Freo looking to trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

They can have Duffield as far as I'm concerned. Has been sitting on his banana lounge since he signed his 4 year deal. needs to be pushed out the door.

What? We signed Duffield up for 4 years?

FFS, 4 year deals should be reserved for the Pavs and Sandis of the team. Solid performers like Duffield should be getting 2 year deals, 3 max.

We'll probably offer Johnson a 4 year deal next. :rolleyes:

If you look back at the last couple of years where Freo had the reverse situation with Warnock and Carlton as well as Tarrant and Collingwood it would seem that Freo would be mad to offer any more than a second round draft pick. Maybe haggle over swapping some lower order picks but that's about all. These deals don't get done for first rounders anymore (by that I mean since tweedle dumb and tweedle dee went to Melbourne).

While people say we will do this or hold out for that, the reality is that Clarke is out of contract and Brisbane hold little sway over where he goes. No club is going to draft him if he says he is coming to WA on a $500,000 contract. So it is Brisbane's best interest to reluctantly strike a deal - which one would assume would be about 10 minutes before the close of the draft period.

I would actually prefer for Freo to pursue Harley Bennel who may be interested in coming back to WA. Now I would willingly swap a first rounder for him.

Duff's signed till 2014 - alongside Pavlich, Mundy, Ballantyne, Sandilands, Barlow and Fyfe.

Like I said in another thread - it reminds me of the old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the others..." :thumbsdown:

Though in that song they are all muppets, so there is a key difference.

What would you consider for these players?

Daniel Motlop - Should be free and only 29, former all australian and wants to come to perth. 1 year contract only, if he doesnt work then delist him next year and use the pick in next years strong draft. Could be a 40-50 goal forward.
Concerns: Wont help our forwards press, especially with Pavlich in the forward line.

Surjan - Back Pocket or inside midfielder, when fit will perform the shut down role on small forwards. Will cost us a 2nd or 3rd round.
Concerns: Injury prone.

Pearce - Another run and carry player, has been tagged out of games but at freo they cant tag him, barlow, hill, mundy etc. Would cost about the same as surjan.
Concerns: Cant break tag.

All are upgrades on the worst players on our list, would provide required depth and i think port would consider trades on all three players as they are currently rebuilding.

These three players, along with maybe one -two more would push us towards a premiership with jeopardising Fremantle's long term future.

What would you consider for these players?

Daniel Motlop - Should be free and only 29, former all australian and wants to come to perth. 1 year contract only, if he doesnt work then delist him next year and use the pick in next years strong draft. Could be a 40-50 goal forward.
Concerns: Wont help our forwards press, especially with Pavlich in the forward line.

Surjan - Back Pocket or inside midfielder, when fit will perform the shut down role on small forwards. Will cost us a 2nd or 3rd round.
Concerns: Injury prone.

Pearce - Another run and carry player, has been tagged out of games but at freo they cant tag him, barlow, hill, mundy etc. Would cost about the same as surjan.
Concerns: Cant break tag.

All are upgrades on the worst players on our list, would provide required depth and i think port would consider trades on all three players as they are currently rebuilding.

These three players, along with maybe one -two more would push us towards a premiership with jeopardising Fremantle's long term future.

We would have to consider Pearce. Not sure if Surjan is past it and Motlop well???? think he might have underperformed quite badly through his career, no reason to think it would be any different with us

What? We signed Duffield up for 4 years?

FFS, 4 year deals should be reserved for the Pavs and Sandis of the team. Solid performers like Duffield should be getting 2 year deals, 3 max.

We'll probably offer Johnson a 4 year deal next. :rolleyes:

Seriously, don't even joke about shit like that :mad:

Duffield had been coming off his career best season for us and led the league in Rebound 50, but you're absolutely right that 3 years should be the max for the mid-tier players.

We would have to consider Pearce. Not sure if Surjan is past it and Motlop well???? think he might have underperformed quite badly through his career, no reason to think it would be any different with us

He's been playing the last few weeks as a defender at Port and looked very polished. We are looking for small defenders are we not? If some people can suggest Mayne/Walters as back pockets then I feel comfortable in suggesting Motlop who actually has some expereince down back. :eek:

Could be a smoky if Leon doesn't come to us, his disposal is just as good and he is very good in traffic ala Roger, strong mark also.

He's been playing the last few weeks as a defender at Port and looked very polished. We are looking for small defenders are we not? If some people can suggest Mayne/Walters as back pockets then I feel comfortable in suggesting Motlop who actually has some expereince down back. :eek:

Could be a smoky if Leon doesn't come to us, his disposal is just as good and he is very good in traffic ala Roger, strong mark also.

Wasn't aware. Never heard him mentioned much when I listened to port games. Think Freo considered him a year or two ago, might still be interested, would make a better half back option than walters because he has pace as well as skill. Depends on the price and whether he is committed to playing footy in general and us in particular. Freo recruiting guys will know the answers.

I'd say Pearce would be good. The guy has skills and speed. Simply looks dragged down by the mess at Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we seriously suggesting Motlop?
Have we forgotten him stomping on Sandi's toe earlier in the season?
An incident that seemed to trigger his turf toe issues...
Surely 211 wouldn't be too impressed having him on the same training track :p

If Griffin wants to go to Port those are the names that would be discussed. Motlop has done alright in the backline, and his creativity is something we miss with Hayden being injured/gone, and Mundy moved to midfield. I think Pearce could work too. But they are playing the role we signed Duff to a 4 year deal for.

Are we seriously suggesting Motlop?
Have we forgotten him stomping on Sandi's toe earlier in the season?
An incident that seemed to trigger his turf toe issues...
Surely 211 wouldn't be too impressed having him on the same training track :p

Challenge you to come up with a better tactic if you were lining up on Sandi.

Not sure ballantyne's form and consistency warrants that sort of deal either.

No way. Ballas is worth every penny. Had a few hammy pings this year sure, but hey, such is our list.

Duffield on the other hand........... Dare I say it, but Cuddles was right.

Unbelievable that people think we can improve by selecting lazy players like Motlop, or soft outside front-runners like Pearce.

No way. Ballas is worth every penny. Had a few hammy pings this year sure, but hey, such is our list.

Not questioning his worth to the team when fit, but it is a distinct (albeit not probable) that his hamstrings could be shot in a year. And we'd be up shit creek then with a huge forward liability.

And i'd take Pearce or Surjan if they came cheap. Motlop I wouldn't wish on the Weagles. OK, I would. But wouldn't touch him personally with a 100 foot pole.

No way. Ballas is worth every penny. Had a few hammy pings this year sure, but hey, such is our list..

Ballantyne played undisciplined and often inconsistent football.

I want to see him closer to goal .....about 75% of the time, and to play aggressive but smart football.

For the talent he has, it was not his greatest effort.

Duffield on the other hand........... Dare I say it, but Cuddles was right.

Duffield has fought back from adversity before, I'm not so sure he wont stick it up all of next year.

Injuries robbed us of the opportunity to drop Duffield, I hope he re-invents himself ...if not Harves has to reward form and Souths get a boost.

He has brain fades in defence and sometimes takes too long to get rid of it. Not a good full-time option back there but still handy if having trouble getting it out of defence.

He chases and gut runs but he can't stick a tackle the way a Rioli or Davey can. He is not a lazy player.

Port aren't offering him another contract for next year, probably because of his age and the fact he hasn't contributed many goals this year so depending on what he wants to do next year you might be able to get him in the PSD.

Also the comments on Pearce and Surjan ITT are way off. Pearce would cost plenty and Surj would cost peanuts but be a very good pick up. I hope both are seen as required players but really I'm not sure what will happen with Surjan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo looking to trade in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back