Autopsy First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope I wake up feeling better tomorrow cause at the moment I see a multitude of issues with this club:
  • Easter show.
  • Canberra.
I am beyond over seeing / being called as being from Canberra or being encouraged to move to Canberra.

The deal has cost us and has cost us and cost us dearly. We cannot ever seem to get on a run of wins similar to the Swans. It just won't ever happen playing away as much as we do. We start the season at a disadvantage.

As much as I love footy and this club, massive questions need to be asked whether this is worth it.

Canberra needs/deserves its own team and we need ours to play 11 games in Sydney.

This is not even touching on our players or the umpiring which is forever against us at Engie.
The club has a deal till at least 2032 with the ACT Government to play 3 AFL games (including a pre-season) as well as at least 1 AFLW game (with an increase to 2 when fixtures increase) annually. That is not going to change as the club, the ACT Government and the AFL seem satisfied with the status quo. Indeed the club also regards itself as Canberra’s AFL team, and the 21 year relationship (when the current deal expires) is the longest relationship by far any club has ever had with our territory. Indeed under the contract, there is an option for the ACT government to purchase a 4th AFL game if the club makes it available

Daniels on two occassions was penalised a 50 for not throwing the ball back to an opposition player. The first time it happened there was a Lions player that said throw it to me so Daniels did, but it was supposed to go to another player so Daniels got the 50 paid against him. Harsh.
Not only harsh, but incorrect. If an opposition player calls for the ball and you pass it to the wrong player as a result, that's not a 50. They changed that at least five or more years ago precisely because of the stupid gamesmanship it introduced.

(Note: I was at the game so haven't seen the replay as to whether or not the player actually called for it, I'm going off your description.)

The crowd was 18,357. The 10th biggest attendance at Giants Stadium, and the 3rd biggest finals attendance (out of 4 finals held) at GS - however, it was bigger than the 14,865 that attended the 2017 West coast final.

5 less scores against BNE and 1 less against SYD in the 2 finals
We should be more concerned with our goal kicking accuracy.

Yes, it is a problem if the opposition has more opportunities at goal, but that emphasises the importance of taking our chances.

Bad kicking should have lost this game for Brisbane. Bad kicking has gone a long way to us losing tonight and last week.

P.S. Dude was patronising, but apology accepted :)

In a 18 team league (soon to be 19 and probably 20 not much longer after that), in a city where you only exist as a subculture on the fringes, you only play 8 games at home, go on the road for eight weeks in a row at the start of the season, can’t fill a stadium for a final.. to throw it away like that.. that really hurts because we as a club are not going to get many better chances. Who knows when we get back there

The crowd was 18,357. The 10th biggest attendance at Giants Stadium, and the 3rd biggest finals attendance (out of 4 finals held) at GS - however, it was bigger than the 14,865 that attended the 2017 West coast final.

Would that be the biggest giants fan attendance to a game ever? I think it could be, but those there in person would know better. The lions fans made a lot of noise but i think they only had about 4 bays.

The crowd was 18,357. The 10th biggest attendance at Giants Stadium
The SEN post game show was absolutely panning the attendance and implying it signalled the death of the club. It struck me as a pathetic overreaction by a typically insular Melbourne media outlet.

Newsflash - Sydney does not have a collective obsession with football the way that Melbourne does. I’ve been to NRL games this year that had half as many people as we had tonight, and that’s for a sport with over 100 years of history in NSW.

We have a smaller but growing supporter base and continue to break our Membership record year on year. The atmosphere tonight was excellent.

In a 18 team league (soon to be 19 and probably 20 not much longer after that), in a city where you only exist as a subculture on the fringes, you only play 8 games at home, go on the road for eight weeks in a row at the start of the season, can’t fill a stadium for a final.. to throw it away like that.. that really hurts because we as a club are not going to get many better chances. Who knows when we get back there
Looking forward to when the club asks for member feedback.

I have no issue with the loss per se. I have issue with the disadvantage we put ourselves in from the start of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy had one of those nights where the ball was just few centimetres away from his grasp. He never got the right bounce tonight.

Many positives even though hollow:

A cracking atmosphere with many casuals attending. I had 4 people behind me who don't follow AFL let alone the Giants.

Taylor and Buckley will surpass May/Lever in 2025 as the premier defensive pair. I actually think they have already surpassed. Idun will continue to improve.

Youngesters we blooded. They all play with the Giants ethos, hard, fast and pressuring.

Finn and Peatling. Really look forward to next year.

Big decision about Kelly and Cog come off season.

A cracking atmosphere with many casuals attending. I had 4 people behind me who don't follow AFL let alone the Giants.
Sydney turns out for an event. All those three game members came along tonight so they could say they went to the final. It was a really great atmosphere.

Question is, can we make up for the natural decline of Greene, Cogs, Kelly (still great but worried about injuries), Whitters? I’m not confident
You’re absolutely right.

All of those players have lacked the impact of previous years.

I’ve also a bad feeling some of those long term contracts are going to hurt us based on what we’ve seen this year.

Maybe Kingsley needs to revise their roles.

I think it's worth bearing in mind we were a kick away from a prelim twice this year with Cogs bordering on being a liability, Greene maybe 50% of his best and only impacting moments, and Kelly definitely down on being Mr Consistent.

Even if only one of three bounces back we're actually looking good because we are playing so many kids out there that we've got natural improvement left in us.

It felt like last year was a fluke, ahead of schedule. This year we were more consistent and developed into that style, but were unlucky to get edged out a week earlier. I'm looking forward to next year - I think we'll be better, I don't buy us going backwards because we've already seen what we look like with the elder statesmen NOT contributing like they should and all in all it looks good.

That's not to say I wouldn't want us picking up some more mature bodies to put pressure on spots but it's always a tough sell. You can only recruit those who want to come.

It’ll be interesting on how quickly the Giants announce their list changes.

Many clubs started announcing delistings within a few days of their season ending.

I’m guessing it won’t be soon.

Darcy had one of those nights where the ball was just few centimetres away from his grasp. He never got the right bounce tonight.

Many positives even though hollow:

Taylor and Buckley will surpass May/Lever in 2025 as the premier defensive pair. I actually think they have already surpassed. Idun will continue to improve.

Youngesters we blooded. They all play with the Giants ethos, hard, fast and pressuring.

Finn and Peatling. Really look forward to next year.

Big decision about Kelly and Cog come off season.
Yes, Darcy was just a couple of unlucky bounces from delivering the killer blow to Brisbane. And agree with Taylor and Buckley.

However Cogs contract expires in 2026, and Kelly’s in 2029.

I think it's worth bearing in mind we were a kick away from a prelim twice this year with Cogs bordering on being a liability, Greene maybe 50% of his best and only impacting moments, and Kelly definitely down on being Mr Consistent.

Even if only one of three bounces back we're actually looking good because we are playing so many kids out there that we've got natural improvement left in us.

It felt like last year was a fluke, ahead of schedule. This year we were more consistent and developed into that style, but were unlucky to get edged out a week earlier. I'm looking forward to next year - I think we'll be better, I don't buy us going backwards because we've already seen what we look like with the elder statesmen NOT contributing like they should and all in all it looks good.

That's not to say I wouldn't want us picking up some more mature bodies to put pressure on spots but it's always a tough sell. You can only recruit those who want to come.

Interesting, I didn't think the team ever reached the heights of last year, we saw glimpses occasionally, but never for a full game. Last year the giants were the best team in the comp imo, they just had too much to catch up on after a slow start to the year.

I don't see us dropping off that much next year, feel like with another preseason + some new players coming through we'll continue to be a big threat next year. Callaghan has been steadily improving; Cadman doing some big things; Muff, Thomas, Rowston, Fonti, Leake, Gothard, Angwin, Fahey etc all have a lot to give and have all showed promise.

Hopefully with some successful surgeries in the off-season Briggs and Cogs can have uninterrupted years.

As long as players like Hogan, Green, Buckley, Taylor etc don't drop off and keep form we'll be fine next year
Cadman building nicely! Looked like he was going to take the game away early

I remember saying on here at the end of last year, I was concerned Kingsley was content going into this season with the same list (other than draft picks) as it never works for contenders, you need to bring in mature talent from other clubs to add to the core when in contention.

Hopefully they do that this off season, there are plenty of good players on other lists seeking opportunity that could add something, heck, even the swans have about 4 or 5 that could potentially be coaxed over to strengthen the list.
Interested to know who you think may be available that will help?

I remember saying on here at the end of last year, I was concerned Kingsley was content going into this season with the same list (other than draft picks) as it never works for contenders, you need to bring in mature talent from other clubs to add to the core when in contention.

Hopefully they do that this off season, there are plenty of good players on other lists seeking opportunity that could add something, heck, even the swans have about 4 or 5 that could potentially be coaxed over to strengthen the list.
Agree, I think we were only team in the top.8 not to add outside the draft

We can’t be doing the same

ALL i can say Brisbane stole the game especially that umpire who gave Daniher a free kick. He should never umpire another AFL game in my opinion a umpire like that isnt professional in my opinion . GWS player was pushed in back by Joe deliberately on the ball that made him hit the ball. I say half blind man could see it. People may say GWS lost it but that was a defining moment .

Also need to consider that Pez likely gone, Cumming good chance of going, Peatling also a chance of going

A lot of holes to plug if we don’t see the rebound from those guys and those long term contracts do not give us a huge amount of flexibility to bring more bodies in other than through the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back