in the background of injuries to Cog/Kelly, blooding youngsters and formulating Plan B during our slump in the mid season.

Coaches can't make players go out of shell when the pressure is on. Lions were pressuring all night. Dopey Joe had one of those nights where he missed in front then kicked form the corner.

We are all hurting but let's not go overboard.

I remember saying on here at the end of last year, I was concerned Kingsley was content going into this season with the same list (other than draft picks) as it never works for contenders, you need to bring in mature talent from other clubs to add to the core when in contention.

Hopefully they do that this off season, there are plenty of good players on other lists seeking opportunity that could add something, heck, even the swans have about 4 or 5 that could potentially be coaxed over to strengthen the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back