Freekick Port...Or Lack Of

Who Is Responsible For Our Current Officialdom Issues?

• Bad or Biased Umpiring

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • The League Officials

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Our Discipline

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Our Team Playing For Freekicks But Get Ignored

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Our Brown Paper Bag Is Not As Big Versus The Other Clubs

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Poor Coaching And Strategy

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Jack Watts Hair Cut

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Then there was the one in 2014 (I think) at the SCG where he was pretty quiet in the first half. A ball came into their HFF and Goodes was about 5 metres off the contest. He pushed his opponent into the contest. I can’t think who it was - maybe Jasper. Our player went face first into a contested marking situation and could’ve been a pretty nasty outcome.

The ball spills out and who is there? Goodes, who runs in and kicks his 1st.

Eddie does this as well but with nowhere near the force that happened on this occasion.
Yes that one too, it was Hombsch that he pushed into Impey's path. I wrote about it in the Goodes thread on the BDC board here and cut and pasted tribey's post and screen print.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...gical-discussion.1099158/page-7#post-38853429

I also wrote about the Thomas incident, with a couple of articles quoted here and it was Leigh Matthews who came out after the Thomas incident and said Goodes is a protected species, at the tribunal, because he is a brownlow medalist and double protected because he plays for the swans.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...gical-discussion.1099158/page-7#post-38846582

Last edited:
Then there was the one in 2014 (I think) at the SCG where he was pretty quiet in the first half. A ball came into their HFF and Goodes was about 5 metres off the contest. He pushed his opponent into the contest. I can’t think who it was - maybe Jasper. Our player went face first into a contested marking situation and could’ve been a pretty nasty outcome.

The ball spills out and who is there? Goodes, who runs in and kicks his 1st.

Eddie does this as well but with nowhere near the force that happened on this occasion.

Someone on here has a screen shot of that. Looks damning.

Something fairly dramatic and possibly expensive could do the trick. Needs something that the media talk about for a week and has the afl not wanting to see a repeat of it.
Half the crowd booing the umpire at the same time would do the trick; no way the afl is going to evict that many people it would be a PR disaster (could make international news).

Remember the Western Bulldogs game of 2016?

We received an unusually good run and ended +13 ahead of the Scray, but Matthew Boyd made sure to have a sook to the umps at 3QT and the discrepancy was talked about widely in subsequent days.

It certainly didn’t hurt them come September, either.

That’s how it’s done.
Must have been the only count they lost that year.

Half the crowd booing the umpire at the same time would do the trick; no way the afl is going to evict that many people it would be a PR disaster (could make international news).
So, we just organise a mass Booing at a specific minute aligned to the umpires number... ect, 15 minute mark of each qtr for Nicholls, 3 minute mark for Fisher!

Yeah probably the only reason we got a fair run that day, everybody, afl & umps included, were a bit sick of Brisbane winning it every year. 4 in a row would have made their concessions look a tad generous.
I noticed we got a few home town calls vs brissy rd 1 2018 I think. Fond memories.
I think he was referring to how they kicked up a fuss over having to play against Geelong away in the prelim.

Terry Wallace on SEN earlier this arvo talked about the Free Kicks issue at Perth Stadium and I put this in the game review thread but it fits here. I've added the break per game to my prior post.

He said he usually doesn't talk about umpires effecting the game and say they have caused a change to the result, but he said he has received a few tweets from Port supporters and said that he decided to look up the stats.

At 4 Perth Stadium games Port have played there the last 2 year, the free kick count is Port 56 vs 2 WA teams 108. He conceded that that is a pattern that make fans frustrated. He didn't know what the answer is but he conceded it is an issue. Compare that to the silence from our coach, football manager and club in general!

The figures are as follows with Frees to Port first

WCE
2019 Port win by 42 pts. 14-23 (9)
2018 WCE win by 42 pts 13-30 (17)
Total............................ 27-53 (26)

Freo
2019 Freo win by 21 pts 15-32 (17)
2018 Freo win by 9 pts.. 14-23 (13)
Total........................... 29-55 (26)

Total 56-108 (52)

You've probably got to see a few games live in WA to understand why this is. The crowds here are utterly obsessed with umpiring. They boo and jeer every opposition free kick no matter how legitimate. They call for every conceivable free kick under the sun and get angry when they aren't paid. The rage builds and builds and the crowd gets louder and louder until the umpires relent and start kissing them on the dicks for the remainder of the game. Butters throwing his head back killed us on the weekend for this reason - it gave the crowd something to be enraged about and it turned the umpiring. West Coast are worse but it has infected Freo's crowd too.

The overarching problem is the greyness of the rules. There's so many potential free kicks, so many potential interpretations. It's just impossible. That's why Richo's noise of affirmation is a great call. The noise just wears down the umpires and convinces them that they've seen a free kick where otherwise they might call play on.

You've probably got to see a few games live in WA to understand why this is. The crowds here are utterly obsessed with umpiring. They boo and jeer every opposition free kick no matter how legitimate. They call for every conceivable free kick under the sun and get angry when they aren't paid. The rage builds and builds and the crowd gets louder and louder until the umpires relent and start kissing them on the dicks for the remainder of the game. Butters throwing his head back killed us on the weekend for this reason - it gave the crowd something to be enraged about and it turned the umpiring. West Coast are worse but it has infected Freo's crowd too.

The overarching problem is the greyness of the rules. There's so many potential free kicks, so many potential interpretations. It's just impossible. That's why Richo's noise of affirmation is a great call. The noise just wears down the umpires and convinces them that they've seen a free kick where otherwise they might call play on.
What I don’t get then is why our vocal crowds don’t have the same effect at home. When we protest it just seems to make them even less likely to give us the rub of the green.

What I don’t get then is why our vocal crowds don’t have the same effect at home. When we protest it just seems to make them even less likely to give us the rub of the green.

We don't protest anywhere near enough. We only call for legitimate free kicks, we don't boo perfectly legitimate free kicks given to the opposition. And we only start getting on the umpires' back after they've already screwed us over rather than before as the WA crowds do.

No, but I do think the AFL contrives to achieve results. ......

It's also not really a conspiracy, it's just business. That's what businesses do; tip things in their favour to maximise revenue.
This is how I see it also.

I doubt you'd find a single AFL employee that has "ensure a fair and equitable competition" or similar as one of their KPIs but you'd find plenty that have KPIs related to increasing revenue and or profits.

We don't protest anywhere near enough. We only call for legitimate free kicks, we don't boo perfectly legitimate free kicks given to the opposition. And we only start getting on the umpires' back after they've already screwed us over rather than before as the WA crowds do.
Didn't the Goodes boo-athon in 2013 start with a WCE game at Subi?? Let me do a quick search.

Nope, looks like it was the last straw game in Perth in late July 2015 and he then took a week off.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-27/adam-goodes-booing-racist-gerard-whateley/6650646

Yep squeaky wheel gets the grease. We need to start a “bald-headed flog” chant on Satdy Night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given you are the WA resident, why has WCE been so much more sucessful than Freo at conning the umpire, given the limited capacity at Subi the average crowds the last 10 years there were only about 2k difference.

One day I will do a similar graph to this since 2014 and see what effect AO has.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ics-explains-free-kick-counts-2017-afl-season
1560848377318.png
DATA: AFLTABLES.COM. INCLUDES ALL REGULAR SEASON GAMES FROM 2000 TO ROUND 2, 2017, INCLUSIVE.

Given you are the WA resident, why has WCE been so much more sucessful than Freo at conning the umpire, given the limited capacity at Subi the average crowds the last 10 years there were only about 2k difference.

One day I will do a similar graph to this since 2014 and see what effect AO has.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ics-explains-free-kick-counts-2017-afl-season
View attachment 694657
DATA: AFLTABLES.COM. INCLUDES ALL REGULAR SEASON GAMES FROM 2000 TO ROUND 2, 2017, INCLUSIVE.

Because Eagles fans are flogs and make a lot more noise about umpiring than even Freo do.

Because Eagles fans are flogs and make a lot more noise about umpiring than even Freo do.
I thought they were both flogs now, after your last post :)

So, basically the same as a Crows crowd?

There's also Ross Lyon's scragging game styles. And because Freo are known for that, they get umpired like they're going to be scrapping and hanging on a lot.

West Coast are known as a team that full of attacking run and moving the ball around. So umpires aren't thinking that West Coast players are going to be doing actions that give away frees. And because West Coast is a team that moves the ball on and attacks, well their opponents are clearly going to be hanging onto them in order to stop their run.

It’s immensely frustrating that one of the few times we publicly call out the umpiring (Jenkins poster in the showdown), not only do we get the usual “nothing to see here” from the AFL umpiring department, but the CEO of the AFL decides to criticise Hinkley for his remarks as well.

Yet this year botched score reviews are suddenly being acknowledged as errors.

Personally I’d have a video analyst collate plenty of footage about those 50-50 calls that seem to only go one way, and would be frequently sending footage to the umpiring department and asking for answers on every suspect decision.

View attachment 694657

I remember seeing this when it was published and was shocked, but then when you consider we won more games than any other football club for seven seasons of that span (2001-07) with Football Park an absolute graveyard for certain opponents regardless (Melbourne, WCE, Essendon, St Kilda), you’d think the numbers would skew north almost by default.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freekick Port...Or Lack Of

Back