Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

That's literally impossible. You're on better drugs than Cuz.
Oh my God, forgive us for not joining the circle jerk. Reid’s a good player and will be better, but being good or great doesn’t excuse him being a w***er. Can you guys just lick your wounds on your own board? It’s pretty pathetic that this is all you guys are getting up and about for.

Anyway, Dirty Bird.

Loved the booing, last night was the most fun I'd had watching a derby in years. Nothing like a good pantomime villain to spice things up.

Serong is a jet - not sure why Culley was standing him for much of the second half, way too nimble and rightly put us to the sword.

Treacy and Waterman both up there for most improved players in the competition I reckon. Frederick continues to be widely underrated too imo.

Feels like it's any of yours, Sydney's or Brisbane's to win at this stage (and keep out of Victorian hands). Good luck for the rest of the season.

It would have to be the umpire. The crowd went berserk at that decision. Absolutely ludicrous as Fyfe clearly had not heard the whistle and then pulled up with every player around him holding their hands up. There were two back to back tackles with Eagles players being caught and the volume was through the roof with "ball" calls. Would be called back 99% of the time, but the umpire made an error.
Haven’t watched the replay but at the game it looked like the further umpire called advantage and the closer one waited a couple of seconds before echoing that. I initially thought the closer one wanted to call it back but then he went along with his mate

I thought Cox was back to near his best tonight, intercept marks and some big pack spoils, needed it with Pearce out. I was concerned in the first half, but there was a point early in the third where there was some stoppages near our goals and we scored a point, and when they showed the kick out there seemed to be about 10 Eagles players taking ages to get out of the area. They looked cooked, I thought we were good to run over them then.
And on Reid, he does come across on the field as a bit of a dick, but there was a lot of respect after the game both ways it seemed. He is a bloody good player, I just hope he stagnates and doesn’t become a generational player for them!

Thought this was definitely one of Draper better games. Had a lot more run which we needed with Pearce out. Probably not his best efforts defensively but not awful either.

Walker I thought was superb. When he backs himself in to run he makes things happen. Our speed off half back is such a weapon.

But seriously, as much as I dislike Reid, after last night I'm in agreeance with those saying he has almost singlehandedly brought the spite back into the derbies.

That was the best derby for a long, long time. Might even make it worth him staying around at the eagles if they're all going to be like that from now on.

You think that was a great win ?

Horrible early and I’m 95% sure if we are as sloppy and soft in the clinches for the first 45 minutes of the game as last night that’s a bad loss against any team in the top 12 bar maybe Bombers

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Worst take I've ever seen. GJ for getting a reaction. Unless you're serious of course, in that case it is confirmed you are a footy nuffie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But seriously, as much as I dislike Reid, after last night I'm in agreeance with those saying he has almost singlehandedly brought the spite back into the derbies.

That was the best derby for a long, long time. Might even make it worth him staying around at the eagles if they're all going to be like that from now on.
Yup, can’t argue with that. This is the first Derby that’s had the Derby feel in forever. Best crowd I’ve been apart of all year. Was electric when he gave away that free in front of goal.

Worst take I've ever seen. GJ for getting a reaction. Unless you're serious of course, in that case it is confirmed you are a footy nuffie.

I don't believe that guy is actually a Freo supporter. A lot of their posts are very suss.

I’m not a fan how cockiness has become synonymous with personality in AFL discourse these days. Every time there’s a player that thinks he’s gods gift to Earth there’s always talk that “this is good for the game, we need more players with personality.’

Because apparently any player with an ounce of humility lacks personality.
I prefer personality in depth.
Weve got lots of players showing that.
Its the difference between Humility(an asset) and Hubris (a disability).

A couple of Q3 highlights a west coast player got kicked in the face by his own team mate, or maybe a ball not the boot , but it looked bad and Bailey Banfield gives him a little friendly pat on the ground like you will OK. Then Fyfe playing on like a headless chook in the forward fifty and JL going ballistic and throwing the phone maybe on the ground. I think that JL moment really highlighted how intense Derby get sometimes.
How is it not obvious that our guys didn't hear the whistle? I thought the umpire was a flipping moron and should have realised that the crowd was so loud at that moment that none of our players actually realised a free had been paid.

Reid is a star, imagine when he gets a full pre season. He's frightening.
Problem is after Yeo, and him they drop off.
Kelly is a one way player, and they don't have the depth.
If Hewitt & Culley etc get a run at it, they will be better.
Ginbey was ok too, last night.
Our midfield is definitely one of the strongest in the league

No, but it is fun when those players get humbled. I just don’t think you can have both things at the same time. If you wanna talk yourself up and give it to the oppo then you need to be prepared for the backlash you’ll get. Ballantyne was like that, but I don’t think anyone was as upset as eagles fans were tonight when oppo fans booed him.

Same with Ginnivan. If you dish it out you’ve got to take it.
Young Harley will get whats coming to him.
If he can learn he can become a great player.
Possibly not as an Eagle

How is it not obvious that our guys didn't hear the whistle? I thought the umpire was a flipping moron and should have realised that the crowd was so loud at that moment that none of our players actually realised a free had been paid.
Yep, JLo didn’t throw the phone away because of Fyfe, it was 100% aimed at the umpire

You think that was a great win ?

Horrible early and I’m 95% sure if we are as sloppy and soft in the clinches for the first 45 minutes of the game as last night that’s a bad loss against any team in the top 12 bar maybe Bombers

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Seriously some people comment like the opposition aren’t even trying or haven’t planned all week to compete.
This could have gone the same way as the first meeting this year, it’s a great win because we learnt from that, stood up to the physical contact, gave it back & played strong composed football to get the job done.

Don't mind the on-field malice towards Reid here but leave out all the 'off-field issues' nonsense where there's nothing substantial to it.

It's narrative-building, gossipy sniping and our supporter base should be better than that - I read countless posts from Oppo fans over the years stating that Ballantyne was 'scum on and off the field'. Nothing in it, he's a horse loving larrakin. Just say something often enough and it must be true right?

Get a grip.

Yes, after almost 10 years with the Derby rivalry almost being on life support for one reason or another (with possibly only Michael Johnson and Luke Ryan lining up and flattening Andrew Gaff in 2018 after the Brayshaw incident being the sole reminder), last night's game really did wind the clock back in a really refreshing way to the Worsfold / Connolly and Harvey eras where the two teams clearly hated one another and we always seemed to be the perennial spoke in the Eagles' wheel no matter what the ladder positions said. Except this time, for most of the first half, the reverse applied.

For all that, I was quite calm about the bluenyellah onslaught because I felt all we had to do was stick with them and they wouldn't be able to sustain it. I didn't think they'd fold like a cheap deckchair in the third the way they did, but the second half was generally pleasing in that way. I do have to give props to Jaeger O'Meara for kicking his goals when he did, just to stop the feeling the match was getting away from us.

In fact, goal kicking generally was on point from both teams. I have despaired for years that we really don't have accurate and reliable kicks from long distance the way we once did aside from Treacy - but to see the likes of Serong, Emmett and Switkowski (none of whom I have much confidence in beyond 40m) dob them from 50 quite easily made me feel a bit better.

I completely missed JL throwing the phone to the floor in the general confusion in the crowd about Fyfe "taking advantage" when all players had essentially stopped, but for someone normally quite controlled it was actually great to see the passion of the occasion. The umpiring wasn't terrible I have to say, and they did let a lot of the niggle go both ways and were generally consistent about their decisions; thank God Margetts has well and truly been washed out of the system in that regard!

I thought Sharp and especially Chapman had poor games, although both did do some good things. Chappy's form has concerningly been steadily growing worse to me over the last couple of months - for someone whose early wraps were as a calm and collected iceman, he did resemble a headless chicken too many times last night and that "kick" to Draper 15m out was one of our worst pieces of defensive play of the year. I have faith that he can turn it around, but he'll need to leading into finals.

As for Harley Reid? He does seem to have an enormous ego for a first year player, that's for sure, and plays too selfishly for his own good most of the time. But he is clearly a talented footballer who seems set to have a big career in prospect, and his amiable chats with our players after the final siren does show he enjoys the competition...I look forward to the days when I can watch him do his thing with another team, which probably will be relatively soon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back