Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved absolutely everything about that game.
Threw some punches early.
Held in the 2nd quarter (can’t keep going break neck speed)
Tried to throw punches in 3rd quarter. Landed a few but Swans were just super efficient.
4th quarter was just contest after contest.

Fyfe in close gave out heaps of quick handballs and just got the ball moving. Super impressive game in a different role.
Fyfe was huge especially in the last quarter when it looked like the dam would burst.

His composure in the tight contests kept the ball moving to our advantage.

Brayshaw was also instrumental when it mattered most.

Sydney's talls by all rights, should have eaten our back line alive.

Well done to JLo for going in with an aggressive game plan rather than turtling up to try and stem the probable bleeding. We backed our midfield and forward skills in for a win instead of trying to control how badly we were going to lose. How nice it is to be dangerous up forward :thumbsu: Plus a shout out for a great team defence - and Draper, take a bow.

Just a little prayer to the Footy Gods, oh mighty Footy Gods, I beseech thee... Pearce and Cox back in with a few games for match fitness before the finals please, please, please!

I swear about half of Sydney's goals were on Davies or were as a result of a Davies clanger. Big ask for a second gamer. We have Pearce or Cox there instead, or even Hughes and I think it's am much more comfortable win. The fact that we were able to come away with the win despite that is massive.
Thought Davies was solid. Competed hard. Crashed McLean a few times. Allowed Ryan to roam.
He can only progress and learn

I would have brought in Hughes this week, but was pleasantly surprised they backed youth and went with Draper. Last quarter was easily the best football he’s played. Thought he had some shaky moments in the first half, as the others did too when rotated through McLean, but he stood up when it counted most.

I thought Davies did his job for the most part too. Other than that one kick. I’d have no problem keeping him in Cox isn’t quite ready.

I’m mostly just happy that we’ve finally backed Sturt in.

Not sure if we needed a mid as sub. We were certainly out of legs again. Aish because of the young backline but would like to see us add run and zip later on.
Aish was the right call tbh. A back man struggles, he goes there. A midfielder, he fits in

Wagner was great all day.

Should have never got to a stoppage. 3 short kicks out from the point and it’s done.
We lost most of those last 1/4 long kick stoppages.
Thank god Logan chocked.
Hate the kick ins going to the middle side of the wing, rather not get it close to the boundary. It’s a safe option opposed to a turnover in the corridor which opens up the forward line

Yep. Hopefully people start to realise Darcy's impact in negating the opposition ruck while still winning it himself. We are a miles better side when he rucks.
I couldn't agree more.

A fit Darcy is imperative for us.

He is obviously not your mobile ruckman like Dogga but he bang crashes and wears the opposite ruckman down while winning it himself.

Great to to have two types of ruckman to switch up.

Thought Davies was solid. Competed hard. Crashed McLean a few times. Allowed Ryan to roam.
He can only progress and learn
He gave up lots of goals and was allowing his man to run and jump and mark. I thought he was one of our worst today, but overall the backline did a good job with him in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of us always believed in him, including yourself too, and it’s so good to see him flourishing now.

He. Kicks. Goals.

That’s it. He does other good stuff too, but it’s the consistent goals that are so priceless.
Even more so for a team like Fremantle that historically have struggled so much to be a high scoring side.
Plus his courage in backing into packs is inspiring.

He gave up lots of goals and was allowing his man to run and jump and mark. I thought he was one of our worst today, but overall the backline did a good job with him in it.
That’s fair enough. He’s practically the second key defender in his second game. Can’t get too critical and just hope he does the role.

How bloody good was Darcy! He was key to our clearance dominance today. Just dominated Grundy and had him begging for free kicks. I'm surprised how he can tackle much faster players for a big fella. Also everyone loved that roaving goal from him.

Love Paps as a commentator, but was anyone else yelling at their tv that we knocked off Brisbane when he kept saying we hadn’t beaten anyone in the top 8 🤣

Todays result just goes to show how useless that stat is

It's a stupid stat because because Melbourne were a top 4 team (at least at the start of the round) when we spanked them in Alice Springs.

If people argue they aren't now, if we beat them that's the reason they drop down the ladder.

There might be other examples but that's one I know of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back