Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Very underrated player was Lyon, one of my favourites back in the day.

Mostly I remember that goal he kicked against the Roos at Princes Park for a one point win in 1991 (92?). Amazing game. 40+ goals. We'd led all day but looked like we'd run out of puff before that last minute goal.

I believe the gentlemen to the left might have had a few Brownlow votes that day.

A few stats for the off-season

Last season our top for:

Goal assists: Allen Christensen (17) - top was Tom Lynch (26)
Bounces: Lewis Taylor (26) - top was Heath Shaw (92)
One percenters: Justin Clarke (138) - top was Alex Rance (203)
Marks inside 50: Daniel McStay (24) - top was Josh Kennedy (101)
Contested marks: Daniel McStay (23) - top was Tom Lynch (51)
Uncontested possessions: Lewis Taylor (344) - top was Andrew Gaff (537)
Contested possessions: Dayne Beams (213) - top was Josh Kennedy (393)
Free Against: tie between Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson (35) - top was Nat Fyfe (43)
Free For: no surprise Allen Christensen (57) - top was, no surprise, Joel Selwood (64)
Clangers: Stefan Martin (78) - top was Josh Kennedy (93)
Clearances: Dayne Beams (104) - top was Matt Priddis (183)
Inside 50s: Mitch Robinson (77) - top was Danyle Pearce (122)
Rebound 50s: Marco Paparone (79) - top was Heath Shaw (163)
Tackles: Mitch Robinson (142) - top was Matt Priddis (176)
Disposals: Dayne Zorko (505) - top was Sam Mitchell (748)

How did Puopolo go in the frees for stats? Loved his head high tackling free work. Got the best out of himself this year I reckon.
A few stats for the off-season

Last season our top for:

Goal assists: Allen Christensen (17) - top was Tom Lynch (26)
Bounces: Lewis Taylor (26) - top was Heath Shaw (92)
One percenters: Justin Clarke (138) - top was Alex Rance (203)
Marks inside 50: Daniel McStay (24) - top was Josh Kennedy (101)
Contested marks: Daniel McStay (23) - top was Tom Lynch (51)
Uncontested possessions: Lewis Taylor (344) - top was Andrew Gaff (537)
Contested possessions: Dayne Beams (213) - top was Josh Kennedy (393)
Free Against: tie between Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson (35) - top was Nat Fyfe (43)
Free For: no surprise Allen Christensen (57) - top was, no surprise, Joel Selwood (64)
Clangers: Stefan Martin (78) - top was Josh Kennedy (93)
Clearances: Dayne Beams (104) - top was Matt Priddis (183)
Inside 50s: Mitch Robinson (77) - top was Danyle Pearce (122)
Rebound 50s: Marco Paparone (79) - top was Heath Shaw (163)
Tackles: Mitch Robinson (142) - top was Matt Priddis (176)
Disposals: Dayne Zorko (505) - top was Sam Mitchell (748)

Was Paul Puopolo in the mix for frees for? Loved his work again this year. Makes the most of his small stature like Christensen.

I love the language that has built up around footy, if you can call it that. This quote from the Swan Districts coach about a potential mature age recruit is a gem:
"The biggest thing is that his decision making, especially by foot, has gone to another level".
Smartest feet in the game.

Last edited:
It's History month on fox footy and they're going to be playing a few of the games from our three peat era beginning monday. Should be good. :D

4:30am - 2001 Round 9, Brisbane v Adelaide
7:30am - 2002 Round 8, Brisbane v Collingwood
4:00pm - 2003 Preliminary final, Brisbane v Sydney
6:30pm - 2003 Grand Final, Brisbane v Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I respect Hawthorn and have mothing against them watching last night just shows me that our 3 peat team would flog the current Hawks team.

How good is seeing the 2003 GF again.....and OMG, that chant!!:D

god, they were champs, every last one of them:hearts:
yes would love to be there again on GF day, at least once more before the inevitable. nothing beats that lions chant when we are up and going in september or even the first week in october would be pretty good too.

Last edited:
Was watching them last night and this morning. My god Mal Michael was a beast, he just didn't get beaten one on one. Him vs Lynch at training must have been like a WWF wrestling match the whole time.

Should have been AA at least once:( Personally I would take him over Josh Gibson.

hi. hope this is the right forum for this. i put a posting on the scandals and rumors board this morning on the subject of leigh matthews. it was not offensive or abusive in any way. it was a little sarcastic comment on the truth and reliability of this thread. it has since been deleted with no explanation, is this normal? first time it has happened to me. roylion even gave me a like for the post.

hi. hope this is the right forum for this. i put a posting on the scandals and rumors board this morning on the subject of leigh matthews. it was not offensive or abusive in any way. it was a little sarcastic comment on the truth and reliability of this thread. it has since been deleted with no explanation, is this normal? first time it has happened to me. roylion even gave me a like for the post.

Mods on this board don't have much visibility into how other boards are moderated. Your best bet is to PM a moderator of that board - the list can be found via the "Moderator List" button next to the "Watch Forum" button on the board.

The thing I found fascinating was that the three subcontinent teams have done this 96 times since 1957.

Other teams have done it eight times combined.

A massive combination of part-time spinners opening the second innings in home games and not having a second (or even a first) true fast bowling option I guess.

yes would love to be there again on GF day, at least once more before the inevitable. nothing beats that lions chant when we are up and going in september or even the first week in october would be pretty good too.

That was the first time I had watched that 2003 GF replay.......and I saw things in the game I hadn't noticed when it was live and the excitement of another flag.

Hadn't realised the crowd was singing the song 5 mins before the siren, that was goosebump stuff, that and the chant.

...and Aker. What is there left to say about Akers performance. Unreal.

So glad I watched it. Hope I see one again too jason pm, as I suspect I'm a tad older than you are:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back