Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney on Fyfe at halftime interview: “He’s a tough bugger to match up on”

Isaac, son, that’s Sir Bugger to you. You may be one of the best players in the league currently but you’re talking about dual brownlow footy royalty here mate. Show some respect

That too far call on Sturt was very harsh in the second quarter.
He literally ran less distance than Blakey did when he kicked that goal from 50.

The umpiring yesterdays was embarrassing, I'm staring to come to terms with the fact that this is more of a WWE league.

Not sure if it's been said before but Sturt gives me Jack Gunston vibes (selectively ignoring the GF)

Good size, reliable kick, good in the air, just a hell of a lot quicker
Somewhere in between Gunstan and Breust for me

Davies was not decent by any measure. There's a reason he was subbed off in a game where Sydney had three talls and we had only one other KPD. McLean had 6 contested marks on him. He was very far off it.
He took time to adjust to the reaction time required. Played from behind but was caught at times 4-5 steps behind. Difficult to spoil McLean but he was out marked by Hayward and others. Didn’t provide much assistance as third man up. He will learn from this though.

Watched the game last night. Holy hell. Incredible performance and I am a damn proud Docker today.

I didn't think the commentary was toooooo bad. Thoroughly enjoyed their work whenever Swaggy got involved. And he was immense, the big fella. IMMENSE.

Jye changes up his set-shot routine and kicks straighter. Who'd have thought? Good game, Neville :purpleheart:

Draper... Take a bow. I thought it was our boy MJ back out there at times.

Of course the Round So Far segment on AFL.com highlighted that it was the first top 8 team we've beaten which... Oh my god. STOP IT. Brisbane and the Dogs are right there. In the 8. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

My boy Wagner was very, very good. Gave us so much more drive and speed off of half back. Aish can stay sub a while, for mine. I think we looked far more dynamic without him and I like Aish.

Fyfe was massive in that last quarter. Just a big body who fired out some ridiculously quick handballs and took a couple of strong marks. So good. The last few years it's looked like he's never coming back so to see him out there contributing and not being completely crippled has been a joy. I don't think the most optimistic of us would've thought he'd have played every game so far. Also loved his interview after the game with Mooney. Speaks so well.
Also given the nonsense rumors of disgruntlement after handing over the captaincy last year, just to hear him say 'we managed to win without our skipper' was just kinda lovely.

Tigers next week. Sublime. Should win 3 of the next 4, and maybe all 4 who knows?

Walyalup. Moorditj.

Coaching Kudos
1. Wagner in the backline, Aish sub. Wagner is more direct and decisive.
2. Solid midfield time for Johnson, the more he gets the better he will be.
3. Bigger body (Fyfe) onto Heeney at the stoppages.
4. Mids rotating forward.
5. Walker/Sharp minding Gulden.

When is the rest of the AFL going to realise that you need to shut down Gulden and McInerney to have a shot at beating the Swans?
Swans wingers just carve sides up with delivery inside 50. Excellent effort by Sharp, Walker and O’Meara today to closely check them.

I think I watched a different game to others

Umpiring was bad for both teams , free kicks errors both ways

The commentators were great praising us when we kicked away in firs half . Praising fyfes tagging roll . Praising Darcy work in ruck

The commentators expected Sydney to come back and they did . The swans best players lifted and we geve them too much space in second half

At end of game the commentators said was frei showing they were the real thing

Loved the game , the team as a whole won the game

Saw no bias from umpires , no bad commentators

Loved it well done Justin great coaching to make it work
Holding the ball is a farce on both calls and non calls. It went against us in H2 yesterday. Essendon copped it last night. Dimmer is to blame for the whole sorry situation. Reckon the umpires just aren't sure how to call it now..Sheet soup.

Love Paps as a commentator, but was anyone else yelling at their tv that we knocked off Brisbane when he kept saying we hadn’t beaten anyone in the top 8 🤣

Todays result just goes to show how useless that stat is
Useless stat and there’s also two ways to look at it which really changes the results - top 8 now, or top 8 at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As sweet a win it was against all the odds we still made a couple of critical blunders in the last 45 seconds that could have cost us badly. Firstly Ryan needed to find a target from the kick in rather that just blaze to a pack and its a 50/50. Find an open player 20-30 metres away for a mark and its virtually game over! Secondly from the ensuing boundary throw in how can we not kill the ball in close to the ruck and force a congested situation for another ball up and again game over! We really need to clean up those end of game scenarios as they shouldn't have had the chance for a shot to win the game.

If a player was free we'd play kick to kick and end the game, but the Swans aren't going to let that happen. You could see from the shot behind Ryan on the kick in that they were all manned up.

Of course someone could lead at the right moment, and Ryan could kick a worm-burner in order to get a mark. But that is so high risk when it's 1v1, if it's not a perfect kick the defender gets a fist in and that ball gets turned over for a goal. So even though it's easy to think surely they can find a mark with 0.45 on the clock, the percentage play was still to go long to the boundary.

If a player was free we'd play kick to kick and end the game, but the Swans aren't going to let that happen. You could see from the shot behind Ryan on the kick in that they were all manned up.

Of course someone could lead at the right moment, and Ryan could kick a worm-burner in order to get a mark. But that is so high risk when it's 1v1, if it's not a perfect kick the defender gets a fist in and that ball gets turned over for a goal. So even though it's easy to think surely they can find a mark with 0.45 on the clock, the percentage play was still to go long to the boundary.

The issue was Clark pointing up players for others to pick up while he allowed Blakey to stroll through the stoppage

I'm really happy that this wasn't a Dees style walkover. Reckon we played about as well in both games, the difference was the the Swans responded and the Dees just rolled over and took it.

Learn a lot more from getting challenged than you do smashing witches hats (however fun that is to watch).

And to get another close finish lesson but keep the win is important too.

The issue was Clark pointing up players for others to pick up while he allowed Blakey to stroll through the stoppage

Was it Clark on Blakey at that stoppage? I thought it might've been Banfield.

But it was hard to tell because there were literally no Freo players in camera shot near Blakey at the back of the stoppage, along with another couple of free Swans players.
If Logan McDonald kicks a goal and we lose we'd be going over it ad nauseum.
Great win in the end but that stoppage seemed like a complete breakdown and I'm sure will get a lot of attention in the clubs review.

Was it Clark on Blakey at that stoppage? I thought it might've been Banfield.

But it was hard to tell because there were literally no Freo players in camera shot near Blakey at the back of the stoppage, along with another couple of free Swans players.
If Logan McDonald kicks a goal and we lose we'd be going over it ad nauseum.
Great win in the end but that stoppage seemed like a complete breakdown and I'm sure will get a lot of attention in the clubs review.

There’s a still photo of the stoppage here somewhere.

Our free player at the top of the stoppage is Clark, he’s centre side of Blakey

Sam Sturt has won most fans over. He is slowly justifying freos reasons why we chose him at pick 18 in that 2018 draft.

Some thought he wasn't gonna make it due to lack of chances or injuries or both.

If he is out of contract, hand him a 2 year extension and out of contact in his 8th year as a free agent
It’s a bigger equation. Sturt in has meant Switta is spending decent time on the ball now .
Both Sturt and Switta are playing good football too. JL has recently said the forward line is his ideal set up now
so presumably that’s a reference to Sturt’s efforts along with Hayden Young pushing down there.
Sam Switkowski is playing as good as I’ve seen him play and adding that burst speed on ball that we haven’t had.

• Some of our contest work at the end. How does Blakey run through the stoppage unhindered to snag the ball perfectly out of the air before hitting McDonald at the end? How was there not a body on him? You can see THREE swans uncovered here. Everybody's pointing during that last stoppage but no one is marking up. I don't know crap about footy tactics, but this doesn't look right.

View attachment 2034416
-
6PR interviewed Clark after the game, and he admitted that Blakey was his man at that stoppage. He seemed very relieved that it didn't end up costing them the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back