Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I was surprised when we let Collins go.
To my eye he had a cool head, reasonable skills and a decent footy brain.
One of my mates has been a hardcore Subiaco fan his whole life and his dad the same.

They both said his Grand Final with Peel was one of the most effortless and dominant they'd seen.

One of my mates has been a hardcore Subiaco fan his whole life and his dad the same.

They both said his Grand Final with Peel was one of the most effortless and dominant they'd seen.
At his best with us he looked like he could become a set & forget player.
Keep his man quiet & minimum fuss playing his role.

He’s leading the comp for intercept possessions & will probably get an AA jacket.

At his best with us he looked like he could become a set & forget player.
Keep his man quiet & minimum fuss playing his role.

He’s leading the comp for intercept possessions & will probably get an AA jacket.
No way he should be in the AA team. Pearce and Andrews have been much better all season.

Also can't believe we're still having this discussion? If he hadn't been delisted he would've left for opportunity just like Logue and Hamling. Unless you'd prefer him over Pearce, who should be AA this year, or Cox, who made the AA squad a couple years ago? He's also older than both of them.

I struggle to see why people are upset that we let him go. At best he wins us a couple extra games in 2019 after Pearce goes down? Maybe helps us out in 2020 too -where we still had a top 5 defence and Ryan won an AA in that position. But it also means Cox doesn't get that year as a Key Defender and who knows where that leaves us?

He left because he wasn't good enough, had a year to make himself better, and came back into the league. Were people also sooking when we delisted Menagola and he made an AA squad?

Were people also sooking when we delisted Menagola and he made an AA squad?

Oh, so much sooking.

Not Listening Dumb And Dumber GIF

He left because he wasn't good enough, had a year to make himself better, and came back into the league. Were people also sooking when we delisted Menagola and he made an AA squad?
Yes – it was a heavily discussed topic on this board when Menegola had a great season or two.

It happens to Freo way more than any other club.

No way he should be in the AA team. Pearce and Andrews have been much better all season.

Also can't believe we're still having this discussion? If he hadn't been delisted he would've left for opportunity just like Logue and Hamling. Unless you'd prefer him over Pearce, who should be AA this year, or Cox, who made the AA squad a couple years ago? He's also older than both of them.

I struggle to see why people are upset that we let him go. At best he wins us a couple extra games in 2019 after Pearce goes down? Maybe helps us out in 2020 too -where we still had a top 5 defence and Ryan won an AA in that position. But it also means Cox doesn't get that year as a Key Defender and who knows where that leaves us?

Who’s upset? It’s a discussion thread about former players. He was one I was surprised we let go as to my eye he had talent & he obviously has but, as you say needed a kick in the pants to realize it so happy days.

Menagola was another I didn’t understand, not because I thought he was good but he could outrun anyone & we never even auditioned him. Not once in 2 or 3 seasons when the team could have done with new blood.

Hogan too. I mean I get why & it’s obviously worked out for the best but at the time he was actually fit & we refused to play him. What a waste.

None of these things upset me, I’m just talking shit because that’s what I do here.

Hell I remember arguing the case for keeping Walters when plenty wanted him delisted when sent back to Swans. You win some you lose some. Plenty I got wrong too.

Who’s upset? It’s a discussion thread about former players. He was one I was surprised we let go as to my eye he had talent & he obviously has but, as you say needed a kick in the pants to realize it so happy days.

Menagola was another I didn’t understand, not because I thought he was good but he could outrun anyone & we never even auditioned him. Not once in 2 or 3 seasons when the team could have done with new blood.

Hogan too. I mean I get why & it’s obviously worked out for the best but at the time he was actually fit & we refused to play him. What a waste.

None of these things upset me, I’m just talking shit because that’s what I do here.

Hell I remember arguing the case for keeping Walters when plenty wanted him delisted when sent back to Swans. You win some you lose some. Plenty I got wrong too.
You are more often than not the voice of reason

Look to be fair I only quoted your post because I initially was debating the AA thing but then got carried away. The rest of it was more so directing at those in this thread that like to bag the club for every single list management decision and act like the sky is falling down because we delisted a fringe player 7 years ago.

Look to be fair I only quoted your post because I initially was debating the AA thing but then got carried away. The rest of it was more so directing at those in this thread that like to bag the club for every single list management decision and act like the sky is falling down because we delisted a fringe player 7 years ago.
All good robust discussion 😊
I agree there are other players deserving of AA selection including Pearce but Collins has a fair claim. The most interceptions in the competition & by some way. Ryan & Cox got nods for similar seasons.

All good robust discussion 😊
I agree there are other players deserving of AA selection including Pearce but Collins has a fair claim. The most interceptions in the competition & by some way. Ryan & Cox got nods for similar seasons.
Sam Taylor actually, before getting injured. On a per game basis he's around the same mark as Charlie Comben and Nick Vlaustin. I don't know if that's enough to build an AA case on. Squad, sure. But should definitely not be getting a look in the team over Pearce and Andrews. Especially since Pearce has been doing it alone where Collins has the benefit of having Andrew and Ballard by his side as Key Defenders.

Word from people who seem to know is that Hogan had non-footy things going on that were a great reason to get out of Perth. Which would fit with the whole picture, so… believable IMO.

Sharp, Clarke and Brodie are all examples of guys who are legit AFL players and didn’t get chances at their first clubs… we’re not the only bunch it happens to!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word from people who seem to know is that Hogan had non-footy things going on that were a great reason to get out of Perth. Which would fit with the whole picture, so… believable IMO.

Sharp, Clarke and Brodie are all examples of guys who are legit AFL players and didn’t get chances at their first clubs… we’re not the only bunch it happens to!!
Hogans problem was his mates and party lifestyle mixed with media attention and personal grief he’s still the same person at gws just has 0 media attention so gets away with it.

For Neale to have more Brownlows than Fyfe wouldn’t be right for mine; he’s nowhere near the player
At his best Fyfe was far and away a better player, but Neale has been incredibly durable and consistent. If Fyfe had got on the field as often as Neale and played in a winning team for as long he'd have 4 Brownlows.

Neale started two years after Fyfe and has played the equivalent of a full season more. Most important ability is availability.

At his best Fyfe was far and away a better player, but Neale has been incredibly durable and consistent. If Fyfe had got on the field as often as Neale and played in a winning team for as long he'd have 4 Brownlows.

Neale started two years after Fyfe and has played the equivalent of a full season more. Most important ability is availability.
"Most important ability is availability" is one of the stupidest sayings in sports.

I mean, I've been available to play for Freo for 20 years but the phone's not rung once.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hogans problem was his mates and party lifestyle mixed with media attention and personal grief he’s still the same person at gws just has 0 media attention so gets away with it.
Wouldn’t they still be testing for drugs in his system? Clubs have been getting into trouble for putting players on the injury list to deal with the three strikes system but he’s been playing consistently

"Most important ability is availability" is one of the stupidest sayings in sports.

I mean, I've been available to play for Freo for 20 years but the phone's not rung once.

It’s really not if you’re only talking about players of AFL quality.

Morabito might have been an all time club great but he was injured for almost his entire career.

David Mundy had on of the most consistent & durable bodies of anyone on our list ever.

So what was the difference? Availability.

It’s really not if you’re only talking about players of AFL quality.

Morabito might have been an all time club great but he was injured for almost his entire career.

David Mundy had on of the most consistent & durable bodies of anyone on our list ever.

So what was the difference? Availability.
Different argument.

Being available to play is not 'the most important' ability like the saying goes. Otherwise Ethan Hughes and James Aish would be two of our most important players.

If it didn't rhyme it would never be regurgitated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back