Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved seeing Emmett thank Harley for the Switta goal and also for his outstanding Jack Darling flying flop routine

Just getting a chance to watch now, only in Q2 and maybe I am being a bit sensitive but seems likes several 50's missed and lots of contact being made after disposal, players getting flattered, whacked or tackled after marking or disposing of the ball. Have I lost my mind or is that normally often a free kick?

Anyway looking forward to the second half haha :)

Just getting a chance to watch now, maybe I am being a bit sensitive but seems likes several 50's missed and lots of contact being made after disposal, players getting flattered or tackled after marking or disposing of the ball.

All valid

Umps lost control early and whenever they tried correcting it, it would be for a call that both sides were questioning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's be clear Harely is not 'good for the game'. Demonstrate to me he is getting one extra eye on tv or a new fan through the turnstiles I might reconsider. No, what he is getting is a greater part of the total attention whilst he flaps around and sooks and carries the ball too much, disadvantaging team as often as not.

To me it's symptomatic (which tbf is not his fault) of a cult of the individual and their narrative that seems to have come back into fashion globally recently. Like Ronaldo strolling around spudding it up for Portugal because he's cooked, but he can't even be told not to take the free kicks, let alone be dropped, because his fame and the focus on him has taken on a life of its own.

Also this 'he's just a kid' argument can get in the bin. A large percentage of the players out there are just kids and they don't behave the way he does. He does it because that's what he's like. A large part of me hopes he never gets over it, as if and when he does he really will become the best.

Great crowd turn out, well done all

Loud for the most part (eagles fans were loud early also which was annoying)

But a few $ in our coffers and a boost to our avg. home ground attendance

Last games against Cats and Port

Cats you'd expect have a following here so we should see another 45k, and we should see the same against port, especially if we are pushing for a finals spot

Just getting a chance to watch now, only in Q2 and maybe I am being a bit sensitive but seems likes several 50's missed and lots of contact being made after disposal, players getting flattered, whacked or tackled after marking or disposing of the ball. Have I lost my mind or is that normally often a free kick?

There should have been heaps of them both ways but luckily the umpires let it play out

Great crowd turn out, well done all

Loud for the most part (eagles fans were loud early also which was annoying)

But a few $ in our coffers and a boost to our avg. home ground attendance

Last games against Cats and Port

Cats you'd expect have a following here so we should see another 45k, and we should see the same against port, especially if we are pushing for a finals spot

On this

Way too many Eagles supporters in attendance for my liking

How do we quell this next home game?

Let's be clear Harely is not 'good for the game'. Demonstrate to me he is getting one extra eye on tv or a new fan through the turnstiles I might reconsider. No, what he is getting is a greater part of the total attention whilst he flaps around and sooks and carries the ball too much, disadvantaging team as often as not.

To me it's symptomatic (which tbf is not his fault) of a cult of the individual and their narrative that seems to have come back into fashion globally recently. Like Ronaldo strolling around spudding it up for Portugal because he's cooked, but he can't even be told not to take the free kicks, let alone be dropped, because his fame and the focus on him has taken on a life of its own.

Also this 'he's just a kid' argument can get in the bin. A large percentage of the players out there are just kids and they don't behave the way he does. He does it because that's what he's like. A large part of me hopes he never gets over it, as if and when he does he really will become the best.
Well said
Your comment on the “ cult of the individual “ is spot on

Unfortunately it’s a by-product of breeding sheep following masses over many generations and is only going to get worse

Anyway
Back to the footy

“ How good is this !”

Might go have a little wander on the WC board to see how they are holding up

Im a bit dirty on Bailey Williams for that elbow to Treacys throat.

Good thing Brayshaw, Serong and Jackson flew straight over and flattened him.

That guy is a grub. Scuffles are one thing but taking the opportunity to lay your elbow into the neck of someone lying on the ground and defenseless is low. Absolute ****wit. Reading around the traps it seems some Eagles fans don't like him either. It's like he has small man syndrome even as a big man, probably because he's shit.

On this

Way too many Eagles supporters in attendance for my liking

How do we quell this next home game?
Having the seats filled with members rather than available for purchase? I know it says we have 61000 but take out the 3 gamers and that leaves quite a few seats.

There is always going to be at least 8000/10000 unfortunately as you'd figure 80% of the Optus Stadium Members are Eagles fans, then you have factor in the Freagles.

We should however be able to concentrate them into certain sectors rather than having them annoyingly scattered about.

Some thoughts:
  • Draper, Chapman and Walker all had some outstanding counterattacking runs at times that in the end helped a lot in terms of our win, but also made a number of mistakes as well and let their opponents hurt us on the scoreboard. I am sure JLo will accept the mistakes but if we can tidy it up just a little bit more then watch out. I was particularly impressed with some of Draper's ball movement; I have always felt like he could be more than an annoyance on the counterattack but it is now actually starting to show.
  • As others have said, Brayshaw is now probably playing better than in 2022; this form is coming right at the right time. Serong has been consistent, but Young also smashed the game our way in the third quarter but was quiet the rest of the time. I am sure he is not happy with it, but Fyfe with 18 possessions in 3 quarters playing as a run with player is a good return at this stage.
  • Jackson was almost there so many times during the night but didn't make it. He did however stand up ruckwise when Darcy was looking a bit proppy early on after getting whacked in the head a few times.
  • People like to write off Emmett (particularly with respect to his skills) but his willpower against the flow of tide is something to behold at times.
  • The 60m+ goal from Treacy will make a few defenders think again...
I know he's got to tidy up some defensive stuff (particularly in his current role), but some of the things Draper did with the ball, stepping traffic and taking options, were crazy good for a 20 year old playing KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having the seats filled with members rather than available for purchase? I know it says we have 61000 but take out the 3 gamers and that leaves quite a few seats.

There is always going to be at least 8000/10000 unfortunately as you'd figure 80% of the Optus Stadium Members are Eagles fans, then you have factor in the Freagles.

We should however be able to concentrate them into certain sectors rather than having them annoyingly scattered about.
Spot on
The club should give out discount tickets or something to Freo non member supporters leading up to the game

Pardon my country hick ignorance but does an Optus Stadium Membership ( can go to any event , cricket , music etc) have priority over a Dockers membership?

Not sure how that all works ?

Absolute garbage sorry, he did a few media focused little snaps, none of it was genuine and the bloke is a total shitbag.
Reid is scum, never shows any true respect to anyone, legitamtely reckons he has already won a Brownlow, and has multiple off field issues already as not even a 24 year old.

Reid lives for himself, always has and shows nothing but derision and deliberate soft off the ball hits and whinges when he doesn't get his way. He's scum morally, could win 27 Brownlows and will still be the same morally repugnant scum he was at victorian school level.

Reidy put one through your missus mate?

A couple of Q3 highlights a west coast player got kicked in the face by his own team mate, or maybe a ball not the boot , but it looked bad and Bailey Banfield gives him a little friendly pat on the ground like you will OK. Then Fyfe playing on like a headless chook in the forward fifty and JL going ballistic and throwing the phone maybe on the ground. I think that JL moment really highlighted how intense Derby get sometimes.

It would have to be the umpire. The crowd went berserk at that decision. Absolutely ludicrous as Fyfe clearly had not heard the whistle and then pulled up with every player around him holding their hands up. There were two back to back tackles with Eagles players being caught and the volume was through the roof with "ball" calls. Would be called back 99% of the time, but the umpire made an error.
It's pretty clear the rule is broken.

It's arguable it even cost the Lions a flag last season.

2 weeks ago a Cats player got called for a throw for passing it back to his teammate.

But of course the AFL has done jack shit about it.

It's pretty clear the rule is broken.

It's arguable it even cost the Lions a flag last season.

2 weeks ago a Cats player got called for a throw for passing it back to his teammate.

But of course the AFL has done jack shit about it.

yeah shocking, you’d think they’d take a leaf out of any other sport that does advantage properly, but here we are still

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know he's got to tidy up some defensive stuff (particularly in his current role), but some of the things Draper did with the ball, stepping traffic and taking options, were crazy good for a 20 year old playing KPD.
Yeah, he did a lot of the things Moose does; attack the ball, run it out of defense and launch counters. I'd argue he's actually a better Pearce replacement than he is for Cox as it appears to suit his natural game more (see Sydney game for further evidence where he played Pearce's role and Davies played Cox's).

Draper is projecting as a top-echelon KPD , who is developing under some of the best tutelage possible. It stands us in great stead for when Moose moves on (I'd love to see the long-haired beast Captain Tassie after winning a three-peat with us - getting us about 3 first-rounders in the process of course!)

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with some of what you are saying, but I would think Reid does fit the bill for extra eyes and new fans through the gates. Just look at how much we are talking about him. He's box office material. And for all his unlikeable traits, it has definitely added to the excitement of the derby. Whenever he was near the ball and was tackled, the crowd noise climbed considerably with both the boos and anticipation of him being caught holding the ball. While the Eagles fans cheered.

Enemy #1, and it's great to have a proper villain again. What Gaff did on the field was far worse than anything Reid has done, but Gaff doesn't even compare cause he has such a meek and lame persona. I missed a bunch of years being overseas, but I'd have to go back to Kickett punching on with Read for a derby crowd and atmosphere that compared to last night, and a large part of it was due to Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo burn the dirty birds by 35 points in Derby LIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back