Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

If Essendon, Lions, Port and Giants all win, I think we'll be in 7th by the end of the round. 😳
With two points between 2nd and 7th which is nuts. Win the next two and we'll probably be back in the top 4. Absolutely crazy year

We won’t win anything until we learn to handle expectations. That’s why it’s so frustrating for other supporters to be happy with results like these.

I haven’t seen any supporter happy with this result.

Some people are just better at dealing with their emotions after a game of football though.

Some people are just better at dealing with their emotions after a game of football though.
It’s pretty clear the potential ladder position after a win here has upset a lot. There also has to be an understanding that the opposition are wanting the same outcome & there are factors that tilt it one way or the other.
Perhaps a more measured response when we win will even out the emotions on a loss. We didn’t play well overall & some players were off, that happens but our destiny is still in our hands.

It’s pretty clear the potential ladder position after a win here has upset a lot. There also has to be an understanding that the opposition are wanting the same outcome & there are factors that tilt it one way or the other.
Perhaps a more measured response when we win will even out the emotions on a loss. We didn’t play well overall & some players were off, that happens but our destiny is still in our hands.
Darcy /Jackson combo is a critical piece that pushes us into top tier.
Darcy beats Meek, gives us first use.
Jackson free to Havoc.
Without that we drop a rung.
Six to go, can end up somewhere between #2 and #8....
I like #2.

Last edited:

Don't think the situation has changed that much because of this loss. We have to win our home games and win one of the away games against GWS or Essendon. I think that would be a Top 2 finish, but we will also miss the finals if we go less than 50/50 in the last 6 games.

If Essendon, Lions, Port and Giants all win, I think we'll be in 7th by the end of the round. 😳
Carlton have lost, Essendon could lose (Melb currently in front), and after a hissie fit from their coach the Suns may well flatten Port tomorrow.

That just leaves Eagles to down Brisbane. Bear in mind Darling being dropped has sent a strong message to the players that they need to play better or they’re out.

If it all goes according to plan we get to stay in fourth position for a week at least.

i just realised who we (fans) currently remind me of after a loss:

Carlton Fc Celebration GIF by Carlton Football Club

Don't think the situation has changed that much because of this loss. We have to win our home games and win one of the away games against GWS or Essendon. I think that would be a Top 2 finish, but we will also miss the finals if we go less than 50/50 in the last 6 games.

I have been saying I don't think anyone was winning out prior to this round. I think we will win at home and take one away. And that is a massive improvement on last season.

Just got back from the drive home.
Disappointed. Expected. Typical.
My takeaways from being there.
We need a small crumbing forward more than we need Warner. We havve nothing once the ball hits the ground.
The club unfortunately needs to sit Walters down and tell him that he won't be getting picked next year. Give him the opportunity to retire.
WTF did Jackson keep jumping before the ball was coming down? He never looked competitive. Checked the stats after the game and you would think he was BOG, but clearly wasn't. Weird.
Freddy can not stick a tackle and it's a problem. Like, a big problem.
Would be interested I how many set shots we missed. That is also a big problem. We convert, we win.
Voss had a pretty good 1st game I reckon.
Treacy was well held.
Players at times seemed to be trying too hard. Running under the ball when marking, slipping over.
Just your typical Freo loss, when a win would've been absolutely massive. We've done this since forever unfortunately.

But think of the crowds!
Sorry to intrude, you are spot on. I am West Australian and I faxed (hahah) the AFL footy department asking the same question and that is "Why is it that the WA clubs have to travel to Tassie, that is bollocks". I received a letter back form them, probably for my cunning fax idea, The Fat Boy replied that it is revenue and crowds. Playing two Vic clubs in Tassie doesn't maximise the turn-stiles. It sucks bawls!
Don't worry about us being young, your team is young too and I am loving their work, this is a blip which I reckon is based upon that travel. Good luck for the rest of the year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's got nothing to do with emotions.

I was at the Carlton and Doggies game tonight and a 65 year old bloke (Blues supporter) tried fighting some young bloke (Bullies) because he was 'standing up too much.' this silly old git was swearing, ranting, raving, literally ready for a fight and making a total tool of himself.

That's not controlling your emotion.

Freo have dished up cowardly, lily livered losses for its entire history. there's no reason the team should have lost today. Hawks are an okay team but that's only in comparison to the expectations everyone has on them – there's ten teams better than them and three or four miles and miles ahead. Launceston is a shit excuse; we've played there yearly for two decades.

It's not reactive and it's not sooking, seriously, this is becoming a total joke. accepting these setbacks is pathetic. when's it going to end?

Just got back from the drive home.
Disappointed. Expected. Typical.
My takeaways from being there.
We need a small crumbing forward more than we need Warner. We havve nothing once the ball hits the ground.
The club unfortunately needs to sit Walters down and tell him that he won't be getting picked next year. Give him the opportunity to retire.
WTF did Jackson keep jumping before the ball was coming down? He never looked competitive. Checked the stats after the game and you would think he was BOG, but clearly wasn't. Weird.
Freddy can not stick a tackle and it's a problem. Like, a big problem.
Would be interested I how many set shots we missed. That is also a big problem. We convert, we win.
Voss had a pretty good 1st game I reckon.
Treacy was well held.
Players at times seemed to be trying too hard. Running under the ball when marking, slipping over.
Just your typical Freo loss, when a win would've been absolutely massive. We've done this since forever unfortunately.
Frederick is absolute ratshit. he's a headless chook with the ball and clueless without it.

Been saying it for years. he was a novelty act but he's never been a footballer.

Brandon Walker will be the next to get worked out. he's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen, just no awareness and no understanding.

Numbnut supporters just like them because...

Frederick is absolute ratshit. he's a headless chook with the ball and clueless without it.

Been saying it for years. he was a novelty act but he's never been a footballer.

Brandon Walker will be the next to get worked out. he's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen, just no awareness and no understanding.

Interested Go On GIF by reactionseditor

It's got nothing to do with emotions.

I was at the Carlton and Doggies game tonight and a 65 year old bloke (Blues supporter) tried fighting some young bloke (Bullies) because he was 'standing up too much.' this silly old git was swearing, ranting, raving, literally ready for a fight and making a total tool of himself.

That's not controlling your emotion.

Freo have dished up cowardly, lily livered losses for its entire history. there's no reason the team should have lost today. Hawks are an okay team but that's only in comparison to the expectations everyone has on them – there's ten teams better than them and three or four miles and miles ahead. Launceston is a shit excuse; we've played there yearly for two decades.

It's not reactive and it's not sooking, seriously, this is becoming a total joke. accepting these setbacks is pathetic. when's it going to end?

You're right! We just all need to get fired up on a message board and call people pathetic, weak and quitters if they don't get as fired up as you as well.

And then everyone knows the combined clicking on our keyboards as we do this will make the team play better.

I'm so sorry that it has taken all these decades on Big Footy for me to work this out.

Think you need to cool off mate. You're talking about people who are doing the best they can. Criticise the performance, not the person.

Frederick is all class by foot when he gets it. Reliable set shot and usually finishes well when crumbing. Rare missed snap today. He just doesn't get it enough. His tackling has been bad recently I'll give you that but did you see how bad the forward line looked when he was injured earlier in the year?

Walker is one of the best small defenders going around. Just makes 1 or 2 bad errors a game which is all anyone seems to focus on yet they love Wagner who turns it over more than he doesn't. Walker hasn't played 60 games yet...

Freo have dished up cowardly, lily livered losses for its entire history. there's no reason the team should have lost today.
& there’s no reason why Sydney should have lost to us 2 weeks ago, footballs not played on paper. You can’t seriously tell me you’ve played competitive football & can say there’s no reason why we should have lost today?

If you haven’t go down to your nearest club & volunteer & see the work that any club needs to put in to win a game of footy, the other team is working just as hard to do the same thing.

There’s plenty of reasons why we could have lost today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back